Vibe Streamer 3 officially released

siit

18-09-2009 13:20:24

Hi everyone!

After a an alpha and beta stage that feels like forever,.. today I finally released the first version of Vibe Streamer 3 officially.

A big thanks to everyone that helped out during the entire process and a huge thanks to all of you at the forum who has helped out with the testing and new ideas. Check out the credits page for additional thanks D http//www.vibestreamer.com/credits.php

Anyways, enjoy!

Yukiko

19-09-2009 10:10:17

Thank you Siit!

Just installed it and so far all seems well. Have not played with it very much yet though.

B-22

20-09-2009 16:19:27

looks stable to me siit,and again thanx for the hard work D

but as you mention can you also post the player.fla file, i dont like the look of the player i want a darker theme !

oh, by the way you rock dude lol

siit

20-09-2009 21:02:10

Sure thing I'll post it. I don't have it available at the moment so I'll do it later. There is a plan to make theming easier in the future, but for now you'll have to do the changes in the flash itself, as well as in the css files.

Look up some info on theming ExtJS as well. There are a few themes out there already, in fact the gray one I use default in Vibe Streamer is an ExtJS theme itself.

MockY

21-09-2009 07:40:22

Fantastic news! Been in Vegas over the weekend and just installed it on my main server. Seems to work like it should.

An observation
The folder that is added to VS has 2838 subfolders. It takes 5 seconds before the subfolders are displayed when expanded, so not instant as in earlier versions (but with much smaller collection). I don't know if it is like that by design or because of the amount of folders that needs to be displayed, but I thought you should know.

Thank you so much for providing me and everyone else with this software. I'm forever grateful. Tack som fan.

pcug

21-09-2009 20:12:13

I thought you should know that when I installed 3.0, the old settings were not saved. This is because the install directory had an added space in the folder name, I assume.

Everything seems to be working correctly, though, after adding all my users and groups in the new version.

I hope it will not be too long before you can support unicode.

I really need it to process Greek characters. I do know this feature has been asked for since 2006. Is is a problem with any of the codesets you use?

MockY

23-09-2009 21:04:07

This is probably not the place for bug reports, but due to the lack of one, I'll post the first found bug here.

The admin GUI does not open after 3 days. VS still works but the GUI window does not open. When trying by either double clicking the icon in the taskbar or right clicking it and choosing "show window", the only thing that happens is that VS does indeed show up as an active window on the taskbar, but no window. When clicking it (simulating a minimize by clicking on it) makes it disappear. No other option is available either (such as maximize).

So now I can't properly close VS and I'm afraid that all playlists and such wont be saved if I force quit it.

martinobianco

24-09-2009 23:47:10

Well done! You deserve a vacation.

I've installed the new version and it works like a charm.

Thanks

siit

25-09-2009 07:12:14

[quote3pz902v0]This is probably not the place for bug reports, but due to the lack of one, I'll post the first found bug here.[/quote3pz902v0]
Heya, yea it's probably better to create a new thread for new bugs from now on. So other people can easily find it if they experience the same bug. But no worries )

[quote3pz902v0]So now I can't properly close VS and I'm afraid that all playlists and such wont be saved if I force quit it.[/quote3pz902v0]
The bug you've gotten is a hard one to track down. Does the server still work ok? Meaning, is it just the admin GUI that has frozen on you?

Anyways, Vibe 3 saves all stuff automatically once per hour, and some things, such as playlists are actually saved instantly when you create them or modify them. So if you see the playlists from the web client, then they should be there the next time you start the server again. Even if you crash the server now since it's frozen.

Ghost1000

25-09-2009 21:04:15

Hi there!

For me this version has been the holy grail of applications and I have tested it thoroughly through the beta stages and now finally on the official release. All issues that i've had are gone and it seems they have all been dealt with and rectified.

I can not enough tell you how very happy I am with the release.

I'm in a completely different field of the IT related jobs, programming is only something I do in utter need. So since the last version of VS was "simple" enough to tweak, for me the new one is not. I wonder... I remember you were quite reluctant to do a download feature and would maybe implement one on user level status or not at all. So I wonder if there's a way to tweak VS myself without an official release of the feature. The feature is not aimed to use as an alternative to pirate bay lol but is mearly an alternative to ripping records to put on the ipod.

Ok, that is actually the only feature that I miss, otherwise I have nothing else to wish for. Actually it's beyond my dreams of how it would work.

Thank you VERY much SIIT

siit

25-09-2009 21:17:58

Ghost1000 I'm glad that you really like the new version )
At the moment I agree that it's not as easy to customize and it will take more skill in javascript in an object oriented way to do it correctly.

Althought I can say that my first priority is to actually simplify both theming and the possibility to easily make plugins. I just need some time to think about it and get it right and I'll have a guide together as well as the flash/js source for all of you that want to make your own customizations. In the end I'm pretty certain that it will be much more powerful than it was in Vibe Streamer 2, but as I said it will probably take a bit more skill.. but it's just fun to learn things, right? )

This version might actually have an official download feature. I would have added one already if I just knew where to put it in the skin. If it was a regular application and not a web application, right clicking a track would give you a download option... but since this is a web client, I'm not too fond of having a context menu on right-click since I don't think it's standard for the web..

So if people have ideas where I could put additional options for a track, such as download button and maybe a button to copy a shortcut to the track or the playlist, so you can load it instantly when you start vibe streamer or send it to a friend.. anyhows.. all ideas are welcome..

NY40Male

25-09-2009 22:37:07

make like a play/download button next to the song playing in the playlist

siit

25-09-2009 23:09:26

[quote4gtx70x2]make like a play/download button next to the song playing in the playlist[/quote4gtx70x2]

I tried that first, but I need something that will leave room for more things in the future without making it very messy. I might try out doing it like last.fm does when you hover tracks for an artist/album on profile pages.. an icon with an arrow downwards shows up when hovering an item, clicking that will bring up a context menu with more options..

Having something like that will leave room for lots of fun options and won't make the design messy and won't be difficult to discover for the user either,..

I'll play around with it a bit and we'll see..

B-22

26-09-2009 12:41:07

hey siit! there can also be a link add button.. before the logout button! , like to an ftp/http server personely i like the programm everything search engine because its fast clean and as an http server init , just a thought idea [url1x8bbucv]http://www.voidtools.com/[/url1x8bbucv]

Ghost1000

02-10-2009 10:19:41

Hi!

Thank you for your answer and thank you all of you with great ideas for features. Sometimes my imagination goes wild and I think of all kinds of features, Chat function, download functíon, links to blog (with customizable link to own blog)... Etc. And often theese ideas fall on the fact that it will eventually clutter the application that is now clean and very userfriendly. The context menue possibility sounds great and if that is possible to implement it would not interfere with the clean look of the VS.

In the meantime I enjoy the VS every day and it does really work flawlessly.

Best Regards...

MockY

16-10-2009 19:40:25

I'll play around with it a bit and we'll see..[/quote3a6ivdij]
I can only see one obvious place to put the download link/button, and that would be in the left pane under the track information of the currently played song. There's lots of white space there and I would not mind filling it up a little, and a download button would not take much room. It would maybe even make the skin look even better.

I also toyed around with the though of maybe wanting another "tab" in the accordion menu in the left pane for band info (this can even fit under the currently played track) or lyrics fetched from the net. Songbird does this beautifully and it would be nice to have it as an option that you simply enable just like you now have to do with the Playlist, Online Users, and Las.fm plugin. Just a thought.

siit

16-10-2009 20:45:42

[quote1dyi3fso]I can only see one obvious place to put the download link/button, and that would be in the left pane under the track information of the currently played song. There's lots of white space there and I would not mind filling it up a little, and a download button would not take much room. It would maybe even make the skin look even better. [/quote1dyi3fso]

Hey, that's actually a nice idea that I haven't thought about at all. The only bad thing about it that I can think of is that you actually have to play the track to be able to download it. But that isn't a big deal.. if you want to download loads of file then a FTP server is a better option than Vibe Streamer..

[quote1dyi3fso]I also toyed around with the though of maybe wanting another "tab" in the accordion menu in the left pane for band info (this can even fit under the currently played track) or lyrics fetched from the net. Songbird does this beautifully and it would be nice to have it as an option that you simply enable just like you now have to do with the Playlist, Online Users, and Las.fm plugin. Just a thought.[/quote1dyi3fso]

Yea maybe. Band info would be a nice feature. Although I think it might actually belong to the "now playing" window instead.. maybe a button next to the "download button"? .. maybe some kind of small toolbar-thingie below the cover image that gives you more info. such as a lonk to the bands last.fm page or something more..

I'll definately give this is some more thoughts.. thanks for the ideas

MockY

16-10-2009 21:15:47

[quote2gcrqisa]
Hey, that's actually a nice idea that I haven't thought about at all. The only bad thing about it that I can think of is that you actually have to play the track to be able to download it. But that isn't a big deal.. if you want to download loads of file then a FTP server is a better option than Vibe Streamer..[/quote2gcrqisa]
I don't see this as a bad thing at all. Like you said, if you want the entire album, then FTP is much better way of dealing with that. Vibe[b2gcrqisa]Streamer[/b2gcrqisa] is for, just like the name implies, Streaming the music )
[quote2gcrqisa]
Yea maybe. Band info would be a nice feature. Although I think it might actually belong to the "now playing" window instead.. maybe a button next to the "download button"? .. maybe some kind of small toolbar-thingie below the cover image that gives you more info. such as a lonk to the bands last.fm page or something more..[/quote2gcrqisa]
Yeah, I rather have the band info in the Now Playing pane as well, especially when there is so much white space there. Maybe just show a short excerpt in the actual window and then end the last sentence with Read More.. linkable to their Last.fm bio page or something.

Ohh well, what ever you decide to implement (if any) is fine with me. It would be awesome to have a Lyrics pane though. I don't know where Songbird fetches it from but it can't be specifically hard. The only problem I see is that the default width of the pane might be a bit to narrow (though you can expand it, so that is not that big of a deal) )

Again, thanks for a kick ass software.

MenoRikey

20-10-2009 22:07:35

One request I'd like to make, it that I'm using Vibestream in Firefox's Prism, so I do not have a browser reload button. Whenever Vibstreamer loses contact with the server, I get a modal popup that says the server has been disconnected, and I have to completely shutdown the browser and start it back it up. It W=would be nice if there was a link on the modal that took you back to the login page or just refreshed the page.

yuanyelss

20-01-2011 07:25:07

The folder that is added to VS has 2838 subfolders. It takes 5 seconds before the subfolders are displayed when expanded, so not instant as in earlier versions (but with much smaller collection). .....