Creating symbolic link to multiple drives

MockY

26-08-2009 19:55:51

I do remember someone a few years back talking about a software (for Windows) that could create a virtual directory where you could add multiple drives so that VibeStreamer can display the content of all the drives as one tree. However, I could not find that post.
I want to stay away from any RAID configuration.

As the collection is growing beyond the capacity of a single drive, I would like to spread the collection throughout multiple drives, but I still want just one tree visible in Vibe. In other words, I do not want two root directories (for example A-K and L-Z). All I want is one.

So how do I accomplish this in a convenient way in Windows?

flux

05-09-2009 11:47:47

If you're an Ubuntu user... use wine to run Vibe Streamer on Linux? And then do the symlink/lvm/raid or whatever you want, to present the structure you'd like. =)

MockY

06-09-2009 20:05:11

The server that hosts Vibestreamer is a Windows 2003 server machine, and I can't therefore use any Linux magic. VS will move to a Linux server in the future, but for now it will stay.

flux

06-09-2009 21:35:38

I see. Well, maybe this is what you was looking for? http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link ? I have no idea if it's a possible sollution for you. But i guess it should work...

Phil

10-09-2009 00:13:20

I believe it was discussed in the release thread, but I can't find it now.

MockY

16-10-2009 19:25:21

I ended up creating 2 large ass RAID1's after all, something I really didn't want to do. What I would love to see in the future is capabilities to add multiple sources and VS itself treats it as one directory.

Take XBMC for an example. All you have to do is keep adding sources and the combined content of all these sources shows up as one in the actual interface. Works beautifully, and is something I would love to see being implemented in VS.

thiru06

16-10-2009 22:36:32

I ended up creating 2 large ass RAID1's after all, something I really didn't want to do. What I would love to see in the future is capabilities to add multiple sources and VS itself treats it as one directory.
[/quote2c0ivds4]

Hey MockY,

Why not RAID5? that way you could have just one big massive drive. Plus you can take full advantage of those drives..

MockY

17-10-2009 00:57:36

Why not RAID5? that way you could have just one big massive drive. Plus you can take full advantage of those drives..[/quote17sxetif]
I don't know why I said RAID1. I meant to say RAID0, and not RAID1.
With that said
You loose 33% of the capacity if you opt for RAID5. Furthermore, you are required to use 3 drives minimum. I'm not concerned about fault tolerance and in order to make the RAID as large as possible, RAID0 is the best option.

In other words.
RAID0 - 2*1TB drives = One 2TB drive
RAID5 - 3*1TB drives = One 2TB drive

I don't want to waste a drive.

thiru06

17-10-2009 05:24:07

Why not RAID5? that way you could have just one big massive drive. Plus you can take full advantage of those drives..[/quote2hmpep2i]
With that said
You loose 33% of the capacity if you opt for RAID5. Furthermore, you are required to use 3 drives minimum. I'm not concerned about fault tolerance and in order to make the RAID as large as possible, RAID0 is the best option.

In other words.
RAID0 - 2*1TB drives = One 2TB drive
RAID5 - 3*1TB drives = One 2TB drive

I don't want to waste a drive.[/quote2hmpep2i]

That make sense, previously I had various of raid (RAID0, RAID1 and RAID5) with 6x 160GB HDD. I've got rid of them all and now im using 3 x 1.5TB in RAID5 with LSI Mega RAID 300 X 8prt controller. Fault tolerance is needed to protect some of my hard to find mp3, data, etc...

Oh, You might already know, but just in case... 32Bit NTFS OS can't recognize disk over 2TB unless the disks are converted to GPT partition instead of MBR partition.

) Happy RAIDing.

Phil

19-10-2009 17:43:57

[/quote1e7zx0gi]

And you have all your data backed up I take it? In RAID 0 if a single drive fails you lose everything.

MockY

19-10-2009 23:02:45

And you have all your data backed up I take it? In RAID 0 if a single drive fails you lose everything.[/quote2t8k6ynu]

Hehe, absolutely. It would hurt quite a bit if I lost it, so yeah, I have it all backed up.