Portable/External Vibe Streamer Development

Amish

02-06-2008 21:42:37

Ok so, badically I've been thinking of a way to get vibe working on an iPhone/iPod Touch.

If you have either of the two, visit www.dnbradio.com click on the live stream and wifi. Note that the ipods interface is VERY different from the normal website. dnbradio is a radio station which is obviously live, but you can also request music.

So I had an idea. Why can we make a simple skin, where a user can make a playlist, and do whatnot. A REALLY simple skin. Then a user can set up a playlist. Then use what DnB radio does, and simple tune into that stream. If siit could set up something on the server that aftr you login, you can do www.HOST.com8081/stream.mp3 The user could then stream and it woudl run through the playlist. By far is this an amazing breakthrough but it might just work. And quite well I hope

The ipods when streaming music, can ONLY stream music sadly. So no other web browsing is possible. But if a user wants to change songs, then they can simple exit the stream, choose a differnt song and go back in. Meh

What do you guys think.

I personally might give it a shot, with the help of siit of course. id have to learn how to program for vibe but bahh. Worth it.

~Amish

siit

04-06-2008 01:19:11

This sure is interesting. Although this might work, this would require some big server implementations that I'm not really sure are required. And even if it would be required, I don't want to make any additions to the server that are focused on a single platform.

I've been playing around with this for a while, mostly focusing on a solution for a single skin for usage on multiple portable platforms, and also for simple usage on consoles, and I think it's very doable without too much work really.

What I'm suggesting really is that a "Mini" skin should be created.. with much simpler functionality than the standard skin, such as simpler browsing, users online list, album cover.. and not much more than that as a start.

Such a thing can be very easily built with a nice code and structure that should work on most platforms. The important thing in the skin would be the "/platform" folder in it's structure.. where each platform can have their own js,css (for browser differences) and player code.. so everything in the skin will be generic, except for how the platform actually plays the audio..

As a note on that I've looked up both PS3, Wii and Xbox360 and it seems that creating a player for these are very possible.. and I reckon then it's just a matter of finding whatever player possibilities the requested platform has and the skin can easily be adjusted for this platform aswell. As long as it's kept simple and everything except the player is kept generic..

Well, this didn't really answer to the iphone issue, since this is still something that has to be solved, but there just has got to be a way to play mp3 through the iphone is some less complicated way..

Well then.. one thing I'm actually requesting now then is if there are some people interested in working with the design/usability for such a skin. I will give all my support from a code point of view.. but since that part is quite easy with the new version of vibe, the main thing of importance is really to have a concept and design to work with..

So if anyone are interested, send me a PM or keep discussing here in the thread..

kjparenteau

04-06-2008 03:01:26

One thing I would like to add to this category of the "slim" skin is support for Blackberry. I would be more than happy to test it out and provide feedback however I don't believe I would be able to create it. I currently have the 8330 Curve from Verizon right now as a FYI.

Amish

17-06-2008 21:12:07

Siit yeah. Well the server can be moddified to output the stream to an MP3 file www.HOST.com8081/stream.mp3 so when clicking play, you can tune into the stream and get it working, much like shoutcast, Then i believe i can get a working copy on an ipod. D

CoDEmanX

05-08-2008 07:42:37

i just had a similar idea, like a small addon to the normal VS

- an admin or moderator creates a playlist
- on a website is a small player
- it uses the playlist and plays all songs
- the user can always select another song

so basically a music player for a website, using VS in the background

like the myspace music player http//www.myspace.com/denoisia

but this would require guest account, where no password and login is needed

siit

05-08-2008 15:02:33

Yea this would be a nice feature. I'd definately use it myself for my record label. This should be possible by

1) Create a share with the songs in the playlist (Since we need to keep htem from playing other songs on the server)
2) Create a user that can only access these shares.
3) Create a playlist for that user, adding these shares.
4) Create a small new "site" template, with a "myspace-like" player that lists playlists and the items there.
5) Install the new site (sites.xml), setting it to http//<vibeserverurl>/miniplayer and set anonymous user to the user you just created.

So well, much much possible, the only hard work really is to create the skin/site itself.

CoDEmanX

06-08-2008 19:54:38

beside that VS Miniplayer, what about a VS Microplayer?

[img70oat1vu]http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/ab5jbszb/sshot5.png[/img70oat1vu]

required embed parameter to select the song, e.g.

<param name="song" value="Artist_-_Demosong.mp3"></param>