host files on separate server

dspdrew

28-03-2008 03:23:36

Any developer know if it would be possible to change the relative path to the files to an absolute path located on a different server? and if so, where in the code would I find that path to be changed?... or would the different protocol be a problem...

ddindia

18-06-2008 02:26:35

I'm no developer, but I bet I'll be able to help you out 8)

If you want to index files on a local server (one on the same network as the Vibe Streamer), you can just use the UNC path.
For an example we'll assume "ServerA" has your music files, shared as "Music" and "ServerB" has Vibe Streamer installed and running.
Using Vibe Streamer on ServerB under the Sharing tab, you would add a path using the following UNC, "\\ServerA\Music". You can also use administrative shares if you don't have shared folders (administrative paths are absolute, for example "\\ServerA\C$\Data\Music\VibeStreamer" is equivalent to C\Data\Music\VibeStreamer on the local machine).

If you need to access the files remotely (maybe you have faster hosting storage), this can be more challenging to do and I can't guarantee my method will work. The best program I've seen for this is FTP Drive ([url1x3tlhtc]http://www.killprog.com/fdrve.html[/url1x3tlhtc]). You would use this to map the remote path as a local drive letter, and then add it as a you would a local path in Vibe Streamer. The benefit of FTP Drive is it's supposed to stream files directly from FTP server without pre-downloading whole file first.

Post a reply if you need any help or clarification!

Dave

madman22

02-08-2008 00:07:59

if you wanted to host the files remotely, you could setup a VPN then map the network drive.

EX

Use Hamachi from logmein.com(free version). Install on both computers, on the computer running Vibe, go to the command prompt, type "net use x " then type the hamachi IP of the other computer (should be in the 5. range) then the name of the shared folder.

Then when you setup a share in Vibe, just select the X drive you just made and the files you want.

You could also use net use on a LAN to get a drive name.