Vibe Streamer and "Wine"

siit

16-11-2006 13:57:52

Are there any Linux users out there that would like to try out if the current release of Vibe Streamer is possible to run on Linux through the use of "Wine"? (www.winehq.com)

I don't really have access to a linux machine or the time to try it out, but it would be really nice to see if it works or not )

//siit

Hack_To_Learn

16-11-2006 17:39:04

I recomend using a Linux Live Cd, Preferably Knoppix, its free and easy to use. It has "wine" preinstalled in the OS, just burn the disk with the Knoppix disk image, insert the disk, reboot the pc, and tell it to bood from the Cd drive. You might want to have the program u want to run in wine on a seperate cd or a removeable drive. You don't need to have the Knoppix cd in the cd drive after if boots up.

heres a link <A HREF="http//www.knoppix.net">Knoppix</A>

dAEk

19-11-2006 17:59:51

I just had a whack at it and it installs just fine under Linux/Ubuntu. When I connect from a browser (on Windows), the flash player frame does not display correctly, instead I get some javascript output (in Firefox)

[code2sf7r8q8]var g_browser = detect_browser(); var g_arrTracksToUpdate = new Array(); // tracks the executeframe should[...][/code2sf7r8q8]

Actually when I look closer, the source code is being chopped off at line 416
[code2sf7r8q8]g_objPlayin[/code2sf7r8q8]

Herman

10-02-2007 19:39:57

I can confirm the previous message, running 2.06 on wine / Ubuntu 6.10.
I can connect locally (http//127.0.0.1etc, Firefox, Flash 9) - in that case the upper frame is showed correct, only directory browsing does not work it says "Loading Directories..." but does not show them.
When I connect to the server via LAN with a Windows PC (using IE!) I see the output as mentioned by dAEk.

Any suggestion is appreciated - however a Linux port would be the best of course ;-)

inf3c73d

13-02-2007 22:50:07

i vote with two hands for a Linux port of Vibe!!!

siit

15-02-2007 11:31:14

patience.. patience )

Herman

17-02-2007 16:52:56

Basicly, I'm not that far from a working situation there seem to be 2 problems.
First of all I can work with Vibestreamer locally, as long I play files from the same disk as where the filesystem is onl.

First problem I have about 500 directories, 43 Gb on another disk, NTFS filesystem, mounted. I cannot see them in the webinterface, however the program can index these directories - they don't show up in the browser. What I do get is a huge CPU load (15 up to 20+) when I try to view them in Firefox.

Second problem I can only see the upper frame in the webbrowser correct when I locally connect to the webserver. As soon I connect from another PC, I see nothing (in Internet Explorer) or script code (Firefox).
A friend of mine who is programmer says that the problem is in the variables - they are not set for some reason. What I don't understand is why it does work locally though.

If anybody has a suggestion how one or both problems can be fixed...

TuRfYMaN

18-02-2007 09:18:54

Not really helpful (sorry), but I can confirm that when running VibeStreamer under Wine in Ubuntu 6.10, the web GUI is visible locally, but remotely (with FF 2.0) I just get what looks like PHP in the top frame and white everywhere else. I will be so excited when this gets ported! D

-Tom

rkillcrazy

13-12-2007 03:38:02

2 questions...

1 = Is there a version (alpha, beta or other) for linux yet? If so, can we test?

2 = I have it running on Ubuntu 7.10 with wine. How can I have VibeStreamer run at startup? I figured I could use the following but it says it cannot find the file or something of the sort
[code38ozg5ez]
wine "c:\Program Files\VibeStreamer\vibestreamer.exe"
[/code38ozg5ez]

siit

13-12-2007 22:46:21

There is no compiled version of vibe streamer for linux.
While coding for the next version I've made sure only to use portable libraries and code, but it's a bit trickier than that. But for now my main focus is on completing that version for win32, then we'll see..

stealth1989

02-06-2008 02:42:52

I have a vibe streamer server installed and running in wine perfectly, using ubuntu 8.04.

All computers that connect can stream without problem and everything seems to be functioning well.

I also wouldnt mind having it run at startup but im guessing something in the wine config would need to be changed for that? or a setting, ive not really looked into it much, i was just surprised that it worked without problems in wine at all!

danno

05-06-2008 22:19:35

I have a vibe streamer server installed and running in wine perfectly, using ubuntu 8.04.

All computers that connect can stream without problem and everything seems to be functioning well.

I also wouldnt mind having it run at startup but im guessing something in the wine config would need to be changed for that? or a setting, ive not really looked into it much, i was just surprised that it worked without problems in wine at all![/quote1udhwtrg]

Works just great for me. I also have not figured out how to have it auto-start.

MockY

11-06-2008 20:56:58

Works just great for me. I also have not figured out how to have it auto-start.[/quote2exemzo1]

Using Ubuntu, you could probably do the following

[code2exemzo1]System - Preferences - Sessions[/code2exemzo1]

Click the Startup Program tab and add Vibestreamer. Let me know if it doesn't work. If not, then I'll try it out myself on one of my Ubuntu servers.