First up & Auto-pruning & Auto-saving of playlist

Guillaume

05-03-2008 00:53:59

[b1mpmxxq8]---you can skip this part if you don't have much time---[/b1mpmxxq8]

You know, when you're at a party, and the guy or gal just doesn't have the music fit for that kinda evening. That's of course when Vibe Streamer kicks in. It's just built for such an occasion. So, great, everybody is way too enthousiastic and starts adding all his/her favorite songs into the evergrowing playlist. Problem is, the one who was first gets all the songs he wanted first, in a row! "Hey," you get said, "that program of yours just isn't fair!" So you turn on the random switch. Perfect! But now there's another problem the playlist keeps growing, and growing, and growing until you just don't have a clue what'll probably come next; the playlist is of no use at all, being such a gigantic list of already played and to-be-played songs. Hell, you might as well be using iTunes then, for that matter (and that's no compliment!). People want to know what's the first song coming up (1) and have a clean list of the songs that already are enqueued (2). So some childish guy thinks he's doing the mass a favor by emptying the whole playlist and starting all over again, just because the playlist is now so full that it'll take until next week to listen to it all, and hey, the one who's throwing the party still wants to hear that particular song, doesn't she? But on the other hand, she's got no right to speak, because earlier that evening, she just brutally cut off a song to ensure that her - in anticipation for her next request - now suddenly 'second favorite song' was played back instantly. (3) The guy who just erased the favorite songs of about 7 people slinks off under loud protest, leaving the others disappointed by the fact that the good old playlist isn't recoverable (4), and that the anxious waiting throughout the whole evening for that one particular song that that guy has told the one he's soooo hitting on all about is not gonna be played after all. Bummer, it could've been so nice...

Ever had this kinda stuff going on at your parties? Well I have. Turns out foobar2000 isn't that sweet for taking care of the music at parties after all. But with VibeStreamer, it's even unnecessary for someone to bring a laptop at all, brilliant. In the story, just to give you a context, and because I wanted to treat you to something fun to read (I hope), and because I don't want to do anything particularly useful at this time of the night, you'll find the three (or four) feature requests for VibeStreamer that I think would make it the perfect party player. And hey, I'm even willing to sum them up for ya again!

[b1mpmxxq8]---but oooh wait, here comes the serious stuff---[/b1mpmxxq8]

1) When in random mode, a display on the top that shows the first song coming up would be brilliant. Furthermore, it can also be nice to show a tooltip with the title of the next song in it when hovering over the 'Next' button.

2) Auto-pruning of the playlist! When the playback of a song is finished, we don't need it in the playlist anymore! Especially when you're constantly adding songs to the list, this'll keep it nice 'n clean (hey, if you're here and like 'huh?', you should've read the story above).

3) Giving absolute priority to one song when in random mode, i.e. playing it directly after the current one. Nobody wants to ruin the playlist (or do they?) and above all, nobody should abort the currently playing song just to be sure that the next song is the one they want (no really, you should've read the story!)

4) Auto-backing up the playlist. To protect you from that wannabe-geek that suddenly empties your playlist that took you so long to create (you know, at parties, as IN THE STORY! You can still read it, you know...) Just every x minutes, Vibe Streamer could create a playlist called 'Backup 2008-03-05 050'.

Nice, eh? Let me know what you think!

Guillaume

16-03-2008 16:36:58

Wow, quite some popularity for this topic!

Guillaume

19-09-2008 22:15:46

Got another request, much more important to me than the above ones

Ability to merge multiple folder on a disk into one virtual VibeStreamer folder.

XBMC does this perfectly, and it allows me to combine the folders A, B, C etc. of my 2listen, ripped and downloaded folders into one whole. Unfortunately, Windows does not have such a feature, but inside the VibeStreamer database, it should be possible.

MockY

03-10-2008 19:21:09

It sounds like you need to find some new friends who know the meaning of courtesy and respect )

Guillaume

03-10-2008 21:53:58

Hahaha, maybe I do ;) Anywayz, suggestion in second post would definitely be top priority for me personally.