Vibe Streamer 3 - Alpha download (Latest version 3.0.0a4)

siit

25-05-2008 15:00:33

Vibe Streamer 3 is now in beta testing stage.
You can find the new thread for download link and discussions regarding
the beta release here.[/url2b726jz4]

This thread is now closed and the discussions will continue in the new thread.

flux

25-05-2008 19:04:05

Yey! lol

flux

25-05-2008 19:32:15

Basic functions tested in Linux, Ubuntu hardy (kubuntu) with wine-0.9.59 and firefox 2.0.0.14.
Works without a flaw.
Installation instructions are basicly the same as with erlier versions.
Short
- Install wine, firefox and whatever you need to get sound from the flashplugin.
- Install vibestreamer, run it, configure users and share, reindex and hit start.

Good work siit!

siit

25-05-2008 20:07:41

yay, good one.. thanks for testing )

Amish

25-05-2008 23:41:07

[b33livs71]Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 2 - 5.1.2600
Adobe Flash Player 9[/b33livs71]

[b33livs71]Bugs[/b33livs71]

- Indexing my M\ drive. (Music Drive) - Size is 0.00 B, when logging in, M shows up but clicking it reveals no media inside.

- When adding a directory, adding a folder messes some things up.

[img33livs71]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7349/vibe1nk0.png[/img33livs71]

- Music wont play in the flash player for me in IE7 but works good in firefox.

[b33livs71]Suggestions[/b33livs71]

- Resizable window

- Extended Log Management

So far wicked man, slick. I know its alpha so im not hounding you. But nice.

siit

26-05-2008 08:53:00

[quote3lodbuzp]Indexing my M\ drive. (Music Drive) - Size is 0.00 B, when logging in, M shows up but clicking it reveals no media inside.
[/quote3lodbuzp]
Bug found

[quote3lodbuzp]When adding a directory, adding a folder messes some things up. [/quote3lodbuzp]
Bug found

siit

26-05-2008 13:12:42

I saw the share indexing as quite a critical bug, so I released the alpha 2 version with a quick-fix that should hopefully fix it. It should be possible to install it ontop of the previous alpha version.

Amish As for IE7 won't play your songs.. that's something I haven't experienced myself and I've used IE7 mostly while developing (due to it's slightly better performance with extjs). Can you dig a bit deeper into this one? Maybe check if it's some security restriction? Maybe try setting your vibe site as trusted.

As for more advanced logging, go into conf/skins.xml and enable the access log for your standard site. It's good to have it enabled for debug aswell.. maybe it will show you if IE7 is even trying to play your mp3, of if it fails before?

yoghurt-feen

26-05-2008 14:27:21

Hey
Im really enjoying using your program but i just noticed a minor bug

[b1tuynh73]Screenshot removed[/b1tuynh73]

I have to click twice at the button(marked with red) to access the playlist and browse section

Using Firefox 3(RC1) and fully updated Flash.

And another bug i found is that when i try to open a directory with alot of songs (757 songs), the browser shows nothing... but im able to find the files if i search for them )

EDIT Is it possible to add a feature to search ind multiply folders at the same time? )

Keed up the good work

- Yoghurt )

Amish

26-05-2008 16:20:24

[b4defxsge]Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 2 - 5.1.2600
Adobe Flash Player 9
Vibe Streamer 3.0.0a2

Bugs[/b4defxsge]

- Site Permissions/Share Permissions, checks length but numbers above 255 can be written eg. 555.555.555.555 this should return an error but dosn't.

- When viewing a root partition in the web UI, it shows all folders, but no files show up. Files only show up when accessing a folder.

- Not serious but in IE7 I get an error "'data' is null or not an object" on
line 143, char 7013. It dosn't seem to do anything but its there. Just pointing it out.

- I shared a drive, and now a folder. The processing seems to have hanged, but as you can see, the folder is showing up, and I can play music.

[img4defxsge]http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9603/vibe2hl2.png[/img4defxsge]

- I seemed to have repicated the glitch for not playing. I get this error "Object dosn't support this property or method" line 63, char 3. And only appears when I double clicked to play a song in the playlist. After this happened, it happened with EVERY song, even after a refresh. I had to Shift Refresh to get songs working again. I'll dive deeper to get somethign more concrete.

[b4defxsge]Suggestions[/b4defxsge]

- Really vein but when entering a user, tab won't tab across fields. I know its stupid, but its easier to type the user, tab then the password and enter to save it.

- On searching hitting enter would be cool, insted of pressing search now. Makes it quicker. I'm assuming the search is going to be extended. If so dont you think it would be bettter in the sidebar?

- Refresh on folders would be nice, once indexing something new the whole page has to be reloaded.

Thats all I could get now. P I'll play with it more soon.

ifloydian

26-05-2008 22:30:28

I really like the new version. Thanks.

Can't wait for the Album covers to work as I have used skin packages with vibestreamerindexer.exe to do it with version 2.06 (and to perform searches).

[b3ry3d22p]Bug?[/b3ry3d22p]
I think I found a bug in the search feature. I am searching for "love" which is in the title of many songs. Upon searching I get no results found. But if I search for other words it seems to work. I know the other queries work as I searched for "anything" and it found [i3ry3d22p]Meatloaf - I wound Do Anything for Love[/i3ry3d22p]. But, it didn't find it when I searched using the keyword "love". Weird 'eh? (Or do you just not want us searching for love? D )

[b3ry3d22p]Question[/b3ry3d22p]
Also I have lyric files(.lrc) in the folders with my mp3's and they show up along with anything else in the folder like folder.jpg, albumartsmall.jpg, albumart_*****.jpg, thumbs.db & desktop.ini when browsing my library. (BTW I have removed the hide attribute from all files and I assume that's why folder.jpg, desktop.ini, etc, are showing up) Will there be any way to filter these? Do I just need to set the hide attribute for all lrc files?

On behalf of the VibeStreamer user community I would like to say, Thanks for the great work.

Yukiko

27-05-2008 09:33:34

Thanks Siit!

ifloydian to quote a country and western song, maybe you're "Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places".
*grins*

mp3maniac

27-05-2008 18:26:26

Nice Work! I like the fact that it is not a great learning curve from previous version. D

Installed successfully on Windows XP SP3. Worked fine. Did notice some of the buggy things already mentioned in this post.

Installed successfully on Windows 2k3 server. Base install, not as a service yet. Will test when I have the time. I did keep my Vibe Streamer 2 service up and running with no ill effects. Made sure port was different.

Original index of 43GB of music took 444 seconds. 22 seconds on next run. Noticed all the extra info in the XML files.

Will post bugs as I have time to dig into it better.

QBOX2006

28-05-2008 05:13:59

Thanks siit! I'll be sure to put my testing skills to work and report soon. )

siit

28-05-2008 09:34:49

Alright, looked through a few of the bugs last night.

[quote2nl0rp3j]I have to click twice at the button(marked with red) to access the playlist and browse section. Using Firefox 3(RC1) and fully updated Flash. [/quote2nl0rp3j]

Fixed - Coming with alpha3

[quote2nl0rp3j]Site Permissions/Share Permissions, checks length but numbers
above 255 can be written eg. 555.555.555.555 this should return an error but dosn't.[/quote2nl0rp3j]

[quote2nl0rp3j]I shared a drive, and now a folder. The processing seems to have
hanged, but as you can see, the folder is showing up, and I can play music.
[/quote2nl0rp3j]

[quote2nl0rp3j]When viewing a root partition in the web UI,
it shows all folders, but no files show up. Files only show up when accessing a folder.[/quote2nl0rp3j]

I've tried to replicate this without success, it might be that it was fixed during other bug fixes, so please try this again when the next alpha is out.

[quote2nl0rp3j]Is it possible to add a feature to search in multiply folders at
the same time?
[/quote2nl0rp3j]

Not at this time, the search functionality is quite basic to start with, more additions might come later, or if anyone's interested of adding it themselves.. maybe a more advanced search addon located in the module bar to the left?

[quote2nl0rp3j]And another bug i found is that when i try to open a directory with alot of songs (757 songs), the browser shows nothing... but im able to find the files if i search for them Smile[/quote2nl0rp3j]

I've tried to replicate this but without success. I added a folder with 1500 txt files and it showed up (although quite slow, since there is a lot of javascript running). as a note, i'm thinking about adding some kind of paging functionality in order to speed things up on larger folder.. just need to think a bit on how it should work. But try to investigate this a bit further if you can, because it seems to work for me actually.

[quote2nl0rp3j]I think I found a bug in the search feature. I am searching for
"love" which is in the title of many songs. Upon searching I get
no results found. But if I search for other words it seems to work. [/quote2nl0rp3j]

Very weird .. as above, I haven't been able to replicate this myself.. can anyone else try this?

[quote2nl0rp3j]Not serious but in IE7 I get an error "'data' is null or not an object" on
line 143, char 7013. It dosn't seem to do anything but its there. Just pointing it out. [/quote2nl0rp3j]

Aye, that has annoyed me for sometime.. just haven't done anything about it yet D

Anyways.. have some more fixes to do before the next alpha is out.. so until then you have to live with these bugs ).. and keep giving me feedback, bug reports and suggestions, it really helps out a lot )

//siit

B-22

28-05-2008 12:49:08

hey siit,THANX for this next version of vibe streamer D , but will there be a mime type filter for typecall extensions like { thumbs,desktop.ini , etc}like earlyer post

oh,and i like it when my jpg picture is showing up in the folder section to see,because it was for me so hard work to convert all the albumart pictures,now i get albumart and the jpg file, i think it was a script modification for that ?

many thanx for the hard work siit,because i use vibe streamer every day at my work,realy addicted!!
D

[urlr3yrd7w0]http://b-22.ontvangt.nl[/urlr3yrd7w0]

username & password = 22

ifloydian

28-05-2008 14:45:13

[quote1qh2bhyb]I think I found a bug in the search feature. I am searching for
"love" which is in the title of many songs. Upon searching I get
no results found. But if I search for other words it seems to work. [/quote1qh2bhyb]

Very weird .. as above, I haven't been able to replicate this myself.. can anyone else try this?

[/quote1qh2bhyb]

I have tried reindexing the library by mapping a different drive to it just to see what would happen. Honestly I don't believe it's limited to the search word "love". I haven't confirmed any other queries not working though.

For reference
Perform search on "love" - no results.
[img1qh2bhyb]http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9657/vibe1xy8.jpg[/img1qh2bhyb]

Perform search on "anything" - results.
[img1qh2bhyb]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3158/vibe2vk5.jpg[/img1qh2bhyb]

See, "love" actually exists
[img1qh2bhyb]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6451/vibe3my9.jpg[/img1qh2bhyb]

I hope this helps. oops

siit

28-05-2008 17:26:24

[b2t6ta8i2]B-22[/b2t6ta8i2]

[quote2t6ta8i2]but will there be a mime type filter for typecall extensions like { thumbs,desktop.ini , etc}like earlyer post.[/quote2t6ta8i2]

This already exists, although like many things it's not inserted into the server GUI yet. But you can change this now by stopping the application, editing conf/server.xml and changing the row

<filePatterns>*.*</filePatterns>

to something more fitting..
i've edited the default setting now to instead being

<filePatterns>*.gif|*.jpeg|*.jpg|*.mp3|*.nfo|*.txt</filePatterns>

A GUI part for this will be added into the server in alpha3, a new page called "Indexing" will be added in the settings where both this can be set aswell as an option to index hidden files or not.

As a notice, I thought long about whether I should make it possible to set this for EACH share.. but after checking around I feel that this should be a global indexing setting in order to keep things simple and easy to understand. I guess it really should be enough for 99% of all people wanting to run Vibe Streamer.

[b2t6ta8i2]ifloydian[/b2t6ta8i2]
I'm PM'ing you an email address that you can send you share.xml file to (if you're OK with sharing your indexing data, that is).. to make things easier you can maybe make a small shared folder containing this "love" file that doesn't work, and re-indexing it and sending me a smaller share.xml file. That way I can try this myself in order to find the problem.

//siit

siit

29-05-2008 14:51:04

[b1hxsivli]ifloydian[/b1hxsivli]
Thanks for the file, I tried it in 3.0.0a2 and it was just like you said. But in the upcoming 3.0.0a3 I've made a few url encoding fixes to the search and there it worked fine.. so when that one is released, try it out give me verification that the problem is solved..

//siit

gabbe

29-05-2008 21:28:47

First i want to congratulations u for a fine job... i dont get anything either on a "love" search... but i was wondering if and how its possible to download the files (mp3). Keep up the good job!!! Speek about love - i love vibestreamer!

siit

29-05-2008 23:50:19

Alright, new alpha version out now.

As stated next to the download link this requires you to uninstall the old version and install this one "fresh". The reason for this is that I've made loads of refactoring in the configuration files, this is an alpha after all and I'm quite dedicated to having things correct from start this time ]

Anyways, this one should solve a couple of bugs mentioned earlier, but major refactoring can always bring new ones.. so keep it up, all the help I can get is greatly appreciated.

//siit

ifloydian

30-05-2008 02:29:46

[bmbpx07pu]ifloydian[/bmbpx07pu]
Thanks for the file, I tried it in 3.0.0a2 and it was just like you said. But in the upcoming 3.0.0a3 I've made a few url encoding fixes to the search and there it worked fine.. so when that one is released, try it out give me verification that the problem is solved..

//siit[/quotembpx07pu]

I tried Alpha 3 and got no "Love" on the search. Same results as before. (

I'm running it on Windows Server 2003 sp2. I did a clean uninstall, installed a3, configured everything in VSa3 and tested. Boooo

siit

30-05-2008 02:43:14

[quotemsdkbu20]I tried Alpha 3 and got no "Love" on the search. Same results as before.[/quotemsdkbu20]

very odd indeed.. tried it here on your share.xml now and it worked fine.. hmm... I'll keep digging and the problem will be found soon enough..

ifloydian

31-05-2008 02:28:16

I tried a couple different queries to see if I could narrow down the problem. I found if I search for "for love" it would return the song.

[imgrnx46dab]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8586/vibe4vx0.jpg[/imgrnx46dab]

Weird 'eh?

tschneider

02-06-2008 12:42:23

Oh man, what a great Job!!!

I'm excited about the new skin Minimalistic, well organized and... fast!!!

Tested on Windows 2003 R2 Service Pack 2 (on Virtual Server 2005 machine ;-) )

Some Suggestions

- Username/password are case sensitive. Please give us the option to make in not sensitive.
- It took about one minute for me to find the "search" button... Pleeeeease, make it just a little bit bigger ;-)
- The album cover is not shown although the folder.jpg file is present in the folder (bug or a feature?)
- Could the album cover be shown at the "Files" frame instead of only at the "Track Information" frame?
- "Online Sessions" frame is a really very cool option, but... could it be enabled/disabled as a user right setting?

I'll continue testing it deeper... but I can tell you if the final release is as almost perfect as I'm suspecting... I'll give my donation. I promise it!!!

siit

02-06-2008 13:21:36

[quote33k7f2uj] Username/password are case sensitive. Please give us the option to make in not sensitive.[/quote33k7f2uj]

This is probably nothing I'll fix. Although usernames should probably be case insensitive, but passwords will be left case sensitive for security reasons.

[quote33k7f2uj]It took about one minute for me to find the "search" button... Pleeeeease, make it just a little bit bigger
[/quote33k7f2uj]

We'll see where it will end up. I'm gonna squeeze in some more functionality in the skin, so most likely it will keep changing while it's in the alpha stage, but I can agree.. it's a bit tricky to find it at the moment.. we'll see what happens around that area..

[quote33k7f2uj]The album cover is not shown although the folder.jpg file is present in the folder (bug or a feature?)[/quote33k7f2uj]

As mentioned in the first post (upcoming features), this will be implemented during the alpha.. I'm currently working on it actually..

[quote33k7f2uj]Could the album cover be shown at the "Files" frame instead of only at the "Track Information" frame?
[/quote33k7f2uj]

It will be shown in the track information frame.. I'm not really too fond about squeezing in too much into the files/folder frames.. so if anyone wants that behaviour it has to be customized.

[quote33k7f2uj]"Online Sessions" frame is a really very cool option, but... could it be enabled/disabled as a user right setting?[/quote33k7f2uj]

Later on I will add something called "custom properties" to the users and groups. That way it will be possible to add whatever settings you want to each user or group.. this will for instance be used to a few plugin settings for example.. such as the one you're asking for... until then, check out the file "loader.js" and make a switch on the user name for example, as a temporary fix..

Amish

02-06-2008 15:45:34

using this new alpha, ive done MINOR testing, theres nothing wrong with it, so far. I havn't used broadcasting though. But yeah.

Also I might have a way to implement, a version on the iphone if you want to hear?

~Amish

siit

02-06-2008 16:26:25

aah that's very interesting amish! post your suggestion in a separate thread related to a "portable skin" for vibe streamer 3, and we might be able to get some discussions going around it.

I've had an idea on how a "lightweight skin" could be created, with the same GUI/html code for all portable hardwares, but with different players depending on what hardware it's run at.. if this would be compatible with such an idea I'd be very interested to help out with the start for an implementation of such a skin, together with other interested developers.

The idea is to have a skin that in the end will work with WII, PSP, IPHONE, XBOX 360 etc..

Radon

02-06-2008 19:01:13

[quotee5378hmc] Confirmation whether the application runs fine on Windows Vista [/quotee5378hmc]

Confirming from my site - tested it on my laptop, but not to long, but worked fine.

Now I'm @ XP.

Nice work.

What I found

If you turn shuffle on (i know it doesnt work yet!) you can't press the button for next track, don't know if this is wanted and will just come, when shuffle fixed.

You can't press ENTER to start a search, you always have to click on "Search" (yes this is a real hard bug to fix P )

Tested with firefox. More will come, when I test better

siit

02-06-2008 20:58:25

[quote2gh4ur6q]If you turn shuffle on (i know it doesnt work yet!) you can't press the button for next track, don't know if this is wanted and will just come, when shuffle fixed.[/quote2gh4ur6q]

It's a "feature" related to the function not being implemented yet )

[quote2gh4ur6q]You can't press ENTER to start a search, you always have to click on "Search" (yes this is a real hard bug to fix Razz )[/quote2gh4ur6q]

Noted and will be fixed.

Radon

02-06-2008 21:41:00

Another small thing I found

If you double-click on a song in playlist, you can't read they font anymore, its too light (it is because it has a darker background etc. because its playing).

Ok, just wanted to say this, from now on, I'll wait until I have some more stuff P

Still nice work, I like it ^^

liorvh

02-06-2008 21:45:30

working great on vista64 ) great job siit, can't wait for the hotfixes..

Amish

02-06-2008 22:01:06

Right well. Major problem

My songs are index, I can see it in the share.xml. But they dont appear in the web UI

[quotenje09m0y] <directory name="Dial 'M' for Monkey" directories="0" files="9">
<file name="01-Noctuary.mp3" lastWrite="1209929750" size="7728694" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="322" sampleRate="44100" title="Noctuary" track="1" year="2003"/>
<file name="02-Flutter.mp3" lastWrite="1209929757" size="6815986" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="284" sampleRate="44100" title="Flutter" track="2" year="2003"/>
<file name="03-D Song.mp3" lastWrite="1209929764" size="7664216" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="319" sampleRate="44100" title="D Song" track="3" year="2003"/>
<file name="04-Change Down.mp3" lastWrite="1209929717" size="6546180" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="273" sampleRate="44100" title="Change Down" track="4" year="2003"/>
<file name="05-Wayward Bob.mp3" lastWrite="1209929736" size="6691412" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="279" sampleRate="44100" title="Wayward Bob" track="5" year="2003"/>
<file name="06-Pick Up.mp3" lastWrite="1209929678" size="5964626" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="248" sampleRate="44100" title="Pick Up" track="6" year="2003"/>
<file name="07-Something for Windy.mp3" lastWrite="1202250933" size="1710956" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="71" sampleRate="44100" title="Something for Windy" track="7" year="2003"/>
<file name="08-Nothing Owed.mp3" lastWrite="1209929692" size="9027018" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="376" sampleRate="44100" title="Nothing Owed" track="8" year="2003"/>
<file name="09-Light Pattern.mp3" lastWrite="1209929743" size="7529000" album="Dial &quot;M&quot; for Monkey" artist="Bonobo" bitRate="192" channels="2" comment="" genre="Electronica" length="314" sampleRate="44100" title="Light Pattern" track="9" year="2003"/>
</directory>[/quotenje09m0y]

[imgnje09m0y]http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2962/vibe3yf6.png[/imgnje09m0y]

Its just not there S I want my music P

~Amish

siit

02-06-2008 23:31:39

[quote197lcwo9]My songs are index, I can see it in the share.xml. But they dont appear in the web UI [/quote197lcwo9]

Hmmmmmm.. and after testing over here, it works just fine..
I'm wondering... where are you from? That is, what character set are your OS running? it could be that the libxml2 library is actually trying to match your locate.. which makes some things work over here (swedish locale), and maybe works different for others?

siit

02-06-2008 23:32:58

[quote2eo8q5p6]working great on vista64 Smile great job siit, can't wait for the hotfixes..[/quote2eo8q5p6]

Great news! thanks for update!

Amish

02-06-2008 23:37:37

I live in the UK.

My character set is like Western European (ISO) I think thats what it is. Not sure how to find out really S

siit

03-06-2008 00:13:09

[quote9tms2r1a]If you double-click on a song in playlist, you can't read they font anymore, its too light (it is because it has a darker background etc. because its playing). [/quote9tms2r1a]

Fixed - coming in alpha 4

siit

03-06-2008 09:37:14

Amish, do you have firebug installed for firefox? Of so, can you check what exact ajax request that is done when you click on the folder that doesn't want to display any items? (It should be a request to get-index-xml.vibe) And also, check what the result was from that ajax url.. either by checking the details in firebug or just pasting the ajax url manually in your browser and see what the result is.

Another thing you can try, is to rename another folder into something containing the ' character. And see if that folder gives you problems aswell.

gman

03-06-2008 13:39:07

I think the reason that people are experiencing search problems such as the person using the word "Love" is because he is only using one word. I know many search engines need at least 2 words to do a search. When I tried "love" alone I got nothing also. If I tried "love of" got many results. If I tried any one word search I got no results. So maybe the easy fix is for people just to use at least 2 words in their search. In my situation I am searching over 40,000 songs and once I used 2 words in every search it worked fine.

Amish

03-06-2008 16:16:09

Right. siit.

I've done testing in IE7 and FF2.0.0.something. And i've found the problem. The folder name has '' in them which is FINE. But the album name of each song contains quotes (""), and that is messing it up. I chnaged the album name and it works fine.

Im surprised you arn't encoding all quotes, slashes, symbols or anything, for song name or album names. If you do so, it might work.

Also i still cant seem to play some songs in IE7. The browser just dosnt want to play it. Its all related to that Object error I mentioned earlier. Line 63 Char 3. Object dosnt support this property or method. I think if thats fixed then everythign will be A ok D

Hope this helped. If you need anymore info. Ask away.

~Amish

kjparenteau

03-06-2008 16:42:07

[quote2mnequ0h]Also i still cant seem to play some songs in IE7. The browser just dosnt want to play it. Its all related to that Object error I mentioned earlier. Line 63 Char 3. Object dosnt support this property or method. I think if thats fixed then everythign will be A ok [/quote2mnequ0h]

I think I am having the same issue here. Seems to happen a lot with larger files. I have a lot of files that are 150 megs or more in size and they will work fine in the old version, but not in this version. I can post the specific error later tonight.

siit

03-06-2008 16:43:10

[quotewwt12q92]Im surprised you arn't encoding all quotes, slashes, symbols or anything, for song name or album names. If you do so, it might work. [/quotewwt12q92]

Well, I am encoding, both when indexing the XML and when sending url parameters... but I'm suprised the encoding is behaving differently on some computers.. it's quite hard to debug it on my enviroments when it's actually working fine.. but I found a track today that gave me problems.. so I'll dig into that one and see if I see a pattern...

Amish

03-06-2008 16:44:31

[quote34avahj6]Also i still cant seem to play some songs in IE7. The browser just dosnt want to play it. Its all related to that Object error I mentioned earlier. Line 63 Char 3. Object dosnt support this property or method. I think if thats fixed then everythign will be A ok [/quote34avahj6]

I think I am having the same issue here. Seems to happen a lot with larger files. I have a lot of files that are 150 megs or more in size and they will work fine in the old version, but not in this version. I can post the specific error later tonight.[/quote34avahj6]

Oh right. Yeah looks the same. I dont have any file as large but yeah. If i knew what that line did. I would look into it more. But I dont (

siit

03-06-2008 16:47:58

[quoteebuxu11g]I think I am having the same issue here. Seems to happen a lot with larger files. I have a lot of files that are 150 megs or more in size and they will work fine in the old version, but not in this version. I can post the specific error later tonight.[/quoteebuxu11g]

Good, the more info the better.. one thing you can do aswell is to shut down your server.. edit the "server.xml", and enabling debug logging, it doesn't give much info but at least it can give something..

you can enable debug logging by adding "debug" to the level in the logmanager tag..

that means.. the current value might be <level>info,warning</level>..
you simpy change it to <level>info,debug,warning</level>

I'm also interested in the filenames for those large files.. hopefully it's an encoding problem.. otherwise it might be adobe flash 9 that could be giving problems..

siit

03-06-2008 16:49:32

[quote10jbofcq]Oh right. Yeah looks the same. I dont have any file as large but yeah. If i knew what that line did. I would look into it more. But I dont Sad[/quote10jbofcq]

Is it always the same files for you aswell Amish? or is it just random?

Amish

03-06-2008 16:53:51

All I know so far is. SOMETIMES if I add to the playlist. And click play in the flash player. The flash player wont play. And doubeclicking induces the error.

Refreshing wont fix the problem, and the whole tab has to be shut and reopened, before it works again. Ill see what triggers this error properly if i can.

~Amish

kjparenteau

03-06-2008 16:55:11

[quotef0u48qxl]Oh right. Yeah looks the same. I dont have any file as large but yeah. If i knew what that line did. I would look into it more. But I dont [/quotef0u48qxl]

It doesn't seem to do anything other than crash the addin module for the flash player. Doesn't seem to crash anything else other than the player integration for the browser. Maybe its a buffer limitation built into the flash player and can be made to be ignored? Not sure either... *shrug*

siit

03-06-2008 16:58:16

does the flash player report "audio failed"?

Amish

03-06-2008 16:59:02

siit what is line 63?

I swear thats the root of all the problems S

kjparenteau

03-06-2008 17:01:03

[quote2f1ok56d]All I know so far is. SOMETIMES if I add to the playlist. And click play in the flash player. The flash player wont play. And doubeclicking induces the error.

Refreshing wont fix the problem, and the whole tab has to be shut and reopened, before it works again. Ill see what triggers this error properly if i can.[/quote2f1ok56d]

For me I was on the LAN when I tried this, and haven't yet been able to try via remote, however it start playing just fine and would buffer a good portion (about 2/3) through the file before it crashed. It crashed pretty much at the same location each time so my guess is its some kind of issue with flash 9.

I will enable the logging and do some more testing tonight and see what I can come up with.

siit

03-06-2008 17:01:21

I need the filename aswell... I've seen that error aswell but never had any problems with it.. and since it's always been line 63, and I'm constantly doing code refactoring, I'm wondering if the error might be in the extjs source /

Amish

03-06-2008 17:01:45

Im on the lan too. Using 127.0.0.1. so yeah /

siit

03-06-2008 17:04:26

kjparenteau when you say crash.. do you mean that your entire browser crashes?

kjparenteau

03-06-2008 17:07:58

[quote12q9kk5v]I need the filename aswell... I've seen that error aswell but never had any problems with it.. and since it's always been line 63, and I'm constantly doing code refactoring, I'm wondering if the error might be in the extjs source /[/quote12q9kk5v]

I believe it happened to all files I tried. Normal sizes like 5-10 megs seemed to work just fine, but for one of the larger ones as an example, here's the file name of one that I know crashed out...

[code12q9kk5v]Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance 322 (DI.FM) (2007-10-18)-RcH.mp3[/code12q9kk5v]

kjparenteau

03-06-2008 17:12:54

[quote39pnc85v]kjparenteau when you say crash.. do you mean that your entire browser crashes?[/quote39pnc85v]

No. Just the flash plugin for the browser (IE7). I just tried on IE7 to the server itself and locally it doesn't have the problem on that same file... But that's Server 2003 and the machine I was using across the LAN was XP... Won't be able to retest again till later tonight on that machine.

kjparenteau

04-06-2008 03:39:44

Ok Siit... Here's the errors that are displaying...
I'll try to get more from the logs later or tomorrow possibly.

[img6av8p12k]http://files.selfip.com/img/vibestreamer/flasherror.png[/img6av8p12k]

[img6av8p12k]http://files.selfip.com/img/vibestreamer/ieerror.png[/img6av8p12k]

siit

04-06-2008 09:37:03

hmm.. yea I'll probably need more info.. or get ahold of that track you're trying to play to see if I experience the same... right now it feels like something related to a possible problem with flash 9.

kjparenteau

04-06-2008 18:00:40

[quotewh5n9d3k]hmm.. yea I'll probably need more info.. or get ahold of that track you're trying to play to see if I experience the same... right now it feels like something related to a possible problem with flash 9.[/quotewh5n9d3k]
Siit - I sent you a PM so let me know what you find out with that. I haven't had a chance to look into things as much as I've wanted due to moving, but I'm totally jazzed about this new version so I want to do what I can to help see it up and running ASAP! lol

siit

05-06-2008 12:10:39

Amish, regarding that folder that you couldn't open.
Try this

Close the application, edit share.xml .. replace any ' character with &apos;
Start the application, make sure it doesn't reindex.. then try out the folder that didn't work.

//siit

Amish

05-06-2008 20:21:22

Nope. Nothing. Sorry (

MockY

06-06-2008 08:01:13

I have not bugs to report, I just want to tell you siit how awesome the new version is. A fantastic job dude and I am sooooo stoked to try it out on my current collection of 103000 songs (600GB) once all the features are implemented and final release sees the light of day. Till then, I'll test it out with a smaller collection in order to find bugs (if they're there).
I am blown away so far. Thank you all involved so much for this wonderful product. You truly rock!

siit

06-06-2008 12:15:46

thank you, i truly appreciate your kind words )

siit

10-06-2008 00:42:07

Alpha 4 is now out. This version includes a few bugfixes, code refactoring of the standard skin and some general fine tunings.

New features are also that shuffle now is implemented aswell as album covers now being displayed in the track information. The album covers are found by having either a cover.jpg, folder.jpg or album.jpg in the same directory as the track was found. For now, this can be configured only by modifying the javascript code for the trackinformation addon. Fetching cover images from ID3 data won't be supported by the standard skin.

ifloydian

10-06-2008 02:18:11

A4 is working great. All the searches I tested with are working(tested ' too).

I see you allowed using tab when adding a user.

So since we got through the &apos; issues I'm ready to test some more - like playlists wink ..ummmm yummmm..

Also I like the idea of increasing the size of the search icon wink and being able to press ENTER to execute the search.

Thanks again.....and bring it on.

(since you're too far away to buy you a drink I guess I'll have to paypal you!)

siit

10-06-2008 09:35:56

good thing it works D

aye, minor adjustments such as larger search icon etc, are coming.. but it's easier to know how to place them when there's more functionality in place.. I gotta focus a bit now on the major features (if this alpha is bug-free enough) , such as playlists, broadcasting and transcoding...

so if you're interested in the playlists.. check out the thread in "open discussions" to discuss how the playlist support should be implemented.

ccbrixDK

10-06-2008 10:07:38

Hi siit,

First thanks for the greatest software on earth.
I found a small error in the track progress slider
[imguwsw0b2x]http://ccbrix.dk/filer/top.jpg[/imguwsw0b2x]

The slider is flickering left and right.

I have tried on both XP and VISTA and also IE 7 and Firefox 3

plam40

10-06-2008 13:28:06

Hi siit, I've been waiting as all the rest of us for that event - the Vibe Streamer v 3.0 ! Many, many thanks !!!

Now just wanted to let you know that the main page of the vibestreamer.com gives an error.

Also the Download link for the alpha version is not working too !!!

I hope I was helpfull and everything is going to be ok!

siit you are great !!!!

Plamen

siit

10-06-2008 14:01:29

Hi!

It seems that my webhost is having a few problems.. Hopefully it should be up and running soon.

edit removed the error message from your post since I'm not to fond of displaying site errors in the forum.

//siit

Radon

10-06-2008 22:19:54

Hi...

Alpha 4 is great, finally shuffle - all I need is there now ^^

Only one little thing you maybe forgot about:

you still cant confirm with "enter" when you want to start a search P

siit

10-06-2008 22:53:06

it's coming, I promise )

MockY

11-06-2008 00:42:48

Don't know if someone already asked this, but will there be a way to transfer the current playlists to version 3?

Radon

11-06-2008 09:16:40

Hi siit,

First thanks for the greatest software on earth.
I found a small error in the track progress slider
[img51dkjqnv]http://ccbrix.dk/filer/top.jpg[/img51dkjqnv]

The slider is flickering left and right.

I have tried on both XP and VISTA and also IE 7 and Firefox 3[/quote51dkjqnv]

Same Problem here, i can say something other to this

When I start Vibe Streamer from my LAN (so its local and VERY FAST) the progress bar works perfect.

When I start from an remote system (lets say from work), then I have only my normal Upload from my home (what is 500kbit), i can listen without any stocking or something, but the progressbar is buggy.

The loading thing (Number 1 in picture) is working fine. But number 2, jumps right at the start in the "middle" of the track (its still play normally), you can still use it, but the position is alway wrong.

edit
when the current track is fully loaded, it seems like "Number 2" works! That means its on the right position then.

[img51dkjqnv]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5459/errorwu1.jpg[/img51dkjqnv]

If you dont have this prolbem siit, you can also try it @ my player, if you want I'll give you address + user via PN. Greets

hehe i guess when the thing with the player is fixed, its soon time for the first beta ;)

markwod

11-06-2008 15:47:59

Loving the alpha release - any chance we could have a column for the Album Name as well in the playlist?

Thanks

Mark

siit

11-06-2008 16:05:36

more columns mean more to render and that might not be the best for slow computers.. but it's quite easy to add it yourself.. I might add it as a configuration property or something, until then it will have to be added yourself.. check out the desktop.js..

siit

11-06-2008 16:06:31

thanks for the bug reports on the player... i'm aware of this and will make a fix for it.. i'm just not too fond of coding flash D

Guillaume

11-06-2008 17:28:08

Any way to start this baby minimized to tray without losing the possibility of opening up the window at all (as seems to be the case when creating a shortcut to vibestreamer.exe with the option 'minimized')?

markwod

11-06-2008 20:03:40

Thanks for the direction siit - easy mod! )

MockY

11-06-2008 20:25:56

Are there any plans in the future to enhance the track information section? It is fine the way it is right now, as in more information is not necessary.
But a sweet feature would be if information about the band, such as bio or current and past band members, could be displayed (pulled from wikipedia or from a txt file in the directory).
A very unnecessary feature however. I was more curious about the plans for the track information section.

Amish

11-06-2008 20:57:17

Im sure that can be added in on the addons. P

Ermm administration panel?

markwod

12-06-2008 12:29:13

Just found a small quirk - if playing the first track in the play list, then click back up 1 track i.e. the |< button, the track continues to play.

I would expect it to go to the start of that track

siit

12-06-2008 14:21:30

hm.. maybe.. i kinda made it like i rememebered the vibe streamer 2 player does it..can anyone test how winamp acts?

siit

12-06-2008 14:24:38

[quote1dcabxx4]Any way to start this baby minimized to tray without losing the possibility of opening up the window at all (as seems to be the case when creating a shortcut to vibestreamer.exe with the option 'minimized')[/quote1dcabxx4]

Adding this is a "general" or "advanced" setting... whichever i decide )

ccbrixDK

12-06-2008 14:24:39

hm.. maybe.. i kinda made it like i rememebered the vibe streamer 2 player does it..can anyone test how winamp acts?[/quotetkd0w0nu]

Winamp goes to previous track!

-) Carsten Brix

siit

12-06-2008 14:25:06

well.. but if it's the first track, then there is no previous track..

siit

12-06-2008 14:27:01

[quote2l3zabde]administration panel?[/quote2l3zabde]

Very possible to build.. but there's no time for it at the moment.. but nothing is now in the way from implementing in the future.. in other words, a new rewrite won't be required.. and this is something I want to have myself, so it's probably coming some time )

ccbrixDK

12-06-2008 14:33:22

well.. but if it's the first track, then there is no previous track..[/quote3hdx3wel]

Winamp v5.531 Nothing happens

-) Carsten Brix

dennus2008

12-06-2008 17:06:48

well.. but if it's the first track, then there is no previous track..[/quote1g0tq6pz]

Winamp v5.531 Nothing happens

-) Carsten Brix[/quote1g0tq6pz]

What can you do with winamp?
Listen to the streams?

kjparenteau

12-06-2008 17:25:04

Been a Winamp user for MANY years, and every version since 1.0 has always done nothing at all when pressing back / previous track when playing the first track in the playlist since there is no "previous track".

[quote14kkku6d]What can you do with winamp?
Listen to the streams?[/quote14kkku6d]
Winamp can play any local media such as anything from a CD, Ipod, Mp3, or whatever you want, as well as streaming content from other sources. As far as any integration with Vibe, I don't believe there's any way as of yet, but doesn't mean it can't be done either, just need to see what happens in time. That is a feature I would love to see as an addon down the road.

geo

12-06-2008 17:54:08

[b19sn4opb]siit[/b19sn4opb]

Great job!!!!!!!!

Please, provide a link where is it possible to download Alpha 4

Amish

12-06-2008 18:10:35

http//www.vibestreamer.com/download_alpha.php

Check the first post for updates.

Amish

12-06-2008 19:43:27

Hey could you extend the volume bar, bit small and restricted right now P

Has things like, pre-loading and customisable colours and stuff for the flashplayer been introduced yet?

kjparenteau

12-06-2008 20:27:12

[quoteavat11y7]Has things like, pre-loading and customisable colours and stuff for the flashplayer been introduced yet?[/quoteavat11y7]
Good call on this! Definitely would be a neat feature.

siit

12-06-2008 23:42:29

[quote3n5csfdw]Has things like, pre-loading and customisable colours and stuff for the flashplayer been introduced yet?[/quote3n5csfdw]

Nothing like that has yet been introduced yet.. this is probably because my flash skins are quite limited and I can't say that coding it makes me very exceited either ) so if anyone's up for it, just gimme a tell, cause it would be a nice addition.

kjparenteau

12-06-2008 23:53:59

[quote30jjn378]Has things like, pre-loading and customisable colours and stuff for the flashplayer been introduced yet?[/quote30jjn378]
I don't know if this might help or not, but I have played around with a web app a while back called Flam Player to play mp3's on a website, and this particular program does have different colors built in, but not sure how / if this can help in that area... But it might spring a few different ideas...

[b30jjn378]Flam Player[/b30jjn378]
[url30jjn378]http://www.flamplayer.com/[/url30jjn378]

mc_866

13-06-2008 17:10:17

Awesome, just started testing today but so far so good....... THANKS!!!!!!

mrbrownskie

14-06-2008 05:35:46

siit,

thanks so much for this. i've tried every mp3 server on the planet and this is the only one that really really works for me. nothing else can handle a large collection.

can't wait for playlists and the other cool features you're building into 3.0. the alpha 4 is already working really smoothly. loving the drag & drop.

you rock.

-mr b

Chronic

15-06-2008 10:38:37

I'll start by saying how impressed I am with this little piece of software and how stable and bug-free it is even though it's only in alpha-stage! shock

Now, a few bugs(?), hehe
When playing a tune, in the Track Information, why does it only show Title, Artist, and Album? Where's Track No and Year? Looking at some of the code, it looks like at least Year should be showing up but it just isn't.
To be honest, Track No isn't that important in that pane but I think it's a must to have it in the playlist section so you can sort by it. And while I'm on the subject of sorting, why is it disabled in the code? I enabled it and it seems to work just fine. )

Other than those, my only gripe is with the logout and search buttons not having text. Took me ages to find the search button, haha. D

kjparenteau

17-06-2008 17:47:42

[u2an2upbz][b2an2upbz]Suggestions / Bug Fixes[/b2an2upbz][/u2an2upbz]
Just a few things I've run across in testing / usage that I think might be worth looking into for a future release, but so far so good otherwise!!!

[b2an2upbz][u2an2upbz]Player[/u2an2upbz][/b2an2upbz][list2an2upbz][b2an2upbz]- Progress Bar[/b2an2upbz] Currently shifts around during buffering. Should be static to where the actual progress is within the track.
[b2an2upbz]- Volume Slider[/b2an2upbz] Is it possible to increase the width?[/listu2an2upbz]
[u2an2upbz][b2an2upbz]General[/b2an2upbz][/u2an2upbz][list2an2upbz][b2an2upbz]- Buttons[/b2an2upbz] Search, Logout, Clear All, Remove, etc... All buttons should have hover / mouseover effects such as alt text for the logout and search buttons if no labels, or labels should be added next to them. Any button should have a hover effect to show what is being selected. Something like where it does it for "Artist Name / Song Name" in the playlist.
[b2an2upbz]- Skin[/b2an2upbz] Would there be any way to make a duplicate of the default skin but using a darker / slate looking theme and include that in the standard release package? Or perhaps even have a user selectable option from within the web version of vibe to choose different themes on the fly without having to change it in the server? So if I add a new custom theme, it would automatically show in a drop down list for the user to be able to change it on the fly by simply reloading the page.[/listu2an2upbz]
[u2an2upbz][b2an2upbz]Navigation / Script[/b2an2upbz][/u2an2upbz][list2an2upbz]The following error appears when clicking on a different folder while its already attempting to load a different folder. Is there any way to make it when you select a new folder while vibe is already working on pulling a folder list, to have it cancel the previous request? Or is there some other way of avoiding this error and huge decrease in performance until the scripts finish running?
[img2an2upbz]http://files.selfip.com/img/vibestreamer/script_error.png[/img2an2upbz][/listu2an2upbz]

mc_866

18-06-2008 22:30:43

I have an issue, not sure if anyone else has run into this, I can't seem to get mp3's with a bit rate over 300 KB to play, the file loads and buffers but I don't hear anything?

Also what is the criteria to get the album art to show up? I'm working on embedding it into all my files but those don't seem to show up. Only the folders with a jpg in them seem to display.

markwod

19-06-2008 13:58:00

Chronic - if you want more track details you can add them in the desktop.js file

Mark

siit

19-06-2008 14:06:20

[quote1yw4xhsb]I have an issue, not sure if anyone else has run into this, I can't seem to get mp3's with a bit rate over 300 KB to play, the file loads and buffers but I don't hear anything?[/quote1yw4xhsb]

I've seen similar problems, and they're most likely a adobe flash problem. You might want to try them out in the new flash 10 beta.

[quote1yw4xhsb]Also what is the criteria to get the album art to show up? I'm working on embedding it into all my files but those don't seem to show up. Only the folders with a jpg in them seem to display.[/quote1yw4xhsb]

Album art is displayed on the criteria of having any of the following files in th folder folder.jpg, cover.jpg or album.jpg .. this can be modified in /addons/vibestreamer/addons.js .. wildcards are supported.

Since the library I use for fetching the id3 data doesn't support fetching images from the tags, this won't be supported for a while.. might be in a future update.

gralov

19-06-2008 14:07:10

Hi, i've encountered that vibestreamer 3 crash in windows 2008 enterprise, i can't tell if it has anything to do with my settings.

here's the error message from the event viewer

Event ID 1000
Task category 100

Faulting application vibestreamer.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x484daec8, faulting module tag.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x47f4ceb9, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001fbf2, process id 0xcdc, application start time 0x01c8d1f3d343465e.

siit

19-06-2008 14:12:25

[quote1syql2qe]Hi, i've encountered that vibestreamer 3 crash in windows 2008 enterprise, i can't tell if it has anything to do with my settings. [/quote1syql2qe]

From that it seems that the "taglib" library is crashing in windows 2008.. shutdown the server, edit conf/server.xml and in the metadatareader configuration, remove the filepattern *.mp3 and *.ogg so it's just empty.. then the tagreader should leave it alone.. re-index and see if it works now (although you'll get no id3 data..) .. but just for a test..

I have no real possibility to try it out in windows 2008 myself, and it's not really high priority, but if we can narrow down the probelm, it's always something worth looking at..

mc_866

19-06-2008 17:18:21

[quotevuntffmd]I have an issue, not sure if anyone else has run into this, I can't seem to get mp3's with a bit rate over 300 KB to play, the file loads and buffers but I don't hear anything?[/quotevuntffmd]

I've seen similar problems, and they're most likely a adobe flash problem. You might want to try them out in the new flash 10 beta.

[quotevuntffmd]Also what is the criteria to get the album art to show up? I'm working on embedding it into all my files but those don't seem to show up. Only the folders with a jpg in them seem to display.[/quotevuntffmd]

Album art is displayed on the criteria of having any of the following files in th folder folder.jpg, cover.jpg or album.jpg .. this can be modified in /addons/vibestreamer/addons.js .. wildcards are supported.

Since the library I use for fetching the id3 data doesn't support fetching images from the tags, this won't be supported for a while.. might be in a future update.[/quotevuntffmd]

Hmm I've updated to the latest flash 10 beta version and I still seem to have the same problem

Thanks for the info on the album art

Chronic

19-06-2008 17:56:59

Chronic - if you want more track details you can add them in the desktop.js file

Mark[/quote2898w4oj]
Thanks for the incredibly detailed and helpful reply... [end sarcasm]

gordho

19-06-2008 21:13:58

Thanks so much for the new version, works great! This might be architecturally impossible but how about a way to shuffle all of the tracks in your index with out having to add all the files to the playlist? I guess this is what saved playlists are for but what about when you add new music to the index? You have to create or update that playlist right? Eh, I guess I am just a lazy bastard.

Any way to have the album art display if the file name is "Artist - Album.jpg"? I usually place all the mp3's from a single artist in one folder and the only way to have distinct album art this way is to have a more specific name for the jpg.

I added an "Album" column to the playlist by modifying desktop.js but the text is not always aligned. Also, can you add a genre column?

Love the work you have done so far, keep it up.

gordho

19-06-2008 21:18:12

Mark[/quote8xzthzdt]
Thanks for the incredibly detailed and helpful reply... [end sarcasm][/quote8xzthzdt]

In desktop.js search for this

[code8xzthzdt]"Artist Name", width: 200, sortable: false, dataIndex: "artist" }[/code8xzthzdt]

This is the block of code where you add other fields. If you wanted an album name column then you would add

[code8xzthzdt]{ header: "Album", width: 200, sortable: false, dataIndex: "album" },[/code8xzthzdt]

sim0n

22-06-2008 18:42:01

Bug Cant add folders with a large amount of songs, (like 20 000+). Nothing happens.

For example,

..\MP3\archive <- contains ALL the songs, cant drag n drop this folder to playlist, doesnt load anything, nothing happens.

..\MP3\archive\misc <- this folder works to drag n drop, tho only like 900 songs or something

gabbe

23-06-2008 09:29:38

its impossible to download why?

Yukiko

23-06-2008 09:38:56

From post by Siit on June 10
[quote2x0qlpar]Hi!

It seems that my webhost is having a few problems.. Hopefully it should be up and running soon. [/quote2x0qlpar]

I hope it gets resolved soon cause I want the a4 version too.

siit

23-06-2008 09:38:57

Because my webhost seem to make a lot of errors recently.. will look it up...

siit

23-06-2008 12:22:21

[quote2ed3y9iz]Bug Cant add folders with a large amount of songs, (like 20 000+). Nothing happens. [/quote2ed3y9iz]

You're planning to have one busy day of listening to 20.000 songs in a row? ) I actually haven't tried working with such a huge amount of songs in an active playlist, so can't really tell if it's supported or not.. but I guess your browser will go nuts having to create and render 300.000+ html elements..

bschwarz6

23-06-2008 18:58:59

wow ... first, let me say that v3 is a MASSIVE improvement over an already incredible v2. I have one small bug and a question, however.

First, the small bug (i think someone already pointed this out) is that the player progress bar seems to be calculating based on the amount downloaded (buffered) rather than the total length of the song. related to this bug, the buffer bar (green bar) doesnt appear to move if the song is paused (but i assume that the track is still buffering).

Now, my question is Is it possible to search by file date? If so, would it be possible to save a search criteria within an icon? like search.js?date>1/1/07 type of a thing?

again ... thank you so much for all of your efforts, you have really brought a lot of people joy, happiness (AND MUSIC!!) during their boring workweeks.

gralov

24-06-2008 08:34:01

[quote2xxe9fke]Hi, i've encountered that vibestreamer 3 crash in windows 2008 enterprise, i can't tell if it has anything to do with my settings. [/quote2xxe9fke]

From that it seems that the "taglib" library is crashing in windows 2008.. shutdown the server, edit conf/server.xml and in the metadatareader configuration, remove the filepattern *.mp3 and *.ogg so it's just empty.. then the tagreader should leave it alone.. re-index and see if it works now (although you'll get no id3 data..) .. but just for a test..

I have no real possibility to try it out in windows 2008 myself, and it's not really high priority, but if we can narrow down the probelm, it's always something worth looking at..[/quote2xxe9fke]

It seems like it helped, thanks

siit

24-06-2008 10:44:04

ok good.. although I now have to find out why the taglib library crashes .. I'll look into it...

Carbon

24-06-2008 15:52:01

Basic functions tested in Linux, Ubuntu hardy (kubuntu) with wine-0.9.59 and firefox 2.0.0.14.
Works without a flaw.
Installation instructions are basicly the same as with erlier versions.
Short
- Install wine, firefox and whatever you need to get sound from the flashplugin.
- Install vibestreamer, run it, configure users and share, reindex and hit start.

Good work siit![/quote2n1p1szo]

I'm running Vibe Streamer 3.0.0alpha4 in Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with Wine 0.9.46.

This might be Ubuntu related problem but I noticed that Vibe Streamer didn't list my shares if I have the full directory path in the "Virtual name" section. Shared directory was listed (e.g. z\media\Mobile\mp3) but clicking it didn't list the files or directories inside it. When I changed the "Virtual name" to something else (e.g. MP3) everything seems to be working fine.

Otherwise excellent work siit! Can't wait to test the next version!

siit

24-06-2008 16:09:09

[quote3jforwzz]This might be Ubuntu related problem but I noticed that Vibe Streamer didn't list my shares if I have the full directory path in the "Virtual name" section. Shared directory was listed (e.g. z\media\Mobile\mp3) but clicking it didn't list the files or directories[/quote3jforwzz]

Yea that's not a valid name for a share, and wine doesn't make the app suggest the shared folder name as the virtual name, as it does when running on windows.. A solution for it is that I simply check that the virtual name is valid before saving.. until then, stick to a virtual name that would be valid for a folder in your os.

deeoo

25-06-2008 08:12:45

The new alpha handles large amounts worse than 2.03. I had to cancel before I'd been able to listen to anything.

[img1qidxnmk]http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9969/screenshot001uz7.jpg[/img1qidxnmk]

siit

25-06-2008 08:57:36

[quote3cvv0hq8]The new alpha handles large amounts worse than 2.03. I had to cancel before I'd been able to listen to anything. [/quote3cvv0hq8]

Drag/drop and all new features makes things slower for sure. The solution for this is to make the old standard skin work with the new engine, for those with huge amounts of folders. Another solution would be to find a way of browsing differently for those with lots of folders..

What browser are you using? How many folders exactly are there right under your shared folder?

hejje

25-06-2008 09:29:50

first of all i really want to thank you, siit, for a wonderful piece of web ware!

my problem with the alfa, witch i donŽt have with 2.06, is that it canŽt handle large amounts of files. i have quite a big library, 2.8 tb - 575 000 songs, and the application crashes during the indexing process.

siit

25-06-2008 09:34:19

[quotefnx4uyp3]first of all i really want to thank you, siit, for a wonderful piece of web ware!

my problem with the alfa, witch i donŽt have with 2.06, is that it canŽt handle large amounts of files. i have quite a big library, 2.8 tb - 575 000 songs, and the application crashes during the indexing process.[/quotefnx4uyp3]

hmm.. hard for me to say what's wrong really, some of the testers have had similar size of music and it's worked without problems.. is it multiple shares that have these sizes alltogether or is it just one single huge share?

If it's multiple shares, can you try adding and indexing one at a time and see if there is any specific share that crashes? You can also check out the indexing status and see about where it crashes.. is it the same place each time? If that doesn't work I'll have to add some debug information about this and send you a version where you can trace exactly where it crashes for you..

siit

25-06-2008 10:15:12

A note regarding lots of folders... One solution would be to add paging to the treview, that might solve it for those with loads of folders to browse.... that is, showing max 500 items or so for each page.. I'll play around with it and see what's possible..

I'm currently working on the browsing part of the skin anyways, and this is high priority according to me..

liorvh

25-06-2008 10:16:58

Hi All,
i was happy that everything works great on my machine...
but i forgot to look at the process monitor... )

i have more then 850gigs of music and it takes almost 500mg to run this server. hope it can be fixed.

meantime i'm going back to 2.06.

Thanks for everything Siit.

[img1n1hj74b]http://www.marokanski.info/images/vibe.jpg[/img1n1hj74b]

siit

25-06-2008 10:31:57

how large is your shared folder structure? in my case, about 100gb of music takes 50mb in ram.. so you've to have quite a collection?

the reason for the memory consumption is that a lot needs to be kept in memory for quicker search through the index.. although I think it should be possible to improve it a lot, i'll put it on the todo list..

Radon

25-06-2008 22:56:26

how large is your shared folder structure? in my case, about 100gb of music takes 50mb in ram.. so you've to have quite a collection?

the reason for the memory consumption is that a lot needs to be kept in memory for quicker search through the index.. although I think it should be possible to improve it a lot, i'll put it on the todo list..[/quote1v6xqm8x]

But it seems like he has Vista (maybe even 64bit! I'm not sure if this "x32" is normally shown in a 32 bit OS).

Maybe the Vista or the 64bit, if its one, is the problem.

edit

just looked up in a former post, he has vista x 64

kjparenteau

26-06-2008 05:37:37

[quote94yxslbu]Maybe the Vista or the 64bit, if its one, is the problem.[/quote94yxslbu]
Vista in general isn't anywhere near refined enough, not saying its horrible, but XP / Server 2003 would be ideal target installs for Vibe in my opinion. Very refined operating systems. 64 bit systems from my understanding use quite a bit more memory, however can potentially run faster provided you have enough of it. Its a bit of a tradeoff really. If you have the memory to support 64 bit, then great, but can be a problem otherwise. Just a thought / opinion based on personal experience.

siit

26-06-2008 09:24:32

thanks for the info.. vista might give some unexperienced problems, although I've played around with it myself there and it seems to work fine..

I actually believe that the memory usage for the indexer can be improved quite a lot if I just dig into it.. which I intend to ..so it's on my todo list )

siit

26-06-2008 09:31:57

As a quick notice on what's going on for those interested

I'm currently doing a lot of modifications to the standard skin. I'm not really satisfied with the performance and I need to get some things straightened out in order to get it perfect. I've done some testing with a buffered grid that actually only renders the grid items you're seeing and keeping the rest in a memory buffer, and this really makes a HUGE change.. I can easily browse through 20.000 folders and also resize the window without any problems, so I think this is the way I'll go.

This requires a lot of rewriting of the browsing functions in the skin, but it'll be worth it for sure...

I'm also thinking about removing the browsing functionality in the left treepanel and only showing the shares and the search function there. The reason for this is both for performance aswell as usability, I think it's a better approach for web-based browsing.. The right treepanel will be improved with a breadcrumb/location navigation.. kinda like nautlius in ubuntu..

Anyways.. I'm currently just playing around with this and when I'm satisfied I'll have a new alpha for you ready.

kjparenteau

26-06-2008 16:58:56

Excellent!!! Keep up the great work Siit!!! D

bschwarz6

26-06-2008 22:33:23

just for comparison to the posts above ... i am running W2k3 with just over 270GB of music and the alpha (a4) is using just over 135MB of "Memory"

sim0n

26-06-2008 23:14:56

very nice news siit! =D

another thing, a suggestion maybe(?). When the playlist function is done, I suggest a solution to create a playlist on the local computer. I mean to make it possible to create a playlist from the vibestreamer server program.

This might be good when havin big collections, I dont care if it takes 1 day for the computer to create the filelist, a onetime loadtime then its done, no long loadingtimes everytime accessing it from the web ;D

Well, hope you get my point, its better to do that localy than over the web )

Radon

26-06-2008 23:26:43

[quote2xwbq91v]

PostPosted Thu Jun 26, 2008 831 am Post subject Reply with quote
I'm also thinking about removing the browsing functionality in the left treepanel and only showing the shares and the search function there[/quote2xwbq91v]

erm what does this mean exatcly, the "tree hiearchy browsing" is actually one of the main reasons why I use vibe, because theres nothing like that in another streamer i know.... or what do you mean?

siit

27-06-2008 10:28:56

[quote3nvw7fp0]erm what does this mean exatcly, the "tree hiearchy browsing" is actually one of the main reasons why I use vibe, because theres nothing like that in another streamer i know.... or what do you mean?[/quote3nvw7fp0]

By that I mean that the left tree panel will only show the virtual share folders, and not be "browsable" in that panel,.. think of it as you could only click the top folder in the left tree panel, but not be able to expand it in that panel.. all browsing will be done in the right panel, with the addition of a location/breadcrumb bar.. the good things that come out of this is a huge performance difference, support for multiple columns when listing files (that is, showing "last modified" .. and more), sortable columns (yep, it should be possible now to sort the files in date order, name order.. etc)..

siit

27-06-2008 13:24:59

Please note that this are ideas I'm thinking about a lot at the moment and nothing is 100% certain.. I'll make sure it ends up well in the end )

kjparenteau

27-06-2008 16:57:29

[quote3joxbat3]By that I mean that the left tree panel will only show the virtual share folders, and not be "browsable" in that panel,.. think of it as you could only click the top folder in the left tree panel, but not be able to expand it in that panel.. all browsing will be done in the right panel, with the addition of a location/breadcrumb bar.. the good things that come out of this is a huge performance difference, support for multiple columns when listing files (that is, showing "last modified" .. and more), sortable columns (yep, it should be possible now to sort the files in date order, name order.. etc)..
[/quote3joxbat3]
I have to agree with you Siit about the performance gains this can create, especially for those with the larger collections. This in combination with the users setting up more individual shares will greatly increase performance and allow for significantly less load times.

Radon

27-06-2008 17:23:46

[quote1i73w6q2]erm what does this mean exatcly, the "tree hiearchy browsing" is actually one of the main reasons why I use vibe, because theres nothing like that in another streamer i know.... or what do you mean?[/quote1i73w6q2]

By that I mean that the left tree panel will only show the virtual share folders, and not be "browsable" in that panel,.. think of it as you could only click the top folder in the left tree panel, but not be able to expand it in that panel.. all browsing will be done in the right panel, with the addition of a location/breadcrumb bar.. the good things that come out of this is a huge performance difference, support for multiple columns when listing files (that is, showing "last modified" .. and more), sortable columns (yep, it should be possible now to sort the files in date order, name order.. etc)..[/quote1i73w6q2]

ok...i dont care about my performance, since i have only about 30gig music, so please do not remove this, i like this a lot, if you want remove it, could you do it with an option in the admin panel? that would ben ice

siit

27-06-2008 22:51:20

[quote3bzpn8nq]ok...i dont care about my performance, since i have only about 30gig music, so please do not remove this, i like this a lot, if you want remove it, could you do it with an option in the admin panel? that would ben ice[/quote3bzpn8nq]

As I said earlier, nothing is decided yet, but whatever is done it will be for the better. I think it's easier to see whether if it's good or not when you've tried it yourself..

In anyway, you'll see it will end up good in the end whatever happens.. I'm just trying to make the product well enough for everyone's requirements, and that makes it important to think things like these through..

kjparenteau

28-06-2008 08:18:05

Remember that right now the ultimate goal in mind is to get the most solid / stable version up and going of the core part of the software. From that work can be done with addons, tweaks, and skins or whatever to achieve more specific goals later on.

This is only an alpha release at this point remember. D

Yukiko

28-06-2008 12:45:17

Just to throw my two Ningies in here, I like the tree browsing in the left pane. If that is removed in the default skin is it possible someone could recreate it in an alternate skin for those of us who like it?

Either way, I'm sure we'll get used to it not being there if it goes away but I like it.

Thanks Siit for the hard work.

siit

28-06-2008 14:28:23

I'm currently working on trying to keep the left tree, since I kinda like it myself.. but it's quite a lot of work, but so far it seems doable.. I'll keep you posted..

Bassmus

29-06-2008 00:02:53

Vibestreamer installs fine in Ubuntu 8.04 via Wine, and I can share and index folders both on Linux file system and Windows NTFS file system. But when accessing Vibestreamer via Firefox 3, the two shares come up but with no contents (se attatchment).

The two shared folders are "Z\home\ojohnsen\Music" and "Z\media\New Volume\Musikk".

[img2b0h1vw2]http://www.oysteinjohnsen.net/filer/vibestreamer_screenshot.jpg[/img2b0h1vw2]

Bassmus

29-06-2008 00:09:28

By the way, thanks for a great program! Before Vibestreamer I had been looking for such a program for a long time! And if I can get it running under Ubuntu, it'd be just perfect! )

siit

29-06-2008 12:34:50

Hi, I run it on Ubuntu 8.04 myself, so it does work.

Try changing the name of your share to something simpler .. now it's called Z and I don't think that's a valid name.. Try just calling em "Music1" and "Music2" or so.. maybe that's the problem.

Bassmus

29-06-2008 19:09:35

Hi, I run it on Ubuntu 8.04 myself, so it does work.

Try changing the name of your share to something simpler .. now it's called Z and I don't think that's a valid name.. Try just calling em "Music1" and "Music2" or so.. maybe that's the problem.[/quote3r5f8v81]
What do you mean? Change the folder structure or the drive name (Z)?

What do you think is the problem? That the folder path is Zblahblahblah, or that the folder structure is too complex (contain spaces, etc.)?

Bassmus

29-06-2008 19:21:01

Situation update I've just mapped the D partition in Wine to the folder under Media being D under Windows XP. Furthermore, I shared the D\Musikk folder, and made sure that everyone can access it under Permissions. But still it contains no media when I access the servier via the web browser. ?

Just to be sure, is there anything other than starting the server, creating the user and sharing the folder with permission to be accessed by everyone, that I have to do to get Vibestreamer to work? I've looked through all the menus, and I couldn't find a "If you don't check this box, nothing works" option anywhere. )

siit

29-06-2008 20:19:07

I mean that the virtual name (that you select when adding your share in the administration gui) gets the default name "Zyadayadayada" .. while it should be a win32 valid name, such as "Music", or whatever not containing a colon character. Wine is messing up the default name suggestion for virtual names when adding new shares,.. while windows for example, suggests to call the virtual share "MP3" when I try to add a share located at c\mystuff\mp3..

Other things you can check are Have you indexed the share? (right-click on it in the administration gui and right "re-index").. make sure that the index gets completed.. you might also want to shut down the app and see if there is a file called "share.xml" in the vibe streamer installation directory.

Another thing that can mess it up is if the share is password protected.. but I bet you thought of that already..

Bassmus

29-06-2008 21:01:02

Yep, that did it. Tried setting Wine to emulate Vibestreamer as WinXP, but it still set the virtual name the same as the folder structure. Ah well, now that I know about it, I can live with it.

I love the new design, by the way! The user interface is great! Good job!

Do you plan on adding support for FLAK in the future? Sorry if you've already answered this a zillion times, but I couldn't find anything about it in the forum. )

siit

29-06-2008 21:15:02

[quote1e4mvz8x]Yep, that did it. Tried setting Wine to emulate Vibestreamer as WinXP, but it still set the virtual name the same as the folder structure. Ah well, now that I know about it, I can live with it. [/quote1e4mvz8x]

Good one.. the "fix" that will be added is that I will add a validation for all names.. that will avoid any confusion at least... but apart from that, I'm pretty impressed with Wine and how well it works, I gotta say )

[quote1e4mvz8x]Do you plan on adding support for FLAK in the future? Sorry if you've already answered this a zillion times, but I couldn't find anything about it in the forum.[/quote1e4mvz8x]
Well, there are lots of future plans and one of them is real time transcoding of the files, so if time allows it will be implemented in the future... but my main focus now is to finish the standard skin aswell as some of the features missing before I can release a public 3.0.0 version.. after that we'll see.. transcoding is quite high up on my own wish-list..

Bassmus

30-06-2008 09:20:12

I'm testing Vibestreamer a bit using Firefox 3 in WinXP, with the server running on Ubuntu 8.04 using Wine, and a few things popped up

- When drag'n dropping a folder from the Files window into the Playlist window, the mp3 files in the folder are added correctly, but the list is scrolled down to the bottom after the files have been added. A more logical approach, I think, would be if the list is scrolled to the top after the files have been added (so the user immediately can start playing the first song).

- In Firefox, Ctrl+TAB (for switching between tabs) is "captured" by Vibestreamer.

- The "progress knob" in the music progress bar jumps about 10-15% "into the song" when starting to play a new song, while the song is being buffered in the background (the bar goes from grey to green).

siit

30-06-2008 09:30:12

Thanks for the feedback,

[quote2guqcu9n]When drag'n dropping a folder from the Files window into the Playlist window, the mp3 files in the folder are added correctly, but the list is scrolled down to the bottom after the files have been added. A more logical approach, I think, would be if the list is scrolled to the top after the files have been added (so the user immediately can start playing the first song). [/quote2guqcu9n]

This can be easily modified in the skin if wanted.. I don't know if everyone will ever think the same of a thing like this, so maybe in the future I'll add a settings panel for details such as this one..

[quote2guqcu9n]In Firefox, Ctrl+TAB (for switching between tabs) is "captured" by Vibestreamer. [/quote2guqcu9n]

The tabbing is actually captured by adobe flash in FireFox / if the flash player has focus, that is.. this is something firefox has to solve..

[quote2guqcu9n]The "progress knob" in the music progress bar jumps about 10-15% "into the song" when starting to play a new song, while the song is being buffered in the background (the bar goes from grey to green).[/quote2guqcu9n]

Yep, reported and being fixed for next alpha..

MockY

30-06-2008 21:04:43

- When drag'n dropping a folder from the Files window into the Playlist window, the mp3 files in the folder are added correctly, but the list is scrolled down to the bottom after the files have been added.
[/quote150luiky]

I don't mind this at all if an entire folder is dragged into the playlist area. However, if a single song is dragged in, it should be added to where it was dropped and NOT in the end/bottom of the list. Maybe it's just me, but if I want to play the song right after the current playing song, I should be able to just drop it where I want it. Now I have to drag it from the bottom all the way up to where I want it.

siit

02-07-2008 10:14:36

Current status

While going through the entire skin for a _major_ performance improvement when working with a large amount of folders, I decided to finally also start working on the playlists.

My goals are to make it possible to
- create / load / save / rename / delete playlists.
- mark a playlist as shared so other users can load it, but not modify it,
unless they choose to save it as a playlist of their own.
- unique id for shared files, probably through a combo of the md5 hash and the filename/creation date. this will make it possible to move a file and it will still be found in the playlist. adding this feature depends on how much slower the hashing is going to make the indexing process, hopefully it will work out as expected.

The work has just started and together with the skin performance improvement it will take a while longer before the next alpha.. but when these additions is stable I'm ready to move Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 to the beta phase, where I will focus on bug fixes and small tweaks before the new vibe streamer goes official.

CoDEmanX

04-07-2008 14:58:31

Just tried the current alpha and it's great! I found some minor things that should be fixed or could be added

- Online Session last track played does not wrap (no spaces in path/name)
[imgst8bf8rf]http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/31eredl/vibestreamer_bug.png[/imgst8bf8rf]

- "Logged out" screen no link to the login form to log in again

- No multiple selection for directories and files (CTRL doesn't work, SHIFT opens new window in FF 2.0.0.15)

- Playlists like the trackinfo and online session details (sidebar) incl. drag'n'drop

- Download feature to download from file list, current playlist and playlist sidebar

- Help button in the upper right corner with a small online help

- Performance improvement for the flash player (volume slider does not react that fast)

siit

04-07-2008 17:05:54

CoDEmanX Thanks for the report.. all things will be fixed and added in the next alpha except for the download feature won't be an official addon for vibe streamer.. but it's easily modified for those that want it.

Help was also good idea.. that will be something I add right before the final release..

mavisgold

05-07-2008 20:40:42

[i1gvqnqfn]error message[/i1gvqnqfn]
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http//24.18.75.507500/js/ext-2.0.2/ext-all.js55

IE8 and firefox 3.0

listening to files on one drive then trying to view directory on another
I continue to complete script then "please wait..." goes on forever
and player quits after current song finishes
Connection eventually times out

over 35,000 files on each drive (too many? mrgreen )

kjparenteau

05-07-2008 21:52:32

[quotefznvt7fa]over 35,000 files on each drive (too many? )[/quotefznvt7fa]
Siit is working on performance issues for the larger collections such as this. Should hopefully be available with the next Alpha release.

mavisgold

05-07-2008 23:16:50

Siit is working on performance issues for the larger collections such as this.[/quote2ivlq9e8]
thank you
D

siit

07-07-2008 11:54:02

[quotevgdkknc9]error message
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. [/quotevgdkknc9]

Can you give me some info on how many folders it's trying to list at that moment?

mavisgold

07-07-2008 15:27:50

[quote1ww27be2]error message
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. [/quote1ww27be2]

Can you give me some info on how many folders it's trying to list at that moment?[/quote1ww27be2]

current directories shown - 55
current files shown - 1,128

tried to open directory with 21 sub directories containing 7,000 files

total of over 70,000 files oops

siit

07-07-2008 15:35:38

Ok.. the size of your collection overall doesn't really add any issues to the performance.. the problem is for the browser having to render loads of subdirectories at once.

I'm currently working on the performance, and it has improved a lot now.. but still, 7000 items isn't a cake for a browser to render.

Currently I've been able to reach about the same performance as Vibe Streamer 2 with the new skin, but even there it takes 15-20 seconds (or more) to render +8000 items. That size is even quite slow in the Windows XP explorer.. and javascript doesn't have anywhere near that performance..

The new modification doesn't really render all the items.. it just adds them to memory and displays them when necessary, but the initial load (pushing 8000-10000 items into a javascript array) takes it time, and your browser starts wondering if the javascript has hung..

I'll see if I can tweak it a bit more, but so far a standard large folder (around 2000-3000 items) goes in 1-3 seconds.. against 10-20 seconds in the current 3.0.0a4. Also, now the window can be resized even though you have thousands of items open and it won't lag very much..

So that's some improvement at least )

MockY

07-07-2008 18:35:35

Awesome work siit. I'm jumping of joy.

maelue

11-07-2008 07:45:40

Nice Job Siit !
This version is really different to the other version.
I'm testing the alpha on a Server 2003 Enterprise in our office.
Especially the broadcasting feature is the most clicked feature.
Some points
The drag and drop with an empty folder will crash the program but
also sometimes a folder with mp3 will do also.
Why does the logfile not containing the files that users had played
in their sessions ? it was so nice to check what's in and out.

Sincerely
maelue

siit

11-07-2008 09:24:43

[quote21moj3vi]The drag and drop with an empty folder will crash the program but
also sometimes a folder with mp3 will do also. [/quote21moj3vi]

That one's new to me.. but by "crash the program" you mean that the client application bugs? Or do you mean that the server crashes?

[quote21moj3vi]Why does the logfile not containing the files that users had played
in their sessions ? it was so nice to check what's in and out. [/quote21moj3vi]

For now, enable the access log by editing "conf/skins.xml" in your installation directory. Note that you have to stop the server, edit the file (setting access log enabled to "true"), and starting the server again.

maelue

11-07-2008 12:14:15

The program is still running, but if i drag a a folder (everytime by an empty folder, sometimes by a folder containing mp3's) to the player-window, the server is no more available. after stopping and starting everything is fine again.
never mind, the program is great. I cannot wait for the beta version
to come !!

Sincerely
maelue

siit

11-07-2008 15:12:58

[quote1wzqug4p]The program is still running, but if i drag a a folder (everytime by an empty folder, sometimes by a folder containing mp3's) to the player-window, the server is no more available. after stopping and starting everything is fine again[/quote1wzqug4p]

Well, that's something I'd like to solve.. never seen it before though. Is it always the same folder/files or does it just happen randomly for you?

kjparenteau

11-07-2008 17:13:54

[quote1fnotteh]The program is still running, but if i drag a a folder (everytime by an empty folder, sometimes by a folder containing mp3's) to the player-window, the server is no more available. after stopping and starting everything is fine again[/quote1fnotteh]
Siit - Tried to duplicate, but mine never crashed... I am running the same OS on my server, tried both IE7 and Firefox 3 for client access.

Maelue - What browser are you using on the client side? And what is the exact name of the folder (on the server) that you're dragging to the player?

maelue

11-07-2008 18:08:40

The error mostly comes when trying to drag a folder directly from the directory window into the player. Then the VibeStreamer is no more available by URL. I've tried it with different folders. By adding over the files window everything is fine. The program logs no error at all.

siit

11-07-2008 19:15:21

[quote1yit55bv]The error mostly comes when trying to drag a folder directly from the directory window into the player. Then the VibeStreamer is no more available by URL. I've tried it with different folders. By adding over the files window everything is fine. The program logs no error at all.
[/quote1yit55bv]

hmm.. there is no real code differences when dragging from the directory tree or the file tree.. so this one is hard to debug for me. Does the directory you're dragging contain a lot of files and folders?

one way to debug this would be to install firebug (for firefox), drag the folder, check the exakt url for the the ajax call being made to get-index-xml.vibe, and then copy that url and parse it into a new tab in firefox (when you're loggeed on), and see what the resulting xml is.

maelue

12-07-2008 10:12:54

A reboot (saturday is a good time for this) had killed the "bug" ! Don't ask me what is was. maybe some services from our other applications had caused this error. So i just have to say that it was no fault of the VibeStreamer.

Have a nice weekend and thank you for your support. I'm administrating a lot of applications and there are just a few who are so interested in what the users say.

THANKS A LOT.
maelue D

siit

14-07-2008 11:32:54

[quote2vhs8v4v]Have a nice weekend and thank you for your support. I'm administrating a lot of applications and there are just a few who are so interested in what the users say. [/quote2vhs8v4v]

Always glad to be of service )

siit

14-07-2008 11:41:21

Current update
The work on the next alpha is going great. The file and directory tree will most likely be kept and skin-performance has improved a lot when working with lots of files and directories, with the help of a great extjs component (http//www.siteartwork.de/livegrid/).

I've now decided to purchase a commercial license for extjs, so I can use version 2.1. But that puts me into quite a few questions regarding licensing and the use of extjs user components (such as the livegrid I've become quite fond of). Licensing is quite a big question now in the extjs community, and I have no problem supporting their great work, but I also need to make sure that I don't break any licensing terms.

So at the moment I'm working on making sure that everything with licensing will be solved, while still working on improving the skin and adding the playlist support.

Hopefully this will be solved without any big issues and Vibe Streamer can go into an official version.

So if people are interested and want to help me out, here's some info regarding the licensing change of extjs

http//extjs.com/products/license.php
http//extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33096
http//extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33891

CoDEmanX

15-07-2008 18:43:51

GPL v3 is kinda complex...

"2.1 Your Extension does not contain any Code or modified Code from the Library." shock ?

Other frameworks, but not as good as extjs

http//dhtmlx.com/docs/products/dhtmlxGrid/ - Free under GPL license, $199 single license for 1 site/application

http//dojocampus.org/explorer/#Dojox_Grid_Basic - Seems to be slow, but free for non-commercial projects?

siit

15-07-2008 19:17:45

Yea it's not simple at all, licensing sure is a jungle to get lost in and there are a lot of discussions and arguments specifically around the extjs license and that makes it even more confusing /

I've contacted the author of livegrid and he gave me the answer that there he does not think there should be any problems when switching to commercial 2.1 Extjs license.

I also contacted extjs license department and they gave me the reply
"We will be releasing 2.2 shortly and along with that our Floss exceptions. You should be able to use them in your project going forward."

So it seems everything should be fine then. So I'll aim for the commercial license in order to take part of all the extjs updates and fixes. I'll still keep the alpha download on hold until the next alpha though, just to keep everything in order.

aphuey

15-07-2008 19:48:48

Thanks for all your work, Siit!

Any idea when you might be able to open the download back up for the alpha version? I know you're waiting until the next alpha release - do you know when that might be?

I missed downloading alpha 4 by one day - my interest is piqued and I'm dying to see it in action!

Also - how much does the commercial license cost? I'd like to donate a little to help out - I'm sure it won't come close to the cost of the license, but I love the current version of Vibe Streamer and wanted to send a little something your way.

Thanks!
Ben

siit

17-07-2008 13:06:48

[quote2128p3xb]Any idea when you might be able to open the download back up for the alpha version? I know you're waiting until the next alpha release - do you know when that might be?[/quote2128p3xb]

I don't know yet. It depends on when the new version of extjs is released, together with the new FLOSS license. Also I need to work with performance on the skin, and the final implementation of playlists. Since it's vacation time soon here that will also have some affect, but I'm aiming for a new, and one of the last alpha versions (before I go beta) during the summer. But as always, I won't make any promises.. but I'm getting pretty eager to have vibe streamer 3.0.0 out soon )

[quote2128p3xb]Also - how much does the commercial license cost? I'd like to donate a little to help out - I'm sure it won't come close to the cost of the license, but I love the current version of Vibe Streamer and wanted to send a little something your way. [/quote2128p3xb]

I truly appreciate your support ) A commercial ext license starts at $289 for the cheapeast one, which I'm most likely aiming for at this point.

Radon

14-08-2008 23:27:11

Hey siit

I'm interested in the current developement state and any news ;)

Thanks

gabbe

18-08-2008 12:52:15

[i1qjdilom]CoDEmanX Thanks for the report.. all things will be fixed and added in the next alpha except for the download feature won't be an official addon for vibe streamer.. but it's easily modified for those that want it. [/i1qjdilom][/size1qjdilom]

How do i do this modification to get the the download funktion?

Absolut fantastic software !!!! Keep on!!!

MockY

23-08-2008 00:11:17

Hey siit

Thanks[/quote11xps3w4]

Swedish vacation...you better be patient )

Radon

23-08-2008 15:30:18

Hey siit

Thanks[/quote2ro6j2qw]

Swedish vacation...you better be patient )[/quote2ro6j2qw]

Oh - ok - how long are swedish vacations? ;)

siit

23-08-2008 17:37:25

Hiya,
I'm back from my vacation now on monday. I've taken a longer break from any development during my vacation, so I'll most likely get back to working on making Vibe Streamer reader for a beta. I'll get back with some more info later on..

cenisio

27-08-2008 15:32:38

GPL v3 is kinda complex...

Other frameworks, but not as good as extjs

http//dhtmlx.com/docs/products/dhtmlxGrid/ - Free under GPL license, $199 single license for 1 site/application

http//dojocampus.org/explorer/#Dojox_Grid_Basic - Seems to be slow, but free for non-commercial projects?[/quote2w5uijw8]

We need to decide which web toolkit to use, either extjs or dhtmlxGrid.
why do you think that extjs is better than dhtmlxGrid?

Many thanks,
Cenisio

DjStraw

05-09-2008 10:51:09

Thank you for such excellent software, I do not understand much English and that is why it is not exactly happen because there is the new version yet. I like crazy, excited by having the final version and also I would like to know how serious possible able to play videos?.

Thank you.

===============================================

Muchas Gracias por tan excelente software, no entiendo mucho el ingles y es por eso que no se exactamente que ocurre de el porque no hay nueva version aun. Estoy como loco, emocionado por tener la version final y tambien me gustaria saber que tan posible seria poder reproducir videos?.

Muchas Gracias.

siit

08-09-2008 13:32:30

Current status

After a very nice and long vacation, with a break from all programming I'm now back to work and also back to developing Vibe Streamer. I've given a few things some thought during the summer and the plans right now is to work on the final performance before it's time for the beta.

Right now I'm moving the indexing from xml based storage and xpath searching into an sqlite database. This I actually got a suggestion for a long time ago, but for several reasons I didn't think this was required. When this is implemented performance will be improved a lot, and most of all, the memory usage of the server will be MUCH lower, even if you're sharing a huge amount of music.

After that I'm going back to finishing the skin. There is a new version of extjs out now and I've played around with the performance, and I'm pretty positive that after some work Vibe Streamer will be working smooth even for those with a large amount of folders.

So that's it at the moment. Having great performance and memory usage is very important, and when this is done I'm getting pretty satisfied with Vibe Streamer 3.0, and hopefully everyone else aswell )

I'll keep you all updated.

Yukiko

14-09-2008 09:22:42

Thanks Siit.

*waits patiently*

Radon

17-09-2008 15:16:21

Thanks Siit.

*waits patiently*[/quotey123bv4n]

*waits not so patiently* P

MockY

19-09-2008 21:05:08

Thanks Siit.

*waits patiently*[/quote3dhfxht7]

*Brings out a lawn chair, opens a bag of chips, and corks up a fancy German beer*

brady

19-09-2008 22:11:09

I love vibe Streamer glad to here things are moving along, please let me know if there is any way I can contribute.

Amish

20-09-2008 01:03:37

donate

DD6VD

30-09-2008 13:28:09

Siit at which time is a new Version Available for testing ?

siit

14-10-2008 08:39:17

Current status

The indexer has been rebuilt into using sqlite instead of libxml2.
This has improved performance aswell as greatly reduced the memory usage of the server. The testshare I use for development which contains 250.000+ songs used up 450mb in memory before the rewrite, while it now instead uses 10mb. So this pretty much beats the current Vibe Streamer 2 aswell.

I'm currently working on two problems that I need to work out before I can give you a new release

- The TreeView performance in the Standard skin. I've been playing around a while with the excellent Livegrid user extension for ExtJs (http//www.siteartwork.de/livegrid/). But if I am to use it I need to be sure that I can use it also as a treeview, which I've been able to do at about 80%.. but there are some things that I need to solve before I'm certain that it's possible.. so that's pretty much taking much of my time right now.

- The licensing issues with ExtJs and ExtJs User Extensions. A commercial license would solve it for now, but I'd like to solve this as good as possible.

Sorry for the delay, but I just want to have this to at least give you the great performance that I know it can, before I go live.

cheers
//erik

kjparenteau

14-10-2008 16:05:32

Keep up the excellent work Siit! I know we're all anxious to see the results, but do take the time you need to make sure its right! )

Jejje

20-10-2008 19:09:08

Just donated. I'm not a rich man but i love this software. I'm looking forward to test the new version.

Regards,
Anders, Borås, Sweden

nakti

23-10-2008 13:24:42

Can you please give some info when vibe streamer are going to be released ? one month or two or something like that ?

Vibe Streamer is awesome the best streamer ever!!!
Regards
Nakti ;)

nakti

31-10-2008 12:52:06

Hellooo ! D when can we try the new version for Vibe streamer D?

yoghurt-feen

01-11-2008 15:40:08

Hellooo ! D when can we try the new version for Vibe streamer D?[/quote21a3acfv]

Ey! Chill! Give siit the time he needs! )

nakti

01-11-2008 17:42:46

hehehe okay but I can't wait to try the new version D

Ps Any Luck? Updates?

nakti

12-11-2008 00:05:33

Siit...Do u have some screenshots for the new vibe streamer 3 ?

nakti

03-12-2008 15:17:28

Any Updates ?

yoghurt-feen

04-12-2008 23:40:50

WAAARH! nakti... Do you mind...

If you read the first page of this topic you will find a few screenshots...

Just give siit the time he needs...

Radon

12-12-2008 15:18:45

Hmm nakti chill it ;)

I had the last alpha, but I lost it - so for me its even harder to wait ;) but with some patience, we will surely get Alpha 5 somewhen )

nakti

13-12-2008 22:17:06

Radon I didn't know about Alpha version so I haven't tried it cry

Radon

12-01-2009 10:40:00

Yeah nakti I know - but what I wanted to say is, that it is even harder to wait, once you have tried the alpha (and lost the setup file ;) )...

well I hope news are coming soon

MockY

13-01-2009 22:37:53

I'm in the same boat. I had the alpha running for quite a while but lost the install. Once you get a taste of whats to come, you'll sit on needles every day in anticipation for any announcement from siit.
One thing is for sure, the final release will kick some serious ass...no matter when it comes out.

kjparenteau

14-01-2009 20:30:16

[quote2wtdnz5b]One thing is for sure, the final release will kick some serious ass...no matter when it comes out.[/quote2wtdnz5b]
Totally agreed. I'm really anxious to see the performance gains once its done. With large libraries, it tends to bog down, so once that's fixed I'm sure things will get closer to the next release. The new UI is great, and the new features rock. One thing I would love to see is transcoding at the server location before its streamed. That will allow for A LOT less bandwidth consumption, thus meaning more listeners at the same time. Only trade-off is needing a decent computer for Vibe Streamer to transcode fast enough to not notice a performance decrease on the remote end.

Chronic

07-02-2009 19:47:51

I'm sorry but it's taking waaay too long between updates. Thank god for Subsonic!
http//subsonic.sourceforge.net

Mastakilla

08-02-2009 00:51:20

I'm sorry but it's taking waaay too long between updates. Thank god for Subsonic!
http//subsonic.sourceforge.net[/quote1277p4s8]
kewl

the specs of subsonic seem pretty nice indeed

can anyone tell me the advantages of the current and future vibestreamer compared to subsonic? (so far i have only tried the current vibestreamer)

B-22

09-02-2009 22:51:19

http//subsonic.sourceforge.net[/quoteinoqktd8]
kewl

the specs of subsonic seem pretty nice indeed

can anyone tell me the advantages of the current and future vibestreamer compared to subsonic? (so far i have only tried the current vibestreamer)[/quoteinoqktd8]

i tried it a while a go! the problem with subsonic is that scared users off,i shared this programm with a lot of friends but the catch was that everyone with the same password&username the playlist with different users was not working lets say user1 listen to elvis user2 can delete it

you have to clone the flashplayer !
+ to many options and scrammbled library it makes users confused shock

but the skin and the search function works like a charm and you have id3tag support like album art etc

vibe streamer is a clean interface not to difficult and you dont have the users interfering problem
al i missing is a descent search function for a large share.xml otherwise i stick with vibestreamer !

Mastakilla

10-02-2009 00:05:35

i just found out that the subsonic trayicon (yes, stopping the service alone is not enough) causes my pc to crash when i try to connect to it using remote desktop connection...

so i guess i'm back to waiting for the new vibstreamer ;)

Chronic

10-02-2009 13:15:00

I'm sorry but I think you have much larger issues with your PC then. I RDP into my server which runs Subsonic just fine. -)

i just found out that the subsonic trayicon (yes, stopping the service alone is not enough) causes my pc to crash when i try to connect to it using remote desktop connection...

so i guess i'm back to waiting for the new vibstreamer ;)[/quote2gtp1tcd]

Yukiko

11-02-2009 05:00:50

I like SS from what I've seen but Vibe I like Vibes UI. Plus Vibe gives me a bit more flexibility, ie. I can specify which users see which directories. That's a big plus!

That having been said, is it poor manners to discuss a "competitor" to Vibe on Vibes forums?
*smiles shyly*

Mastakilla

11-02-2009 13:50:31

I'm sorry but I think you have much larger issues with your PC then. I RDP into my server which runs Subsonic just fine. -)

so i guess i'm back to waiting for the new vibstreamer ;)[/quotebftqsf1u][/quotebftqsf1u]
i havent noticed any other issues so far to be fair...

are you using xp sp3 and the newest version of the rdp client?

Mastakilla

11-02-2009 13:53:14

I like SS from what I've seen but Vibe I like Vibes UI. Plus Vibe gives me a bit more flexibility, ie. I can specify which users see which directories. That's a big plus!

That having been said, is it poor manners to discuss a "competitor" to Vibe on Vibes forums?
*smiles shyly*[/quote30jma9pt]
it is getting a bit off topic, yes...

but discussing the advantages / disadvantages of one over the other shouldn't be such a big issue (unless one of the two has no advantages at all offcourse)

kjparenteau

11-02-2009 23:32:27

[quote33qjgeot]it is getting a bit off topic, yes...

but discussing the advantages / disadvantages of one over the other shouldn't be such a big issue (unless one of the two has no advantages at all offcourse)[/quote33qjgeot]
It is indeed getting off-topic... There are other sections within this forum to discuss other software products and how they compare to Vibe Streamer. This topic is about Vibe Streamer Alpha and its features, so lets keep it that way. Back to the topic at hand... lol

Yukiko

13-02-2009 08:24:52

I am finally going to admit that I too would like to see some action with the new Vibe streamer but I'll also admit that I am a "freeloader" and have yet to donate so I guess I truly can't and shouldn't complain. So just to be sure I am NOT complaining...oh well maybe just a tiny bit...
*grins sheepishly*

Radon

15-02-2009 14:01:59

guys...im also tired of wating - but posting links to another streamer in THIS topic? - you think thats fair against siit? - nope it isnt - so i think, you guys should stop talking about it here, and maybe delete the link....

Yukiko

16-02-2009 12:14:53

Right Radon.
That's why I mentioned it earlier. It's usually considered to be bad form to do that. As I noted I love Vibes features. Frankly I don't need to display a lot of album art and such as long as I can see the artist's names and song titles. Plus I really like the directory permissions/users that can be set in Vibe. I have yet to see a free media streamer that gives me the features and light weight UI that Vibe does.

B-22

21-02-2009 01:25:09

siit D ,whats the progress on this forum ...just to say ,keep up the good work ,but people wants to know {just like the ancients time ..in moby dick or whatever } are you still alive!! ?

siit

23-02-2009 17:15:46

Heya!

Yeah, I'm very much alive and so is the development of Vibe Streamer 3.
The reason why it's been so quiet from me for some time hasn't been due to any inactivity in the Vibe Streamer development, but instead because I feel that I shouldn't give any promises until I know myself where I'm actually at.

The final alpha release showed me some problems that had to be worked out
- The memory usage was WAY, way... over what I had intended for Vibe Streamer.
- ExtJS changed licensing
- Treeview/Grid does not perform well enough and makes browsing the music VERY slow when displaying 1000+ directories, which isn't anywhere near what Vibe Streamer should be able to do.
- The XML data model wasn't enough for the future ideas I have for Vibe Streamer.

So I've spend the past 6 months working on these issues on the very little spare time I have, due to my daytime job, the band ([url2wy8rcmj]http://www.last.fm/music/a+swarm+of+the+sun[/url2wy8rcmj]), the record label ([url2wy8rcmj]http://www.versionstudio.com[/url2wy8rcmj]) and also that "socializing" thingie that people talk so much about )

So the solutions I've been working on has been
- Implementing an Sqlite database structure next to the Xml storage. This solves BOTH the memory usage problems as well as the requirements for a better data model.
- Re-writing the skin to improve performance in javascript. I think actually I've rewritten the skin 4-5 times now, trying different methods.
- Refactoring 95% of the server code, preparing for a beta release.
- Documenting almost all of the code, preparing for a possible source release sometime in a possible future.

The list could go on forever...

So where am I now?
I'm currently working with a final version of the client/skin since I'd actually say that the server has now finally reached beta stage. And I'm now working with a ExtJS user extension called LiveGrid that might be able to solve all my problems.

When that skin is ready, then I'm ready to go beta with what I intend Vibe Streamer 3 to become A clean, simple and good looking streaming server.,. with the new addition of a much more stable and efficient core, well-structured and ready for new future implementations.

Anyways, glad to hear that you're all awaiting the next version. I'm doing my best to have it out as soon as possible!

LisaRCT

23-02-2009 18:18:33

as always, thanks for the update and the excellent work. I am sure it will be well worth the wait. wink

WurstverkÀufer

26-02-2009 13:33:53

Many thanks for the update siit! It's good to know that there is some progress D
Thank you in anticipation for Vibestreamer 3!

Yukiko

04-03-2009 11:31:32

Thank you Siit. Now all I need to do is build a new server (my last one died a slow and horrible death) to host the "New and Improved" Vibe Streamer.

MockY

17-03-2009 20:05:14

I was about ready to call the cops and report you as a missing person )
Awesome to see you are still well and alive and that the Vibestreamer project did not turn stale.
Keep up the good work.

siit

08-04-2009 11:16:52

A quick update Vibe Streamer 3 will in a few days go into closed beta where a few friends will be able to try it out. When everything seems OK I will proceed with a public beta.

More info coming as soon as the closed beta is over.

kjparenteau

08-04-2009 16:54:13

Woohoo!!! D Thanks for the update Siit!

LisaRCT

08-04-2009 16:56:28

Good news, can't wait . . . . if I must hold my breath much longer I'll implode ;)

MockY

09-04-2009 02:19:58

Hot damn! I think I just swallowed my tongue.
This awesome news.

Yukiko

09-04-2009 08:53:20

Thanks Siit.

siit

17-04-2009 08:43:07

Latest update

Vibe Streamer 3 has gone into a closed beta now and so far seems to work very fine. Meanwhile I'm tuning the playlist management a bit, but if the closed beta goes smoother than expected, I'll release it here without the playlists just to be able to see how the rest works..

Not far now..

Yukiko

17-04-2009 09:00:49

Awww... please please please include the playlists too...

siit

17-04-2009 09:55:59

Of course I wil include it in the final release, but an early beta might exclude it, otherwise you will have to wait a bit longer for those. The first things I need tested is the general stuff, such as shares, users, groups.. and performance/memory usage (which was the problem with the alpha version).

plam40

17-04-2009 20:42:38

YOU ARE GREAT GUY !

LisaRCT

17-04-2009 20:45:14

YOU ARE GREAT GUY ![/quote3bc1nn73]
Shhhhh! Wait until we have downloaded it before the compliments. 8)

MockY

18-04-2009 21:37:25

Shhhhh! Wait until we have downloaded it before the compliments. 8)[/quote1m4ptgvp]
Screw that. siit has truly made my life easier and I owe him big time, and if there were compliment emoticons in the forum, I would surely overuse it.
siit has a firm hero status.

B-22

19-04-2009 12:31:24

thats SUPER GREAT NEWS D ...thanx siit
i hope that the searchfunction runs stable with my 500GB on mp3's

oh by the way siit can you also post the player.fla file ! when version 3.0 comes out
i like to skin the new version to wink

Phil

22-04-2009 20:31:51

Latest update

Vibe Streamer 3 has gone into a closed beta now and so far seems to work very fine. Meanwhile I'm tuning the playlist management a bit, but if the closed beta goes smoother than expected, I'll release it here without the playlists just to be able to see how the rest works..

Not far now..[/quote2k1bzwoa]

If you need another beta tester please let me know.

siit

23-04-2009 13:56:52

Update

The closed beta is running towards an end. Some bugs have been found and fixed. Before I proceed with the public beta I need to add a new settings panel for optional user/group settings to the GUI and fix a valid license for ExtJS, and that won't take many days. So keep your eyes open one or two weeks from now.

B-22

The search functionality is pretty basic to start with, but I'm pretty sure it should be able to handle your collection. The public beta will hopefully prove to go smoothly.

After the public beta is over and Vibe Streamer 3.0.0 is finally released, I will make both the webbased client/skin aswell as the flash source available for download.

If you're interested, then I'd really like to see if the flash player could be improved so it reads the layout and language resources from an XML file or through init parameters, thus making it easier for people to "skin" it without having to go through flash coding, but just modifying the XML file and replace the images.

I'm not really much of a flash developer and most likely never will be, so any ideas there are welcome )

Yukiko

25-04-2009 12:55:44

Thanks Siit.

We are all hoping things go smooth.

yoghurt-feen

03-05-2009 09:45:25

Oh! It all sounds really great! im so looking forward to test your software again!

siit

03-05-2009 23:02:06

Vibe Streamer 3 is now in beta testing stage.
You can find the new thread for download link and discussions regarding
the beta release here.[/url36c63one]

This thread is now closed and the discussions will continue in the new thread.