Need Help - Suddenly Stopped Working

BUMM3R

22-10-2009 06:26:25

Windows Vista
Vibe Streamer 3.0
Windows Firewall Off
Exception added to Windows Firewall Anyway
Router Firewall - Port Forwarded (8081)

For a month or so, the program worked flawlessly. Kudos to the creator. But as of 4 days ago, I can't get it to work. The only thing that had recently changed was about the same time, I had installed Peer Guardian and read somewhere on here that this may be my problem. I disabled and exitted the program with no difference. So I uninstalled Peer Guardian all together. No luck. I have read everything I can possible find here and I have had no success. Please help or tell me what info I need to provide.

Right now, VS starts with no problems. But I cannot navigate to the login screen either internally or externally. I have the "settings" tab in VS set to 0.0.0.08081. I have tried localhost8081, <my computer ip>8081 and also my DynDNS addy as well ([url2at8iogw]http://jukebox.webhop.net:8081[/url2at8iogw]). And yes, my ip is up to date through DynDNS. When I navigate to any of those addresses, I get either an all blank screen or a 404 Error.

I have read in some other articles that may or may not be related that spoke about java being disabled in my browser. Well, it wasn't disabled, it was never changed, and none of the computers internally or externally have been disabled.

[b2at8iogw]I miss my VS server.[/b2at8iogw]

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

22-10-2009 18:22:32

Have you tried doing a system restore prior to the Peer Guardian installation? Sounds like the Peer Guardian changed something that has stuck around even after uninstalling it.

BUMM3R

22-10-2009 19:31:42

Have you tried doing a system restore prior to the Peer Guardian installation? Sounds like the Peer Guardian changed something that has stuck around even after uninstalling it.[/quote1auiei9h]
As a matter of fact, yes. I went 2 days prior to that installation. I even uninstalled and reinstalled VS. Now I have not gone into the registry to check for remnants of Peer Guardian. Should that be my next step? All signs do point towards Peer Guardian as the culprit. Do you agree?

Phil

22-10-2009 19:37:23

It certainly appears that way. Backup your registry before making any changes to it.

Are all network related services working as normal (e.g., browsing the web, collecting e-mail, etc.)? Have you tried changing the port?

BUMM3R

22-10-2009 19:46:47

It certainly appears that way. Backup your registry before making any changes to it.

Are all network related services working as normal (e.g., browsing the web, collecting e-mail, etc.)? Have you tried changing the port?[/quote6yu3tbsj]
Yes, all other network functions appear normal. I am at work right now. It seems I go home and do research for this VS issue all night for the last few nights. So, I will check out the registry this evening and report back.

Can you think of anything else that I can look into this evening?

BTW, thank you for responding and any help you can offer.

Phil

22-10-2009 20:07:29

I'd try changing the port first and if that doesn't help go hunting for Peer Guardian remnants in the registry. Sounds like you've covered most everything else...

BUMM3R

22-10-2009 21:43:33

I'd try changing the port first and if that doesn't help go hunting for Peer Guardian remnants in the registry. Sounds like you've covered most everything else...[/quote2udnde2j]
Thanks. I will check into it and see what I can find.

BUMM3R

23-10-2009 15:55:06

[b1z6h4cx5]Update[/b1z6h4cx5]

• I did a search in the registry for anything with "peer", "peer guardian", "peerguardian" and "pg2". Nothing came up.
• I ran a registry cleaner using Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.
• Tried VS again using all possible addresses...no luck. Why can I not even navigate to localhost??? Same results as my first post.
• Changed the port in VS and my router firewall to 8001 and 8008. Same result. Changed it back to the original 8081. No luck.
• Checked each of the ports above, including the original 8081 using canyouseeme.org. In all cases, the ports were opened correctly.
• Ran netstat -o to check on 8081. It was in there with as PID 0. PID 0 does not show up in task manager.

I am at a loss now. Has anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas of anything else I can check? I ended up reinstalling Peer Guardian to see if I could add the addresses as an exception to see if that made any difference. Nothing I do is changing my current state. At this point, I am not sold on Peer Guardian being the culprit simply because I have done everything I know to do to wipe it off my system. But then again, I am stumped. Do I need to kiss my VS goodbye?

[b1z6h4cx5][i1z6h4cx5]HELP![/i1z6h4cx5][/b1z6h4cx5]

Phil

23-10-2009 17:21:20

You can't navigate to localhost (127.0.0.1) because either it's being blocked or the service is not running. What do you mean you tried all possible addresses? You should only need to use the default 0.0.0.0 and do not worry about your router settings until you can get it to work locally.

Running a 'netstat -a -o' shows a PID of 5700. I thought PID zero was reserved for the system idle process?
[code3diymmdz]Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP philip-xp:8081 philip-xp:0 LISTENING 5700[/code3diymmdz]

I would really try to first connect to Vibe Streamer using the default settings and if that works go from there.

BUMM3R

23-10-2009 18:25:12

You can't navigate to localhost (127.0.0.1) because either it's being blocked or the service is not running. What do you mean you tried all possible addresses? You should only need to use the default 0.0.0.0 and do not worry about your router settings until you can get it to work locally.

Running a 'netstat -a -o' shows a PID of 5700. I thought PID zero was reserved for the system idle process?
[code2n8refz2]Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP philip-xp:8081 philip-xp:0 LISTENING 5700[/code2n8refz2]

I would really try to first connect to Vibe Streamer using the default settings and if that works go from there.[/quote2n8refz2]
We I say all possible addresses, I mean I have tried connecting through my computer, other computers on my network and externally. From my computer, I try localhost8081 and 127.0.0.18081. From network computers I try (my actual computer ip)8081 and externally through my DynDNS addy. My settings tab in VS has never changed...it has always been set to 0.0.0.0. I have only ever changed the port when I tried it through other ports.

I will check again using netstat -o this evening. But, last night, it showed PID 0. And that PID is not listed in task manager.

How do I check to see if 127.0.0.1 is being blocked or not? And as for VS, starting the service has never been an issue. Clicking start shows that it is connected to 0.0.0.0 on port 8081 in the VS main log window.

Right now, my VS is completely set to default settings along with my router port forwarding. It is set to the same exact settings that I used to use when it worked fine. I even clicked the "default settings" button to make sure.

I think I will try to uninstall VS again and do a full reinstall. Where all should I look for VS remnants after uninstallation?

Any other thoughts?

siit

23-10-2009 18:27:08

[quote2ea9frrm]I think I will try to uninstall VS again and do a full reinstall. Where all should I look for VS remnants after uninstallation? [/quote2ea9frrm]

Vibe Streamer should only leave files in the directory where you installed it. I only use the registry for storing information regarding the location of you Vibe Streamer installation and your version.

Phil

23-10-2009 18:36:28

Can you ping 127.0.0.18081 or even just 127.0.0.1 without the port?

[code1s9aplpl]C:\>ping 127.0.0.1:8081

Pinging 127.0.0.1:8081 [208.67.219.132] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.67.219.132: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 208.67.219.132: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 208.67.219.132: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55
Reply from 208.67.219.132: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 208.67.219.132:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 16ms

C:\>[/code1s9aplpl]

You can also check the PID using Process Explorer http//technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

BUMM3R

23-10-2009 20:49:23

Thanks guys. I will add this to my trials when I get home. Wish me luck and thanks again for the help.

BUMM3R

24-10-2009 01:36:44

[b2s891mp8]Update[/b2s891mp8]

• I uninstalled VS.
• Deleted any string or key in my registry that had *vibe* in it.
• Confirmed that the VS folder was gone in Program Files.
• Removed the port forward from my router firewall.
• Rebooted the computer.
• Reinstalled VS.
• Forwarded the port through the router firewall (see image below).
• Started VS successfully (see image below)
Note[/color2s891mp8] Shared directories were still listed oddly enough...makes me think that VS exists elsewhere as well.
• Still no change at all when trying to navigate to my VS service, internally or externally.
• Ran netstat - PID listed properly for 8081 port. (see image below)
• Ran ping checks. Pings successful without port number only (see image below).

[img2s891mp8]http://prostarair.com/files/misc/Firewall_Screen.gif[/img2s891mp8]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[img2s891mp8]http://prostarair.com/files/misc/VS_Screen.gif[/img2s891mp8]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[img2s891mp8]http://prostarair.com/files/misc/CMD_Screen.gif[/img2s891mp8]

My original problem still exists...I cannot navigate to my VS server internally or externally. I am at a lost. I do not have any idea what to do next. Maybe I need to find out where else VS is storing my shared directory information and try a full uninstall again.

Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try? This is so frustrating to a novice computer guy like myself. Thanks for sharing in my frustrations.
8)

BUMM3R

24-10-2009 02:05:15

[b2treh27x]Solution Found!!![/b2treh27x]

Don't ask me how or why...I just know my VS server is back. D

I found another thread on here [url2treh27x]http://www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717[/url2treh27x] where user skc13 was having basically the same issue. His resolution fixed my problem as well. Thank you skc13.

You can in fact find additional VS files (on Vista at least) that are not located in the Program Files folder. Vista (or VS) places 2 folders at [i2treh27x]C\Users\Jerry\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Vibe Streamer[/i2treh27x].

I stopped my VS service and exited the program. Then I deleted the whole folder above. Then, I opened and started my VS server and it works perfectly again. I had to recreate my users, preferences and shared directories. But it works again.

I left the Virtual Store window open when I restarted VS and it added the folder back to the same location. There were less files this time. But that was partly because of having to recreate the db files and maybe due to all the uninstall and reinstalls I've had to go through. But, it is fixed!!

I hope this helps anyone else that has this issue in the future. And, thank you Phil for your help.

Phil

26-10-2009 17:45:45

You're welcome. Glad you got it going again!