Feature Request - Recognizing Folder Shortcuts

mr.curmudgeon

19-08-2009 15:42:31

This might sound like a crazy request, but what I'd like to see is the ability for Vibe to recognize, and allow the navigation of, Windows folder shortcuts.

Reasoning

This allows multiple, simultaneous, organization approaches at the folder level (independent of "jukebox" software). There's a program out there (http//www.freeboxjukebox.com/) that exports Windows folder shortcuts, based on ID3 tags.

So you can, for example, have all your albums in one folder (for ease of drag n' drop handling), and you could *also* have a series of 'Genre' folder shortcuts that link directly to each artist/album. Etc. The reasoning behind the "shortcut" approach is that your collection is always available in an approachable/organized manner, from multiple devices, without 3rd-party software. It also allows for multiple links to the same albums, via different categories (without duplicating the files).

If Vibe could navigate (index) shortcuts, this organizational structure would then accessible in Vibe Streamer!

thiru06

19-08-2009 19:30:37

This might sound like a crazy request, but what I'd like to see is the ability for Vibe to recognize, and allow the navigation of, Windows folder shortcuts.

Reasoning

This allows multiple, simultaneous, organization approaches at the folder level (independent of "jukebox" software). There's a program out there (http//www.freeboxjukebox.com/) that exports Windows folder shortcuts, based on ID3 tags.

So you can, for example, have all your albums in one folder (for ease of drag n' drop handling), and you could *also* have a series of 'Genre' folder shortcuts that link directly to each artist/album. Etc. The reasoning behind the "shortcut" approach is that your collection is always available in an approachable/organized manner, from multiple devices, without 3rd-party software. It also allows for multiple links to the same albums, via different categories (without duplicating the files).

If Vibe could navigate (index) shortcuts, this organizational structure would then accessible in Vibe Streamer![/quote1ade63aa]

I personally like the file structure because my server mirror my mp3s directory and backs up to file server.

I have properly tagged each mp3 files using Tag&Rename. Right now Vibe Streamer searches by file name. Eventually Vibe Streamer authors might allow searches in Album, Year, Title etc. files in ID3 Tags.

mr.curmudgeon

19-08-2009 21:17:29

Yeah, I like the file structure too. I'm basically requesting that Vibe also index 'shortcuts' and treat them like actual folders (transparently).

thiru06

20-08-2009 04:42:38

Yeah, I like the file structure too. I'm basically requesting that Vibe also index 'shortcuts' and treat them like actual folders (transparently).[/quote3oafjanj]

I've just tried this; I had a file structure and I've created a shortcut and place it in another directory. On Vibe Streamer/ Settings / Indexing I've added *.lnk (which is the shortcut extension). After re-indexing, i did see the shortcuts on the web but when I've clicked on it, web browser is trying to download a encrypted file. My understanding is that, it's actually working but the VS server is confused to locate the actual file.

mr.curmudgeon

20-08-2009 19:07:40

So it's *almost* working! wink

frifox

11-09-2009 08:12:43

i simply use NTFS junctions if for any reason i want to have a "shortcut" for any folder on my file system. the beauty of these junctions is that they work with ALL programs, not only vibe streamer )

use the "Junction" tool from Mark Russinovich to create those "shortcuts"
http//technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96768.aspx

its a command line tool so you can easily write a batch script that will find all folder links and use that cli tool to create respective junction automatically.