Vibe Streamer 3.0.1 released

siit

11-11-2009 23:57:21

Version 3.0.1 is now released, containing

- Minor bugfixes
- Upgraded Ext JS to 2.3.0
- Modified and refactored web client structure
- Implemented settings dialog in web client that is only
available to administrators (see user/group dialog on server)

I'll have this version be out for a while (just to make sure no critical changes are required) before I post some guidelines on theming and plugin development, together with the flash source and the non-minified javascript source.

Enjoy!

MockY

12-11-2009 09:28:54

Sweet!
I will immediately install it.
Some questions though should the current install be removed before installing this version, or should you just go ahead and install it over the existing install? What is the preferred method?

I found the Settings feature a bit confusing but after some tweaking I got the group permissions to act like it should.
Also, I would actually prefer to have the Last.fm tab to be last in the left pane. Is there a way to change the order?

I also noticed that the Now Playing "bug" is fixed. Very nice.
Also, the GUI seems to be much more responsive and the issues I had previously seems to be gone. Obviously I have to use it some more from different locations and computers to see a real change, but it seems like it is for the better.

In the new Settings console, there is an entry for Title. I previously had it showing the currently played song. Will this overwrite whatever I change in the actual file?

siit

12-11-2009 10:03:06

[quote11dzs78s]I will immediately install it.
Some questions though should the current install be removed before installing this version, or should you just go ahead and install it over the existing install? What is the preferred method? [/quote11dzs78s]

You will be recommended to reinstall by the installer if needed. So if you don't get a warning you can just go ahead and install it on top of the existing one.

[quote11dzs78s]I found the Settings feature a bit confusing but after some tweaking I got the group permissions to act like it should.[/quote11dzs78s]
Yea it's not 100% perfect, although I have played around with it a lot and for now that's the best idea I had without having more than one dialog and more complex code than needed.. If anyone have ideas for improvements they're more than welcome. At least now it's possible to have web client settings )

[quote11dzs78s]Also, I would actually prefer to have the Last.fm tab to be last in the left pane. Is there a way to change the order?[/quote11dzs78s]
At the moment it's not possible to change the order of the plugin modules. They're added alphabetically since that's the way the OS reads the files.. but when added, I can say whether they should be at the top of at the bottom.. same goes there.. I didn't have a good idea on how to solve it at the moment, and I prefer keeping it simple until an idea pops up.

Phil

12-11-2009 19:11:28

The client-side admin control panel is a nice addition! You mentioned an iPhone client. Is this available?

Thanks Siit.

thiru06

12-11-2009 21:16:50

Thanks Sitt, the web-based admin setting are great... I though you would include download icon with the 3.0.1 release.... but over all, it's great!

siit

12-11-2009 23:18:23

[quote1wkj24q0]The client-side admin control panel is a nice addition! You mentioned an iPhone client. Is this available? [/quote1wkj24q0]

As I said earlier I'll hand it out later, I need to handle one thing at a time...
Though I can say already that it's more of a concept-test and not much more than a pre-alpha really, and at the moment I'm way to busy with all other demands and wishes to focus on something like that.. so I'd say it's something that someone might wanna play around with and maybe develop further..

siit

12-11-2009 23:20:51

[quoteqf44akow]Thanks Sitt, the web-based admin setting are great... I though you would include download icon with the 3.0.1 release.... but over all, it's great![/quoteqf44akow]

Glad you like it.It's hard to meet everyones demands with each release and I'll just have to put what I think is most important at the moment as a priority, and this time it was to refactor the web client and make sure it's ready for people to start playing around with it themselves..

Phil

12-11-2009 23:22:45

so I'd say it's something that someone might wanna play around with and maybe develop further..[/quote1x05n8nj]

That's precisely why I'd like to get it. I'd even consider developing an iPhone application for Vibe Streamer were there enough interest.

siit

12-11-2009 23:29:35

[quote1is5t29r]I'd even consider developing an iPhone application for Vibe Streamer were there enough interest.[/quote1is5t29r]

There is definitely enough interest. Although I think it's possible to do something good using just a few of the libraries out there... so an app might not really be needed, at first at least...

I've played around with IUI for this one, but recently I've noticed that jqtouch is more of how I'd like it do be, since it's integrated with jquery.. so even if I release something that pretty much just works here using the IUI version, it wouldn't be the way I'd develop it if I were to do it seriously..

But as always.. if people are interested, they will have my full support if they want to develop something for Vibe Streamer... But for me, it's a matter of time that I dont have to develop every feature I'd like to have... unless I actually started getting some money from this, so I could afford to put more time into it. )

B-22

13-11-2009 12:01:33

huh! siit why is it not catching ? is it something i do wrong ,in the settings menu [allow cathing] to a group .but its just reload the song over again ,if set it to {true} to a particular group and so far i can see its not catching the song shock

siit

13-11-2009 14:15:05

[quote1ck4gltl]huh! siit why is it not catching Question is it something i do wrong ,in the settings menu [allow cathing] to a group .but its just reload the song over again ,if set it to {true} to a particular group and so far i can see its not catching the song[/quote1ck4gltl]

I cannot enforce caching to the client. That's why it's called "allow caching"... it simply ignores any caching parameters from the http server. It is totally up to your browser whether it wants to cache or not, so check your browser settings.

ahmahmahm

14-11-2009 19:51:13

[quote2hse7fgx]huh! siit why is it not catching Question is it something i do wrong ,in the settings menu [allow cathing] to a group .but its just reload the song over again ,if set it to {true} to a particular group and so far i can see its not catching the song[/quote2hse7fgx]

I cannot enforce caching to the client. That's why it's called "allow caching"... it simply ignores any caching parameters from the http server. It is totally up to your browser whether it wants to cache or not, so check your browser settings.[/quote2hse7fgx]
Hi. The caching would be great, but I can't get it to work either.

I have my current 2.0.6 install, and then on another test box, the new 3.0.1, with "allow caching" set at true, and have even restarted the Vibe Streamer 3.0.1 server.

Pointing my browser at the 2.06 server shows caching working as always; pointing the browser at the new VS 3.0.1 shows no caching - I can see a song being re-loaded over the network each time I play it, even if I only just played it. No changes to browser config in between these tests.

Tried with IE 7, Firefox 3.0 and Chrome 3.0, and all are the same they cache when talking to VS 2.06 and not when talking to VS 3.0.1. I have Flash Player 10,0,22,87 installed, and the OS under the browsers is Win XP SP3.

cheers Andy

siit

14-11-2009 21:36:36

[quote32nv3e06]Tried with IE 7, Firefox 3.0 and Chrome 3.0, and all are the same they cache when talking to VS 2.06 and not when talking to VS 3.0.1. I have Flash Player 10,0,22,87 installed, and the OS under the browsers is Win XP SP3. [/quote32nv3e06]

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it and see if I've missed something.

B-22

24-11-2009 12:34:47

hey siit sorry to bother you again !! maybe its simple if found a bug in the reindexing section some of my tracks won't index first i thougt it maybe a browser problem ,but that wasn't the problem either ,so i renamed the tracks and reindext again but still i get the problem that it wont play ,some of the tracks are 192kb so i converted the tracks to 128,so i was glad with the next reindex that they play flawless,but where is the bug i got some tracks in other maps in vs3.1 that has the same bitrate 192kb ,no problem but then i tried another map with the same bithrate and if got a 00.00 time when i load it to the player...and refused to play is there something i have missed or what i should do ?