My wishlist

littleclown

08-12-2009 09:18:55

Start Minimized option.
Full administrative control from web
Remember the current music list
Double click on a playlist just to load the playlist.
Compact mode of the web interface, will be great especially for guys who using chrome apps.
better tag support
Video player
Image viewer
File manager (upload, download, media and other files)

I know some of my wishes are really complicated, and its not possible to develop them in short time, but this tool have real potential, and I think if the author hurry to add something more its possible to make the best program in this range.

The main opponent here is Opera unite, but people just don't like it, but see the idea, and search the web for other variants - use this fact! )

Phil

08-12-2009 18:29:56

I'd like Vibe Streamer to also make me a hot cup of coffee in the morning!

MockY

09-12-2009 07:37:17

I'd like Vibe Streamer to also make me a hot cup of coffee in the morning![/quote257d5rhg]
VS kicks so much ass that I would not be surprised if it actually does. Have you tried? )

littleclown

09-12-2009 09:25:43

Phil, what is the problem?
I am in "Features" where can I share my ideas, right?

And if you are member here for 3+ year and still can't get the idea of this sub-forum - bad for you.

Every my proposal is possible to be done in the future - nothing paranormal and/or useless.

I know the author now need to improve the music part and he will think about other media or file futures after that, but its not block me to share what i think about vibe streamer.

There is no good full-featured software for home streaming with web interface - only Opera, but as I already said it have many many bugs right now, but Opera is one step from this - if developers of Opera makes the web interface more comparable with other browsers and makes the server part as a windows services - independent from Opera itself this will blow away all other uncompleted softwares like vibe streamer. But I hate opera and thats why i think its important for vibe streamer to be developed faster...

Yukiko

09-12-2009 14:22:30

Here's my opinions on your suggestions. Remember you didn't pay for my thoughts so they are probably worth what you paid.
*grins*

[b2lpov2jt]Start Minimized option. [/b2lpov2jt]
Start minimized would be nice but for me that's not an issue.

[b2lpov2jt]Full administrative control from web[/b2lpov2jt]
I am always cautious with having full administrative control available over the web. If that could be switched on or off in settings then I guess it would be OK.

[b2lpov2jt]Remember the current music list [/b2lpov2jt]
I assume you mean that you want Vibe to remember whatever playlist you had up the last time you were logged in and display that when you return to the web page rather than having to load a saved list. That would be a nice feature.

[b2lpov2jt]Double click on a playlist just to load the playlist[/b2lpov2jt]
Can HTML/java-script recognise double-click events? If so then yeah this would be good.

[b2lpov2jt]Compact mode of the web interface, will be great especially for guys who using chrome apps. [/b2lpov2jt]
Makes no difference to me but why not. I assume the user would set this up in a user profile type of thing.

[b2lpov2jt]better tag support [/b2lpov2jt]
Yep. I always like as many tags available as possible.

[b2lpov2jt]Video player
Image viewer[/b2lpov2jt]
I would love the idea of streaming video. I don't know that much about how it is done but I think if you want to stream video into a Flash object (is that the right terminology?) it nust exist on the server machine in a Flash format or be transcoded into Flash prior to streaming it. I think that would require a lot of processor power just to play one video. Imagine having ten or more users attempting to stream videos at the same time. Now if any video format could be streamed then the transcoding overhead would not be a problem.

[b2lpov2jt]File manager (upload, download, media and other files) [/b2lpov2jt]
You are definitely not alone on this one. Many of us would like this feature. I am not sure about the legal implications of users being able to download copyrighted material. Well, that's not true. I am sure of the legal implications. It isn't legal. However, this is still a desirable feature.

Phil

09-12-2009 17:03:16

Phil, what is the problem?
I am in "Features" where can I share my ideas, right?

And if you are member here for 3+ year and still can't get the idea of this sub-forum - bad for you.[/quote3mtg0ius]

Yes, this is where you share your feature requests as I've done so myself on occasion. While I love Vibe Streamer this isn't an open source project, rather a 1-man project, and some features such as image viewer, video streamer and file management are a bit unrealistic in my opinion and there are other means of accomplishing those tasks readily available.

littleclown

09-12-2009 18:14:19

Thats why maybe vibestreamer should be an open source project, but this is a author decision.

The image viewer is the easest part at all because there is no streaming anyway. You already can see the cover of the albums on the left panel, right?
The File viewer is maybe a little out of context, but vibestreamer is a one step from read-only view because you already can see and actually download mp3 files - there is no difference what kind of types you can download anyway. If I rename one file to *.mp3 I will be able to download it, right?

I am sure the video request is maybe the most difficult, but if the author decide something about that he can use some open source project for that - there is a lot of free flash player available for downloading.

Phil

09-12-2009 18:25:09

Point taken littleclown. I however would like to see Vibe Streamer's music streaming honed as close to perfection as possible. Video streaming can be done by VLC Media Player, Google, Yahoo!, Kodak all have image hosting services and file sharing can easily be done by running an FTP server, P2P file-sharing or using one of the many file-hosting sites available. Regardless, this is just my opinion.

littleclown

09-12-2009 18:30:33

Yeah, but I can use VLC to play music too, right?
Then why I should use VibeStreamer? I will tell you why Vibestreamer don't require any other actions to stram mp3 - no need to install something on a client computer and no need to fight with office firewall!

If you use google Yahoo and Kodak you will need to upload pictures first
If you want to upload something with FTP you need to install and configure FTP server, and install and configure FTP client. Why to do that if one simple tool just can do it right now.

If the author just thinks like you he will use VLC player for streaming and will never see the reason to make Vibestreamer!

littleclown

09-12-2009 19:04:53

Oh and something that is mandatory for every player
Equalizer, or maybe just pre-defined equalizer settings like rock, pop, techno, etc.

Phil

09-12-2009 19:13:40

Oh and something that is mandatory for every player
Equalizer, or maybe just pre-defined equalizer settings like rock, pop, techno, etc.[/quote1oygtt4h]

Agree. I would love to see an equalizer added.

MockY

09-12-2009 19:40:18

If you want to upload something with FTP you need to install and configure FTP server, and install and configure FTP client.[/quotezs67nltt]
The server should have an FTP server running either way. How else are you adding to the server if not on the same network? Windows doesn't have native SSH capabilities. Furthermore, every OS has FTP capabilities already enabled and there is no need at all to install any FTP client if you don't want to. For windows, Explorer (as well as IE) has it built in. Just use the ftp protocol instead of the http when pointing to the server (like so ftp//serveripport). Every Linux distro has it built in as well. Nautilus (for GNOME) connects just fine to any FTP server.

littleclown

09-12-2009 20:00:10

Yeah is so simple.. just like nobody will do it anyway, because (surprise) is not just like that, but you maybe know that... it will not work by default because FTP server component is not installed by default.

MockY

09-12-2009 23:32:38

Yeah is so simple.. just like nobody will do it anyway, because (surprise) is not just like that, but you maybe know that... it will not work by default because FTP server component is not installed by default.[/quote19fu5dvf]
VibeStreamer does not come installed by default either, so I don't see your point here.

littleclown

10-12-2009 00:24:18

The point is that your information about "FTP server on every OS by default" is wrong! I can see the point to give wrong information.
And the other really obvious point is that when somebody need something simple - remotely usage and manage music to do NOT install more than one server application, do NOT care what is FTP, can he use it at the office, can he configure it right (I know only slow people and dummies can't do it, but... your mother or father can't too, right? Why they can't... its so so simple), etc.

Why the feedback about this so logical feature request is so angry, and non-sense... this kill the idea about improvements at all!

Because if I use, FTP server, FTP client (or browser), VLC for video streming and google or Kodak for images, why the hell should I use Vibestreamer? For mp3? Hell no - because I already have tons of software and they already can play AND manage music!

Yukiko

10-12-2009 16:04:55

I use a free (for non-commercial use) FTP called Cerebrus (http//www.cerberusftp.com/). It's easy to set-up and has a few features I haven't seen on any FTP server before. One I really like; you can set it to auto ban an IP for attempting [i2qli85jk]and[/i2qli85jk] failing to successfully log-in after a user defined number of failures. This is very nice. It helps to prevent brute force attacks on usernames/passwords. There's quite a few more nice features but you go see for yourself. Oh yes one other feature, it can be set to run as a service from the options. I don't care much for that option though because when I set it up as a service I can't get the GUI to open.

Phil

10-12-2009 16:45:07

Autoban [i13lgqhat]used[/i13lgqhat] to be included with Mozilla's FileZilla server, but has since been removed. FileZilla progressively delays the time between subsequent failed log-ins which is the correct way to do it. This method prevents banning of IPs which could effectively ban a lot of legitimate users (e.g., public proxies, universities or routers).

MockY

11-12-2009 01:04:26

The point is that your information about "FTP server on every OS by default" is wrong! I can see the point to give wrong information.[/quote3qcyt0l5]
Do you even read the posts or do you select what you want to read? I did NOT say such, so please learn to quote people correctly. I did simply say that all modern OSes has FTP capabilities (connect to FTP servers) enabled/available by default. And what possible point did you see in giving wrong information, especially since I did not do such.

And the other really obvious point is that when somebody need something simple - remotely usage and manage music to do NOT install more than one server application, do NOT care what is FTP, can he use it at the office, can he configure it right (I know only slow people and dummies can't do it, but... your mother or father can't too, right? Why they can't... its so so simple), etc.[/quote3qcyt0l5]
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I don't care about the grammar if it's still readable, but I have issues understanding this one. All I can interpret is an attempt to badmouth "dummies", "slow people" and parents. Why that is even relevant to your issue is beyond me.

why the hell should I use Vibestreamer? For mp3? Hell no - because I already have tons of software and they already can play AND manage music![/quote3qcyt0l5]
Then why are you using it?

You were given options by the forum members. And instead of exploring those options, you turned them down and stamping them as "geeky" and claimed that these options are not for the regular user. Since you are in no shape of form willing to listen, I have no further ambitions to help you. I'm not the one loosing out by doing so.

Good luck with whatever endeavor you embark in.

MockY

11-12-2009 01:10:02

Autoban [id79t55n5]used[/id79t55n5] to be included with Mozilla's FileZilla server, but has since been removed. FileZilla progressively delays the time between subsequent failed log-ins which is the correct way to do it. This method prevents banning of IPs which could effectively ban a lot of legitimate users (e.g., public proxies, universities or routers).[/quoted79t55n5]
I have yet to use FileZilla since I exclusively use ServU, but I know some friends who do. To be quite honest, I use ServU with default setting (apart from active/passive ports) so I don't know what policies it has enabled by default. But the progressive delay seems really nice. And since my favorite Linux FTP client bareFTP seems sluggish when connecting to ServU (this is just a theory at this point though) I might consider to try FileZilla out.

Yukiko

11-12-2009 14:52:27

Yeah, autoban under "normal" circumstances could cause the issues you suggest Phil. In my case though there are only two users authorized to FTP into my system so I wouldn't have to deal with the situations you cited.

littleclown

22-12-2009 23:03:08

MockY, you just can't understand, right?

What kind of solution if FTP anyway... how many people have FTP port open at work (if they work in a big company)?? It's ridiculous!

If I need to use and manage mp3 files remotely why do I need to use FTP AND music stream server, if i can just use one of these - music stream server?

Because I have modern OS on my two PCs that I use - my home PC and my office PC. BOTH PCs don't support FTP servers by default. And maybe I should use some extra-feature-modern-cool-free-opensource-command-line OS with FTP SERVER enabled by default... I don't know.

Because you talk about connection to FTP server... but every average normal guy just doesn't have FTP server already installed.

Here is no place to give me alternative options for my personal wanted features. I don't care how to do this or that, out of Vibe streamer, because (OH MY GOD IT'S SO OBVIOUS) I want them in vibestreamer. Because I am in VIBE STREAMER forum in FEATURES subforum... How can you think I need information how to manage mp3 file in GENERAL but not in VIBE STREAMER context?

For other big heads here - please don't give me 3rd party solutions here - it's not a general forum for software solutions, just a vibestreamer features forum...

thiru06

23-12-2009 16:20:19

MockY, you just can't understand, right?

What kind of solution if FTP anyway... how many people have FTP port open at work (if they work in a big company)?? It's ridiculous!

If I need to use and manage mp3 files remotely why do I need to use FTP AND music stream server, if i can just use one of these - music stream server?

Because I have modern OS on my two PCs that I use - my home PC and my office PC. BOTH PCs don't support FTP servers by default. And maybe I should use some extra-feature-modern-cool-free-opensource-command-line OS with FTP SERVER enabled by default... I don't know.

Because you talk about connection to FTP server... but every average normal guy just doesn't have FTP server already installed.

Here is no place to give me alternative options for my personal wanted features. I don't care how to do this or that, out of Vibe streamer, because (OH MY GOD IT'S SO OBVIOUS) I want them in vibestreamer. Because I am in VIBE STREAMER forum in FEATURES subforum... How can you think I need information how to manage mp3 file in GENERAL but not in VIBE STREAMER context?

For other big heads here - please don't give me 3rd party solutions here - it's not a general forum for software solutions, just a vibestreamer features forum...[/quote1wbtc6ud]

try "Server-U FTP Server",, i've used it before D, I'm just pushing your button to see if you would explode lol , take it easy bro!

littleclown

23-12-2009 18:27:21

thiru06, ).

Tjaah

14-01-2010 14:06:03

hi,

I'm now using an ftp server in front of vibestreamer, it doesn't allow every people to upload things because it is to difficult for some, but that is OK because the music library doesn't get messed up.

A suggestion for an other feature
Maybe it is possible to add back and forward navigation buttons to the explore menu, now you navigate to the map you want but if you want to go back you have to search and navigate it in the left tree menu.

greetings.

Phil

14-01-2010 17:52:01

A suggestion for an other feature
Maybe it is possible to add back and forward navigation buttons to the explore menu, now you navigate to the map you want but if you want to go back you have to search and navigate it in the left tree menu.[/quote2b5bz4qr]

A parent directory link would be great and is much needed, especially when using the search feature. I believe this has been requested before.