Linux Alternative?

mrkaylor

16-08-2006 08:15:34

I recently set out to set up my own personal music server. Since I have a few old machines (that can't run windows) sitting around I decided to set up a dedicated linux server... That is until I found this program. It is the best music server I've ever seen, which is my problem. Now I have Vibe Streamer running on my desktop machine, which I don't like. But I would like it to run on a linux box, sadly that day has not come yet.

Until that time can come does anyone know of a mildly comparable linux server that will hold me over until then?

Everyone i've tried so far pales in comparison to Vibe Streamer...

Thanks
Mike.

g8trtim

16-08-2006 19:30:09

I was playing around with Subsonic the other night... but didnt find it very user friendly. Also, its not a standalone app like vibe... its a config that runs inside a container which allows it to be OS independent.
I've heard that Vibe is being ported!

siit

16-08-2006 22:49:03

Who told you that? p

But well, there are plans currently in motion that might involve Linux prepations.... no promises made, but I'm doing my best to prepare for it to be done.

bigflavor

24-08-2006 01:16:11

this brings up an interesting question.

siit, how many people are actually programming? I get the feeling it's just lonesome you?

I know there's another dude who does something?

Who are you people anyway?! Who is this "Erik Nilsson" character? P

Where's the "about us?"

D

siit

24-08-2006 09:27:42

Haha,.. well, there won't be any "about us" part of the page yet as far as I know. It's all about Vibe Streamer you know, the rest isn't interesting )

But well, the short version.. Erik Nilsson is me, and I'm the only one doing the actual programming. The man behind the graphics of the website and the standard skin graphics is 'sox' (here on the forum) and he'll be the guy responsible for the new design of the standard skin aswell, just gotta get him a good whip so he gets finished )

Other than that I'd say that no-one else is deeply involved yet,.. well, if I may get the moment I would like to give some credit to dAEk (here on the forum) that has helped out loads with telling what's good and what are bad ideas, kinda like the guy I hassle for brainstorming sessions ) And for all of you guys that run Opera... if he hadn't gotten involved you would have had to use Firefox or IE like the rest of the world <grin> )

Soo, that's the story up to now.. )

seans888

24-08-2006 15:54:49

You might want to try using the wine program. Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix. Here is the link http//www.winehq.com/

crimson

29-08-2006 11:38:14

And for all of you guys that run Opera... if he hadn't gotten involved you would have had to use Firefox or IE like the rest of the world <grin> )[/quote16uii286]
All Hail dAEk! P

dAEk

31-08-2006 21:09:58

Thx for the kind words, siit. D

Sorry for me not having the time to stop by here more frequently, I've been crazy busy lately. I'll return when/if things settle down a bit...
I've only been home for about 1.5 hour and it's already time to continue coding, yay! lol