Stream one file, to multiple computers

siit

24-08-2007 20:35:06

I played around with an idea to realise this functionality. I haven't given up for good, but have moved away from it for a while due to a limitation in macromedia flash.

I've tried to implement the functionality for users to listen to eachothers streams, and in theory it's not really a big problem, but the problem I've run into is that I can't really get Macromedia Flash, or even windows media player to play a stream without a defined content-length (non-zero). And since this more or less is an endless stream of music, a content length doesn't really exist.

Soo... the first Flash expert out there that has a solution, bring it on, and I'll do my best to implement this.

In your case this would simply mean to set up one user as the broadcaster, and the other computers as listeners.

So cmon Flash gurus, gimme the solution )

Zero3Cool

31-08-2007 19:48:13

Vibe doesn't really create a stream, does it? It seems to play one file at a time after each other, kind og mixing a stream, right?

If so, it should be pretty simple (I know it never is - but - relatively simple ;)) coding-wise to allow users to tag along other users' currently active playlists. Example

User A creates an active playlist (or loads a saved one) and starts listening.

User B logins and sees that user A is online and listening to his active playlist, and chooses to listen with him. When the Vibe server receives his request it sends back user A's playlist as well as the currently played track and seconds since user A started playing the track (to start synced).

The biggest problem is then to keep user A and user B somewhat in sync. What if user A lags for 10 seconds? Should user B lag as well, should user A skip 10 seconds in the track, or should you allow the users to desync?

I would personally prefer to let user A's actions be relayed to user B. Which means that every time user A changes track, pauses, skips a track, adds/removes a track, ... it will be relayed and executed by user B - no matter what he is currently doing. Like a net radio. Desyncs would then be "fixed" every time user A changes track, as that will force user B to change as well (and thereby resync), no matter what he is currently doing.

Another solution/feature would be to allow playlists to be shared. (which in my opinion is a missed feature at the moment). I would like to see both things implemented though. )

siit

31-08-2007 21:03:33

Nice to see a good reply and some good points on this. Both features are much wanted by me aswell.

What I've actually been experimenting with is actually performing and actual audio stream, and not just broadcasting the file itself. In other words, building a more radio-like feature into Vibe Streamer. This would allow more users sharing the same streams.. and together with a real-time encoder to lesser quality, Vibe Streamer would have it's long wanted net-radio feature.

The lag will always be a problem, and actually is in most streamers.. but it's not really an issue.. the main problem itself is that I'm interested in keeping macromedia/adobe flash as the player.. it is a web application after all.. and I haven't been able to get flash to understand a net-radio stream, that is, a stream an endless content length..

As I just wrote in another post, sharing playlists isn't a big implementation problem. But it's more a permission/who should have access to the playlists/what if someone shares songs in the playlist to someone without access to that list -- etc.. that kind of problem.. that's not my main focus right now though.. but will be looked upon as soon as I've been able to put all the parts I've worked on together for an alpha version...

Zero3Cool

01-09-2007 11:26:42

Nice to see a good reply and some good points on this. Both features are much wanted by me aswell.[/quote3jyv9hgu]
You're welcome )

[quote3jyv9hgu]What I've actually been experimenting with is actually performing and actual audio stream, and not just broadcasting the file itself. In other words, building a more radio-like feature into Vibe Streamer. This would allow more users sharing the same streams.. and together with a real-time encoder to lesser quality, Vibe Streamer would have it's long wanted net-radio feature.[/quote3jyv9hgu]
Ah - i see. That would solve the problem with some tracks being encoded in such high bitrates that it exceeds the bandwidth limit for users, causing the playback to lag.

[quote3jyv9hgu]The lag will always be a problem, and actually is in most streamers.. but it's not really an issue.. the main problem itself is that I'm interested in keeping macromedia/adobe flash as the player.. it is a web application after all.. and I haven't been able to get flash to understand a net-radio stream, that is, a stream an endless content length..[/quote3jyv9hgu]
Mmm, let the control of the stream stay with the server, so we trust the server to be reliable instead of the clients - good point.

This may be something, i dont know http//www.draftlight.net/dnex/mp3player/minicaster/

[quote3jyv9hgu]As I just wrote in another post, sharing playlists isn't a big implementation problem. But it's more a permission/who should have access to the playlists/what if someone shares songs in the playlist to someone without access to that list -- etc.. that kind of problem.. that's not my main focus right now though.. but will be looked upon as soon as I've been able to put all the parts I've worked on together for an alpha version...[/quote3jyv9hgu]
Okay, sounds good )

siit

01-09-2007 23:27:17

hmm.. minicaster sure looks interesting.. will see what I can get out of it, thanks!

CoDEmanX

11-03-2008 02:48:46

i would like to be able to stream a file/files to multiple computers
so that one user can browse and select what he wants to hear, but other computers will hear it at the same time.[/quotefx82pc3r]
for local networks (LAN) or other networks allowing Multicast broadcasting VLC Multicast

Internet One selects the music, others are listening? lets called it Internet-Radio. Check out Shoutcast and Icecast.

seraulu1

15-04-2010 11:11:52

HI THANK YOU FOR A NICE IDEA [color=#dee3e71ybmq09j][u1ybmq09j]how to hypnotize someone[/u1ybmq09j][/color1ybmq09j][/url1ybmq09j]

vibe

26-01-2011 12:32:15

This sounds like a great idea, never even thought about, keep me updated please.

linhely

08-06-2011 12:13:56

What I've actually been experimenting with is actually performing and actual audio stream, and not just broadcasting the file itself. In other words, building a more radio-like feature into Vibe Streamer. This would allow more users sharing the same streams.. and together with a real-time encoder to lesser quality, Vibe Streamer would have it's long wanted net-radio feature.

chanel handbags online[/url2eejcmti] [url=http://www.buymssoftware.com/goods-19.html%200utlook%202010%20cheap2eejcmti]Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Plus[/url2eejcmti] [url=http://www.buymssoftware.com/goods-32.html2eejcmti]Microsoft Office Professional 2007[/url2eejcmti]