Spam - Let's End It

Phil

02-09-2006 21:57:46

Let's end the spam and add Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart (CAPTCHA). Either that our let's have some more aggressive moderation and removal of this spam.

QBOX2006

03-09-2006 00:45:36

I'm pretty sure the admin/mods can block the IPs from which these spammers are connecting. It's only a matter of time until most spammers are locked out... that is, if the admin/mods choose to.

Phil

04-09-2006 03:17:16

I'm pretty sure the admin/mods can block the IPs from which these spammers are connecting. It's only a matter of time until most spammers are locked out... that is, if the admin/mods choose to.[/quote26c60bfm]

This won't help as the spammers basically have an unlimited number of IP addresses. Not to mention the upkeep of banning by IP takes a lot of effort.

siit

04-09-2006 09:05:46

Later this week I'm gonna look into adding one more captcha to the registration or at least changing the captcha to a more complex one.

I'm also planning to add one or two more moderators since I at the moment really can't keep up with keeping my eye on the forum as intense as usual since I just started at a new job and that kinda takes quite a lot of dedication at the moment )

crimson

06-09-2006 23:43:24

[quotepjs442y7]I admin a PHPBB-based forum and the spam (from bots) was getting out of hand. They were going through the built-in CAPTCHA with no problem. The solution ended up being that I had to modify the registration form so that it wasn't just the default form. Throw a couple of oddball questions on the form, make them required, and bots can't deal with it since the bot script can't account for deviations from the norm.[/quotepjs442y7]
http//it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0 ... 0&from=rss

siit

07-09-2006 08:26:20

nice one! gave me a few ideas to try out, thanks!

crimson

09-09-2006 12:56:59

just put something simple like "Please type vibestreamer in this box" and make sure vibestreamer is in it when they register.

Simplistic but it may just be enough.