User Load

fritter

08-08-2008 03:35:28

I haven't tried this out at school yet which is what I want to use it for but about how many people do you think could use vibe streamer without it starting to crawl? We got about 50 guys in the house

kjparenteau

08-08-2008 05:49:13

Using Vibe Streamer and going to remote locations, your biggest bottleneck is going to be your upload from your ISP at your home location. Do you know what your upload speed is from your ISP?

Currently the way Vibe Streamer works is it basically streams the Mp3 file "as is" without any re-encoding process. So say you have "File A.mp3" which is 4 minutes long, and encoded at 320 Kbps, and is about 10 megs right? Well if that same "File A.mp3" song is encoded at 128 Kbps or so, the file size is greatly decreased down to like 3-4 megs, which is much easier to transfer obviously. The key here is that allows your buffer (stream of the mp3) to keep ahead of the actual song progress.

I tested this on a 1.5 meg upload and was barely able to keep the buffer ahead of the song on 5 connections at the same time. But it still had enough to keep ahead of all the streams to not skip the songs. Most files were at 192 Kbps.

Another thing to consider is trying this out using the LAN at your school. If you have a laptop with your tunes on it, you can set Vibe Streamer up on that, and broadcast through the LAN which will obviously support that load 10 times easier. Just a thought with that.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. )

CoDEmanX

09-08-2008 06:14:38

what are you trying to do fritter?

fritter

11-08-2008 06:14:45

I have a seperate file/web server running on a pc and I have vibestreamer running on the same one. Guys in my house upload there music to a music folder via the file/web server and then vibestreamer grabs the music from there and index's it. Then on weekends when we party we all log into the vibestreamer and use this for all of our tunes. It's all on a LAN so i wondered how well it would work with 50 guys. Haven't tested it out since this will be our first year with all this setup

CoDEmanX

11-08-2008 23:36:33

is one of you supposed to be the DJ and the others will listen to his music?

or everyone will listen to his own playlist?

fritter

12-08-2008 03:31:54

everyone has his own playlist. Would it be better if everyone used the same logon or each his own?

CoDEmanX

12-08-2008 03:39:06

each person should have his own account.

100 mbit LAN 50 people = 256 kb/s for each user per second

the real bottle-neck will be the server's cpu and hdd. At a connection speed of 100 mbit/s --> 2048 kbit/s each (mp3 at maximum quality 320 kbit/s).