There has gotta be a way to prevent copying of files....

Steel

06-08-2007 02:20:00

I'm sure i've found the code that Would be used, but not quite sure how to impliment this within the vibe language system.

I want to disable the songs from caching in the client-side user's Temporary Internet Files. I know this can be done thru a few multiple approaches using META EQUIV tags and in js thru something similar to
this -

{
header("Cache-Control no-store, must-revalidate");
header("Expires Mon, 26 Jul 1997 050000 GMT");
header("Content-Type audio/mpeg");
header('Content-Length ' . filesize($file));
print(fread($fh, filesize($file)));
}

Just not sure on where you would impliment it and how.. would you need to make a variable. Any help would be nice. I work for an organization that is thinking of contributing and using vibe streamer on our local intranet but the ability to still be able to copy songs cause theyre stored in cache is throwing the higher ups off of wanting to use it.

Thanks,
Steel

Zero3Cool

31-08-2007 20:06:40

Do you want to do this to try keeping the tracks "private" and not being available for download, or just to keep the tracks from stacking up in the temp folder and look "suspicious"/"illegal"?

If you want to try keeping the tracks "private", i would "give up" already. The only thing you can do is to make it a bit harder for the users, but in the end, they can always simply record it and dump it to a file. Of course there is a long way to that from simply grabbing the .mp3s from the temp folder... But really, it is only a question about how hard you make it.

If you want to delete files after use for privacy reason, so it wont look "suspicious"/"illegal", i can see where you are coming from. You have to balance that between the cache advantage it gives though. If you listen to the same track twice in Vibe, you won't have to download it the second time (which also makes jumping around the whole track available from the beginning of) as it is now.

If we assume that privacy is more worth than those advantages, you are on the "right track". I do however believe that it is the Flash player that is downloading the tracks, and therefore responsible of deleting them again after use. Another solution would be to only keep the tracks in memory instead of dumping them to a file.

Personally, as the name is Vibe [b2ek6vldj]Streamer[/b2ek6vldj], I'd say cache x tracks in memory, and never leave the tracks on disk.