vibestreamers potential

volkan

11-12-2006 03:57:58

let me first begin with saying that i think vibestreamer is a great piece of software and looking at the future features that's being worked on i get even more excited.

For instance, a mobile skin is really great, but a live recoder makes it an potential ipod killer. i've got a internet connection on my mobile phone which i only pay 9,5 euro's for and has no download limit.
it uses GPRS and has an average download of 80kbps and a peak at around 100kbps. if i could recode my mp3's to 64kbps which wouldn't sound to bad on my mobile and stream it anywhere i go i wouldn't need my ipod anymore and have all my mp3's with me.
In the not too very distant future UMTS will replace GPRS i'm using now and bandwith won't be a problem anymore.
i have a feeling apple is working on something similar for there future iphones.

also, the linux/macosx port would be really nice. i'm running a windows vmware image on my linux server just to be able to run vibestreamer (

as for feature that i would really like to see in the future.
The best thing that could happen to vibestreamer is a modular developed enviroment that you can not only enable/disable parts of but also be able to develop your own modules. most of the feature request that are made can than be developed by people in the community and will make vibestreamer feature-rich really fast.

another request from me is when you guys are working on a recoder to be able to play ogg, wma and so on. Flac support would be really really great. my whole album collection is ripped in flac. if i can access this directly with vibestreamer i would be really happy.

my last request would be that vibestreamer logs to a file, preferably in a format that log analyzers can read.

cheers

Volkan

siit

11-12-2006 10:44:04

hi there and thanks for the feedback.

couldn't agree more with you on everything you're saying.
i see the same potential, and these features is what I hope being able to implement into vibe streamer in the future.. at the moment time is my only enemy that's keeping me from putting it to reality. vibe streamer has grown to a rather large application for only one developer.. i've started to think pretty seriously about having more developers helping out in order to turn all of these ideas into reality.

as for the logger, vibe streamer logs to "streamserver.log" in the directory you've installed it it.. dunno if log analyzers can read it or not.

//siit

vuelto

08-07-2008 03:48:59

I agree. Awesome product. Great potential! Installed and set up as a service on Win2K Server with NO problems. I have a large MP3 collenction though and would like to have an "Everything" playlist and the limitation of 100 songs per list is just small for me. I will be back though.

Thanks!

siit

08-07-2008 09:43:37

Version 3.0.0 which is under alpha will have better playlist support. It's planned to be added in the next alpha (3.0.0a5)