Windows 7 app settings

siit

18-11-2009 23:16:11

Hi!

I'm a bit curious about how Windows 7 stores the application files and would like to make sure the uninstaller actually works exactly as it should. I've heard that the files created by Vibe Streamer are stored at "C\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Vibe Streamer" in Windows 7. can someone running Windows 7 help me out and please verifiy that the uninstaller actually removes everything created by Vibe Streamer as it does other versions of Windows?

Thanks!

Phil

19-11-2009 19:00:02

I can confirm this on both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Professional RTM. An uninstall does NOT remove the "C\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Vibe Streamer" directory which contains

[code1qlzn1j0]
conf
server.xml
shares.xml
sites.xml
users.xml
db
index.db
server.db
logs
server-date.log
settings.xml
[/code1qlzn1j0]

The program files Vibe Streamer installation directory is removed after an uninstall.

Phil

03-12-2009 18:37:45

Hi Siit. Looks like 3.0.2 now installs all files to the Program Files directory in Windows 7. Moving the folder doesn't affect operation of Vibe Streamer so I'm guessing it's OK, but I want to ask as I didn't see any mention of this in the release notes.

siit

03-12-2009 21:41:03

[quote3us8hm3o]Hi Siit. Looks like 3.0.2 now installs all files to the Program Files directory in Windows 7. Moving the folder doesn't affect operation of Vibe Streamer so I'm guessing it's OK, but I want to ask as I didn't see any mention of this in the release notes.[/quote3us8hm3o]

Well, actually there haven't been any changes in the installer since version 3.0.0, so I guess there something else that you've done different when reinstalling. One thing I've noticed when trying it out on Windows 7 is that it stores the configuration files in different locations whether you start it through "Run as administrator" or not.. maybe that's it?

jommarjohn

01-02-2010 17:53:46

Everyone knows that they should always back up their system. Occasionally, some people even remember to do it. And then the system fails or something corrupts and you have to rebuild, and even though you’ve got a backup, the one thing you don’t have is a backup of your user profile.

News TV[/url105ytgbp] | [url=http://torrentarticles.com/105ytgbp]Torrent Articles[/url105ytgbp] | [url=http://itsmynethistory.com/105ytgbp]Net History[/url105ytgbp] | [url=http://savenetcash.com/105ytgbp]Save Net Cash[/url105ytgbp]

fsg

02-02-2010 13:18:48

Hello siit

As requested, installed and uninstaled VibeStreamer and seams to have removed completely. For a propper test however, should be running ProcessMonitor during install / uninstall. Not sure if Process Monitor v2.8 will run under Win 7, I will try in the weekend.
The compatibility assistant 'complained' on the application not being installed / uninstalled correctly. The web-ui loaded correctly, server seamed functional, did not perform thorough test though.

[b35kpys7x]Environment[/b35kpys7x]
Windows 7 Enterprise (x86) running in VMware Workstation 7.0.0 - Linux host.
VibeStreamer 3.0.2

[b35kpys7x]Install Path[/b35kpys7x]
C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer

[b35kpys7x]After install[/b35kpys7x]
C\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore - empty
C\Program Files\Uninstall Information - empty
Seams on my install there were no files written to \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\...