Playlists and Genre's?

Sheekamoo

07-10-2009 04:46:13

I've been looking for a great MP3 web streaming app and so far Vibe Streamer fits the bill for all but 2 things.

1.) Is there no playlist support? It looks like that may have been an option in past versions, but it is no longer supported in the latest 3.0 version? If so, are there any plans to support that feature in the future?

2.) Is there no way to sort music by Genre? It looks like you can only sort music by it's physical folder architecture. This works... but it's a bit of a pain for me to use since I heavily organize my music into different folders and sub-folders. Preferably, I'd like to be able to have a new section below "Directories" called "Genre's." Within that directory, you can sort by a specific genre, and then have all artists within that genre displayed.

#2 is much more important to me then #1. Are those features in the works? Or is there some way to make them available right now?

I love the software so far. It's much cleaner and simpler then other things I've tried. I can feel comfortable giving my wife and family access to this and know that they won't feel like it's too complicated.

EDIT Nevermind... found the playlist option under Users and Groups... very cool.

I just want to know about Genre support )

MockY

07-10-2009 07:45:47

To each his own off course, but I have no idea why you would sort your collection by genre. What is a genre anyway. For example, is Five Finger Dearth Punch, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Death Metal, Screamo, or plain ol' rock? And U2, are they Pop, Rock, Alternative, Alternative Rock, Mainstream, Adult Conteporary.....? The list goes on, and you can see my point. If you are the only one using it, then you mentally know what genre you put a certain artist in, but different people categorize groups vastly differently and hence, it would be hard to find things and the player would be hard to use, something you seem to NOT want at all.

Now when my rant is over (don't take it personal, I always find it odd when people use genres as a method of sorting), I don't really know what your issue is. If genres is such a big deal to you, why don't you have it sorted like that in your file system? That way it shows up just fine in VS.
Furthermore, in the future, ID tags will be indexed and you could use the search function in order to find all artists within a specific genre. It is probably not what you are looking for but it is a way to display a specific genre anyway.

Sheekamoo

07-10-2009 09:57:33

To each his own off course, but I have no idea why you would sort your collection by genre. What is a genre anyway. For example, is Five Finger Dearth Punch, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Death Metal, Screamo, or plain ol' rock? And U2, are they Pop, Rock, Alternative, Alternative Rock, Mainstream, Adult Conteporary.....? The list goes on, and you can see my point. If you are the only one using it, then you mentally know what genre you put a certain artist in, but different people categorize groups vastly differently and hence, it would be hard to find things and the player would be hard to use, something you seem to NOT want at all.

Now when my rant is over (don't take it personal, I always find it odd when people use genres as a method of sorting), I don't really know what your issue is. If genres is such a big deal to you, why don't you have it sorted like that in your file system? That way it shows up just fine in VS.
Furthermore, in the future, ID tags will be indexed and you could use the search function in order to find all artists within a specific genre. It is probably not what you are looking for but it is a way to display a specific genre anyway.[/quote1gbdn17d]

I'm unsure why you had to go on a rant about why I like to use genre's. Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, iPods, the Zune, and countless other media players allow you to sort by genre.

I get what you're saying about finding an artist by genre. If you already know the artists genre, then why not go straight to the artist?

But like to use genre's to play music randomly. I like to select "Indie Rock" as a genre and listen to all my the music played randomly within that genre. Some days I may not want to listen to indie rock, so I may chose "Smooth Jazz." Other times, I may go straight to an artists.

You shouldn't assume that the way you listen to music is the same way I listen to music.

In any case, I appreciate your reply and I am happy to hear that ID3 tags will be supported by search in the future. That would work out just fine for me. I could search for "Indie Rock" and then choose to play all of those songs.

Yukiko

07-10-2009 13:55:36

Even if a feature might be somewhat (or even very) ambiguous when used, such as "sort by genre, I am all for it being there. I see MockY's point about it being hard to categorize an artist sometimes but there are some artists/songs that are easily categorized. I use genre in my audio books to classify the subject matter as well. I admit I rarely use genre as sort criteria but I do know some who use it

Now if you really want a useless feature/tag, let's talk about [i1mld8e2q]Rating[/i1mld8e2q].
Well, let's not because it'd be off-topic. )

MockY

07-10-2009 23:17:05

I like to select "Indie Rock" as a genre and listen to all my the music played randomly within that genre.[/quote23ht4imw]
My point being, what exactly is Indie Rock? Some people would put Inspiral Carpets and The Hives in that category while others would maybe put them in Rock or even Pop. Hence, if you are planning to supply VibeStreamer for more people than you, finding artists when forced to use Genres could be hard, if not down right frustrating.

I'm not bashing on you. Obviously we are all different an no way of sorting is the correct way (since every method is). I was just questioning how "user friendly" the player would be if it's based on genre.