Questions about linux version

daace

11-03-2008 20:40:18

Hi siit!

I'm very anxious about Vibe 3.0 (since there's no good equivalent on linux) and so I have a few questions about Vibe Streamer 3.0 on Linux
[listykexz18i]
* Will there be a daemon mode?
* Will it support OGG Vorbis? (I think i read about, but can't find it ATM)
* Will there be a console-only version?
* Are you planning to release it as open-source?[/listuykexz18i]

When all of these questions can be answered with yes, I'll be the first who uses Vibe on Linux on a regular base. -)

Thank you very much for this app!

Julius

siit

12-03-2008 11:35:52

the current version i'm working with is _prepared_ to be as portable as possible.. although the reality is that i probably won't just be able to compile it an run it on linux in an instant.. so it's like with most additional features that I'd like to add as soon as the new core is stable i'll look upon these bigger things, such as the linux port.. (much since i'd like to run it on linux myself also ))

but ill try to answer your questions

1) can't really answer this before I've started the porting /
2) as soon as the transcoders are implemented ogg vorbis transcoding should be supported..the transcoding interface itself is actually implemented..
3) the linux version will most likely be console only..
4) no promises.. but it's very much a possibility.. my mail goal is for vibe streamer to live on.. and it's much too large now for just a single developer.. so open source is a nice solution..

cheers

//erik

daace

05-12-2009 00:28:00

So, any news about a native Linux port? Or did you abandon that plan? -)

siit

14-01-2010 00:49:50

[quote2utpo7ov]So, any news about a native Linux port? Or did you abandon that plan?[/quote2utpo7ov]

As with everything, it's a matter of time and priority. I'm currently using Linux only nowdays (except for the WinXP machine that I solely use for Vibe Streamer dev )) so I'd also would like it to be native Linux more than anything. A lot of the rewrite in 3.0.0 was actually made in preparation of a Linux port, but there remains one large obstactle, which is the future plan of abandoning the server GUI and replace it with a web application instead for all the administration. That would actually eliminate the problem with choosing a GUI library and rewriting the administrator GUI, and I'd be able to just focus on having the server part compiling on Linux.

But as stated before, I'm a single developer with a full time job and without help from someone (maybe with writing the administration web app, for example), there will be a while before a Linux port may begin. I also guess current users wouldn't be very happy if I paused the development of new features now and once again have a feature stop for a year or more.

Releasing Vibe Streamer open source is still a good possibility and maybe that would solve it once and for all. But as it is now that won't happen until all Win32 specific code is gone at least.

So if you know any good experienced frontend developers out there with some time and interest on their hands, send em over here and help speed up the process.