VS on a Network Attached Storage (NSLU2 or Slug)

danno

27-03-2008 20:31:43

Is anyone else trying to use VS on a Network Attached Storage NAS (mine is Linksys NSLU2)? Right now I have VS software installed on laptop with my music on a USB hard-drive connected to the NSLU2. It works just great. What I am wondering is - Is there a way to load VS onto that HD and run it remotely maybe? The ultimate goal of course is to be able to turn off the laptop at any time and have VS always running on the NAS.

kjparenteau

28-03-2008 03:27:59

I don't believe there would be a way, but I could be wrong. I haven't done much with NAS technology. I would think it wouldn't work considering the OS requirements from VS.

An alternative is to do something like what I have. It can be an old crappy PC at that, just put it somewhere (mine is in my garage), and let that run all day. I have mine running Server 2003 and the hardware isn't very special at all. I just have a couple hard drives and I use DameWare to remote control that PC. So not only does it do my VS, but it also downloads those super big files for me while at work, hosts files, FTP, Webservers, the whole 9. If you want some more details on any of that, let me know. It works really well for my purposes.

For you, a solution like that would be to use the old crappy PC to only run the VS, and have that PC connected to the NAS through a mapped drive to grab your music. Then you don't need to have hard drives inside that PC other than a small one for the OS itself and the other basics. We're talkin you can dig something like this up for $50 or under at a garage sale or something. lol PIII or low end P4 with 512 megs of ram or something.

Guillaume

30-03-2008 15:31:51

VS will need Windows, so there's no way that'll work. The only device other than an ordinary PC that can run software is a router, not your NAS device. Some routers, like the Linksys WRT54G series and Asus WL-500G Premium can run customized Linux software, so it's already possible for those devices to act as a BitTorrent client. Since our beloved author is planning on a command-line Linux port of VS and possibly even making it open-source, there might be a chance to adapt the software in order to make it run on such routers.