Vibe Streamer 3 - Beta download (Beta stage is over)

siit

03-05-2009 22:55:55

[b1jgc8osb]Vibe Streamer 3 is now finally released!
So... that means the beta stage is over. Many many thanks to everyone thas has been involved in the alpha and beta stage![/color1jgc8osb][/b1jgc8osb]

Support continued development and maintenance by giving a donation.[/url1jgc8osb]
[url=http://www.vibestreamer.com/support_vibestreamer.php1jgc8osb][img1jgc8osb]http://www.vibestreamer.com/images/paypal.gif[/img1jgc8osb][/url1jgc8osb]

siit

03-05-2009 23:09:43

The beta is finally out. Download it and let me hear how it works. I'm especially very interested in hearing how it performs in speed and memory usage.

There has happened a LOT since the alpha release. I'll get back later on with some details on what's been done in the many months of late nights of working on the much needed improvements and tweaks. Now I need to get some sleep )

Enjoy!

Wurstverkäufer

03-05-2009 23:23:34

Thanks Siit!!!

I will start testing now -)

MockY

04-05-2009 02:48:12

Fantastic!
I wonder though, can I install this beta on the same machine where I currently run 2.06, or do I have to uninstall 2.06 first? It would be nice if I could have both installed on the same machine so I can fully test it against the same 800GB collection.
Till then, I will test it out on another machine with a smaller collection. Will post any issues that I'll potentially encounter.

Thank you very much!

kjparenteau

04-05-2009 05:50:51

MockY - [quote1kaxbsf6]Till then, I will test it out on another machine with a smaller collection. Will post any issues that I'll potentially encounter.[/quote1kaxbsf6]
One thing you might try is to map drives between those computers and set up the VS shares using the drive mappings. I haven't tried it yet, but just a thought. )

MockY

04-05-2009 19:37:23

One thing you might try is to map drives between those computers and set up the VS shares using the drive mappings. I haven't tried it yet, but just a thought. )[/quote2f0etj0g]
Those 2 machines are on two different subnets in 2 different cities, so I rather not tinker with it. Good idea otherwise. Besides, I want to try it out the way it will later run to be sure the testing environment is accurate.

===============================================

With that being said, here are some things I noticed after the first day of testing with a [u2f0etj0g]small[/u2f0etj0g] collection of songs.

[b2f0etj0g]Host OS[/b2f0etj0g] Windows 2003 Server
[b2f0etj0g]Client OS[/b2f0etj0g] Ubuntu Linux
[b2f0etj0g]Browser[/b2f0etj0g] Firefox 3.0.10
[b2f0etj0g]Collection Size[/b2f0etj0g] 88 GB (330 Artists, 1228 Albums, 16012 songs)

First impression is that it is very fast. Much faster than the current stable release. Good job on that one. Just have to wait and see if it is just as fast for my larger collection.
The search engine seem to work fast as well. I don't have much to add here since I don't know what I prefer in terms of result display. I just like the fact that you can now search and get the results quickly. Neat.
Drag-n-Drop capabilities work beautifully. Awesome. It works so well I'm almost willing to put in on my main server.

However, it took a sweet time to index the entire collection. This is perfectly fine for the first time, but it makes me a little worried that it will take just as long the next time it is indexed (after adding just an album or two, or after replacing an album)

[b2f0etj0g]POSSIBLE BUGS[/b2f0etj0g]

* Changes in the column header does not stick. The changes a user made (putting song title first, or adding a year column) is gone next time you log in.

* Found one case where the content of an album would not be displayed. The current streamer version manage the same album just fine. The album folder is displayed, but not the songs. I tried to find the cause of this, but am yet unsuccessful.

* Removing *.jpg from being indexed does not work. Even if I only have *.mp3 in the list, the cover images are still listed in the directory tree. I have yet to try with other formats.

* The timer in the flash player is not wide enough. There is not enough padding to the right, so the last digit is being cut off. You can still see what number it is, so it's really just a cosmetic flaw.

[b2f0etj0g]FUNCTIONALITY WISHES[/b2f0etj0g] (just personal thought. In other words, no bugs)

* When no results from a search query is found, letting the user know that the search actually was performed but no records were found would get rid of potential confusion.

* When hovering the mouse over the VS icon on the server, no screen tip is popping up. I like that the current release does this. I mean displaying the amount of users logged on and current bandwidth used is displayed.

* Display more information in the Now Playing window. Maybe a BIO pulled from LastFM or Wikipedia. Base all the information (including Album and album art) on data of ID tags, so no .jpg files are needed in the directory. Add Year as one section, and use info in the tag for display instead of the folder name.

* Maybe add a search button next to the search box (to limit confusion)

* Something that I can totally live without, but it is neat to have download capabilities.

Overall, this preview made me smile so wide it hurts. I am still smiling and it is an absolute joy to use this software. The added Last.fm scrobbler made me finally use my account I signed up for years ago. What I did notice however, is that if I am logged in on the both via VibeStreamer and via a browser, last.fm does not detect the songs played in Vibestreamer. But if I am logged off via the browser, it logs it just fine.

siit

05-05-2009 09:25:42

Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed report!

[quote3il6jfiw]First impression is that it is very fast. Much faster than the current stable release. Good job on that one. Just have to wait and see if it is just as fast for my larger collection. [/quote3il6jfiw]

Nice one, I've been working quite a bit on the performance so good to hear )

[quote3il6jfiw]However, it took a sweet time to index the entire collection. This is perfectly fine for the first time, but it makes me a little worried that it will take just as long the next time it is indexed (after adding just an album or two, or after replacing an album) [/quote3il6jfiw]

The indexing sure is a bit heavier this time, but it's part of making the browsing and searching a lot faster as well as making it possible for a few features such as id3 tag browsing. Although I'll look through it and see how I can improve the speed.

It would be nice if you could measure how long the first indexing takes for you compared to the second indexing. I'd also appreciate if you could give me the approx number of files/directories/size that was indexed, and also if the files are on a network share or they'er on a local disk.

[quote3il6jfiw]Changes in the column header does not stick. The changes a user made (putting song title first, or adding a year column) is gone next time you log in. [/quote3il6jfiw]

This is indeed a bug and has been fixed for the next beta.

[quote3il6jfiw]Found one case where the content of an album would not be displayed. The current streamer version manage the same album just fine. The album folder is displayed, but not the songs. I tried to find the cause of this, but am yet unsuccessful. [/quote3il6jfiw]

I haven't seen any of that behaviour myself, if you have firebug, check the ajax request that it's doing to the server for fetching the content of the folder and see what the given result is. Either the problem is with the indexing, or it might be a javascript error.

[quote3il6jfiw]Removing *.jpg from being indexed does not work. Even if I only have *.mp3 in the list, the cover images are still listed in the directory tree. I have yet to try with other formats. [/quote3il6jfiw]

Indeed a bug and it has been fixed for the next beta.

[quote3il6jfiw]The timer in the flash player is not wide enough. There is not enough padding to the right, so the last digit is being cut off. You can still see what number it is, so it's really just a cosmetic flaw. [/quote3il6jfiw]

I think this differs due to the font size when running flash on different OS's. I'll see what I can do about it.

As for the functionality wishes they're all noted and they're all good ideas. I'll keep them in mind when I keep working on the final release.

cheers!

forbidden Soldier

05-05-2009 12:04:04

Nice job siit! D

I am glad to see the beta out finally. I have been waiting very patiently for it. I like the way everything loads. I tested the functions and is easy to understand just by the layout.

As far as bugs, I noticed one thing. When a directory permission (allow) is added to a specific [i3vq3tppa]group[/i3vq3tppa], it shows to [u3vq3tppa]all[/u3vq3tppa] groups. When changed to a specific [i3vq3tppa]user[/i3vq3tppa], then it is hidden as would have been expected under [i3vq3tppa]group[/i3vq3tppa] permissions. I would like a certain directory to be available to a specific [i3vq3tppa]group[/i3vq3tppa] without having to add permissions to each individual [i3vq3tppa]user[/i3vq3tppa] that is allowed access to that directory.

If I'm correct... the permissions setting for "user or group" has a bug. Or, am I confused about the settings? The stable version is able to do this under group settings.

SYSTEM
XP pro SP3
Firefox 3.0.10
IE 8.0.6001.18702
4GB RAM
Pentium 4

Shared Files
26.8 GB Audio/Video
7,812 Files
566 Folders

Thanks again for the great work Siit!

siit

05-05-2009 16:24:42

Glad you like it )

[quote2raz1xab]
If I'm correct... the permissions setting for "user or group" has a bug. Or, am I confused about the settings? The stable version is able to do this under group settings. [/quote2raz1xab]

First of all, this might be a bug. I will look into it.
Secondly, I was worried the "user or group" could be confusing.
I will see what I could do about it to make it simpler. Maybe having two separate listboxes for "User" and "Group"?

MockY

06-05-2009 19:45:10

UPDATE 1

The search function works overall very well. However, the term Live does not return anything, even though I have albums by Live as well as live albums in the collection. The search "System" did not return anything either once, though System of a Down did. However, when I tried "System" again, then it did work.

Streamed songs are not shown or recorded in the server log. Only server events are (Such as starting the server, indexing). Furthermore, who is logged in is not recorded either.

And finally, some Indexing numbers.

The following numbers a generated using a collection consisting of [baj07po40]16376[/baj07po40] files and [baj07po40]1561[/baj07po40] directories
The very first time [baj07po40]406[/baj07po40] seconds
Second time without any change to the collection [baj07po40]280[/baj07po40]
Third time with some added albums [baj07po40]278[/baj07po40]

To compare, it takes VS 2.06 [baj07po40]360[/baj07po40] seconds to re-index a collection consisting of [baj07po40]119564[/baj07po40] files and [baj07po40]11992[/baj07po40] directories.

In both cases, the files resides on local physical drives.

If size and time is proportional, it would take VS3 approximately 1960 seconds (or 32 minutes) to do my main collection. I doubt that will be the case, but I would think it would take much longer than for VS2. However, I'm perfectly fine with that if that equals a snappy user experience, just like it is currently demonstrating. I take the user experience over anything else, and if that means it will take 10 hours to do the indexing, it will totally be worth it. I simply just wanted to give you some numbers to play with.

mp3maniac

06-05-2009 19:46:12

Firstly, Excellent job!

Have been running Vibe2 on Windows 2k3 sp2 for quite some time as a service with no problems. Just installed the beta (not as a service yet, will try that soon) and running along side Vibe 2, using different port, works great.

The one thing I noticed right off the start was my album art was not displaying. Tracked it down as to the file name that was being looked for, "cover.jpg." Rather than rename every jpg file in the 45 GB music collection I found and edited the C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\sites\default\vibe\resources\ajax\plugin\nowplaying folder.

In the get-index-cover.vibe file, change cover.jpg to whatever your filename is. Mine was folder.jpg. Works like a charm.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who experienced the same thing.

siit

07-05-2009 09:19:38

[quotemojgpms1]The search function works overall very well. However, the term Live does not return anything, even though I have albums by Live as well as live albums in the collection. The search "System" did not return anything either once, though System of a Down did. However, when I tried "System" again, then it did work. [/quotemojgpms1]

This sounds quite odd, I tried to emulate the problem but these words work fine for me. A good thing to know is that the current search functionality only searches the file/folder name and not the meta data, which is quite easy to do but will be implemented later on. If you see any pattern on the problem or have more info, please report it and I'll keep looking.

[quotemojgpms1]Streamed songs are not shown or recorded in the server log. Only server events are (Such as starting the server, indexing). Furthermore, who is logged in is not recorded either. [/quotemojgpms1]
Streamed songs aren't displayed in the server log, I'll see if I can add a setting for it and also settings for other logging settings. Although who has logged in and out should be visible both in the log, the "connected sessions" list and also in the "Online Users" plugin (has to be enabled for a group/user). Do you mean it doesn't show up for you in the server log list?

If you're interested in a very detailed log for now, you can enable the access logging for the default site by editing [imojgpms1]conf/sites.xml[/imojgpms1]. Note that the application has to be stopped before editing the file.

[quotemojgpms1]To compare, it takes VS 2.06 360 seconds to re-index a collection consisting of 119564 files and 11992 directories. [/quotemojgpms1]
Thanks for the numbers. I'll see what I can do to improve the speed, at least re-indexing would be possible to speed up a bit. Getting speeds such as VS 2.06 won't be possible, since it really didn't index much except the file/folder structure, and all metadata was actually gathered in real time when needed. For 3.0 I made the choice to index everything for real in a database, making it much much slower, but giving much much possibilities.

Thanks for the feedback!

siit

07-05-2009 09:21:34

[quote27ahh5pf]In the get-index-cover.vibe file, change cover.jpg to whatever your filename is. Mine was folder.jpg. Works like a charm. [/quote27ahh5pf]

Nice detective work! ) Both cover.jpg and folder.jpg are "standards", so I'll add folder.jpg to the search from now on.

liorvh

07-05-2009 14:23:33

i've got a problem..
how can i change the encoding language of the app, to be able to see my music (Hebrew Collection). if it's possible of course.

I LOVE VIBESTREAMER!!! Thanks for a great job...and still.

Regards,
Lior.

mp3maniac

07-05-2009 17:20:16

Just an update, so far no problems to report.

I have installed Vibe 3 and set it up to run as a service on my Win 2k3 server along side Vibe 2. Vibe 3 is running on a different port. Both are working simultaneously and very well I might add. The steps to set up Vibe 3 as a service are identical to Vibe 2 as outlined in the forum.

With that in mind are there any plans to make Vibe Streamer run as a service as part of the application, maybe with a control panel applet that can be used to make setting changes. I know this really adds to the complexity of the app but it would be a wonderful addition for those who run home servers that are not left logged in and who may have a difficult time making it run as a service.

Here's some more praise I really like the client side functionality. Runs fast and smooth on the machines I have tested. The drag and drop folder function is really nice and loads up the playlist much faster than Vibe 2. D No problems to report either for Internet Explorer 7, Opera 9.64 and Firefox 3.03 browsers.

Keep up the great work!

jerometam

07-05-2009 19:55:09

Siit! Excellent job!!

The streamer can play unicode filename now~ ^^

Except for this little unicode display bug~~ All asian character becomes unreadable...
[img1xqjcji7]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2262/85200914440.png[/img1xqjcji7]

I've search for some documents, I dunno if it is related, but hope this could help you^^

1. Use UTF-8 for all front/back end codings
2. In Request Headers, set [b1xqjcji7]"Content-Type:application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=utf-8"[/b1xqjcji7]

Add [b1xqjcji7]Ext.lib.Ajax.defaultPostHeader += '; charset=utf-8'[/b1xqjcji7] to Ext.onReady

3. In Response Headers, set [b1xqjcji7]Content-Type:text/json;charset=utf-8[/b1xqjcji7]
In Java [b1xqjcji7]response.setContentType("text/json; charset=utf-8")[/b1xqjcji7]

MockY

08-05-2009 00:29:12

This sounds quite odd, I tried to emulate the problem but these words work fine for me. A good thing to know is that the current search functionality only searches the file/folder name and not the meta data, which is quite easy to do but will be implemented later on. If you see any pattern on the problem or have more info, please report it and I'll keep looking.[/quote23ulcaxa]
I did some more testing. The file names of all the Live albums are indeed named Live - Songname. I have the entire discography so there are quite a few albums in there, but the search does not come up with any results.
Furthermore, I noticed the following did not result in anything either
Ash, Amy, Bee, Blue, Dre
In all those cases, the files have those phrases in the name, as well as the folders they reside in. However, phrases such as U2, JoJo, TLC works just fine. First I though it had issues with short queries (minimum 3 characters makes sense) but since U2 works, this is obviously not the case.

Streamed songs aren't displayed in the server log, I'll see if I can add a setting for it and also settings for other logging settings. Although who has logged in and out should be visible both in the log, the "connected sessions" list and also in the "Online Users" plugin (has to be enabled for a group/user). Do you mean it doesn't show up for you in the server log list?[/quote23ulcaxa]
I was not referring to the User Interface (front end). The logged in users are in fact displayed (though currently streamed song they are listening too would be nice to have as added candy). What I was referring to is the back end GUI (Server side) where the log file is displayed under the Status tab. Today when I restarted the server, it all of a sudden started to log connected users. But apparently I had to restart the server for that to work. Yesterday, even when 3 users were using the streamer, none of them were acknowledged, and Connected Sessions were 0. But it seems like a server restart did the trick.

Thanks for the numbers. I'll see what I can do to improve the speed, at least re-indexing would be possible to speed up a bit. Getting speeds such as VS 2.06 won't be possible, since it really didn't index much except the file/folder structure, and all metadata was actually gathered in real time when needed. For 3.0 I made the choice to index everything for real in a database, making it much much slower, but giving much much possibilities.[/quote23ulcaxa]
The decision to go with a database in VS3 was a good one. I really don't care that much that the indexing takes some time if the user experience is enhanced. And since the front end turned out to be a speed monster, I am really not complaining. The user experience is much more important than slow indexing. But sure, if you somehow can speed up re-indexing (like I mentioned, I estimate re-indexing to take about 30 minutes on my main collection), then I won't cry, but I would not make it a priority, especially if that would delay the release of the final version.

aem

08-05-2009 09:59:44

Good morning!

Just playing around with the new beta version IT ROCKS! Thanks! Much faster than previous builds/versions (dealing with ~350GB of files)

some suggestions (some were mentioned before)

- make a Search-button (and display "nothing found" if nothing was found)

- remember the last.fm data for each user (they get lost during logout/login)

- add an option to add complete directories to the playlist

- can't the artwork be read out of the ID3 tags?

more to come ;)

best,
aem

siit

08-05-2009 10:14:50

[quote10rxgj4d]With that in mind are there any plans to make Vibe Streamer run as a service as part of the application, maybe with a control panel applet that can be used to make setting changes. I know this really adds to the complexity of the app but it would be a wonderful addition for those who run home servers that are not left logged in and who may have a difficult time making it run as a service. [/quote10rxgj4d]

The gui part of Vibe Streamer is still mostly from 2.06, but this time the server part is developed to be run totally independent, and only using portable libraries. There is a plan to write a new portable gui later on in which I might try to see if I can make it run as a service by default, but that is something I will do later on, so until then you'll have to use whatever other methods there are to run it as a service.

siit

08-05-2009 10:19:35

[quote3fplg5xm]I did some more testing. The file names of all the Live albums are indeed named Live - Songname. I have the entire discography so there are quite a few albums in there, but the search does not come up with any results. [/quote3fplg5xm]

This is truly odd. If I'm not wrong I recall that someone (was it you aswell?) that had a problem with the word "Live" even in a previous version, or am I mistaken? anyways.. I'll send you a private msg and you can maybe send me your index.db file so I can try it out for myself at my server?

[quote3fplg5xm]But apparently I had to restart the server for that to work. Yesterday, even when 3 users were using the streamer, none of them were acknowledged, and Connected Sessions were 0. But it seems like a server restart did the trick. [/quote3fplg5xm]

.. as the stated above, I have no idea why the gui would act like that. If you check your log file on the disk, has it reported any connected sessions? It would be good to know if it's just the gui or if it's the logging function that's messed up.

[quote3fplg5xm]The decision to go with a database in VS3 was a good one. I really don't care that much that the indexing takes some time if the user experience is enhanced. And since the front end turned out to be a speed monster, I am really not complaining.[/quote3fplg5xm]

I made some more tweaks yesterday and you should see some speed improvement in the next beta ) It would be nice if you could show me the number then compared to beta 1.

siit

08-05-2009 10:25:20

[quote2m76uexq]The streamer can play unicode filename now~ ^^
Except for this little unicode display bug~~ All asian character becomes unreadable... [/quote2m76uexq]

Hey there, well actually I'm a bit suprised. I've thought about implementing utf-8 later on as far for listing and playing utf-8 tracks, that's an important future for me. But actually there hasn't been much work done on it so I'm a bit suprised you can even index wide character names since the boostfilesystempath class doesn't support wide characters (not the one I'm currently using). Although most of the server backend handes the data independently so in some way it managed to work a bit for you D

Utf-8 support probably won't be official for the first stable 3.0.0 release, but I don't think it's a huge issue so I focus on it as soon as the functionality is in place and the server is stable.

Thanks for the detailed info and researching, I think with a utf-8 supported filesystem iteration, adding these modifications will make it work.

siit

08-05-2009 10:29:27

[quote24luz5m2]make a Search-button (and display "nothing found" if nothing was found)[/quote24luz5m2]

I'm with you on the "nothing found", but a search button didn't look well, and people manage to do without it in itunes (although there you don't have to press enter... hmm).. ahwell, I'll think about it D

[quote24luz5m2]remember the last.fm data for each user (they get lost during logout/login)[/quote24luz5m2]

The current last.fm plugin is just enough for getting it to work, improvements will probably come later on. Storing username/passwords should be handled with care and I need to figure out the best way to do it on a plugin before I choose to implement it.

[quote24luz5m2]add an option to add complete directories to the playlist[/quote24luz5m2]

I'm not sure if I understand this one. Directories (and any childdirectories) can be dropped onto the playlist in the current beta 1, or do you mean something else?

[quote24luz5m2]can't the artwork be read out of the ID3 tags? [/quote24luz5m2]

Well most likely, but at the moment I won't prioritize it due to other things at the moment, but it's on the wishlist for sure )

aem

08-05-2009 12:01:22

[quote2laozahu][quote2laozahu]add an option to add complete directories to the playlist[/quote2laozahu]

I'm not sure if I understand this one. Directories (and any childdirectories) can be dropped onto the playlist in the current beta 1, or do you mean something else?
[/quote2laozahu]

Ahhhh! Great! That is exactly what i meant.

siit

08-05-2009 12:16:11

[quote2614gyq8]Ahhhh! Great! That is exactly what i meant.[/quote2614gyq8]

Goodie, so that's resolved then, since you have it already in the beta 1, got it working?

aem

08-05-2009 12:52:37

works like a charm. thx.

indexing is still going on. got my music collection located on a NAS thats connected via WLAN to the server (pretty slow). but the frontend is really fast.

sometimes there are some errors while trying to browse a directory that's not yet indexed (but already displayed) it says i have to chek the server log for more info

[quote2va67oqk]WARNING [2009-05-08 125447] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [database is locked] [/quote2va67oqk]

...after those erros no dir can be expanded anymore (even if it's already indexed. server-restart doesn't fix that)

siit

08-05-2009 14:13:47

[quote14yttro8]WARNING [2009-05-08 125447] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [database is locked] [/quote14yttro8]

Damn, I've seen that error during development and I thought it had been resolved. It has to do with the "lack" of simple concurrency support in Sqlite, so I have to handle that logic myself as good as I can.

I'll work with a bit more. One thing you can always do is to shut down the server, remove db/index.db and reindex again.

Please keep me updated if you see a pattern in this problem. Any debugging can really help. So please, index/reindex and keep stressing your server and check the server log.

Could it be that the problem only occurs when you index a directory for the first time and at the same time try to access it? Or does it appear when you reindex something as well? Worth trying out..

aem

08-05-2009 14:43:26

i tried to open a folder within the frontend that is already displayed but has not been indexed (still queued). after this all the other folders (no matter if already indexed or not) aren't accessable anymore -> error log

[quote1adgisja]
WARNING [2009-05-08 144045] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [database is locked]

WARNING [2009-05-08 144049] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [database is locked]

WARNING [2009-05-08 144049] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [database is locked]

WARNING [2009-05-08 144052] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [database is locked]
[/quote1adgisja]

after indexing of another folder has finished accessing those folders seem to work (temporarely) again.

i'm still indexing %) - but i'll keep you updated what happens when everything finished indexing.

siit

08-05-2009 15:46:50

Alright, I take it as you have more than one share/virtual folders on your vibe server then? The problem might be related to that, I'll try it out myself when I get the time to see if I can get the same error.

aem

08-05-2009 15:50:19

yep - seperated my music into different styles in different folders for different users. ~8 shares

siit

08-05-2009 16:05:28

Ok, I'll try that out myself, I mostly test with one share while development so might be something I haven't run into.

Does the error occur only when you index something that hasn't been indexed before, or does it occur also while re-indexing something that already been indexed once before?

aem

08-05-2009 16:59:18

until now this only happened while expanding a folder that has not been indexed yet. now everything is indexed and it seems to work fine. i'll try reindexing some folders later the day/night.

jerometam

08-05-2009 17:03:17

[quote303phtaa]The streamer can play unicode filename now~ ^^
Except for this little unicode display bug~~ All asian character becomes unreadable... [/quote303phtaa]

Hey there, well actually I'm a bit suprised. I've thought about implementing utf-8 later on as far for listing and playing utf-8 tracks, that's an important future for me. But actually there hasn't been much work done on it so I'm a bit suprised you can even index wide character names since the boostfilesystempath class doesn't support wide characters (not the one I'm currently using). Although most of the server backend handes the data independently so in some way it managed to work a bit for you D

Utf-8 support probably won't be official for the first stable 3.0.0 release, but I don't think it's a huge issue so I focus on it as soon as the functionality is in place and the server is stable.

Thanks for the detailed info and researching, I think with a utf-8 supported filesystem iteration, adding these modifications will make it work.[/quote303phtaa]

Still there exist some folder cannot be read, nor index twisted

I guess it's probably because the "weird" folder name, contains some escape character~

aem

08-05-2009 17:53:20

seems like my problem stated above only shows up if an directory has not been idexed for at least one time.

i've got no problems with browsing a folder that is in progress of indexing.

btw is there a way to speed up idexing a bit? an option to reload ID3 tags only on NEW files? so files that existed before are kept the way they are in the DB?

two kinds of indexing
- CHECK FOR NEW FILES ONLY
- CHECK ALL FILES

smal bug found
a folder named "soundtrack - bud spencer & terrence hill - s.c.o.r.e" doesn't get indexed. i thought it was beacause of the "&" letter - but other folders with thi sign got indexed =/

Verifex

08-05-2009 18:04:11

Awesome update! The GUI looks slick as usual. The only small complaint I would have, is that the GUI looks so slick, that sometimes when I try to do something like.. multiple select items, it only ends up selecting the text, instead of selecting the items.

The easy solution would be to put some "select all" buttons in the interface.

The hard solution would be to make the UI able to respond to a user trying to select multiple items either through the "CTRL-A" method, or through the mouse click and drag method. Either way, keep up the good work, and I can't wait for playlists! )

aem

08-05-2009 18:12:35

multiple select items, it only ends up selecting the text, instead of selecting the items.[/quote2gdq120n]

works fine over here. bot - CTRL and SHIFT selection.

siit

08-05-2009 18:35:06

Thanks for all detailed info!

[quote31qpm9ft]seems like my problem stated above only shows up if an directory has not been idexed for at least one time. [/quote31qpm9ft]

I got enough now to try to fix it. hopefully I will be able to replicate the problem, and if so, there will be no prob fixing it.

[quote31qpm9ft]btw is there a way to speed up idexing a bit? an option to reload ID3 tags only on NEW files? so files that existed before are kept the way they are in the DB? [/quote31qpm9ft]

files that haven't been modified since last indexing won't be reindexed when it comes to meta data. although it still shows "indexing" on those files cause it has to do lookups in the database to check whether the filename has changed case, such as "My ArTIST" has been renamed to "my artist", for example. but that procedure was way too slow and for the next beta it will be a bit faster.

[quote31qpm9ft]two kinds of indexing
- CHECK FOR NEW FILES ONLY
- CHECK ALL FILES [/quote31qpm9ft]

That's a very good idea actually. Why didn't I think of that? ) It's on the to-do list, which means it will be implemented for sure.

[quote31qpm9ft]a folder named "soundtrack - bud spencer & terrence hill - s.c.o.r.e" doesn't get indexed.[/quote31qpm9ft]

another one for the mystery bugs collection, i'll try to replicate it and see if I can solve it.

siit

08-05-2009 18:35:50

[quote2mrnw6e0]when I try to do something like.. multiple select items, it only ends up selecting the text, instead of selecting the items. [/quote2mrnw6e0]

what browser are you using?

MockY

09-05-2009 10:24:50

I just recently installed VS3 via Wine on Ubuntu 9.04. The install went just fine, the server is running and I can log in via a browser. However, if the music is not located in the "virtual" C drive, it fails to detect the folder.
I haven't read the How-To about running VS 2.06 and have therefore no idea if they share the same issue.
I just figured I would mention it anyways since it almost worked perfectly fine out of the box without any tweaking.

A-Hoernchen

09-05-2009 20:53:41

GREAT Job! Vibestreamer rocks!

But I ran into the same problem MockY mentioned on the first page I have a folder with about 2100 files in it. It gets indexed, but the contents of the folder doesn't show up in vibestreamer. So i installed firebug as you told and tried to find the cause. I have to admit that i have never used firebug before, so i'm not sure if my findings are right.

I startet at the firebug console and tried to access the folder. According to firebug i get a 200 OK response, and the contents looks good. Afaics its a really long list of all the files in this directory, here is an example

[code241zp91m]
{ "itemId" : "2455","shareId" : "4","parentId" : "0","name" : "3 Doors Down - When I'm Gone.mp3","hash"
: "f9963983a2e2c42ec5065ae160fb4f92","directory" : "0","directories" : "0","files" : "0","size" : "6027693"
,"modified" : "1208630355","mdAlbum" : "When I'm Gone","mdArtist" : "3 Doors Down","mdLength" : "251"
,"mdTitle" : "When I'm Gone","mdYear" : "2002","mdBitRate" : "192" },
[/code241zp91m]

So i think indexing went well, there is just a problem displaying the folder content?

Hope this helps, if you need more/different information just tell me where to click in firebug! ;-)

greetings,

A-Hoernchen

siit

11-05-2009 17:10:33

Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 2 is now available for download.

EDIT Be sure to uninstall the previous beta before installing the new one. This is just to ensure that no unnecesarry bugs appear for you, since I don't bother much on backwards compability when working on the beta.

[b3kr5vb2l]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b3kr5vb2l]
- Indexing speed has been improved.
- Modifying filetypes to be indexed should now be fixed.
- Columns/column widths on the playlist grid is now remembered even if you reload/navigate away or close the browser.
- Group permissions should now work as they were supposed to.
- The Now Playing plugin now looks for both cover.jpg and folder.jpg
- Folders that could not be browsed before should work better now.

[b3kr5vb2l]Errors that could not be recreated (keep reporting if you have this problem)[/b3kr5vb2l]
- When trying to browse a folder currently being indexed for the first time it gives a "database locked" error in the server log.

Keep up the testing and report any bugs here in this thread.

NY40Male

11-05-2009 19:16:40

will this eventually have transcoding?...
im an old 2.06 user and lover of the program
transcoding would be the only improvement im looking for..
thanks

deepblue

11-05-2009 20:54:38

The Beta looks fantastic - amazing work.

As a way of giving back - here's a super clean way to run Vibestreamer as a Windows service (for those interested)

PREREQUITES
- Install Vibe Streamer to default location (if you change this, just adjust parameters below)
- Fully configure Vibe Streamer with your desired settings, including the option to "Start Server on startup"

STEPS

1. Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Toolkit here[/url1fdbmjpk]

2. Run the following in a command window
[code1fdbmjpk]instsrv VibeStreamer "c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe"[/code1fdbmjpk]

3. Create a text file with notepad and insert the following
[code1fdbmjpk]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VibeStreamer\Parameters]
"AppDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\Vibe Streamer"
"Application"="C:\\Program Files\\Vibe Streamer\\vibestreamer.exe"[/code1fdbmjpk]

Save this text file on your desktop as "Vibestreamer.reg", and double click it when done. Click "Yes" when asked to merge into registry.

4. Ensure Vibe Streamer is shut down - then start the service and enjoy.

NOTE The above assumes you know what you're doing with the registry, services, etc. Not recommended for amatuers, and note that you can mess your PC up badly if you incorrect modify the registry.

Thanks siit for a great piece of software - Love it.

MockY

12-05-2009 00:06:28

Awesome beta. All the little bugs that I found or confirmed are now fixed and seems to work consistently.
I have moved, removed, resized, and added column headers, and it all sticks next time I log in. Fantastic!
The albums that VS refused to show the contents of are now indeed showing and they stream just fine. Again, fantastic!
Furthermore, I can now search for "Live" and this time I do get the intended result. For the third time, fantastic!

However, the term "Live" will yield quite an amount of results in a normal collection and hence it takes a bit longer. The speed is still fast, but it would be helpful if there was an indicator that it is currently searching. A progress bar or just the word "Searching..." would suffice.

I also noted the time it takes for the indexing. I am still using the same 100GB collection as I did with the previous beta. It now takes [bk9vhxkv6]570[/bk9vhxkv6] seconds the first time, and [bk9vhxkv6]326[/bk9vhxkv6] seconds to re-index it. However, this is a minor concern because it results in such a great user experience. I should not index that often anyways.

As far as I am concerned, this baby is ready for prime time as soon as the playlist functionality is added.

mp3maniac

12-05-2009 16:31:24

Greetings Siit

I replaced the first beta with Vibe Streamer 3 Beta 2 and have it running as a service. It installed with no issues and is working flawlessly for me so far. Great job! wink

I did still have to modify the get-index-cover.vibe file to replace front.jpg with folder.jpg, as my album art was not displaying. Not a problem for me, but I would imagine a task for someone not computer savvy.

Just a thought, rather than having a hard coded search in the get-index-cover.vibe file, could we not have a setting in the admin console that modifies that entry to use a specific file name? Obviously you would need a default but this way you would not have to search for every imaginable file name that people could use. Also makes it more flexible.

Excellent work, I really like it.

Phil

12-05-2009 21:10:48

I just added the 'folder.jpg'...

Is
[code2pykuspw]([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='front.jpg' OR [name]='folder.jpg')[/code2pykuspw]

Was
[code2pykuspw]([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='front.jpg')[/code2pykuspw]

On another topic and I don't know how possible this is, but live albums that are split into separate tracks have a 1 or 2 second gap in between tracks. How feasible would it be to have an option for gapless playback? This would probably require caching the next track in the series...

I've just started using version 3 so that's all I have at the moment. Setup was incredibly easy (as it was with version 1) so I look forward to continued testing.

Thanks for your work on this Siit!

Phil

13-05-2009 00:37:12

So let's stress test this a bit...

http//z.dnsdojo.com8081/

User and pass is '7' no quotes. Sorry for the small selection, but just wanted to get this up for testing purposes.

siit

13-05-2009 09:40:28

[quote24zggy0v]will this eventually have transcoding?... [/quote24zggy0v]

Yep, it will have transcoding. I've already played around with it a bit and gotten it working pretty fine in version 3, although I feel that I have to work on it a little bit more before making it an official part of version 3.

siit

13-05-2009 09:44:19

[quote36t1qadi]It now takes 570 seconds the first time, and 326 seconds to re-index it.[/quote36t1qadi]

To be honest, I can't figure why it would take longer for you to index and re-index with the second beta, when I've actually made it about 30% faster on my testcollection of 85gb. I don't know if I can do a much more radical improvement now, but I'll keep thinking on it and maybe it's something that I can gradually try to improve between releases. Although, compared to itunes indexing it's still lightspeed, that's something at least p

siit

13-05-2009 09:46:43

[quote3lx6nvhn]Just a thought, rather than having a hard coded search in the get-index-cover.vibe file, could we not have a setting in the admin console that modifies that entry to use a specific file name?[/quote3lx6nvhn]

Doh, ofcourse I managed to type"front.jpg" instead of "folder.jpg" as I was supposed to, haha D ahwell, in the NEXT beta then )

As for admin settings in the web client it's something I'd like aswell, I just need to think a bit more and figure out what the best way would be in order to make it work for future implementations and ideas aswell.

siit

13-05-2009 09:48:48

[quote1vzuhsqi] How feasible would it be to have an option for gapless playback?[/quote1vzuhsqi]

This implementation has to be done in the flash player, and I've gotten my share of action script at the moment, so maybe it's something that someone else wanna try out when the official release is out, together with the web client/flash player source code?

aem

13-05-2009 10:29:20

back after some testing with a huuuge library. indexing seems to be faster than in b1 - great! haven't had the time to play around with the "opening-not-yet-indexed-folders-bug" but i'll try to replicate that soon.

new/old feature requests

- option to grant users to download a track
- option to reindex/scan for new files only
- option to see what other users are playing at the moment
- option to log played tracks in the log - or even better per user
- still the option to display covers from the idv3 tag (or maybe some more information in the now playing section)

MockY

13-05-2009 22:17:15

To be honest, I can't figure why it would take longer for you to index and re-index with the second beta, when I've actually made it about 30% faster on my testcollection of 85gb. I don't know if I can do a much more radical improvement now, but I'll keep thinking on it and maybe it's something that I can gradually try to improve between releases. Although, compared to itunes indexing it's still lightspeed, that's something at least p[/quote3nga0h5y]
Like I said before, I would not worry about it. The user experience is way more important than some in-the-background-process. Besides, I should not have a need to re-index more than once a day anyways. So put this topic in your bucket of solved things.

Phil

14-05-2009 19:06:55

...that contains other file types. The drag and drop folder feature is great, but only appears to work when the folder contains MP3s and NFO file types. I have folders that contain a JPG file type and I am unable to drag and drop this folder into the play list.

[b2jyn7dol]EDIT Hmm, it appears I can drag and drop a folder regardless of its contents. Sorry for the confusion...[/b2jyn7dol]

Also, will play list support allow for the use of M3Us?

liorvh

14-05-2009 20:56:51

so no UTF8 this time.. ah.. i live )

can i workaround it somehow, any body knows a trick or something?

aem

14-05-2009 23:39:37

...that contains other file types. The drag and drop folder feature is great, but only appears to work when the folder contains MP3s and NFO file types. I have folders that contain a JPG file type and I am unable to drag and drop this folder into the play list.[/quote11zxiv8m]

what should be the use of adding jpeg files to the playlist!?

Phil

15-05-2009 00:02:49

...that contains other file types. The drag and drop folder feature is great, but only appears to work when the folder contains MP3s and NFO file types. I have folders that contain a JPG file type and I am unable to drag and drop this folder into the play list.[/quote3pdx3r97]

what should be the use of adding jpeg files to the playlist!?[/quote3pdx3r97]

I don't want to add any files but MP3 to the play list. I thought the client software simply wasn't allowing folders containing a non-MP3 file types to be added to the play list. I was wrong as it will add MP3 only file types just fine which is what I wanted.

NY40Male

16-05-2009 09:22:43

30,000 Of 64,855 Songs
2,700 Of 5,678 Artist
245 GIG

1st Time Still Indexing..as you can tell about 1/2 done..and its taken 50 minutes......
i hope it doesnt matter but its a external usb drive...but version 2.06 only took about 5-10 minutes with same setup... just thought you might like to know

DD6VD

16-05-2009 18:50:35

30,000 Of 64,855 Songs
2,700 Of 5,678 Artist
245 GIG

1st Time Still Indexing..as you can tell about 1/2 done..and its taken 50 minutes......
i hope it doesnt matter but its a external usb drive...but version 2.06 only took about 5-10 minutes with same setup... just thought you might like to know[/quote120wkkgx]

276,87 GB take 6936 Seconds via 100Mbit LAN (MP3 on a NAS Server)

Another Question Why is not the Cover displayed inside the MP3 or the Folder.jpg File when i play a MP3. Any Hints ????

siit

16-05-2009 18:56:51

[quotep3yfsagr]1st Time Still Indexing..as you can tell about 1/2 done..and its taken 50 minutes......
i hope it doesnt matter but its a external usb drive...but version 2.06 only took about 5-10 minutes with same setup... just thought you might like to know[/quotep3yfsagr]

Version 2.06 can't be compared with version 3 since it didn't do much of indexing. The version 3 setup allows for a lot of more things so it certainly be much slower, although I'll do my best to speed things up.

How long does a re-indexing take for you? The first indexing can take a long time but that's a one-timer, so I'm a more interested in the re-indexing speed people experience.

siit

16-05-2009 18:58:21

[quote17x6gfm4]276,87 GB take 6936 Seconds via 100Mbit LAN (MP3 on a NAS Server)[/quote17x6gfm4]

Same for you, can you give me the time a re-indexing takes, it would differ some from the first indexing.. hopefully ]

[quote17x6gfm4]Another Question Why is not the Cover displayed inside the MP3 or the Folder.jpg File ? Any Hints ????[/quote17x6gfm4]
Cover inside the MP3 won't be displayed, at least not for the initial version 3. Although folder.jpg SHOULD be displayed, if I just didn't screw up for the beta 2 ) .. The next beta will have that one fixed.

DD6VD

16-05-2009 19:01:22

[quote14y3kvh2]Another Question Why is not the Cover displayed inside the MP3 or the Folder.jpg File ? Any Hints ????[/quote14y3kvh2]
Cover inside the MP3 won't be displayed, at least not for the initial version 3. Although folder.jpg SHOULD be displayed, if I just didn't screw up for the beta 2 ) .. The next beta will have that one fixed.

Sounds good, any Size Limitation in Pixel for the Folder.jpg ?

siit

16-05-2009 19:04:19

[quote1pfks5pz]Sounds good, any Size Limitation in Pixel for the Folder.jpg ?[/quote1pfks5pz]

Don't think so, It's set to a fixed size so it will be stretched to the size it needs (hurray ))

Phil

16-05-2009 19:20:22

How long does a re-indexing take for you? The first indexing can take a long time but that's a one-timer, so I'm a more interested in the re-indexing speed people experience.[/quote1dzr0kww]

Initial indexing on a 300GB collection took ~22 minutes for me. However the VibeStreamer server and drive reside on the same system. Re-indexing took about the same amount of time, but that's only because I was making major changes in the directory layout.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to schedule re-indexing at certain times of the day and/or week. Since my server is also running off of gaming machine, I don't want it indexing while I'm using the system.

Ghost1000

16-05-2009 20:27:18

Hi there and may I in my first post praise this application, it has provided many happy hours of music listening while grinding away at work. I have tried the new beta and indexed one letter "A" and tested the search function wich worked like a charm, I've been thinking of different ways that this would work and the way you have solved it is great. XML search hung mu machine totally. Now then for my problem(s) I have 10 external disks with a total of 60000 albums all alfabetically ordered... that is 4.5 TB of music. The letter "A", about 200 GB took 5 hours of indexing. I have managed to index three consecutive letters and the application hanged and I restarted and the share was gone. That indexing did not work if I added 25 letters to index, it only reindexed the three first time and time again so I added the next when the first was done and that worked until theapplication hanged.. only, it tok almost 18 hours for those three.

Question then

*Does the external disk cause problems?
*Does file system cause problems (one disk is FAT32, Can't convert)
*Does file structure cause problems? Like all´Abba under A/ABBA/*record

Thanks for your time and effort

Phil

16-05-2009 21:59:51

Question Is it possible to only show sub-directories in the Vibe Streamer shared directory without adding them individually?

I ask this because I am sorting my collection in folders 0-9, A-Z. In order for those folders to be displayed when logging into Vibe Streamer I have to either add each sub directory individually (i.e., 0-9, A, B, etc.) which requires indexing of each individually or I add a single directory containing all the sub directories at which point the user will have to click on the directory to see the sub-directories (i.e., drive "(E ) MUSIC" will be displayed).

I don't have an issue adding each sub-directory to the Vibe Streamer shares, but it would be nice to have an index all option to index all shared folders.

Ghost1000

16-05-2009 22:07:19

Question Is it possible to only show sub-directories in the Vibe Streamer shared directory without adding them individually?

I ask this because I am sorting my collection in folders 0-9, A-Z. In order for those folders to be displayed when logging into Vibe Streamer I have to either add each sub directory individually (i.e., 0-9, A, B, etc.) which requires indexing of each individually or I add a single directory containing all the sub directories at which point the user will have to click on the directory to see the sub-directories (i.e., drive "(E ) MUSIC" will be displayed).

I don't have an issue adding each sub-directory to the Vibe Streamer shares, but it would be nice to have an index all option to index all shared folders.[/quote27bv9gpl]

I have done that with Sym links, it works great. There's free applications for that

Phil

17-05-2009 03:23:10

I have done that with Sym links, it works great. There's free applications for that[/quote6zxaedmf]

Name?

Ghost1000

17-05-2009 13:48:16

Mame of Symlink application

Winbolic Link (1.0) I have only tried 1.0 and it's great. Only your discs must be NTFS otherwise it won't see the disc

NY40Male

18-05-2009 01:48:21

the indexing
i redid the inital indexing over again
initial indexing
INFO [2009-05-17 003427] Indexer - Indexing of 'Music' completed in 9442 seconds
the 2nd indexing (nothing changed)
INFO [2009-05-17 185101] Indexer - Indexing of 'Music' completed in 6778 seconds

hope this helps..thanks

NY40Male

18-05-2009 06:39:21

put my A Artists in a subdirectory titled accordingly A
indexed the A Directory (with the mp3's tagged)
INFO [2009-05-18 002649] Indexer - Indexing of 'A' completed in 79 seconds
removed the db file...removed the tags in directory A and got this
INFO [2009-05-18 003350] Indexer - Indexing of 'A' completed in 15 seconds

thought you might like to know

NY40Male

18-05-2009 06:44:46

of when you hit the X to exit you could make it minimize to tray..im always closing out the program..and darn it i hate that..lol

Phil

18-05-2009 15:30:13

Winbolic Link (1.0) I have only tried 1.0 and it's great. Only your discs must be NTFS otherwise it won't see the disc[/quotefofmtcy2]

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Phil

19-05-2009 01:26:09

Winbolic Link (1.0) I have only tried 1.0 and it's great. Only your discs must be NTFS otherwise it won't see the disc[/quote1mza36gm]

OK, I tried the app out and it does what it's designed to do, but that doesn't solve my problem. I don't want the user to have to click on anything to see folders 0-9,A-Z listed nor do I want to have to re-index each of those folders manually should I make several changes to them. Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I'm still hoping there's a way to display only sub-directories to a given path rather than the target path itself.

NY40Male

20-05-2009 08:11:59

Initial Index With Tags
INFO [2009-05-17 003427] Indexer - Indexing of 'Music' completed in 9442 seconds

Initial Index With All Tags Removed
INFO [2009-05-20 013704] Indexer - Indexing of 'Music' completed in 8640 seconds

802 Seconds Difference

MockY

20-05-2009 19:14:47

Does the machine you are hosting Vibestreamer on make a difference in speed? If so, what are the specs of the machine that you got 9442 seconds with? My current server machine is not powerful by any means (Athlon64 4000+, 1GB RAM) but I don't think I would get those numbers, even with my 700GB collection.
Furthermore, I am extremely particular when it comes to the structure of my collection. All files share the same naming convention and they all have the same clean ID3 Tag (only artist, album, song, year, and cover). I don't know if that can change the indexing speed, but until siit tells us otherwise, I'm going to think that the structure of the files and directories have something to do with the speed the collection gets indexed.

NY40Male

21-05-2009 01:16:56

Is A 3 Year Old Dell Running XP..I'd Have To Look At The Specs To Even See What Are..But I'm Sure By Today's Standards Its Pathetic....And With The Discount I Only Paid 300 Dollars For It...Also The Music Is On A 500 Gig External USB Hard Drive Which I'm Sure Slows The Living Daylights Out Of It...But Its The Same Setup That I Ran 2.06 On But Siit Says The Indexing Is Way Different In Version 3..Version 2 Only Took About 10 Minutes

siit

22-05-2009 09:36:14

[b3hchax3h]Current update[/b3hchax3h]

While waiting on a few things required for the final playlist support I've worked with some bugs that's been found and also added the smaller things left out for now (such as "check for updates", "used bandwidth", "restore default settings".. etc).

This weekend I'll try to look at implementing an "index new files only" feature that should make things a bit faster for those of you that has huge collections.

[b3hchax3h]Until then, a brief explanation on the indexing procedure[/b3hchax3h]

Vibe Streamer 2 does for sure "index" the shares a LOT faster. This is mainly because it doesn't do much indexing at all except for the file structure, which is a simple and fast thing to do. The index was stored in an XML file and all meta data for the files was fetched in "real time" whenever it was required.

Vibe Streamer 3 has made some major changes to this. One of the most important goal was to have an index which had already fetched all the meta data. The main reason for this is to being able to search the indexed for data based on the meta data, such as (in the future) being able to browse the collection based on ID3 tags only, but also it's a huge performance improvement in general.

When releasing the alpha version the indexer had the indexing functionality from Vibe Streamer 2 with the addition that it also fetched the meta data when indexing, but the result was still stored in an XML file. This procedure was much faster when doing the indexing, but the memory usage was HUGE. A large collection could easily take 5-600mb of RAM which was not acceptable. Also, the time it took to do queries through xpath/xquery was very very slow.

I decided to use SQLite instead for datastorage which was an incredible improvement on the memory usage, but with a loss of indexing speed. SQLite is also used on other parts of the server and will enable lots and lots of possibilities for me. As a side note, SQLite is also used for data storage in other applications, such as for instance in IPods and much more..

So a short summary is that Version 3's indexing cannot be as fast as Version 2's without adding a lot of limitations to the future design of the app (and we dont want that )), but with that said, I'll keep working on improving the indexing speed, such as the "Index New Files Only" feature.

Hopefully that explains a bit )

NY40Male

22-05-2009 23:00:49

For The Response..
Index New Files Would Be Great

Any Idea When Your Going To Add The Transcoding Module?

Appreciate The Help

siit

23-05-2009 00:10:48

[quote24jqqvv6]Any Idea When Your Going To Add The Transcoding Module? [/quote24jqqvv6]

Actually I've played around with it again this week and it works ratherfine. The problem is that managing processes in C++ in a portable way is much trickier than in C# or Java for example, so it's nothing I wan't to rush.

I found a great library called "libexecstream" that I thought had solved it for me without having to work out all the trickier parts myself, but it has some problems that still made it work only half as good as I'd like, so I put it on hold.

I will release version 3 before I will keep working on it, but since it's something that I now know is very possible and not too tricky, it's something that will definately appear in any 3.x version.

aem

23-05-2009 17:10:52

I'll keep working on improving the indexing speed, such as the "Index New Files Only" feature.[/quote1uphsulk]

YAY! Indexing my collection takes nearly 6 hours... ...so i'm eagerly waiting for this feature =)

siit

23-05-2009 19:38:23

[quote3lbj68tj]YAY! Indexing my collection takes nearly 6 hours... ...so i'm eagerly waiting for this feature =)[/quote3lbj68tj]

that's quite a collection you've got there )
and yea, it's not the point that it should take as much as 6 hours to index, that's something I'll do my best to fix for you.

as a sidenote, could you check what's the memory usage of your vibe streamer application when it's running?

aem

24-05-2009 19:00:55

just 17.4mb (while indexing a small folder)

siit

25-05-2009 12:27:25

Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 3 is now available for download.

[b3vofc6ab]It is important to uninstall the previous beta before installing the new one.
This is just to ensure that no unnecesarry bugs appear for you and is only necessary during the beta phase.[/color3vofc6ab][/b3vofc6ab]

[b3vofc6ab]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b3vofc6ab]
- Indexing speed has been improved even more.
- A new indexing option "Index New Files" has been added
- "Restore default settings" was added to the main menu
- Thread synchronization bug fix
- Both "cover.jpg" and "folder.jpg" now works for cover images.

I'm very interested in hearing how the indexing performance works for you with large collections now.
There has been a major rewrite of the indexer this weekend and hopefully it will show.

Amish

25-05-2009 13:58:29

Why not just make an option to let people choose what to index. 2 options.

1) Full index (full searching; fast interface; slower indexing)
2) File index (no searching; real time info gathered therefore slower; quicker indexing)

Then just let the user decide. Like I would full index but i dont care about searching much so I could fast index.

Meh just an idea that may please everyone. Shouldnt be too hard to implement either i think

~amish

siit

25-05-2009 14:28:10

[quote2s0t74gx]Why not just make an option to let people choose what to index. 2 options.
[/quote2s0t74gx]

I thought of that at first, but that's two completely different setups. All implemented features and functionality should be able to handle both cases and that's not really a nice setup in my opinion.

With the latest changes to the indexer a full re-indexing of my collection of 89gb takes me 26 seconds, and that's a CIFS/smb mount which gives quite slow file access. So I think it's quite reasonable now. The first indexing will still be heavier, but you only do that once.

MockY

25-05-2009 22:31:57

Here are some numbers based on the exact 88GB collection I have used in the past with all the Betas so we can compare the numbers accurately. I won't get any "real" numbers until I install VS3 on my main server, but that will not happen until first final release.

1st Scan - All Files Option [b24ab26cr]374 Sec[/b24ab26cr]
2nd Scan - All Files Option - No changes [b24ab26cr]8 Sec[/b24ab26cr]
3rd Scan - All Files Option - One New Album [b24ab26cr]4 Sec[/b24ab26cr]
4th Scan - New Files Only Option - No New Album [b24ab26cr]2 Sec[/b24ab26cr]
5th Scan - New Files Only Option - One New Album [b24ab26cr]2 Sec
[/b24ab26cr]
So it looks like you are now about ready to slap on the playlist feature. Can't wait )

EDIT I just now noticed that searching is faster as well. I don't know if it is related with the index fix, but searching for the term "Live" gives me all results instantly now, instead of after 3-4 seconds.

kjparenteau

25-05-2009 23:19:59

[quote1o5f2brs]So it looks like you are now about ready to slap on the playlist feature. Can't wait Smile[/quote1o5f2brs]
Most definitely with the playlist! I am also very anxious to see the transcoding options for sure.

aem

26-05-2009 03:16:12

Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 3 is now available for download.

[b17nh7ivc]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b17nh7ivc]
- Indexing speed has been improved even more.
- A new indexing option "Index New Files" has been added
[/quote17nh7ivc]

Just installed b3 - first impression MUCH faster indexing (~300GB) and it seems like the 'opening-folders-which-are-indexed-for-the-first-time-bug' is gone. Will play around with it tomorrow. 3am over here and i'm f***in' tired ;)

Great work - again!

NY40Male

26-05-2009 05:12:44

Beta 2 - Index New Files - Initial Scan - 8011 Seconds
Beta 3 - Index New Files - Initial Scan - 1972 Seconds
Beta 3 - ReIndex New Files Only - 71 Seconds (Didnt Add Any)

Music Files Reside On External USB Drive

NY40Male

26-05-2009 07:36:25

Beta 2 - Index New Files - Initial Scan - 8011 Seconds
Beta 3 - Index New Files - Initial Scan - 1972 Seconds
Beta 3 - ReIndex New Files Only - 71 Seconds
Beta 3 - Added 1 Album - ReIndex New Files Only - 112 Seconds

Music Files Reside On External USB Drive

Great Job

I Know Someone Asked To Add Playlists
I Want Transcoding...
Thanks And Whatever You Can Do

aem

26-05-2009 08:30:08

Maybe a bug/feature-request

When renaming or removing a directory and then reindexing new files only the removed or renamed dir still shows up in Vibe streamer.

would be fine if non-existing files could be removed from the database.

so "Index New Files Only" should check if there are [b1jfqz0nw]NEW[/b1jfqz0nw] files [b1jfqz0nw]AND[/b1jfqz0nw] if there are files [b1jfqz0nw]REMOVED[/b1jfqz0nw]

btw initial indexing had a speedup of 6x to 8x!!

siit

26-05-2009 10:11:35

[quote1gfxhanr]so "Index New Files Only" should check if there are NEW files AND if there are files REMOVED[/quote1gfxhanr]

Well, that's pretty much was "index all files" does different from "index new file". The slowest procedure actually is checking if files are removed, so "index new files" will only do what it sais, else it wont be much difference between them two. I'd recommend you to configure autoindexing on the shares, that will keep it clean if you remove files.

[quote1gfxhanr]btw initial indexing had a speedup of 6x to 8x!![/quote1gfxhanr]

Wonderful news! Worked many late nights to get it better, glad it was worth it )

siit

26-05-2009 10:14:06

[quote2zb4tg10]Most definitely with the playlist! I am also very anxious to see the transcoding options for sure.[/quote2zb4tg10]

Aye, the playlists will be in the final release but the transcoding will have to wait a while longer. There is quite a bit work left on the playlists since I've had to put so much time into the performance and indexing features, but now finally I'll start with the playlists, which is much more fun than optimizing/bug fixing )

Kjartan

26-05-2009 11:29:56

Hi, I'm using the Beta and loving it.

One thing's bugging me, though. That's not being able to go back to the parent folder.

example I search for 'mike', and double click on the 'Mike Oldfield' folder and then on the 'amarok' folder and then I have no way to go back other than doing the search again or finding it in the left-hand menu, which kinda defies the purpose of searching. I assume it wouldn't take that long to implement this.

Phil

27-05-2009 17:20:57

Full index on 275.10GB took 520 seconds. Re-index for only new files took 14 seconds (with no new files).

OK, I think I found a bug. I've re-indexed, indexed only new files and I cannot get the first folder in my music directory to show. It is called '0-9' without the quotes. Showed up fine in beta 2. I even reinstalled and it is still not showing up...

liorvh

27-05-2009 17:28:29

basically, it's PERFECT!!! (expect the UTF8 thing).
everything works great, the "search" function amaze me every time... very fast and well behave.
last beta version could not finish the index no matter what i try, i got more then 1.5T of mp3 music.. but this version ROCKS!!! (took an hour to index but after the first index every index after that is pretty much fast)

i'm running VibeStreamer on a "Windows 7 64bit" Machine... takes only 11 mega of RAM.... just beautiful!!!!

SIIT you are the shit!!! love u man!!!
Thanks for everything, and still.

aem

27-05-2009 18:54:56

Full index on 275.10GB took 520 seconds. Re-index for only new files took 14 seconds (with no new files).

OK, I think I found a bug. I've re-indexed, indexed only new files and I cannot get the first folder in my music directory to show. It is called '0-9' without the quotes. Showed up fine in beta 2. I even reinstalled and it is still not showing up...[/quote26ni89of]

accessing a folder called '0-9' (without quotes) works fine over here. (but it's not located directly in the 'root'-dir)

siit

28-05-2009 14:46:05

[quote2aofiurc]One thing's bugging me, though. That's not being able to go back to the parent folder. [/quote2aofiurc]

I agree with you on that one. It's in the category of "fine tuning" which will be taken care of later on.

siit

28-05-2009 14:49:46

[quote5y6ttvep]basically, it's PERFECT!!! (expect the UTF8 thing). [/quote5y6ttvep]
Aye, any application today should support utf-8 for sure, and so will Vibe Streamer hopefully do later on aswell. Things are a bit trickier doing this with the libraries I currently use, but I'll look at it later on defenetily.

[quote5y6ttvep]i'm running VibeStreamer on a "Windows 7 64bit" Machine... takes only 11 mega of RAM.... just beautiful!!!! [/quote5y6ttvep]
It's wonderful to hear that it runs like it's intended D glad to hear that you're running both 64bit and windows 7, which are two things I haven't been able to test myself.

[quote5y6ttvep]Thanks for everything, and still.[/quote5y6ttvep]
You're welcome! and thanks for the kind words, it makes this all much more worth it )

siit

28-05-2009 14:50:47

[quote385uyvxy]accessing a folder called '0-9' (without quotes) works fine over here. (but it's not located directly in the 'root'-dir)[/quote385uyvxy]
I haven't been able to recreate this, so if anyone is up for it I'd like some more info and details on this one.

Phil

28-05-2009 19:38:05

[quote2784gjxn]accessing a folder called '0-9' (without quotes) works fine over here. (but it's not located directly in the 'root'-dir)[/quote2784gjxn]
I haven't been able to recreate this, so if anyone is up for it I'd like some more info and details on this one.[/quote2784gjxn]

I change the folder name from '0-9' to 'A0-9' and re-index and it will show. When i change it back to '0-9' it does not show (after another re-indexing). Even if I change the folder name to '1-9' it does not show. I've also tried moving the folder to another partition, re-indexing, moving back, re-indexing again and it still does not show. When doing this the indexed size did change to reflect that folder (from 266.84GB to 275.00GB).

Please note I am only doing full re-indexing.

On a side note, the indexing is much faster with this latest beta release, thanks!

Ghost1000

29-05-2009 00:04:29

Hi!
I have indexed all of my collection and it took 13 hours and it was expected wih the numbers I have seen here. That is a fantastic improvement. Also the search works wonderfully. It's in my opinion short of nothing. However, I have covers in allmost every folder Letter/Album/*files they are all .jpg and no matter how I name them or how I add the albums or songs I can't get them to show in the cover field. Am I doing something wrong? The cover adds a lot of the user experience so I'd love to get it working, somewhwre in this thread you mention that the cover issues were solved so I don't know what to alter to get it right

AndyR

29-05-2009 02:47:19

Folks,
I am new to VS but we use it at work. I got the old version up and running no problem. I want to be able to stream my collection locally to a laptop and eventually a Wii using a browser. This seems to be the right tool for the job

Thought I might as well jump in on the beta as it supports other file formats. I cant get it to run.

It does not seem to pick up my PC's ip address. Ijust get the all unassigned, no ip on the pull down.

Kick start greyed out. I assume this is the new start?

Indexing does not find any files. Most of my files are wav but there are a few mp3s. The older version at least saw the file structure.

I am running XP, media center SP3 on a 2.8ghz intel dual core with 2 gigs of ram.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be??

Thanks

AndyR

29-05-2009 15:21:08

OK,
I suspect there is some sort of windowing issue.
I see that it is "kick session" which is greyed out which is not the start button and it should be greyed out as I have no sessions.
I think there are some buttons not displayed within the window.
I have a wide screen LCD at 1680x1050

There is no start button on the status tab. Looks like all tabs are truncated at the bottom and at the right. So there could be some settings or apply buttons I am not able to access.

It is still odd that it is not finding any files

Any help is appreciated

siit

29-05-2009 15:48:56

[quote3dufw4vq]I want to be able to stream my collection locally to a laptop and eventually a Wii using a browser. This seems to be the right tool for the job[/quote3dufw4vq]

You won't be able to use the Wii just yet, since the Wii flash player isn't enough at the moment.

[quote3dufw4vq]Thought I might as well jump in on the beta as it supports other file formats. I cant get it to run.[/quote3dufw4vq]

The beta still only supports .mp3 for music

[quote3dufw4vq]It does not seem to pick up my PC's ip address. Ijust get the all unassigned, no ip on the pull down.[/quote3dufw4vq]

I must admit that setting is a bit confusing. In Vibe Streamer 2.06 it checks for your local IP's and list them in the selectbox, although since most people are behind a router that really has a different IP, I decided to leave it out and recommend people to leave it at "All unassigned".
I'll go ahead now and change that into a textbox instead and simply make it easier for people that don't wanna mess around with the IP.
"All unassigned" is generally used in most cases unless you're on a multihomed machine.

[quote3dufw4vq]Indexing does not find any files. Most of my files are wav but there are a few mp3s. The older version at least saw the file structure.[/quote3dufw4vq]

That seems very odd really. I haven't seen any problems like that before. If you want to give me more info do this

1) Shut down the application
2) Edit the xml file manually <vibe streamer dir>/conf/server.xml
and in the <logManager> node, add the <debug>true</debug>.

For example
<logManager>
[i3dufw4vq]<debug>true</debug>[/i3dufw4vq]
<path>whatever the path now is ...</path>
</logManager>

3) Start the application and run a fresh indexing. Take the log file located wherever it is specified (usually <vibe streamer dir>/logs) and send me a private message here or put it up on some website where I can reach it and look at it.

[quote3dufw4vq]I think there are some buttons not displayed within the window.
I have a wide screen LCD at 1680x1050 [/quote3dufw4vq]

I haven't bothered much with the GUI since it's up for a complete rewrite using wxWidgets in the future, so it doesn't really like much if you have custom font sizes and such,.. can you take a screenshot of the application and post it here on the forum?

siit

29-05-2009 15:51:26

[quotewkq215lg]I have indexed all of my collection and it took 13 hours and it was expected wih the numbers I have seen here.[/quotewkq215lg]

wow! a few questions out of interest
- how large is your collection?
- have you ever tried indexing that collection with DC++ or Itunes and seen some numbers there?
- how long does a "index all files" take after the first indexing, and how long does a "index new files only" take?

[quotewkq215lg]...no matter how I name them or how I add the albums or songs I can't get them to show in the cover field.[/quotewkq215lg]

Vibe Streamer looks for files named either "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" that should be located in the same directory as the track you're playing.

Ghost1000

29-05-2009 16:52:38

[quote3ieupbzt]- how large is your collection?
- have you ever tried indexing that collection with DC++ or Itunes and seen some numbers there?
- how long does a "index all files" take after the first indexing, and how long does a "index new files only" take? [/quote3ieupbzt]

That's what's so amazing, an "Index all files" takes about 2-3 minutes and "index New Files" takes about 30 seconds. That is a cross section since the largest folder (S) is 340 GB large and contains 5000 albums and (X) contains merly 500 folders and is only 15GB large hence faster iundexing. All in all, a re-index of the entire collection takes 30 minutes.

Indexing this with Itunes is impossible since it can't handle the volume, it will clog the tubes and the computer is useless. DC takes about 5 hours for one (1) folder containing roughly 4000 albums.

The search function is amazing aswell, a search will finnish in about 10 seconds and returns everything of interest, it returns all the words that I have read here that people have had problems with.

Oh... it's 5TB large now and it's taken years with tags and covers and ripping and so on )

This is a fantastic streamer and it's only getting better.

A big thank you for time and effort

Ghost1000

29-05-2009 17:55:42

[quote27zxopp2]Vibe Streamer looks for files named either "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" that should be located in the same directory as the track you're playing.[/quote27zxopp2]

That's a shame, any possibility to have all .jpg show no matter what the name is? Like *.jpg or simmilar. I can't really see myself changing the name in 65000 folders )

AndyR

29-05-2009 18:52:29

Thanks for the input
I will PM the log file and screen shot.
I am using 120dpi for fonts. Just too small for my eyes at 96

I realize I am anticipating, but I am assuming that nintendo / opera will move forward with flash. I also thought the latest flash supported wav but I could be mistaken, If it does I assume that will make adding wav support straightforward.

Figured the 2.X version isnt quite what I need I might as well play with the beta.

Thanks again
-

Verci

31-05-2009 01:23:43

Just started testing the latest beta.
Indexing the first time took some time indeed. I've been following the indexing a bit and it seems to go very fast overall, except for some albums where it would take a couple of seconds / song. I use Foobar as my player and I've noticed the same slowdown over the same folders there (altough it's not that bad there). I tagged all my mp3's with the mass-tagger plugin for foobar so there are no differences there. (in other words i'm clueluess why ... )

Once indexed reindexing is very fast, so no problems there. Search is also working flawless.

The main issue I have is remote login. I stopped my version 2 of vibestreamer and let the beta run on the same port so router settings should be ok. When remote I get the logon form, and after logging on I'm redirected to http//myaddress8081/auth/ where all I get is a blank screen. I confirmed this with different browsers and different PC's. When in the same network I don't have this problem. Maybe it's not a bug but some configuration issue, any help would be appreciated )

siit

03-06-2009 10:28:02

[quote2s716587]That's what's so amazing, an "Index all files" takes about 2-3 minutes and "index New Files" takes about 30 seconds. That is a cross section since the largest folder (S) is 340 GB large and contains 5000 albums and (X) contains merly 500 folders and is only 15GB large hence faster iundexing. All in all, a re-index of the entire collection takes 30 minutes. [/quote2s716587]

That's great to hear, I've decided the indexer is good enough now then )

[quote2s716587]Oh... it's 5TB large now and it's taken years with tags and covers and ripping and so o[/quote2s716587]

hehe I bet that took some time )

siit

03-06-2009 10:33:52

[quotepwe519sc]That's a shame, any possibility to have all .jpg show no matter what the name is? Like *.jpg or simmilar. I can't really see myself changing the name in 65000 folders [/quotepwe519sc]

Of course, search for a file named "get-index-cover.vibe" a bit down in the directory where you installed vibe streamer. Find where it sais

[ipwe519sc]+ " AND ([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='folder.jpg')"[/ipwe519sc]

and replace that with something like this

[ipwe519sc]+ "AND [name] LIKE '%.jpg')"[/ipwe519sc]

And it should look for any jpg in the folder.

I haven't tested it myself but it should work )

siit

03-06-2009 10:51:41

[quote1dqi8br0]When remote I get the logon form, and after logging on I'm redirected to http//myaddress8081/auth/ where all I get is a blank screen. I confirmed this with different browsers and different PC's.[/quote1dqi8br0]

It sounds like the router is doing something with the redirects. I have made a few minor fixes in the HttpConnector for the next beta, maybe that will solve the problem. If not, I'll see if I can help you get some more debug info and we'll get it worked out.

B-22

06-06-2009 12:59:53

+ " AND ([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='folder.jpg')"

and replace that with something like this

+ "AND [name] LIKE '%.jpg')"

I haven't tested it myself but it should work

--------------------------------------------------
sorry siit the code doesn't work its giving me a error like an error occured.please check the serverlog vor details...and the log says WARNING [2009-06-06 124803] JsEngine - Failed to execute query [near ")" syntax error] i put a jpg file like zzz.jpg

liorvh

06-06-2009 15:19:37

[/quote1fqon6kh]

don't work m8

crillee

06-06-2009 22:33:28

This new version is grat but the it would be great if you can keep the playlist function. To save your own favorite music.

aem

08-06-2009 14:01:45

This new version is grat but the it would be great if you can keep the playlist function. To save your own favorite music.[/quote31g3cbvo]

he's working on that feature. this is just a beta version - not the final one.

Phil

08-06-2009 20:25:52

[/quotef6f5o48w]

don't work m8[/quotef6f5o48w]

Not having the space before the "AND" breaks the query. Below is what I used and it works fine.

Replace line
[codef6f5o48w]+ " AND ([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='folder.jpg')"[/codef6f5o48w]

with
[codef6f5o48w]+ " AND [name] LIKE '%.jpg'"[/codef6f5o48w]

B-22

08-06-2009 21:04:54

THANX D phil for clearing that up...just a space! boinck ,works great now!!

Phil

08-06-2009 22:42:51

THANX D phil for clearing that up...just a space! boinck ,works great now!![/quotebfy5ckk3]

You're welcome.

Another way that some might prefer is replace the following line
[codebfy5ckk3]+ " AND ([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='folder.jpg')"[/codebfy5ckk3]

with
[codebfy5ckk3]+ " AND ([name] LIKE '%cover%.jpg' OR [name] LIKE '%folder%.jpg' OR [name] LIKE '%front%.jpg')"[/codebfy5ckk3]

This doesn't pick up on any JPG, only ones containing cover, folder, or front, which is usually the one wanted. I haven't figured out a nice way to check if current folder contains a cover, folder, or front string, if not, search for any JPG. Probably best done with javascript since SQLite doesn't support stored procedures.

siit

09-06-2009 22:54:56

[quotemn9mab68]Not having the space before the "AND" breaks the query. Below is what I used and it works fine. [/quotemn9mab68]

ah yes that definitely works better, my bad, sorry for that folks )

siit

09-06-2009 22:57:13

[b3p9qxd5r]Current Update[/b3p9qxd5r]

Since the server in general and the indexing works fine now I've begun the work on the final addition with playlists. There are some more work to be done there before I'm ready to beta test it, but I feel very positive now for the Vibe Streamer 3 release and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel )

Phil

10-06-2009 08:00:53

Thanks for the update Siit.

Ghost1000

11-06-2009 13:08:59

Hi!

With the amendment to the file adding the cover art it's now so clean and works so good that I think it's better than I had hoped for. This is an amazing thing you have here and I can't thank you enough.

Best Regards

The Ghost

omelpogi

11-06-2009 13:20:20

Hi
Siit..Can you please add ShoutBox feautures to your follow-up update...and maybe you can also add an Online Registration / Sign-up functions in the log-in page..

tnx...

LisaRCT

12-06-2009 00:23:56

Vibe Streamer looks for files named either "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" that should be located in the same directory as the track you're playing.[/quote299yyahc]

Any chance it will later also seek "<Artist> - <Album>.jpg" as well?

Not looking to be pushy, especially at this early stage, . . . just that I will not take the time to create additional art (folder.jpg) if it will later become unecessary.

MenoRikey

12-06-2009 14:42:36

Hey all you freeloaders, why don't you donate some money to help this great program?

Coeluh

13-06-2009 00:01:51

Hey all you freeloaders, why don't you donate some money to help this great program?[/quoteexopm3bw]
I just discovered this program, but already love it. I donated some!

2 Question Is it possible to have some jump to function? Like in winamp (or any advanced media player)

Another one Lots of my album arts are not displaying very well. What's the deal with that? I've got them all nice in my library, working and well!

LisaRCT

13-06-2009 18:01:26

Another question

If I set the mime types I can browse other filetypes (flac, exe, iso, avi, etc).

With VibeStreamer 2 when I double-click one of these it will download/open so I can play it in another player (since VS doesn't play these).
When testing Vibrstreamer 3 I cannot download/open these.

Will this be 'fixed' in the release version of VibeStreamer 3?

mavisgold

13-06-2009 18:56:20

does not work with netscape 9 cry

hangs at auth page http//00.000.00.0007500/auth/[/size2jokwh2l]

MenoRikey

14-06-2009 17:10:04

does not work with netscape 9 cry

hangs at auth page http//00.000.00.0007500/auth/[/size2p3q3m4g][/quote2p3q3m4g]

who still uses netscape? roll

MockY

14-06-2009 23:49:58

does not work with netscape 9 cry [/quote1ma72qkd]
I strongly suggest that you drop Netscape for good, and migrate to Firefox instead.
Get it HERE[/url1ma72qkd]

MockY

15-06-2009 00:02:06

Hi
Siit..Can you please add ShoutBox feautures to your follow-up update...and maybe you can also add an Online Registration / Sign-up functions in the log-in page..

tnx...[/quote2z2xqa5l]
I do not agree any of these requests. A shoutbox makes the GUI cluttered, and the only reason for a shoutbox is to chat with other logged in users, and I don't see why you would want to do that. Furthermore, it sounds like you want to host the server for public use, with public sign-ups, and that my friend will not go very well with the RIIA....

usmcgizmo

15-06-2009 05:29:27

is there an intention of adding video support to vibe in the future?

other then that, vibe 3 is running great..... almost perfectly identical to my vibe 2 that is running on the same box. don't have many complaints. noticeing another comment made.... if downloading becomes an option... it should be set in permissions.

just some thoughts

siit

15-06-2009 11:20:28

[quote35fq7ii3]Any chance it will later also seek "<Artist> - <Album>.jpg" as well?

Not looking to be pushy, especially at this early stage, . . . just that I will not take the time to create additional art (folder.jpg) if it will later become unecessary.[/quote35fq7ii3]

Cover art image naming is always very different between people collections which makes it difficult to satisfy every structure, so for now "cover.jpg" and "folder.jpg" support will only be shipped with Vibe Streamer, although since this functionality is in the client and not a core part of the server, it's possible to customize this for your own needs with some skills in javascript/ajax. It's a bit difficult doing so now when the source for the client isn't released yet. But I'll think about writing a guide for it later on to help people set it up as they wish.

[quote35fq7ii3]If I set the mime types I can browse other filetypes (flac, exe, iso, avi, etc).

With VibeStreamer 2 when I double-click one of these it will download/open so I can play it in another player (since VS doesn't play these).
When testing Vibrstreamer 3 I cannot download/open these. [/quote35fq7ii3]

In Vibe Streamer 3 the mimetypes are defined in a file called "site.xml" which is located in the application directory. Add the mime types that you wish to support there and restart the server, and then also configure the indexing (from within the application) to index those filetypes. That should hopefully make it work for you.

If there are any mime types that you think should be already configured with the distribution, just send me a mess and I'll see if I agree and then add them. (So far I've only added the mime types required for the basic server functionality really, so there are a few more that probably should be included)

siit

15-06-2009 11:23:38

[quotestechnww]does not work with netscape 9[/quotestechnww]

Netscape 9 will most likely not be supported. As stated before I'd recommend trying out Vibe Streamer in other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer (IE7+), Safari or Chrome.

siit

15-06-2009 11:27:19

[quote3mvwwwo0]I just discovered this program, but already love it. I donated some![/quote3mvwwwo0]

Thanks thanks a lot! It's great to know Vibe Streamer is so appreciated! )

[quote3mvwwwo0]2 Question Is it possible to have some jump to function? Like in winamp (or any advanced media player)[/quote3mvwwwo0]

I'm not sure if I know what you mean here, can you describe this further?

[quote3mvwwwo0]Another one Lots of my album arts are not displaying very well. What's the deal with that? I've got them all nice in my library, working and well[/quote3mvwwwo0]

Do you have the covert art as a file or within the ID3 tags? Cover art within the ID3 tags are not supported yet, and the files must be named "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" by standard and must be located within the same directory as the songs. See a few posts earlier for some info on how to customize Vibe Streamer to support other file naming styles.

siit

15-06-2009 11:29:27

[quote12dbaa65]Siit..Can you please add ShoutBox feautures to your follow-up update...and maybe you can also add an Online Registration / Sign-up functions in the log-in page.. [/quote12dbaa65]

Shout box might be something I'll (or anyone else) might possibly add much further in the future. As for online registration and sign-up it's something I most likely won't add to the release and has to be implemented as a custom solution if wanted.

siit

15-06-2009 11:37:23

[quotejbtlfs8l]is there an intention of adding video support to vibe in the future[/quotejbtlfs8l]

Vibe Streamer will only be a music player so there are no intentions of adding official Video Support.

[quotejbtlfs8l]other then that, vibe 3 is running great..... almost perfectly identical to my vibe 2 that is running on the same box. don't have many complaints. noticeing another comment made.... if downloading becomes an option... it should be set in permissions.[/quotejbtlfs8l]

Yea, download support is a feature that many requests and I'm thinking about implementing it as an official support, and if so, it will definitely be controlled by a user/group option.

MenoRikey

15-06-2009 19:32:01

[quote19kh847a]2 Question Is it possible to have some jump to function? Like in winamp (or any advanced media player)[/quote19kh847a]

I think (maybe) he means multimedia keyboard support ie, the Stop, Play, Back, Forward, Mute buttons on some keyboard, which would be a really nice feature. I know in Javascript/Flash you can capture keyboard key events and their id's, but not sure about the multimedia keys.

jlorenzi

15-06-2009 20:16:28

I like the new version a lot. However, it seems to not work with large collections. I have one directory with about 15,000 albums in it (maybe 250,000 songs), that gets indexed okay but it seems to time out on the browser, that's just my guess. It actually says "connection with browser lost" after I click on the shared directory.

A second directory I've shared has a problem being indexed. It just hangs a few hundred albums in. I'm not sure what's going on with that. That collection has about 10,000 albums and maybe 150,000 songs.

Anyway, I love the new browser look. I'm going to switch back to the previous version since I can't get this one to work, but keep up the good work.

Coeluh

16-06-2009 11:02:33

[quote16rigbhu]2 Question Is it possible to have some jump to function? Like in winamp (or any advanced media player)[/quote16rigbhu]

I think (maybe) he means multimedia keyboard support ie, the Stop, Play, Back, Forward, Mute buttons on some keyboard, which would be a really nice feature. I know in Javascript/Flash you can capture keyboard key events and their id's, but not sure about the multimedia keys.[/quote16rigbhu]
No , no , no. A jump to window is something very usefull. When you press the keys Control + J you get an incremental search box (which updates as you type) , which searches your current playlist. When you hit enter, it selects and plays its topmost item.
[img16rigbhu]http://inso.cc/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/xmms-jump-window.png[/img16rigbhu]

Altough multimedia keys would be cool.

MenoRikey

17-06-2009 15:40:53

The more I think about it, I don't think multimedia keyboard support will work with Vibestreamer, since it's web based. You would have to have the window in focus for the keys to be recognized, which defeats the purpose of being able to move forward or back just by hitting a key. You would have to bring the window into focus, then hit a key, which doesn't make sense.

SpudSong

19-06-2009 18:00:36

Hi

tnx...[/quotewidxudqv]
I do not agree any of these requests. A shoutbox makes the GUI cluttered, and the only reason for a shoutbox is to chat with other logged in users, and I don't see why you would want to do that.[/quotewidxudqv]

ShoutBox is not a live chat program. It is more like a message board where one can leave messages for each other, make requests and say hello. I run it within a 3rd frame I added to the bottom half of Vibe Streamer 2.06 and it doesn't take away from the usage or appearance of Vibe Streamer (the colors & box size are all user selectable).

It would be a nice feature, in the new Vibe Streamer, if it (or another message board type program) could be added within it's own drop-down box on the left-side (like Last.fm, Online Users & Now Playing uses).

Thank you for your time..

MenoRikey

19-06-2009 19:47:33

ShoutBox is not a live chat program. It is more like a message board where one can leave messages for each other, make requests and say hello. I run it within a 3rd frame I added to the bottom half of Vibe Streamer 2.06 and it doesn't take away from the usage or appearance of Vibe Streamer (the colors & box size are all user selectable).

It would be a nice feature, in the new Vibe Streamer, if it (or another message board type program) could be added within it's own drop-down box on the left-side (like Last.fm, Online Users & Now Playing uses).

Thank you for your time..[/quotekudy64eu]

Dude, if want to chat with someone use IM. Vibestreamer is for listening to MUSIC. roll

SpudSong

21-06-2009 05:54:25

DUDE.. why don't you read the post before throwing your worthless two cents out there! roll roll
I said it is NOT a chat program. It IS a message board. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like it either!!

Thank you for your time..[/quote3k2nspdc]

Dude, if want to chat with someone use IM. Vibestreamer is for listening to MUSIC. roll[/quote3k2nspdc]

liorvh

21-06-2009 07:27:36

he's just trying to help u guys..
theres no need for flaming here.

now quiet.. let siit think..

Coeluh

21-06-2009 15:42:15

[quote7pq1furw]2 Question Is it possible to have some jump to function? Like in winamp (or any advanced media player)[/quote7pq1furw]

...[/quote7pq1furw]
No , no , no. A jump to window is something very usefull. When you press the keys Control + J you get an incremental search box (which updates as you type) , which searches your current playlist. When you hit enter, it selects and plays its topmost item.
[img7pq1furw]http://inso.cc/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/xmms-jump-window.png[/img7pq1furw]

Altough multimedia keys would be cool.[/quote7pq1furw]
Guys? Seriously? This is an awesome function!

MenoRikey

22-06-2009 19:26:10

DUDE.. why don't you read the post before throwing your worthless two cents out there! roll roll
I said it is NOT a chat program. It IS a message board. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't like it either!!
[/quote20kgv6eq]

Nobody wants to chat through Vibestreamer. I use AOL instant messenger to chat. I use Vibestreamer to listen to music.

Any word on when playlists will be implemented?

siit

23-06-2009 00:30:32

[quoteal33u039]I like the new version a lot. However, it seems to not work with large collections. I have one directory with about 15,000 albums in it (maybe 250,000 songs), that gets indexed okay but it seems to time out on the browser, that's just my guess. It actually says "connection with browser lost" after I click on the shared directory.[/quoteal33u039]

A collection of that size shouldn't be a problem really.

Could you give me some info on
- what browser and version you are using
- the specifications of your server computer and the client computer
- does the logs say anything when you get the "connection lost "msg?

Anyone else with a collection in this size that can confirm this problem?

[quoteal33u039]A second directory I've shared has a problem being indexed. It just hangs a few hundred albums in. I'm not sure what's going on with that. That collection has about 10,000 albums and maybe 150,000 songs. [/quoteal33u039]

Another mystery... so some questions for you there
- is the collection on a network drive or on a local drive?
- are you running the server in windows or linux (through wine)?
- if on a network drive, is it secured with a password?
- does the whole application hang/crash or does the indexing progress window just do nothing? if it just does nothing, check and see if you can see what path it's currently working on and what it's actually doing (should be displayed in the indexing progress window)

siit

23-06-2009 00:39:37

[quote2zlzmtbc]he's just trying to help u guys..
theres no need for flaming here. [/quote2zlzmtbc]

There are no bad ideas or suggestions, at least not in my world. Even if a given suggestion might not always be something that I feel is suitable for the application, it's very possible that it can raise some new ideas or thoughts that will help out in another way.

siit

23-06-2009 00:42:44

[quotej8whtaa7]Any word on when playlists will be implemented?[/quotej8whtaa7]

It's been implemented and will be released in the upcoming beta, hopefully at the end of this week, if no unexpected problems appear.

chuckamango

24-06-2009 00:27:53

When running the latest Beta version, I have encountered a problem while indexing my music directory. The program crashes about 4000 songs in. I'm not sure if it's a particular file that is hanging it or something with my setup. I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. Vibestreamer is located on my C drive and my music is on my D drive (same physical disk). Let me know if you can help or what other information I can provide.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

siit

24-06-2009 09:40:43

[quoteo4gmynrd]When running the latest Beta version, I have encountered a problem while indexing my music directory. The program crashes about 4000 songs in.[/quoteo4gmynrd]

That doesn't sound good. We'll have it worked out but I need your help with debugging.

[bo4gmynrd]First of all a few questions[/bo4gmynrd]

- Does the application crash when you're doing the indexing, even if you're not logging on and browsing your music with your browser?
- Does the log say anything? (Check the "logs" directory in the directory where you installed Vibe Streamer)

[bo4gmynrd]Debugging[/bo4gmynrd]

- Shut down the application.
- Manually edit the file conf/server.xml in your vibe Streamer directory.
- In the file you see the logManager node with the configured path for your logs. Modify it by adding the <debug> node so it looks like this

[codeo4gmynrd]<logManager>
<path>server-%y%m%d.log</path>
<debug>true</debug>
</logManager>[/codeo4gmynrd]

Then I'd like you to do three indexings (or at least cause the application to crash like it's done now after 4000 songs). When you've done it three times, zip or rar the log file and mail it to me. I will PM you with my mail address.

MenoRikey

28-06-2009 16:36:47

Any developments on playlists being implemented? I'm waiting for playlists, so I can switch to using Vibestreamer full time. Thanks.

chuckamango

28-06-2009 19:41:22

Does the application crash when you're doing the indexing, even if you're not logging on and browsing your music with your browser?
- Does the log say anything? (Check the "logs" directory in the directory where you installed Vibe Streamer)

The application crashes when I'm not logged on and browsing music.
No logs were written to the directory. I'll do the 3 indexings and send you the logs. Thanks.

siit

29-06-2009 09:28:46

[quote1cale9m5]The application crashes when I'm not logged on and browsing music.[/quote1cale9m5]

I guess you mean that it crashes here when you are logged on and browsing music?

More questions then
- Do you mean that the server crashes or is it the client/browser?
- Does it always crash at the same place? For instance, when you try to browse a large folder or when you start playing a track?

chuckamango

29-06-2009 22:42:29

[quote1fxmf41d]I guess you mean that it crashes here when you are logged on and browsing music?

More questions then
- Do you mean that the server crashes or is it the client/browser?
- Does it always crash at the same place? For instance, when you try to browse a large folder or when you start playing a track?[/quote1fxmf41d]

No, maybe I was not clear. I am not using a web browser when it crashes. It is in the middle of the indexing when the server crashes. It seems like it's in the same spot in the indexing each time it crashes.

siit

30-06-2009 01:37:03

[b2ny3nidq]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 4 is now available for download.[/size2ny3nidq][/b2ny3nidq]

[b2ny3nidq]It is VERY important to uninstall the previous beta before installing the new one.
This is just to ensure that no unnecesarry bugs appear for you and is only necessary during the beta phase.[/color2ny3nidq][/b2ny3nidq]

[b2ny3nidq]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b2ny3nidq]
- A LOT of bugfixing, performance tweaks and refactoring in preparation of the stable release
- Playlists support as well as multiple tab support in the track list.
- "Check for new updates", you will now be notified when a new beta is released during the beta phase.

All features that are required for the final release is now implemented. I will now only focus on minor tweaks/adjustments and bug fixes. So I'm grateful for all the help I can get with finding bugs, so please report them in this thread if you experience any.

MenoRikey

30-06-2009 04:02:18

Playlists are great! Very slick.

One small request. I don't plan on having the Now Playing pane expanded much. I foresee just leaving the Playlist pane expanded. Is it possible to add a small Now Playing section to the empty area between the Search box and the Vibe Steamer logo at the top? Even just a mini-album art would be nice.

NY40Male

30-06-2009 06:34:25

lol..sorry..
how do you save the playlist?
or is that feature to be added
appreciate the help

NY40Male

30-06-2009 06:35:50

i found it..sorry...doh...

NY40Male

30-06-2009 06:38:33

I Can Save A Playlist..How Do I Bring It Back?...
okay
now i appreciate the help

NY40Male

30-06-2009 06:41:17

so now i found my default playlist
but nothing is there..also i accidently created a new playlist
how do you delete playlists?

NY40Male

30-06-2009 06:44:49

are great..aka just like browsing..but thats a great feature now you can make a playlist and try out songs in another window..great addition..thanks

siit

30-06-2009 09:22:40

[quoteq0waweob]One small request. I don't plan on having the Now Playing pane expanded much. I foresee just leaving the Playlist pane expanded. Is it possible to add a small Now Playing section to the empty area between the Search box and the Vibe Steamer logo at the top? Even just a mini-album art would be nice.[/quoteq0waweob]

That will have to be customized with some JS/CSS when the final release is out cause I don't think I'll add that in that release. It's already a bit too crowded up there by the search button and the player according to me, and having the "now playing" info right by the search button with the same info as the player is a bit double according to me, although I see the point of wanting to have the cover art always visible, but that can easily be customized later on.

siit

30-06-2009 09:32:02

[b1ivzbxyh]A very very short guide to playlists[/b1ivzbxyh]

First of all, to use playlists the user or group must the option "playlists enabled" which is set in the "options" page when editing a user/group.

To save a playlist
[i1ivzbxyh]Click the button named "Save" in the toolbar above the track list. It is also possible to drag tracks from the file explorer in the Vibe Streamer client right onto a playlist in the playlist listing to append the selected files or folders to the playlist[/i1ivzbxyh]

To create a new playlist
[i1ivzbxyh]Either save a track list for the first time and a window will popup asking you for the playlist name, or click the "create new playlist" icon in the playlist listing.[/i1ivzbxyh]

To load a playlist
[i1ivzbxyh]Drag a playlist from the playlist listing to the track list.[/i1ivzbxyh]

To rename a playlist
[i1ivzbxyh]Select a playlist in the playlist listing, and then click it (just like you do in your file explorer)[/i1ivzbxyh]

To delete a playlist
[i1ivzbxyh]Select it in the playlist listing and hit the delete (DEL) key. This will be improved with an icon next to the playlist since it's not very obvious.[/i1ivzbxyh]

Phil

30-06-2009 16:48:30

617 seconds to index ~330GB. Nice.

siit

30-06-2009 16:53:55

[quotebi7q4vsm]are great..aka just like browsing..but thats a great feature now you can make a playlist and try out songs in another window..great addition..thanks[/quotebi7q4vsm]

Glad to hear! The credits for that idea goes to my friend and collegue "sox", who's also the guy that some years back gave me the idea of creating Vibe Streamer.

siit

30-06-2009 16:54:39

[quote3uktp9m8]617 seconds to index ~330GB. Nice.[/quote3uktp9m8]

Nice indeed, glad to see some numbers in action )

NY40Male

30-06-2009 18:15:44

Dragging The Playlist Works And Also Hitting Del Key Works...I Wouldn't Have Guessed That One In A Hundred Years...Thanks For The Help

NY40Male

30-06-2009 20:01:14

make a playlist with 10 songs...save it..close out browser...start browser...restart webpage....drag playlist over...only 1 song shows up...

siit

01-07-2009 00:05:46

[quote58jv2bza]make a playlist with 10 songs...save it..close out browser...start browser...restart webpage....drag playlist over...only 1 song shows up...[/quote58jv2bza]

I've seen this before but have no clue what has been causing it, but I was hoping to see if others experience the same and hopefully that should help me narrow it down.

So, some questions then
[list58jv2bza]- Did you uninstall your previous beta before installing the beta 4?

- If you save the playlist, then close it (by click the X on the tab) and then drag the playlist over to load it, does it work then or is it the same as when closing the browser?

- What browser and version of the browser are you using? Try this in another browser if you can and see if it works out better.

- What OS do you run on your computer?

- Do you use SSL (https) for your Vibe Streamer server?

- Try adding one song at a time to the playlist and see how many items it can hold before you start seeing any problems, does the problem appear at exactly 10 items or does it vary?[/listu58jv2bza]
Any help to narrow down this problem would be great.

NY40Male

01-07-2009 05:31:11

Did you uninstall your previous beta before installing the beta 4?
Yes...cause i screwed up the database somehow..i saved the db directory..but when i reinstalled...i had to reindex from scratch (that sucked)

What browser and version of the browser are you using? Try this in another browser if you can and see if it works out better.
Tried It first on Firefox 3.0.11 and then on IE8...did the same thing on both

What OS do you run on your computer? Windows XP

Do you use SSL (https) for your Vibe Streamer server? Not That Smart

Try adding one song at a time to the playlist and see how many items it can hold before you start seeing any problems, does the problem appear at exactly 10 items or does it vary?...Tried Adding 1 Song..Then 1 Song..Saved It After 2 Songs...Restarted Browser...Came Back With Just 1 Song..Both Browsers...Tried Loading A Whole Album....Restarted...Came Back With 1 Song..

Hope This Helps
Sorry To Do This To You

siit

01-07-2009 10:01:07

[quote3fh4qi60]Yes...cause i screwed up the database somehow..i saved the db directory..but when i reinstalled...i had to reindex from scratch (that sucked)[/quote3fh4qi60]

During the beta I'm making a lot of changes without thinking much about backwards compability, that's why you have to reinstall the beta completely in order to avoid any weird bugs. That also means that you cannot keep your db directory since you will have outdated database structure.

Before looking into it more I'd like you to install a completely fresh beta, without keeping any files or databases and try this out. Then I'd also suggest you clear your firefox browser cache before trying out the playlists. If you don't want to wait for a full indexing, simply just index a few directories and try out the playlists. It's OK to install this fresh copy of Vibe Streamer in a new directory and keep the old one in another. But I'd recommend you to always start off with a clean version when a new beta is released.

This annoying procedure will ofcourse not be required when the stable release is out.

aem

01-07-2009 18:44:10

keeping the "conf" folder worked. still impressed about the indexing speedup.

keep on rocking! (and implemet the read-cover-from-id3-feature =)

MenoRikey

01-07-2009 18:45:56

Is it possible to have the Playlists pane expanded, by default, when starting Vibe Streamer, instead of the Now Playing pane?

biloxiboi

02-07-2009 05:25:54

I, too, am having a problem with playlists. Tracks don't show up in the playlist, but when I click to advance the playlist, the tracks play. They just don't show up.

Also, a lot of my album artwork isn't showing up.

A feature request would be to be able to expand the playlist in the window.

It would also be nice to be able to display all tags in the directories and playlist window, especially track number.

siit

03-07-2009 14:13:49

[quote3mt6tni2]I, too, am having a problem with playlists. Tracks don't show up in the playlist, but when I click to advance the playlist, the tracks play. They just don't show up. [/quote3mt6tni2]

I'm beginning to think this has to do with the tab functionality in the ExtJS library. I might have to remove the tabbing in the playlists at least for the first version. I'll look into it next week and release a new beta, maybe without the tabs for a while.

It's more important for me to have a stable release out that covers most needs and that I can improve it bit for bit, instead of keeping the app in beta stage forever.

I'll keep you all updated.

siit

03-07-2009 14:28:12

[b3q2anwkh]Current update[/b3q2anwkh]

Since the playlists have some bugs and also isn't as user friendly as I'd like it to be, I'm going to modify it a bit and release a new beta the coming week.

[list3q2anwkh]- I will remove the new "tabbing" feature and leave it out until I know it's running stable and not giving any bugs.
- I will put the shuffle and repeat buttons back where they were before, on the right side above the track list.
- There will be four buttons above the track list Load | Save | Clear | Remove.
- When clicking "Load", you will be able to select what playlist to load.
- When clicking "Save", you will be able to select amongst existing playlists if you want to save to an existing one (with the recently loaded playlist as default option), or type a new name to save as a new playlist.
- I will add a delete icon in the playlists list when you select an item (iphone style ))
- It will still be possible to load playlists by dragging it to the track list.
- Playlists will still be renamed by clicking the playlist name in the list, just as you do in your average file explorer.[/listu3q2anwkh]

As I said earlier, it's more important to me to deliver a user interface that people understand and that is bugfree so the application can go out of the beta stage and become available for more people. That way I can improve the user interface bit by bit with the ideas and thoughts given to me through the forum.

If you have any additional ideas around this, feel free to brainstorm here )

Technoholicx

03-07-2009 17:03:39

[blq8h2b5a]siit,[/blq8h2b5a]

Thank you very much for an excellent program. Just thought I would put my tuppence worth in and tell you that I have had absolutely no problems with v3.0.0b4. It has done exactly what it says on the tin. My indexing appears to take longer than some of the results I have seen here but I put that down to my setup, Vista (need I say more) and my MP3 collection on an external USB Hard Drive.

I would appreciate your help with the following,
Ideally I would like to log the music which I and others have played when logged in (also currently playing on the online section as in v2 if possible) and I notice in settings it states 'access logging for each site can be enabled by editing sites.xml in the configuration directory' but for the life of me I don't know what entry to make or at what point to make it. A point in the right direction would be great.

[blq8h2b5a] Thank You.[/blq8h2b5a]

MockY

03-07-2009 20:17:27

Just got back from a 2 week vacation in Sweden and before even unpacking when I got home, I installed the latest beta. And again, I'm blown away. The GUI works perfectly as far as I can tell. The tab feature is absolutely brilliant and it's too bad it caused issues to a point where you decided to opt out on it for the final release.

And here are some numbers (based on the exact same 90GB collection I have used throughout the entire alpha/beta testing phase)

Initial Index [b2vph098x]389[/b2vph098x] seconds
2nd Index (new only, with no new files) [b2vph098x]11[/b2vph098x] Seconds
3rd Index (All files) [b2vph098x]3[/b2vph098x] Seconds

I would like to see logging in working condition though. It's nice to be able to see what the users are streaming or have been streaming. Furthermore, I'm weak for statistics, and I would love to see some more statistic capabilities down the road. Some examples would be most listened track, album, artist and so forth...both individual and system wide. But that is a minor detail, and not something that should slow down the release of the final.

Also, some users have expressed that the GUI is a bit to bright (some have bright settings on their monitors) and I can only assume that the skinning madness will begin as soon as the final release is available. I personally love the current GUI and would not want to change it for my own profile, but we are all different (some of them are used, and quite fond of the black skin I have available in v.2.06).

Good job siit. Let's release this puppy now )

Luuj

05-07-2009 12:53:00

Really good program, I would love it when it supports the Wii flash player. Becausse the only reason why I would use this program is to stream my music to my Wii and that isn't possible right now.

Is there any mod or something like that to make the flash part of this program work with the Wii?

Btw i found this mp3 player which works in the wii browser, http//flash-mp3-player.net/players/maxi/generator/so if someone can make a modification so this player is used instead of the defeault player we can use vibestreamer with the wii!!!!

tveden

05-07-2009 14:15:40

this v.3 is "formidable"

you have made it "your and my way"

but I can not find a way to erease a playlist or rename a playlist

a most gratefull user

tveden - denmark P

Technoholicx

05-07-2009 14:48:00

[b3s7dtpi2]tveden[/b3s7dtpi2]
This was answered earlier.
Highlight the playlist and press the del key on your keyboard to delete the playlist.
Click on the playlist you wish to rename as you would any other file on your system and proceed to rename.
[b3s7dtpi2]siit[/b3s7dtpi2] is altering these methods in the next beta, you can find details by checking the earlier posts.

Regards

zjapske

05-07-2009 17:24:15

Hi

At first I would like to say some positive things ).
I have searched for a long time for a good and stable music streamer. After a long search i found Vibe Streamer. I used 2.06 for a long time, but I missed the search function. After a second long search for some streamer with a search function (wich i couldn't find) I decided to download the beta version to test (the first beta) I use it still with pleasure D

So i would say thanks to the developpersD

I use now the latest beta version. I discoverd a bug, I think. If you enable the playlist plugin for a user, drag songs into de playlist and save it. When i open de same saved playlist again by dragging it into the "playlistplace" (A) i discoverd it didn't save all the songs earlier draged into playlist, but saved only one number, the first nuber in the list.

Jaap

siit

05-07-2009 19:11:41

Those of you having problems with loading playlists, where only one track shows up in the list... can you try double clicking that track to play it, and then click the "next" button in the player, does the player switch to the next track then? (even if its still not showing up in the list?)

that info would help out a lot for me.

zjapske

05-07-2009 19:34:16

I loaded a playlist, double clicked on the first track (and the onlyone) in the playlist, starts the selected track. After the track started I clicked on the "previous" and "next"button, it results in nothing... It didn't switch to the next track.

Jaap

tveden

05-07-2009 20:02:50

deleting a playlist works perfect - but renaming a playlist get following errormessage from windows in the bottom left corner of IE 8 - I am running Windows Vista Home

tveden - Denmark

Webpage error details

User Agent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; InfoPath.2; MSN Optimized;DK; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; MSN Optimized;DK)
Timestamp Sun, 5 Jul 2009 175449 UTC

Message Type mismatch.

Line 9
Char 377040
Code 0
URI http//localhost8081/lib/ext-2.2.1/ext-all.js

Message Type mismatch.

Line 9
Char 377040
Code 0
URI http//localhost8081/lib/ext-2.2.1/ext-all.js

liorvh

05-07-2009 20:32:41

it happen to me also, i had to reinstall it, and now it's good.

tveden

05-07-2009 21:01:55

it happen to me also, i had to reinstall it, and now it's good.[/quote232tvztl]

do you know why

tveden - denmark

liorvh

06-07-2009 12:14:26

nope! don't have a clue.
just reinstalled it...and walla!

tveden

06-07-2009 12:19:37

nope! don't have a clue.
just reinstalled it...and walla![/quote11i4sd9o]

i did it but i still have the problem

liorvh

06-07-2009 12:21:59

did you uninstalled beta3?

BTW, what browser are u using?
check your browsers setup regarding JS or something..

biloxiboi

07-07-2009 21:49:09

Those of you having problems with loading playlists, where only one track shows up in the list... can you try double clicking that track to play it, and then click the "next" button in the player, does the player switch to the next track then? (even if its still not showing up in the list?)

that info would help out a lot for me.[/quote2cjwazzu]

Yes, it will advance to the next track in the list, but there is no indication of it doing so.

builderbloke

09-07-2009 04:37:25

Hi - as mentioned elsewhere I am very impressed with the work done so far on the new version.

However I did come across a problem when I played the jukebox in a Iframe on a existing web page. It still works perfectly well with firefox -
but when called up in IE6 the login page doesn't work - the login box just keeps bouncing back.

I have no idea as to whether this problem exists in IE7 or IE8 as refuse to have them due to too many compatabillity issues on my PC - maybe somebody else could try Iframing it in IE7 and above?

Can't say I'm particularly bothered by it as rarely use IE - but unfortunately most users still do.

if there is another way round slotting this excellent jukebox in a web page I'd be happy to go that way.

Thanks for all your hard work

zjapske

09-07-2009 12:21:40

I use Mozilla Firefox 3.5, the newest version. (I used before, when i reported the playlistbug, an older version of MF. Updated it to MF3.5 to test it, but it still don't work.)

siit

09-07-2009 13:00:17

[quote3fifygfk]Can't say I'm particularly bothered by it as rarely use IE - but unfortunately most users still do. [/quote3fifygfk]

I can't say I've focused on supporting an old browser such as IE6. It's 8 years old now and the ones still using it most likely isn't the ones installing a Vibe Streamer server. The Vibe Streamer client uses JavaScript technologies that is much to high-end for such as browser, so I'd like to say that the official word is that IE6 will not be supported, for good reasons only.

It's probably possible to do some minor fixes to have it up and running on IE6, but it still wouldn't be much to cheer for.

The number are going down faster and faster each day
http//www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

EDIT If running IE6, there's always the older version of Vibe Streamer (2.06) that works fine.

siit

09-07-2009 13:02:35

[quote1fq5dtgg]I use Mozilla Firefox 3.5, the newest version. (I used before, when i reported the playlistbug, an older version of MF. Updated it to MF3.5 to test it, but it still don't work.)[/quote1fq5dtgg]

The playlists bug is a mysterious one. I'm releasing a new beta in a few days. If there is no change in the bug for you, contact me and I'll gather some some details/debugging info and I should be able to work it out.

zjapske

09-07-2009 13:14:09

I'll contact you, if there is (not) a change in the playlistbug.

I hope for you, you'll find it )

Thx for the nice program =D

builderbloke

09-07-2009 16:49:38

Thanks for the prompt replySiit and quite agree there is little point worrying about such an old browser and as I said b4 I mainly use firefox anyway which works perfectly well. I just thought you opught to know just in case the problem occurs in IE7 and 8. But if you already know it works fine in those I agree its not even worth bothering about.

Many thanks once again

siit

09-07-2009 17:14:28

[quote23z6qje7]I just thought you opught to know just in case the problem occurs in IE7 and 8. But if you already know it works fine in those I agree its not even worth bothering about. [/quote23z6qje7]

I always appreciate any bug reports/issues or suggestions that I can get, so thanks for the feedback )

siit

10-07-2009 12:12:00

[b1rsn3n2b]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 5 is now available for download.[/size1rsn3n2b][/b1rsn3n2b]

[b1rsn3n2b]It is VERY important to uninstall the previous beta before installing the new one.
This is just to ensure that no unnecesarry bugs appear for you and is only necessary during the beta phase.[/color1rsn3n2b][/b1rsn3n2b]

[b1rsn3n2b]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b1rsn3n2b]
- Playlists have been improved and bugfixed
- The tabs in the queue grid has been removed
- Rare crashes due to indexing of MP3's with invalid headers should have been fixed.

Enjoy!

liorvh

10-07-2009 14:43:04

little bug i just ran into using couple of browsers just in case..

when you "Load" a playlist, and "Shuffle" it, it goes well.
but if you load another playlist (with the shuffle button still on), it won't shuffle until you off/on the shuffle button.

very annoying.

MenoRikey

10-07-2009 15:55:03

Just a small feature request, would it be possible to save the Last.fm username/password for a user somehow, so they are automatically logged in? It gets annoying to constantly log in to Last.fm everytime I start a new instance of Vibe Steamer. Thanks.

MenoRikey

10-07-2009 15:58:04

Are the tabs in the queue permanently removed? I personally liked them.

Phil

10-07-2009 18:52:54

Are the tabs in the queue permanently removed? I personally liked them.[/quote11o0bbuf]

See this post
http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewt ... =3213#3213

siit

10-07-2009 19:01:57

[quote73xqdees]
when you "Load" a playlist, and "Shuffle" it, it goes well.
but if you load another playlist (with the shuffle button still on), it won't shuffle until you off/on the shuffle button[/quote73xqdees]

Bug found and fixed. This applies to whenever you drag an item into the track list. The dragged/dropped tracks won't be added to the "shuffle store" until you disable and enabled "shuffle" again.

This will be fixed in the next beta release.

Technoholicx

10-07-2009 21:01:48

[b1yvhn7et]siit[/b1yvhn7et]
I am currently using 3B5. I must confess that I haven't tried this on previous versions so I am not sure if it is an ongoing problem but sorting doesn't work for me on any field. The icons in the dropdown boxes appear to sit on the top of the data rather than to the left of it.

siit

10-07-2009 23:19:13

[quotet4mb9lvl]I am currently using 3B5. I must confess that I haven't tried this on previous versions so I am not sure if it is an ongoing problem but sorting doesn't work for me on any field.[/quotet4mb9lvl]

Sorting on fields in the "file explorer" is not possible at the moment.

[quotet4mb9lvl]The icons in the dropdown boxes appear to sit on the top of the data rather than to the left of it.[/quotet4mb9lvl]

I'm not sure I understand that one, can you explain that a bit more?

Technoholicx

11-07-2009 05:11:27

[b1ee1u19h]siit[/b1ee1u19h]

[quote1ee1u19h]I'm not sure I understand that one, can you explain that a bit more?[/quote1ee1u19h]

I have a snapshot of exactly what I mean if you would care for me to email it otherwise if you picture in your mind the dropdown box being a square with a vertical line approximately 20% in from the left hand side where the icons should sit to the left of the line and the statement (ie. Ascending) should be to the right of the line, in my case that does not happen, the statement sits to the right of the line and the icon for the same option is on the right side also, on top of the statement.

Hope you can understand that, I can't think of a clearer way to explain it.

[b1ee1u19h]Regards[/b1ee1u19h]

squashed

12-07-2009 13:04:27

Hi - I've been using 3.0.0a4 for about a year - without issues and have been following this forum.

I thought I'd update to the latest release, 3b5. I uninstalled 3a4 and restarted my server - then did an install of 3b5. It works fine - but I have noticed a couple of issues - one minor and one serious.

1) Minor - if your check options on a group for playlist and sessions - that change is not persistant.

2) Serious - when Vibe Streamer server starts-up - CPU use is minimal (effectively zero). However, when a session connects and plays a tune then CPU jumps up to about 88% and stays there - even after the session idle timeout - even after the session disconnects - even after the last song in the playlist has finished. CPU on the server then remains at between 80 and 95% utilised by Vibe Streamer - the only solution is to stop the server - however, when you click on the [stop] button the server hangs and has to be killed.

I'm just about to reinstall 3a4 and check - but I don't believe that it had this problem.

It could well be my configuration (XP sp3) - but the other servers I have installed on this machine all seem to be fine.

squashed

12-07-2009 13:46:39

Ok - I've reinstalled 3a4 and observed the behavour-

At startup Vibe Streamer doesn't use much (zero) CPU. When a session connects it rises slightly as the tune is transfered and then goes back to between 1 and 2% - The transfer takes a second or two. While the client is playing the tune then Vibe Streamer server is doing nothing and not taking any CPU.

So at the moment I'll have to stick with 3a4.

I should add that my server monitors it's CPU and Network activity and when it drops below a certain threashold it assumes that it can shutdown and moves into standby mode. Obviously if Vibe Streamer is using 80% of the CPU when nothing is connected then it isn't going to do that.

NY40Male

12-07-2009 20:21:03

thanks

siit

13-07-2009 00:37:25

[quote37qwifxm]What Changed In Beta 5[/quote37qwifxm]

Check out the release post http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewt ... =3246#3246

siit

13-07-2009 00:46:34

[quote2p2gbtm6]I thought I'd update to the latest release, 3b5. I uninstalled 3a4 and restarted my server - then did an install of 3b5. It works fine - but I have noticed a couple of issues - one minor and one serious.[/quote2p2gbtm6]

Hi! I believe both these bugs are serious, since the first bug, with options not sticking for groups should not be any problem at all. It's a very basic function and should not be causing any problems anywhere really..

I believe that if the first bug appears for you, then I'm not suprised that something else is hanging, giving you 80% CPU load on the application.

So this one is very hard for me to debug, and even understand why it's happening. So a few "try outs" out at least to give me more info )

- If you edit a group, check the option "Playlists plugin Enabled" and then click "OK" to save the changes. If you now edit the group again instantly, the "Playlists plugin Enabled" is not checked anymore?

- Now try out this Edit a group and check the option "Playlists plugin Enabled" then click "OK" to save the changes. Now close the application (File/Exit). Without starting the application again, open the file "conf/users.xml" where you installed Vibe Streamer. Look there for the group you edited and the Node <options>. Do you see the "vibe.plugin.playlists.enabled" option?

- More things to do Uninstall Beta 5, shutdown your entire server, re-install it in another directory than you installed it in before, just to make sure.

Anyways, lets start there. This sounds like some problem with write access for your server from the Vibe Streamer application. But it's hard to guess at this moment.

scfd524

13-07-2009 07:21:53

I know you said you didn't worry about making things backwards compatible, but is there anyway to pull up my play lists from V2.06 into the Beta v5? Thanks for the product. I use it almost every day.

siit

13-07-2009 09:06:51

[quote3bap6jjz]I know you said you didn't worry about making things backwards compatible, but is there anyway to pull up my play lists from V2.06 into the Beta v5? Thanks for the product. I use it almost every day.[/quote3bap6jjz]

Glad to hear that you like Vibe Streamer ) I'm afraid though that there isn't any way to move a playlist from 2.06 into Vibe Streamer 3 /

EDIT
Well you CAN write a program that does it for you. Here's a very very short walkthrough what such an application should do if anyone is interested in playing around with it.

What you need
[list3bap6jjz]- You need an Sqlite database connector API and an API to read XML files.
- You also need an Sqlite browser/GUI to look around in the v3 database.[/listu3bap6jjz]
What your program should do
[list3bap6jjz]- Open a v2 playlist XML.
- Create a "playlist" entry in the v3 "playlists" table of the "server.db" database representing the name of the v2 playlist. The playlist must be owned by a user, so having a "userId" is needed. This can be found in the "users" table which is mapped against the v3 file "conf/users.xml"
- Iterate each item (track) in the v2 playlist XML and search for a matching item by querying the "path" column in the v3 table "items" of the database "index.db" for a match.
- Now that you have the v3 itemId of the playlist item, simply insert a new record in the v3 "playlistItems" table, together with the itemId and th the playlistId.
- Now keep querying and inserting all the items from the v2 playlist and the conversion should be done soon.[/listu3bap6jjz]

Phil

13-07-2009 16:51:34

2) Serious - when Vibe Streamer server starts-up - CPU use is minimal (effectively zero). However, when a session connects and plays a tune then CPU jumps up to about 88% and stays there - even after the session idle timeout - even after the session disconnects - even after the last song in the playlist has finished. CPU on the server then remains at between 80 and 95% utilised by Vibe Streamer - the only solution is to stop the server - however, when you click on the [stop] button the server hangs and has to be killed.[/quote3o1li3k2]

I've also experienced this with the beta 5 (previous versions were OK in this regard) and I have the same configuration as you... Windows XP Professional with SP3.

siit

13-07-2009 21:10:34

[quote9b590t27]I've also experienced this with the beta 5 (previous versions were OK in this regard) and I have the same configuration as you... Windows XP Professional with SP3.[/quote9b590t27]

Phil and Squashed, I'll contact you through PM with some info. I'd appreciate the help I can get to resolve this new mysterious bug.

zjapske

14-07-2009 20:40:59

ey

Sorry for the late response. The playlistbug from 3b4 is fixed
That's nice, but i have the have the same problem as squashed discoverd. 100%cpu useage.

I use a win2k Service Pack 4 (5.0 - 2195) server machine.

Jaap

siit

14-07-2009 23:02:21

And you did not have this bug in beta4, right?

liorvh

14-07-2009 23:09:27

Hey siit, everyone,
this time it's half a bug half support issue.

i'm working with windows 7 for about a couple of months now,
the thing is, i always turn the UAC OFF.. (IT COMES ON BY DEFAULT!)
but the UAC mechanism on the new Windows 7 is very good (better then Vista's one). anyway i decided to turn it ON and give it a try for security purposes of course.
BTW UAC is http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

anyway, with the UAC turn ON, the VibeStreamer B5 doesn't load the database of users, playlists and shares... it's like you've just installed the app.

Best Regards.

squashed

15-07-2009 00:12:22

Siit - I've had a chance to go through the tests that you have asked me to carry out.

[quote1jl2pl26]- If you edit a group, check the option "Playlists plugin Enabled" and then click "OK" to save the changes. If you now edit the group again instantly, the "Playlists plugin Enabled" is not checked anymore?[/quote1jl2pl26]

I did this and with 3b5 the Playlists option remains checked

[quote1jl2pl26]- Now try out this Edit a group and check the option "Playlists plugin Enabled" then click "OK" to save the changes. Now close the application (File/Exit). Without starting the application again, open the file "conf/users.xml" where you installed Vibe Streamer. Look there for the group you edited and the Node <options>. Do you see the "vibe.plugin.playlists.enabled" option? [/quote1jl2pl26]

I did this and with 3b5 the users.xml file for the group tested there is an entry called "vibe.plugin.playlists.enabled" in the options list and it has the word 'true'. it appears like this-

<option name="vibe.plugin.playlists.enabled">true</option>

I restart the application and the options are not checked.

[quote1jl2pl26]- More things to do Uninstall Beta 5, shutdown your entire server, re-install it in another directory than you installed it in before, just to make sure.[/quote1jl2pl26]

I did this and with 3b5 and the results were the same as above.

Don't forget this behaviour is for a group and not a user - seems to work ok for users.

Squashed

squashed

15-07-2009 00:33:26

Hi,

I think I've found another bug - but not a big deal.

If your music collection is also managed by something like Windows Media Player and it recovers information 'from the internet' about your music. It will create the album art as hidden files - including 'folder.jpg'. It may even take your own 'folder.jpg' and make it hidden.

3b5 and 3b4 certainly don't display the art work in the 'now playing' area if folder.jpg is hidden. If you unhide the file using attrib at the command prompt and ask Vibe Streamer to reindex - then the artwork is visible again.

Squashed

siit

15-07-2009 16:41:14

[quote289edw4q]3b5 and 3b4 certainly don't display the art work in the 'now playing' area if folder.jpg is hidden. If you unhide the file using attrib at the command prompt and ask Vibe Streamer to reindex - then the artwork is visible again. [/quote289edw4q]

Check the Indexing Settings in Vibe Streamer. You can check that it should index hidden items aswell. By default hidden items won't be indexed.

siit

15-07-2009 16:44:10

[b1yg9amut]Current Update[/b1yg9amut]

The playlist implementation caused some new bugs that appeared in Beta 5. The worst one being that in some cases the CPU usage goes up very high when streaming.

I've now found that bug, together with a few others related to Beta 5. I will test these for a whie and soon release a new beta.

Thanks for the bug reports, they help a lot!

squashed

15-07-2009 17:52:13

[quote3dp8gbe0]
Check the Indexing Settings in Vibe Streamer. You can check that it should index hidden items aswell. By default hidden items won't be indexed.[/quote3dp8gbe0][/quote3dp8gbe0]

Ah Ok - thanks for that.

Squashed

siit

17-07-2009 01:29:29

[bpdzbupo0]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 6 is now available for download.[/sizepdzbupo0][/bpdzbupo0]

[bpdzbupo0]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/bpdzbupo0]
- The installer will notify you with a recommendation whether you need to uninstall your previous version or not.
- The server should no longer cause the CPU to rise unusually high
- Enabling more than one group option should now work
- The shuffle function is now working as it should
- The server should no longer cause a deadlock and hang sometimes when shutdown while there is still activity on the server.

Enjoy!

NY40Male

17-07-2009 05:56:12

transcoding
We Want Transcoding
(repeat 5000 times)
okay..maybe We dont.but i do..
i know your gonna add it later..
but if your like me and your getting old )
you might have forgotten (
ps..have loved this since you fixed a dos error in 2.06 for me )
also what about some day a lyric feature?
thanks for the great work

NY40Male

17-07-2009 05:57:10

if you want to uninstall..
but you just want to say your playlists
which file would you save?
can u just save 1 particular file?
appreciate the help

liorvh

17-07-2009 11:19:10

which file would you save?
[/quote2o1xt1cw]

just save both db/ and conf/ dirs.

squashed

17-07-2009 17:16:24

Beta 6 link down't work - 404 File not found,

siit

17-07-2009 17:40:42

Forum link was broken for beta 6, fixed now.

Amish

17-07-2009 18:33:47

Hey siit. Seem like you got things sorted. But yeah Transcoding would be nice. Also what i really would like, is being about to open the stream to a pls file. So I can stream it from a media player. And then use the interface to control the stream. This way it would be possible to use vibe streamer on an iphone.

Just a thought.

B-22

17-07-2009 22:57:16

stable release this on !

squashed

18-07-2009 09:10:37

Siit,

Thanks for your work with VS 3.0.0b6 - downloaded and installed it the other day. It's working a treat.

CPU consumption is about 1% on my box (PII 350, 380MB RAM) - it jumps up when it's supposed to and settles back down.

Now installed as a service (this box serves music to everywhere in the house - other PCs, media players, Windows, Ubuntu..).

VibeStreamer is a perfect compliment to the other various players and access methods. I've been using it for over a year now and the latest additions have improved it. This kids and I use it around the house and out and about on the internet.

Great program, genuinely useful and pleasent to use.

Squashed

dustinp

20-07-2009 04:11:20

I just installed Beta 6 in Fedora 11 running Wine 1.1.23 without any problems.

I will test it some more while streaming music at work tomorrow. D

siit

20-07-2009 12:23:01

[bzchjk7xb]Current update[/bzchjk7xb]

The latest beta 6 seems pretty stable and bug free so far, which means I should be able to release it officially soon if nothing new shows up. Although I just got my vacation time now for a few weeks forward, so I'll lay low with releasing it officially until that's over, or I'll just end up chasing bugs my entire vacation )

I'll keep my eye on the forum, so if you find any more bugs, just report them.

siit

20-07-2009 12:24:35

[quote29yw2civ]Hey siit. Seem like you got things sorted. But yeah Transcoding would be nice. Also what i really would like, is being about to open the stream to a pls file. So I can stream it from a media player. And then use the interface to control the stream. This way it would be possible to use vibe streamer on an iphone. [/quote29yw2civ]

I've played around with making it work on the iphone a bit, and I have a clue on what I have to do to make it work perfectly there. I've got one myself so I'm really eager to have it working )

It's probably something I'll play around with after the stable 3.0.0 is out.

liorvh

20-07-2009 13:06:28

I've played around with making it work on the iphone a bit, and I have a clue on what I have to do to make it work perfectly there. I've got one myself so I'm really eager to have it working )
[/quote1yg8q08i]

this will be great, got one also.
just UTF8 it... and it's perfect.

P.E.R.F.E.C.T !

tnx siit.

Roux686

20-07-2009 19:50:51

Great work on the latest beta siit.

+1 for UTF-8 support ;)

aem

21-07-2009 17:47:54

Statistics don't work anymore? I know someone is listening and there is traffic - but the user statistics don't change?

What about Covers from ID3 Tags?

Any chance of getting an overview which user played which track? Kind of log?

All the rest is working fine for me now...

MockY

21-07-2009 23:04:42

Statistics don't work anymore? I know someone is listening and there is traffic - but the user statistics don't change?[/quote275j3p4e]
I have yet to try it myself, but I'm a bit of a statistics freak. Apart from working stats (just like we have it now in the 2.* release), I would love to see other stats as well...such as most played song by all users, most played track by all users, and so forth.

Luuj

22-07-2009 14:11:05

[quotej1865o2m]Hey siit. Seem like you got things sorted. But yeah Transcoding would be nice. Also what i really would like, is being about to open the stream to a pls file. So I can stream it from a media player. And then use the interface to control the stream. This way it would be possible to use vibe streamer on an iphone. [/quotej1865o2m]

It's probably something I'll play around with after the stable 3.0.0 is out.[/quotej1865o2m]
Will that work too for the Wii then? And will the last.fm plugin scroble the tracks played in that stream?

ahmahmahm

25-07-2009 17:07:28

Hi all.

Just started playing around with the latest beta of 3, having been a 2.06 user for ages. I use it from work, to access my tunes which sit on my home server. Works great!

One thing I've noticed that has changed between 2.06 and the 3.0 betas is caching. I found it very useful that 2.06 would cache (or let the browser cache) the songs it downloaded. Great for playing a song again and again if I like it, or repeating a playlist, without it having to stream the files again from my home server, using up my home internet connection bandwidth allowance.

Now with the 3.0 betas, this isn't happening - it always re-downloads a song, even if it's just played it. It isn't a browser setting, cos I have both Vibe versions running on different machines, and my 2.06 install is still letting caching happen. Is this an 'on purpose' change to prevent the browser from caching the data stream? Can the old behaviour be enabled?

thanks, Andy

Verci

27-07-2009 14:36:59

Hello Siit,

I'm really happy with recent updates, vibe is running fast and solid now.
(And my remote connection problems are solved - somehow...)

I don't know if it's to late for some requests but I'll try anyway
By default we have the artist / album / track / time / year columns.
Any chance that genre / tracknumber / bitrate could be added in the default skin to that list?
(Well, I know they can but don't wonna change the JS & Queries every new release ;) and it's not that much of an update.)

And second, any change we will be able to search on those other fields in the future or is it too much of a performance problem?

Regards,
V

Verifex

27-07-2009 21:28:52

Awesome!

I love it.

I was just wondering about two things. The old vibe streamer, when you opened it in the browser, displayed the song title/info in the title of the page so you could minimize it and it would display what was currently playing. Can we have that feature back? Also, when I drag a playlist to be played, and then drag another playlist after that, it only seems to display the last playlist I loaded, so being able to load multiple playlists without them clearing out each time seems like a natural thing, is that planned?

Verci

28-07-2009 00:35:38

Verifex

If you want the now playing track in the title

In the folder Vibe Streamer\sites\default\vibe\build there should be a file called vibe-all.js

Open it with notepad and after

[quote1eqjrrdn]this.currentTrack.commit();[/quote1eqjrrdn]

add the following

[quote1eqjrrdn]document.title = record.get("name");[/quote1eqjrrdn]
or
[quote1eqjrrdn]document.title = record.get("mdArtist") + '-' + record.get("mdTitle");[/quote1eqjrrdn]

Apparently you're not the only one missing that feature ;)

liorvh

28-07-2009 01:16:54

nice one Verci. +1

Phil

30-07-2009 18:24:52

I still am having the same issue with a folder named '0-9' not showing up in VS. This has been consistent through the last few beta releases. I have a separate physical partition, drive E, containing folders 0-9 and A-Z. Folders A, B, C, etc. show up fine. Folder 0-9 does not. I've tried moving the folder to a new location and re-indexing, renaming the folder and nothing has worked. It shows up fine in Windows Explorer and all sub folder work as expected. Don't know if this is just a one-off on my setup but thought it should be mentioned again.

Edit OK, I changed the name of the 0-9 directory to ~0-9 and it was picked up on re-index. No clue why this isn't working, but I'll try it on another one of my setups and see if I can't duplicate it.

MockY

30-07-2009 19:22:47

The issue with number folders not showing up has never been an issue for me, nor is it now. I find it very odd that you have a problem with it. If you have another computer laying around, reinstall the same OS as you currently have on the server, install VS3 and shove in the slave drive and see if the same issue occurs.

Phil

30-07-2009 19:29:27

The issue with number folders not showing up has never been an issue for me, nor is it now. I find it very odd that you have a problem with it. If you have another computer laying around, reinstall the same OS as you currently have on the server, install VS3 and shove in the slave drive and see if the same issue occurs.[/quote3rqekbgn]

I have a few laying around. I'll try that. However, I'm wondering if it's not something specific to my setup.

MockY

30-07-2009 22:10:07

Easiest way of finding out is not replace the boot drive and reinstall the OS on the new drive. That way you end up the exact same setup.
My guess is that your Windows install got bonked along the way. It certainly would not be the first time.

NY40Male

02-08-2009 00:48:37

If You Wanted To Find The Playlist File (Im Guessing Its An XML File)
Where Would You Locate This..I Looked And Looked And Can't Find One
Thanks

Verci

02-08-2009 08:01:29

NY40Male,

The playlist is saved in the server.db database.

liorvh

02-08-2009 19:27:42

is there any tweak i can do to see what songs ppl are listening to? (like @ 2.06) ?

MockY

02-08-2009 21:12:41

is there any tweak i can do to see what songs ppl are listening to? (like @ 2.06) ?[/quote8tpmry52]
Currently, there is no way of tracking what people are listening to via the Admin GUI. Nor is the data logged for later retrieval. However, you can enable this on a per user basis via the Admin GUI. Once enabled, you can see what the user is listening to once logged in to Vibestreamer.

liorvh

02-08-2009 23:59:07

thanks MockY.

siit, i guess it is another Feature Request when you got the time for it, it will be great if we could see at the Admin GUI what ppl are listening to (in 2.06 it was a great indication for a corrupted file also).

so we down to UTF8 & Logging Option )

CANT WAIT....!

TNX

Mastakilla

03-08-2009 16:27:31

thanks MockY.

siit, i guess it is another Feature Request when you got the time for it, it will be great if we could see at the Admin GUI what ppl are listening to (in 2.06 it was a great indication for a corrupted file also).

so we down to UTF8 & Logging Option )

CANT WAIT....!

TNX[/quoteoq8r6eml]
+1 for logging!!

great work on the rest

thiru06

05-08-2009 05:16:58

Hi Everyone,

One thing i notice in 3.0.0b6 is that it was not displaying most of my album cover art.

I've managed to fix it by editing Line 22 and adding the following in bold

\\Vibe Streamer\sites\default\vibe\resources\ajax\plugin\nowplaying\get-cover.vibe

Line 22 <<<<<<+ " AND ([name]='cover.jpg' OR [name]='folder.jpg' [biob7wlxh]OR [name]='folder.jpeg')"[/biob7wlxh]>>>>>>

It wasn't pulling most of my album art because the files were folder.jpeg. By doing this simple mod, album art was showing up in Vibe Streamer.

Vidmo

09-08-2009 17:41:27

Just a minor UI bug that should be corrected.

OS WinXP
Browser IE8

When selecting the dropdown options next to each of the columns, the icons/checkboxes are too far right and cover the menu option.
[img34cr9mz6]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2816/menuvmp.jpg[/img34cr9mz6]

Vidmo

09-08-2009 17:48:28

From my tests it looks like that you need to include whatever album art file type in the Indexing file patterns for the album art to show correctly.

IE If your album art was stored as "folder.jpg" you need to have either "*.jpg" or "folder.jpg" listed in the Indexing file patterns. Now the album art will show.

But that also causes the "folder.jpg" to show up in the music listings. Is there a way to have Vibe streamer index the folder.jpg, but not have the folder.jpg file show along with the MP3 files?

TIA,
Vidmo

Vidmo

09-08-2009 18:37:56

This is an odd one; I'm seeing a UI bug with large fonts enabled and the Directory scroll bar not working on a laptop.

OS WinXP, Large fonts enabled
Browser IE8
Laptop with touchpad

The Directory scrollbar is non-functional in this setup. The up and down arrows are disabled and you cannot click anywhere in the scrollbar area to move up or down.

If you use the touchpad "scroll" function the scrollbar "wakes up", but it still mostly non-functional. Once the scrollbar has "woken up" you can click directly on the slider, and you can drag the slider up and down. But the normal scrollbar functions, like clicking anywhere inside the scrollbar area, or clicking on the upper and lower arrows do not work.

This is what the scrollbar looks like before it "wakes up".
[imgk7jxq0ko]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8673/directoryp.jpg[/imgk7jxq0ko]

siit

10-08-2009 10:15:56

[quote1tkxf748]Statistics don't work anymore? I know someone is listening and there is traffic - but the user statistics don't change? [/quote1tkxf748]

aem Did you uninstall the last beta you installed before installing the new one? Does it still not work for you?

siit

10-08-2009 10:18:07

[quote3fqx5scx]Will that work too for the Wii then? And will the last.fm plugin scroble the tracks played in that stream?[/quote3fqx5scx]

Any iPhone-supported functionality will probably be for iphone only. But I've had thought on creating a "Simple" site, that should be able to use on multiple portables and consoles, such as the Wii. It's on my own wish-list at least.

siit

10-08-2009 10:19:12

[quote161pcewf]One thing I've noticed that has changed between 2.06 and the 3.0 betas is caching. I found it very useful that 2.06 would cache (or let the browser cache) the songs it downloaded. Great for playing a song again and again if I like it, or repeating a playlist, without it having to stream the files again from my home server, using up my home internet connection bandwidth allowance. [/quote161pcewf]

This was more of a "feature" in version three, allowing the statistics counter work as it should. But maybe it should be an optional setting. I'll think about it.

siit

10-08-2009 10:22:15

[quote22pxlvth]I don't know if it's to late for some requests but I'll try anyway
By default we have the artist / album / track / time / year columns.
Any chance that genre / tracknumber / bitrate could be added in the default skin to that list?
(Well, I know they can but don't wonna change the JS & Queries every new release Wink and it's not that much of an update.)[/quote22pxlvth]
Dunno if I'll change that at once. Even if they aren't visible they cause the listings to be slower in general. For now you'll have to modify it in the code yourself. A hint is that you can actually override it through javascript, instead of modifying the code itself. That is in general always my recommendation if you make your own modifications.

[quote22pxlvth]And second, any change we will be able to search on those other fields in the future or is it too much of a performance problem? [/quote22pxlvth]
That won't be a performance problem at because the way Vibe Streamer handles the index. I've had thoughts about implementing that, maybe together with "id3 tag" browsing (for those of you that don't want to list it just by file structure)

siit

10-08-2009 10:23:31

[quote2q7efc5b]Also, when I drag a playlist to be played, and then drag another playlist after that, it only seems to display the last playlist I loaded, so being able to load multiple playlists without them clearing out each time seems like a natural thing, is that planned?[/quote2q7efc5b]

That's a good idea. I'll think about it. Maybe you could get a question when dragging and dropping, if you'd like to clear the list and add the new one or append it to the current track list.

siit

10-08-2009 10:25:17

[quote1qehej75]Just a minor UI bug that should be corrected.

OS WinXP
Browser IE8

When selecting the dropdown options next to each of the columns, the icons/checkboxes are too far right and cover the menu option. [/quote1qehej75]

This is a bug in the javascript library I'm using for Vibe Streamer 3. I'll have to update it to a later version of the library for this to be fixed. But this isn't a minor issue and will have to be done later on. So the ones running IE8 will have to live with that for now /

siit

10-08-2009 10:28:43

[b1ddelac8]Current Update[/b1ddelac8]

I'm back now from a two week vacation in the USA. I have a few days of vacation left, but I guess I won't be able to keep my hands off some development at least for then )

I'll keep working a bit on version 3, mainly checking out some additional logging features. Before I think it's time to actually release it as a stable version. Yay! )

MockY

10-08-2009 19:55:44

[b196tr8ve]Current Update[/b196tr8ve]
I'll keep working a bit on version 3, mainly checking out some additional logging features. Before I think it's time to actually release it as a stable version. Yay! )[/quote196tr8ve]
Awesome!!!

thiru06

11-08-2009 00:53:48

[bipszeeqs]Current Update[/bipszeeqs]

I'm back now from a two week vacation in the USA. I have a few days of vacation left, but I guess I won't be able to keep my hands off some development at least for then )

I'll keep working a bit on version 3, mainly checking out some additional logging features. Before I think it's time to actually release it as a stable version. Yay! )[/quoteipszeeqs]

Just can't wait, Im excited D

One thing I've notice on ver.3, when longing in from external site, It take a bit long (say 15-20 seconds) before longing in. This normally did not happen when i was on ver.2. It doesn't bother me, but just letting you know.

That's all for now.

Vidmo

11-08-2009 15:52:02

[b3jxa49bg]Current Update[/b3jxa49bg]

I'll keep working a bit on version 3, mainly checking out some additional logging features. Before I think it's time to actually release it as a stable version. Yay! )[/quote3jxa49bg]

Hi sit,

No comment on the laptop/touchpad issue? This is a real deal breaker and show stopper for this type of user. Seriously it's that bad.

Vidmo

thiru06

11-08-2009 18:27:47

[b1wz74azz]Current Update[/b1wz74azz]

I'll keep working a bit on version 3, mainly checking out some additional logging features. Before I think it's time to actually release it as a stable version. Yay! )[/quote1wz74azz]

Hi sit,

No comment on the laptop/touchpad issue? This is a real deal breaker and show stopper for this type of user. Seriously it's that bad.

Vidmo[/quote1wz74azz]

Vidmo,
It's a very odd thing, i have two laptops (XP) & (windows 7) both with touch pads, i have ie8 & firefox 3.X, i have no issue with scroll bars,

I am thinking it might be an issue with your local setup of touch pad on your laptop?

MockY

11-08-2009 20:36:25

Hi sit,

Vidmo[/quotehofqn7zv]

Since your install seems to be somewhat iffy, take the opportunity to convert to Linux. Ubuntu or Mint are both excellent options.

Vidmo

12-08-2009 03:48:38

Vidmo,
It's a very odd thing, i have two laptops (XP) & (windows 7) both with touch pads, i have ie8 & firefox 3.X, i have no issue with scroll bars,

I am thinking it might be an issue with your local setup of touch pad on your laptop?[/quote2s5mtivs]

Hi thiru06,

Thanks for reporting your findings, I had not yet had a chance to test it on another laptop. Did you per chance have either laptop with large fonts enabled? This could either be a touchpad driver issue or a large fonts issue. I'm not convinced either way atm.

Vidmo

thiru06

12-08-2009 04:42:08

Vidmo,

I am thinking it might be an issue with your local setup of touch pad on your laptop?[/quotef9m751pn]

Hi thiru06,

Thanks for reporting your findings, I had not yet had a chance to test it on another laptop. Did you per chance have either laptop with large fonts enabled? This could either be a touchpad driver issue or a large fonts issue. I'm not convinced either way atm.

Vidmo[/quotef9m751pn]

Hey Vidmo,
Just tried with Large font (%150) on windows 7, I was seeing the scroll bar in all window column, the screen resolution wasn't pretty, it's a 12" laptop. I will try out large font on XP when i am at work tomorrow.

builderbloke

13-08-2009 16:46:57

Hi,

The new version gets better and better! Is there any way I can make a new skin for the SWF player?

I ask this not because I don't like the look but because of eye sight problems. Anything with a white background cannot be seen with my conditiopn so it would be good for me to be able to adjust contrast colours and text.

I suspect there will be others with similar problems so being able to do a 'Accessability' skin would be useful.

I am happy to do the work and submit it for others to use if they wish - but just need to know how? )

Thanks

MockY

13-08-2009 22:22:50

I am pretty sure that some people will start "skinning" Vibestreamer as soon as the final release is out. I have no issues with the current one, nor do I want another one, but some people I have talked to have expressed that they find the skin to light. So you are not only in wanting a darker theme. I can only consider myself lucky that I have no issues since I find the new look very attractive.

omikron3

20-08-2009 10:30:49

Hi
Thank you for a great program.
I am running a server with 3.0b6 on Vista x86 SP1 and SSL enabled.
Streaming to firefox browsers works well but with internet explorer 7 I get "Failed to load audio".
Is this a known bug or is there a workaround?

omikron3

20-08-2009 10:48:04

Hi
I have one more thing question.
If I have an artist where the file/folder name is xxxx_yyyyy
then the search field will not find that if i write xxxx yyyyy
I have to include the underscore.
Is it possible to filter underscore out when you index?

liorvh

22-08-2009 16:31:20

Is it possible to filter underscore out when you index?[/quote1idic5vc]

good idea! +1

kootonet

31-08-2009 12:32:17

NY40Male,

The playlist is saved in the server.db database.[/quote18d4s7x6]

Hello, I'm new to this stuff, and probably because of that, I was not able to open server.db file.

Any ideas how to edit this file?

Thanks in advance!

MockY

01-09-2009 17:27:46

There is an eery silence in here...The anticipation is killing me )

liorvh

02-09-2009 02:06:07

hahahaha )

this silence is killing me too!

thiru06

02-09-2009 06:46:31

hahahaha )

this silence is killing me to![/quoteisuqgq9r]

at this point i'll just say.... meoww

siit

02-09-2009 21:20:19

[b3k38s20x]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 7 is now available for download.[/size3k38s20x][/b3k38s20x]

[b3k38s20x]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b3k38s20x]
- Upgraded some js libraries to fix some minor bugs.
- Tracks being played are now always logged

Hopefully this beta is as stable as version 6. If that's the case, then you can see this beta as the final one before public release.

thiru06

03-09-2009 02:42:15

[b3vhekqhg]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 7 is now available for download.[/size3vhekqhg][/b3vhekqhg]

[b3vhekqhg]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b3vhekqhg]

Hopefully this beta is as stable as version 6. If that's the case, then you can see this beta as the final one before public release.[/quote3vhekqhg]

Alright! I was waiting for this for so long. D
I'm going to install it right away. Thanks siit!

NY40Male

03-09-2009 07:30:45

Waiting For The Transcoding To Be Added Until I Try It Again..All Versions Worked Perfectly For Me...The Only Problem I Had Was With Playlists And I Don't Really Use That Feature..But Being A Long Time 2.06 User...I'm In Deep Anticipation

thiru06

03-09-2009 15:30:45

[b2ayx9l6b]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 7 is now available for download.[/size2ayx9l6b][/b2ayx9l6b]

[b2ayx9l6b]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b2ayx9l6b]

Hopefully this beta is as stable as version 6. If that's the case, then you can see this beta as the final one before public release.[/quote2ayx9l6b]

Hi siit,

I did find a bug or it might just be me. I did uninstall beta6 before installing beta7.

the problem when I browse through directory tree and select respective songs, only the first track shows up in the main play list (top center window) when selecting additional items from the name menu (bottom right window) it does not load the track onto the main play list. Only way it would work is by selecting the first track and by pressing play button from the flash player, then selecting additional track to load into the main play list window.

Thanks

siit

03-09-2009 15:36:04

[quote3mg6sdzx]the problem when I browse through directory tree and select respective songs, only the first track shows up in the main play list (top center window) when selecting additional items from the name menu (bottom right window) it does not load the track onto the main play list. Only way it would work is by selecting the first track and by pressing play button from the flash player, then selecting additional track to load into the main play list window. [/quote3mg6sdzx]

What browser and version are you using?
Did you clear the cache of your browser after you've installed the beta7?

thiru06

03-09-2009 18:24:11

[quoteb5j7470j]the problem when I browse through directory tree and select respective songs, only the first track shows up in the main play list (top center window) when selecting additional items from the name menu (bottom right window) it does not load the track onto the main play list. Only way it would work is by selecting the first track and by pressing play button from the flash player, then selecting additional track to load into the main play list window. [/quoteb5j7470j]

What browser and version are you using?
Did you clear the cache of your browser after you've installed the beta7?[/quoteb5j7470j]

I'm using Firefox 3.5.2 and IE 8 on my home pc, at work Firefox 3.5.2 and IE 7. Same issue on both computer and both browser. I did also clear cache and temp file. I'm wondering if any one having the same issue?

MockY

03-09-2009 20:07:36

The bug behaves as follows for me

When a track is added, it automatically goes to the second spot in the playlist. If more songs are added, those songs does not show, regardless of how many files you add. Only one song (the first added) will show. You can't highlight/select the song either. You can't double click it to start playing either.

However, if you hit the play button, the second tracks you added is visible and correctly placed in the playlist (both of them are moved up the list to finally take up slot 1 and 2). If you added many files before pressing play, those songs are dismissed. Only 2 songs can be added before hitting play. But once pressed, the player seem to work from that point on since I can add/move/delete songs from the list.
One thing to take notice of, all the songs you tried to add before hitting Play does in fact show in the playlist once a new song is added.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with Firefox 3.0.13 and VS is residing on a Windows 2003 Server. I have not had any problems with previous versions of VS.

Furthermore, the logging feature needs some more tweaking I think. The entire path to the file that is currently streamed is displayed. It lists D/folder1/folder2/VSfolder/artist/album/song.mp3 instead of /artist/album/song.mp3. Also, it does the same for the album cover. Would be nice if .jpg files were not included in the logging at all.

Another thing, it would be nice if the album cover would be displayed in the right pane once an album is clicked on the left side. That makes browsing much more pleasing. However, that is just a feature and absolutely not a showstopper.

I noticed that you added Last Track in the Online Users popup. Nice one. Also, I noticed that the Server Log window in the admin GUI now wraps. That way I can see what file is being played without going into the actual log file. Another nice one.

thiru06

03-09-2009 20:58:00

When a track is added, it automatically goes to the second spot in the playlist. If more songs are added, those songs does not show, regardless of how many files you add. Only one song (the first added) will show. You can't highlight/select the song either. You can't double click it to start playing either.

However, if you hit the play button, the second tracks you added is visible and correctly placed in the playlist (both of them are moved up the list to finally take up slot 1 and 2). If you added many files before pressing play, those songs are dismissed. Only 2 songs can be added before hitting play. But once pressed, the player seem to work from that point on since I can add/move/delete songs from the list.
One thing to take notice of, all the songs you tried to add before hitting Play does in fact show in the playlist once a new song is added.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with Firefox 3.0.13 and VS is residing on a Windows 2003 Server. I have not had any problems with previous versions of VS.

Furthermore, the logging feature needs some more tweaking I think. The entire path to the file that is currently streamed is displayed. It lists D/folder1/folder2/VSfolder/artist/album/song.mp3 instead of /artist/album/song.mp3. Also, it does the same for the album cover. Would be nice if .jpg files were not included in the logging at all.

Another thing, it would be nice if the album cover would be displayed in the right pane once an album is clicked on the left side. That makes browsing much more pleasing. However, that is just a feature and absolutely not a showstopper.

I noticed that you added Last Track in the Online Users popup. Nice one. Also, I noticed that the Server Log window in the admin GUI now wraps. That way I can see what file is being played without going into the actual log file. Another nice one.[/quote1kc64mzf]

So it is a bug in the play list, it wasn't just me.....

I like the idea of album art appearing on the right window as well, plus the log issue as MockY mentioned.

One thing I've noticed is that login time from external site is improved. on version beta6, i'd have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds before I'm logged into vibe streamer. now on beta7 it's down to abt 5 seconds or so.

I haven't had much time to play with VS beta7 but will report any that i encounter.

Cheers!

thiru06

03-09-2009 20:59:41

I noticed that you added Last Track in the Online Users popup. Nice one. Also, I noticed that the Server Log window in the admin GUI now wraps. That way I can see what file is being played without going into the actual log file. Another nice one.[/quote3ngyhrhd]

I like the idea of album art appearing on the right window as well, plus the log issue as MockY mentioned.

One thing I've noticed is that login time from external site is improved. on version beta6, i'd have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds before I'm logged into vibe streamer. now on beta7 it's down to abt 5 seconds or so.

I haven't had much time to play with VS beta7 but will report any that i encounter.

Cheers!

thiru06

03-09-2009 21:01:28

I noticed that you added Last Track in the Online Users popup. Nice one. Also, I noticed that the Server Log window in the admin GUI now wraps. That way I can see what file is being played without going into the actual log file. Another nice one.[/quote1xhs5p7r]

Cheers!

siit

03-09-2009 21:24:35

[b2o38olnt]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 8 is now available for download.[/size2o38olnt][/b2o38olnt]

[b2o38olnt]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/b2o38olnt]
- Reverted back to older version of ExtJS due to a bug appearing in Beta 7, causing items to sometimes not to appear correctly in the track list.

A bug I didn't notice slipped through in Beta 7, sorry about that folks /

siit

03-09-2009 21:30:17

[quote18ol2c7y]When a track is added, it automatically goes to the second spot in the playlist. If more songs are added, those songs does not show, regardless of how many files you add. Only one song (the first added) will show. You can't highlight/select the song either. You can't double click it to start playing either.[/quote18ol2c7y]

Thanks for the bug report and the details guys. This should be fixed now.

[quote18ol2c7y]Furthermore, the logging feature needs some more tweaking I think. The entire path to the file that is currently streamed is displayed. It lists D/folder1/folder2/VSfolder/artist/album/song.mp3 instead of /artist/album/song.mp3. Also, it does the same for the album cover. Would be nice if .jpg files were not included in the logging at all.[/quote18ol2c7y]

There is a reason for that and at the moment I'm a bit limited by the index structure in Vibe Streamer to only show that info. Some people though has suggested that it's actually good to see exactly what physical file that is accessed, to be sure nothing slips by security. But I agree with you somewhat and I'll look into it later on.. but for now, it's not much of a show stopper )

[quote18ol2c7y]One thing I've noticed is that login time from external site is improved. on version beta6, i'd have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds before I'm logged into vibe streamer. now on beta7 it's down to abt 5 seconds or so. [/quote18ol2c7y]

I still don't know why it takes so long for you to login. It should go in an instant, depending on your router and network.. there have been no changes to the Http server between beta 6 and forward. So I have no idea why you see an improvement now. )

thiru06

03-09-2009 21:30:56

[basrk4qru]Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 beta 8 is now available for download.[/sizeasrk4qru][/basrk4qru]

[basrk4qru]Most noticeable fixes in this beta[/basrk4qru]
- Reverted back to older version of ExtJS due to a bug appearing in Beta 7, causing items to sometimes not to appear correctly in the track list.

A bug I didn't notice slipped through in Beta 7, sorry about that folks /[/quoteasrk4qru]

It's alright, i'll install beta 8 tonight and will post my findings )

siit

03-09-2009 21:31:34

[quoters7p2wgd]When a track is added, it automatically goes to the second spot in the playlist. If more songs are added, those songs does not show, regardless of how many files you add. Only one song (the first added) will show. You can't highlight/select the song either. You can't double click it to start playing either.[/quoters7p2wgd]

Thanks for the bug report and the details guys. This should be fixed now.

[quoters7p2wgd]Furthermore, the logging feature needs some more tweaking I think. The entire path to the file that is currently streamed is displayed. It lists D/folder1/folder2/VSfolder/artist/album/song.mp3 instead of /artist/album/song.mp3. Also, it does the same for the album cover. Would be nice if .jpg files were not included in the logging at all.[/quoters7p2wgd]

There is a reason for that and at the moment I'm a bit limited by the index structure in Vibe Streamer to only show that info. Some people though has suggested that it's actually good to see exactly what physical file that is accessed, to be sure nothing slips by security. But I agree with you somewhat and I'll look into it later on.. but for now, it's not much of a show stopper )

[quoters7p2wgd]One thing I've noticed is that login time from external site is improved. on version beta6, i'd have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds before I'm logged into vibe streamer. now on beta7 it's down to abt 5 seconds or so. [/quoters7p2wgd]

I still don't know why it takes so long for you to login. It should go in an instant, depending on your router and network.. there have been no changes to the Http server between beta 6 and forward. So I have no idea why you see an improvement now. )

thiru06

03-09-2009 21:47:49

[quote28yxafb9]
I still don't know why it takes so long for you to login. It should go in an instant, depending on your router and network.. there have been no changes to the Http server between beta 6 and forward. So I have no idea why you see an improvement now. )[/quote28yxafb9]

I have no clue, but the network setting are properly configured. When i was on 2.06 it was loading at instance less than 3 seconds, soon as i've installed ver 3.b6, login time took longer (15-20s) and on ver 3.b7 it was alot faster (5-8s)... Through out this time there was no router / firewall configurations but there were weekly reboots. Just wondering if any have the same issue

MockY

03-09-2009 23:26:38

Now it all works again. However, now the ability to see what users play inside the player is gone. Nothing is listed under Last Track (which, by the way, I probably will change to Currently Played Track, or something similar if possible).
But once that ability is back, I say it's ready to release this bad boy into the wild.

EDIT
Once I played a fourth a track, it started showing it again. Odd...

Mikefield

05-09-2009 20:50:35

I'm using Vibe Streamer 2.06 over a long time. But I'm also interesting for a newer version. This weekend was time to switch With Opera 10 it does not possible to select folders anymore in Rel. 2.06. So I installed the 3.0.0b8. It works fine and I'm happy with it. Some questions are cleared, after I read this thread from the beginning. )
But some things are still unanswered. Here my questions / suggestions

1st I found a favicon in the /sites/default folder, but it's not displaying here in Opera (and also not from this website here). I also add
[code2tghr2zs]<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /> [/code2tghr2zs]in the <head> section of the index.vibe, but it doesn't help. Is here a possibility to add the favicon to display in the browser?

2nd It's only possible to pause the current playing track, but it could not be "unload". so that the titel line is empty. It's a little bit unhandy. Is it possible to have also a stop button to "unload"?

3rd When I add a folder to the main play list, there are only shown the last tracks and every time I must scroll up to the first track to start from there. Is it possible to jump to the 1st track per default?

4th When I add a folder or a track to a empty main play list, is it possible to autostart the 1st song (could be add a button autoplay left from Repeat)

5th It would be fine to have the ability to configure Vibe Streamer over a website.

6th It would be fine to hide other files in the directory, so that only music files are shown

7th In the directory list it's not possible to scroll to the right side. If there are a lot of subfolder, it's not possible to read the complete folder name

8th Coming soon Go back to the parent folder

9th The program means there is a newer beta available, but 3.0.0b8 is installed

10th The volume level isn't stored. After refresh it's set back to maximum.

OK, hope that's all at this time.
Thank you very much Siit, for this great program!!!!

mf

liorvh

07-09-2009 03:45:34

11th UTF8 support
12th Done.

B-22

09-09-2009 15:44:55

[quoteg63zob8v]One thing I've noticed that has changed between 2.06 and the 3.0 betas is caching. I found it very useful that 2.06 would cache (or let the browser cache) the songs it downloaded. Great for playing a song again and again if I like it, or repeating a playlist, without it having to stream the files again from my home server, using up my home internet connection bandwidth allowance. [/quoteg63zob8v]

This was more of a "feature" in version three, allowing the statistics counter work as it should. But maybe it should be an optional setting. I'll think about it.[/quoteg63zob8v]

and please! 13th.. thanx for the hard work siit wink

ahmahmahm

13-09-2009 20:49:16

[quotezvm5fkdt]One thing I've noticed that has changed between 2.06 and the 3.0 betas is caching. I found it very useful that 2.06 would cache (or let the browser cache) the songs it downloaded. Great for playing a song again and again if I like it, or repeating a playlist, without it having to stream the files again from my home server, using up my home internet connection bandwidth allowance. [/quotezvm5fkdt]

This was more of a "feature" in version three, allowing the statistics counter work as it should. But maybe it should be an optional setting. I'll think about it.[/quotezvm5fkdt]
Thanks!

MenoRikey

17-09-2009 17:10:42

Small feature request, would it be possible to have an option to cache the list of songs that are queued? So when you load a list of songs to play, it would play the first song, then in the background, somehow, cache the rest of the songs in the list, so playing the list would be a little more seamless. Thanks.

MockY

17-09-2009 18:54:29

Small feature request, would it be possible to have an option to cache the list of songs that are queued? [/quote1585xsxt]
I really don't see the benefit of this feature. What if I add 16 albums that I want to play throughout the day, or to have while I'm doing the dishes or something. If all these tracks are downloaded at the same time, whether I'm going to listen to it or not, it will eat my bandwidth. Especially if multiple people are doing the same within the same LAN. VS would be close to useless. Besides, it seems a bit wasteful to download/cache songs that will not be played.

Phil

17-09-2009 20:03:07

Caching the next track would be ideal.

kjparenteau

18-09-2009 06:12:56

[quote2qdmpt99]Caching the next track would be ideal.[/quote2qdmpt99]This I agree would be a nice option within the admin for a group based permission, but ONLY the next song in the queue. Anything past that such as caching an entire playlist is too much, and as MockY said "wasteful".

siit

18-09-2009 13:23:13

Vibe Streamer 3 is finally released, see http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699

MenoRikey

21-09-2009 20:12:55

I really don't see the benefit of this feature. What if I add 16 albums that I want to play throughout the day, or to have while I'm doing the dishes or something. If all these tracks are downloaded at the same time, whether I'm going to listen to it or not, it will eat my bandwidth. Especially if multiple people are doing the same within the same LAN. VS would be close to useless. Besides, it seems a bit wasteful to download/cache songs that will not be played.[/quotefikmgq3t]

Read my post, hawkeye, I requested an OPTION, which mean a way to turn it on and off.

Though I do like the idea of cacheing the next song though.

darryl101

24-08-2010 19:42:51

im finding the latest VS stable if faster. or is it my hardware that is too slow that's why I don't appreciate it that much D