Tips on external hd?

siit

11-09-2006 14:39:55

I'm currently looking for a nice solution for an external harddrive/NAS solution that supports RAID (mirror). There aren't really many out there and the only good ones I've found costs loads of money, and the cheap ones almost never have any cooling, except a aluminium chassi which isn't anywhere near what a harddrive that will be running 24/7 needs..

Soo .. anyone got any nice tips?

Khaotik

11-09-2006 15:42:48

Well a NAS is basically just a computer that has shared hard drives on a network. Just find/buy an older pc doesnt have to be expensive. Grab a Raid/Sata Card throw it and the drives in and boom. Sorry if this isnt what you meant. And if it wasnt explain more. I build computers as a hobby though I am A+ Certified.

g8trtim

11-09-2006 17:47:27

my goal, which is the cheapest and most bang for the buck, is to pick up a box from craigslist or build a new machine which will run ubuntu (after vibe is ported of course wink , set up as a raid1 server. Dell has some great deals out there right now on basic desktops for about 350$... december should have some amazing deals as dell competes with Mac for the holiday market. You dont need much power or speed to host a server and its great to offer your buddies free http serving!

Bulo

11-09-2006 21:59:36

I've got a Thecus N2100. It works well and it's not expensive.
[urli9ahgtrc]http://www.thecus.com/products_spec.php?cid=1&pid=1[/urli9ahgtrc]

It's running 24/7 since 6 months without problem D

g8trtim

11-09-2006 22:47:35

Bulo, is this running an operating system or is it simply a network enabled storage medium? The difference in my mind is that it would show up as a shared directory within your network, or can you define a specific ip address to it and access it outside your network? Can you install other software, say Vibe or Apache, rather than using its preinstalled itunes share software?
how much does this cost?

siit

11-09-2006 23:00:33

Thecus N2100 looks interesting. Sox also got me interested in this one http//www.chieftec.de/?page=products_b ... anguage=uk although I also need to buy a SATA RAID cart for my server, and I'm not even sure what raid card will work on my old server (333mhz )), so that option is a bit risky p

Khaotik

12-09-2006 03:16:58

You could grab a barebone computer off tigerdirect or something. I think this one would interest you.

http//www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 55&CatId=0

It looks badass and would be more than enough to run Vibestreamer and say Apache off of. Would be very nice. Just slap in Ubuntu. Which I use ) I love it.

I think this one would suit you more though. Cost a bit more too But you get alot more. Especially with the AM2 CPU socket. Im running a Athlon X2 5200+ Socket AM2 at 2.6ghz Its a beast...

http//www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 51&CatId=0

crimson

12-09-2006 12:03:46

http//www.freenas.org/

g8trtim

12-09-2006 17:00:37

can someone [try] to explain the reasons to use freeNAS rather than ubuntu? Seems its a stripped down version of an operating system capable of file sharing and FTP only (and of course RAID support). Would you be able to run Vibe on freeNAS?

This whole NAS concept is new to me but for the price, a linux or even windows based server seems like a more effective solution for the money. Am I wrong?

Amish

12-09-2006 22:12:17

NAS is Networked Storage. So the computer stays on and you can save stuff on it. Its sole purpose is to hold data and have a nice web interface to manage the data. Ubuntu comes with games and stuff wereas NAS has only the stuff it needs.

g8trtim

12-09-2006 22:50:43

I understand that much, but are you able to install apps such as apache, vibe, serv-u, etc on them? It seems they all have built in features however they are on simplified OS, such as a stripped freebsd. what advantage would one have over a 300$ linux box?

Khaotik

13-09-2006 10:32:02

NAS is Networked Storage. So the computer stays on and you can save stuff on it. Its sole purpose is to hold data and have a nice web interface to manage the data. Ubuntu comes with games and stuff wereas NAS has only the stuff it needs.[/quotepiz7rz9i]

But you could do a Server install of Ubuntu. Has No games, No BS. Besides from what I see FreeNAS is based of BSD which I despise for reasons which I will not disclose... )

Amish

13-09-2006 17:20:39

FreeNAS is a distro to SPECIFICALLY store data, if you want a server with APACHE and PHP install server ubuntu. End of story.

cheshireccat

26-09-2006 00:36:06

I picked up a Netgear SC101 on a whim a couple months ago at the local El Giganten (most of you have no idea, our version of circuit sity in Sweden) and it turns out to be rather nice, it gets warm, but has firmware upgrades to spin down when no in use and the aluminum fins disipate heat rather well, very cramped but allows mirroring. I have had issues with my new computer and it, but I think I have ironed them out. Netgear support sucks, but they are persistent. The bad thing is I canno access the drive directly from my linux machine, I have to go through network file share on my windows system or FTP through my windows system. But one thing that is great, it was ~$120 (1000SEK 4 months ago) so that is good.

cheshireccat

01-12-2006 15:39:54

I picked up a Netgear SC101 on a whim a couple months ago at the local El Giganten (most of you have no idea, our version of circuit sity in Sweden) and it turns out to be rather nice, it gets warm, but has firmware upgrades to spin down when no in use and the aluminum fins disipate heat rather well, very cramped but allows mirroring. I have had issues with my new computer and it, but I think I have ironed them out. Netgear support sucks, but they are persistent. The bad thing is I canno access the drive directly from my linux machine, I have to go through network file share on my windows system or FTP through my windows system. But one thing that is great, it was ~$120 (1000SEK 4 months ago) so that is good.[/quote1c1sfzal]

I completely take back this recommendation, it drops connection on wireless network and the transfer rate SUCKS!!!!

renyrurantu

10-04-2010 06:19:51

FreeNAS is a distro to SPECIFICALLY store data, if you want a server with APACHE and PHP install server ubuntu. End of story.[/quote1zcs9fh1]

that's right D