Upload Function

Tjaah

07-12-2009 16:06:29

Hi,

I Found out Vibe Streamer. It works really great, and i thing greater with the features witch are up coming. I want to use is on a music server, when it is possible to upload music from other locations by admin users it is really simple to have the music database up to date. Is it possible to add this feature?

Greatings.

Phil

07-12-2009 16:42:47

This would be perfect for a FTP server.

nicknack

08-12-2009 08:25:15

Yes put FTP Server's root directory on top of VS directory with the mp3s.
Then set VS to automatically re-index the directory to some intervals.
It will detect the new song with every re-index.

If you want web based upload tool, try various opensource php file managers. That should do it.

littleclown

08-12-2009 09:09:27

The Idea is to use and manage everything from one tool.
The upload is a good idea.

Tjaah

08-12-2009 11:05:42

With a FTP server it isn't user friendly. Some geeks want to upload to, if everything is in one application it is really simple and user friendly. But I totally agree with the wishlist of little clown in the other topic. [url2ie4otl3]http://www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771[/url2ie4otl3]

Phil

08-12-2009 16:48:34

The upload is a good idea.[/quotersz5dmys]

Managing [irsz5dmys]everything[/irsz5dmys] is a pipe dream. Take Microsoft for example. They want to and have tried to provide every service imaginable, but their products continue to fall short of other available offerings. Vibe Streamer is no different and should continue to be developed to do what it was designed to do stream music.

With a FTP server it isn't user friendly.[/quotersz5dmys]

Setting up a FTP server is no more difficult than setting up Vibe Streamer with the exception of clients having to install a FTP client.

MockY

09-12-2009 07:33:55

Setting up a FTP server is no more difficult than setting up Vibe Streamer with the exception of clients having to install a FTP client.[/quote1ye9c10a]

+1

Yukiko

09-12-2009 14:46:59

I don't see a problem with having uploading of music as a feature. You would run into the problem of users just dropping music into your main music directory in random locations. For those like me who try to organise their music collections in sub-directories this would be an issue. Ofcourse you could have a special "upload" directory but then you have to administer that and manually move uploaded files to the proper location. That's the price you pay if you want that available.

I fail to see the analogy between Vibe Streamer and Microsoft. I assume Phil was referring to Microsoft [i1fya5k5w]Windows[/i1fya5k5w] and not the company. I agree that Windows has been a terribly insecure operating system. That is changing as vulnerabilities are found. Any operating system has vulnerabilities due to its complexity. Even the revered Linux OS has had vulnerabilities. There is a big difference between an operating system and an application though. So if/when Vibe Streamer becomes an operating system then I agree with Phil but for now it's just an application.

Phil

09-12-2009 17:11:19

I was referring to Microsoft's attempts at applications specifically and falling short (think browser, anti-virus, etc.).

littleclown

09-12-2009 18:20:09

The upload is a good idea.[/quotedr5gxf5j]

Managing [idr5gxf5j]everything[/idr5gxf5j] is a pipe dream. Take Microsoft for example. They want to and have tried to provide every service imaginable, but their products continue to fall short of other available offerings. Vibe Streamer is no different and should continue to be developed to do what it was designed to do stream music.

With a FTP server it isn't user friendly.[/quotedr5gxf5j]

Setting up a FTP server is no more difficult than setting up Vibe Streamer with the exception of clients having to install a FTP client.[/quotedr5gxf5j]

I think its really logical one stream server to have an upload option. Think about it - you want to listen your music somewhere you have no player and/or permittion to download nothing etc. Many people use this tool to listen music from workplace - why they should learn how to use FTP tools, install FTP tools on the workplace PC and somehow fight with the office firewall to enable FTP ports?

Phil, we already see you think this project is perfect right now and it don't need any improvement, but I really think that Vibestreamer is really incoplete solution and upload is perfectly in-context of this tool.

Phil

09-12-2009 18:39:48

Vibe Stream isn't perfect. I never said nor thought that. You know my opinion so I won't repeat them again.

MockY

09-12-2009 19:10:15

Many people use this tool to listen music from workplace - why they should learn how to use FTP tools, install FTP tools on the workplace PC and somehow fight with the office firewall to enable FTP ports?[/quote2gt3zy7j]
Why on earth would people be uploading music to a remote server while at work? I doubt it is a part of the work description, hence the restrictions companies put on their networks.
I really think that Vibestreamer is really incoplete solution and upload is perfectly in-context of this tool.[/quote2gt3zy7j]
Again, why would you prefer to upload using HTTP when FTP is far superior in every possible way? Furthermore, I don't understand the need for wanting to have the visitors upload to the server in this maner. Vibestreamer is not made with the intention of creating a sharing portal. Use any of the public/private torrent trackers for such activities. Vibestreamer is made to STREAM music, and imo that is the ONLY thing it should do, and that it should do well. All these bells and whistles that have nothing to do with streaming the actual content of the server creates bloat, and I hate bloat...not to mention the potential chaos uploading would create when no one is monitoring the integrity of the files that are being added.

littleclown

09-12-2009 19:53:49

[quote2hk79d2j]gain, why would you prefer to upload using HTTP when FTP is far superior in every possible way?[/quote2hk79d2j]

Am I stupid, or just unclear?

FTP require to install FTP server in home and FTP client in OFFICE! There is a lot of restrictions, but mp3 normally can be shared at work, but can't be installed additional software like ftp client. And FTP client works on a different port and uses different software - no just browser. And when you have only http access its really really really more easy to use browser with standard http access to play, download and upload mp3 files.

Stop thinking that everybody are geeks who can and want to create geek miracles like ftp connections to home PC (if you think this is not miracle - ask your mother can she do it).

I really appreciate and respect the vibestreamer project, but this tool will just disappear, when the guys from Opera fix the bugs that now stops me and many other to use it. Do you know how many people download Opera Unite in one week? 12 million people! And this is a record because of the new functionality - Unite.

Maybe you don't interested but Unite Have all features that Vibestream have, but have additional features like - image browsing, file manager, and notes. They are close to create a complete web-based sharing solution for home files. They will seperate the server part from the browser and there will be no need to use Opera as a browser. Nobody will search for alternative and I am complete sure nobody will search for someting with less feature, pure-er interface and less settings like Vibestream.
As I already said I hate Opera and I want to see Vibestream as a real alternative.

If you want to develop real software - don't think like software developer - the normal people don't like this.

MockY

09-12-2009 23:29:04

Stop thinking that everybody are geeks who can and want to create geek miracles like ftp connections to home PC (if you think this is not miracle - ask your mother can she do it). [/quote3a1r0fvd]
What do you know about what I think? When did I ever hint that I think everyone are geeks?
Throwing out generic and irrelevant generalizations will not win you any arguments, so stop using them as facts. In this case, a female who gives birth are automatically computer illiterate? Why don't you toss in all grandmothers while you're at it. After all, you seem to know how it is out there. Not only is this kind of thinking demeaning and jerkish, it's inaccurate. Just because you personally don't have knowledge in something does not mean that non-"geeks" are sitting in the same boat.

I really appreciate and respect the vibestreamer project, but this tool will just disappear, when the guys from Opera fix the bugs that now stops me and many other to use it. Do you know how many people download Opera Unite in one week? 12 million people! And this is a record because of the new functionality - Unite.[/quote3a1r0fvd]
This makes you sound like a troll and again, you spit out wild and wide generalizations. And since you think that VS will vanish, why do you even bother requesting features?

If you want to develop real software - don't think like software developer - the normal people don't like this.[/quote3a1r0fvd]
I don't think I have ever read a response with so many generalizations and "facts" based on your own beliefs and wants.

Look, my point that I was trying to get across is that VibeStreamer is sitting on a machine that hosts the music. And since you have permissions to install software on this particular machine already, installing a FTP server is just as easy, something you for whatever odd reason refuse to believe. Before going on a rant of how awful FTP is, try it out. FileZilla and Serv-U are both very easy to set up and manage. Stating the opposite is just plain ignorant.

Furthermore, every modern OS has FTP capabilities enabled by default. So in other words, no client is needed to be installed. There are also a myriad of websites that enables you to communicate with the FTP server straight from the browser. Both methods are discussed in abundance on the net, just just have to use your friend Google to find the answer, or simply clickHERE[/url3a1r0fvd].

littleclown

10-12-2009 00:16:18

[quote1lxlumi3]And since you think that VS will vanish, why do you even bother requesting features?
[/quote1lxlumi3]

Oh my god, do you really can't see the logic here?
If you want some software to stay alive, you request features - how can this can be more simple??

[quote1lxlumi3]And since you have permissions to install software on this particular machine already, installing a FTP server is just as easy, something you for whatever odd reason refuse to believe. [/quote1lxlumi3]

You have permission on your machine to develop a software just like vibestream, you don't do this, right? And you know this is not a conversation about permission on a home PC.

[quote1lxlumi3]Before going on a rant of how awful FTP is, try it out. FileZilla and Serv-U are both very easy to set up and manage. Stating the opposite is just plain ignorant.[/quote1lxlumi3]

Easy for who, my friend? For you? Sure. For me - Maybe (you can talk about MY knowledge easy, but you don't know nothing about me. I talk about non-IT persons - who will told them that FTP client is so cool and so easy to use..)

[quote1lxlumi3]Furthermore, every modern OS has FTP capabilities enabled by default.[/quote1lxlumi3]

I know Windows is not a modern OS for you, but the WORLD don't think like that... just see the stats. There is no FTP enabled by default in Windows home versions (we still talking about average home user, right?)

Yeah I know you can use web browser for FTP transfer, but this is the worst way to use FTP EVER!

And SURPRISE - this method still don't use http ports! Maybe you don't work in real office envoriement, but FTP transfer is NOT ALLOWED even if you use your browser, and know I generalize again, but this is fact about almost every office with real sysadmin. Why the hell someone will leave FTP in the office anyway?

Yukiko

10-12-2009 16:24:39

I was referring to Microsoft's attempts at applications specifically and falling short (think browser, anti-virus, etc.).[/quote1bnujqi4]

Every application or OS has bugs and vulnerabilities. One of the reasons Microsoft's product's vulnerabilities are exposed is because a lot of people actually [i1bnujqi4]use[/i1bnujqi4] them. Only systems and applications that offer a large attack surface, ie. ones that are widely used (primarily in business) will come under attack. Every so often even Linux and other open source software are found to have problems. The most recent is TLS. But I do understand your point.

Phil

10-12-2009 16:48:11

I agree with you, but I'm not talking about vulnerabilities. I'm talking about the capabilities or lack thereof.

mrloopie

11-12-2009 03:32:23

As far as an upload feature for VS, that would be okay with me. My experience with FTP is that I had more problems with it than say using HFS or Weezo. It's not that I can't figure out how to correctly use an FTP client or properly set up a server...I have done both. My mother and brother, who are not so tech savy, had a much easier time with the http solutions I provided ...also my work blocks all ftp traffic.
It is very possible that I didn't search hard enough for an easier ftp solution.

Now, if VS could be combined with HFS or used to replace the Weezo player I would be estatic. Uploads, downloads, files and songs...OH MY!!

I love the VS interface and features!!

Phil

11-12-2009 17:31:24

It is very possible that I didn't search hard enough for an easier ftp solution.[/quote2jozguib]

Both have their pro and cons, that's for certain. For an easy FTP solution, FireFTP is a Firefox plug-in that provides all the necessary FTP capabilities right from the browser.

mrloopie

11-12-2009 23:47:41

Thanks Phil. I will check it out. I just switched my mom over to Firefox so this may work...