Release the source code or charge money

MenoRikey

16-04-2009 16:45:08

This is why open source software will never become mainstream. Vibestreamer is one of the many "free" software I've used, that just languishes. It's always the same thing excuse, "I do this on my free time so you're lucky you get anything". I would rather the developer just not release anything at all, instead of releasing something then letting it sit there.

Or better yet, charge something. Most people would be willing to pay to get regular updates and new versions.

I GUARANTEE the response I get from this will be along the lines of "it's free, don't complain" bullsh*t. The developer releases a product, their users spend their free time testing it giving feedback, and then the developer disappears, or gives an attitude when you ask about the status of it. If you're not committed to a project, then don't do it at all or charge for it.

Yukiko

17-04-2009 08:59:29

[quote3vhn0qby]This is why open source software will never become mainstream.[/quote3vhn0qby]

I think your argument about open source doesn't apply here since Vibe is not open source. At least I am not aware that Siit has made his source code available. Maybe you would be better saying "This is why [i3vhn0qby][b3vhn0qby]free[/b3vhn0qby][/i3vhn0qby] software will never become mainstream." To say that open source is not mainstream is, I think, an odd thing since Linux, Java, MySQL, PHP, <insert any other large open source project here> are pretty well active and alive.

As far as your point about spare time projects, I agree. But this is not only limited to free software. I pay for a CD ripping program and sometimes it is slow in getting new releases out but again it is being developed by one person. So even if you pay or not I think it's about the size of the development staff rather than if it's a free or paid project.

However are there any other streaming projects that compares with version 2.06 of Vibe? I have looked at two others and they don't meet my needs. Version 2 is fine for me but I would be willing to look at other streaming solutions but please PM me if you have any rather than posting links on the forums.

Don't get me wrong. I am frustrated waiting for version 3 of Vibe but like I said so far it meets my needs as it is.

Also, I don't recall Siit saying anything about us complainers griping about the slowness. I think he has been fairly decent toward us as we post our impatience to him. I for one admit I am impatient but then again I have not donated a dime to Siit so I really have no reason to expect anything more than what I have now.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth on the subject.