Vibe Streamer 3.0 Bug reports

MockY

27-09-2009 21:45:52

Since there is none, I'll create one.

Windows 2003 Server - Standard Edition

The previous issue I had with the admin GUI "frooze" is not solved nor is it easy to determine the cause. However, once I closed it and started it up again, everything worked like it should once again and all the playlists were saved.

However, I noticed that I have to restart VS at least once every 2 days. The user(s) gets "lost connection" message and the only way to fix it is to restart VS. Once restarted, it runs fine for another 2 days. VS2 never did this.

I also noticed that VS3 indexes .txt files, even though I have excluded them in the Admin GUI.

Also, I renamed all albums in one of the artist folders from [i3p51md9i]Album (Year)[/i3p51md9i] to [i3p51md9i]Year - Album[/i3p51md9i] and when selecting "Index New Files Only" the renamed folders did show up, but the old ones did as well. Since these are not new I understand that they were still there, but since the fact that they are not there anymore, I figured they would be considered as new and therefore removed.
This is obviously not a bug, nor anything that I find odd, but sometime down the road it would be nice if non existing folders would be removed. I guess a full index is required, and I'm totally fine with that. But I figured I would mention it anyway.

dr3w2k

29-09-2009 17:14:37

Working pretty well for me but my issue is with CPU usage.

Running on Server 2003. VibeStreamer constantly sits at 91-97 CPU even with no users connected and indexing not taking place.

siit

29-09-2009 19:24:38

[quote3tojcl11]The previous issue I had with the admin GUI "frooze" is not solved nor is it easy to determine the cause. However, once I closed it and started it up again, everything worked like it should once again and all the playlists were saved. [/quote3tojcl11]

Yea that can be a hard bug to catch. But keep me posted if it ever happens again. Until then I'll go through the gui code a quickie to look for any obvious causes.

[quote3tojcl11]However, I noticed that I have to restart VS at least once every 2 days. The user(s) gets "lost connection" message and the only way to fix it is to restart VS. Once restarted, it runs fine for another 2 days. [/quote3tojcl11]

Are you telling me that you cannot even connect to the server again after a while? But can you click the stop/start button to get it running fine again? Any detailed info on this one would be great.

[quote3tojcl11]I also noticed that VS3 indexes .txt files, even though I have excluded them in the Admin GUI. [/quote3tojcl11]

Can anyone else test and confirm this?

[quote3tojcl11]Also, I renamed all albums in one of the artist folders from Album (Year) to Year - Album and when selecting "Index New Files Only" the renamed folders did show up, but the old ones did as well. Since these are not new I understand that they were still there, but since the fact that they are not there anymore, I figured they would be considered as new and therefore removed. [/quote3tojcl11]

Well it's not a bug really. That thing is pretty much all that differs the two indexing methods. The "index new files only" function skips validating existing files and folders to see if they exist, since that is the thing taking up 90% of the indexing time. So for now, this is the way it will have to be. But if I find out another way to improve it i will do it for sure.

[quote3tojcl11]Running on Server 2003. VibeStreamer constantly sits at 91-97 CPU even with no users connected and indexing not taking place.[/quote3tojcl11]

The obvious questions first Are you running the last stable version (3.0.0) and did you uninstall any existing versions or betas before you installed the new one?

Further questions If you just start the application and dont start the server (by clicking the "start" button), does the CPU still run high? If not, does it run high as soon as you click the start button or does it run high as soon as someone logs on, or starts streaming? Try to find out exactly when the CPU starts to rise and it will be of much help.

.. and as always, anyone else experiencing any of these bugs, keep me posted and I'll have em fixed as soon as I find em.

MockY

30-09-2009 18:33:24

[quote38zsto9d]Yea that can be a hard bug to catch. But keep me posted if it ever happens again. Until then I'll go through the gui code a quickie to look for any obvious causes. [/quote38zsto9d]
This is not a major issue. The server was still running fine and since the settings were saved upon exit, I simply restarted when no one was connected.
[quote38zsto9d]Are you telling me that you cannot even connect to the server again after a while? But can you click the stop/start button to get it running fine again? Any detailed info on this one would be great. [/quote38zsto9d]
Correct. The connection was lost and I could no longer connect at all once the browser was restarted. I did not try to just click Stop/Start so I don't know if that would solve it or not. It is less frequent now actually, so I need to run it for a couple more weeks in order to see a pattern.
[quote38zsto9d]Well it's not a bug really. That thing is pretty much all that differs the two indexing methods. The "index new files only" function skips validating existing files and folders to see if they exist, since that is the thing taking up 90% of the indexing time. So for now, this is the way it will have to be. But if I find out another way to improve it i will do it for sure. [/quote38zsto9d]
Like I said, I kinda expected this behavior. Besides, I will use "index new files only" extremely rarely, if at all, so I would not spend any time at all looking into it.

With that said, I have some other things to repport.

First, I noticed yesterday that Last.fm would not accept my login credentials anymore. I confirmed that it was Vibestreamer by successfully logging into the actual site. I had at that time logged in probably 4 times within the same hour. Clicking Start/Stop did not solve the issue. I had to completely exit out of VS and then start it again. Once I did that, the credentials were accepted. I tried different browsers before doing so in order to eliminate any browser issue, but they all had the same problem.

Second, the Last Track feature works poorly, if at all. It is very random, but more often than not it shows nothing. The tool tip shows the login time correctly but there is usually no entry under "Last Track". One thing I did notice is that is does more often show my played track.

siit

01-10-2009 13:56:07

[quote1ovve7pb]Correct. The connection was lost and I could no longer connect at all once the browser was restarted. I did not try to just click Stop/Start so I don't know if that would solve it or not. It is less frequent now actually, so I need to run it for a couple more weeks in order to see a pattern. [/quote1ovve7pb]

Ok, keep me updated on that one. And when it happens, check if you can shutdown the server. If not, check the logs if something has occured and also if the application is using up a lot of CPU.

[quote1ovve7pb]Last.fm would not accept my login credentials anymore. I confirmed that it was Vibestreamer by successfully logging into the actual site.[/quote1ovve7pb]

I haven't seen that one before either. And restarting the server should have no impact on it really. Although clearing your browser cache might have something to do with it, so next time, if it happens try out that and report here at the forum.

[quote1ovve7pb]Second, the Last Track feature works poorly, if at all. It is very random[/quote1ovve7pb]

I take it you have a few cover.jpg within your album folders? There is a bug that actually counts the cover.jpg as a track, but it can't get any metadata for it when it tries to display it in the tooltip, since it's not an mp3.. well that bug is now fixed and will be part of the next version.

MockY

02-10-2009 00:37:08

[quote3lctvpfr]Ok, keep me updated on that one. And when it happens, check if you can shutdown the server. If not, check the logs if something has occured and also if the application is using up a lot of CPU. [/quote3lctvpfr]
Will do. I have been monitoring the CPU and Memory usage since the install, and the footprint has always been extremely low. Good job on that one.

[quote3lctvpfr]I haven't seen that one before either. And restarting the server should have no impact on it really. Although clearing your browser cache might have something to do with it, so next time, if it happens try out that and report here at the forum. [/quote3lctvpfr]
I did such. I even tried different browsers which I have never used before to log in to Vibe Streamer, but the same issue occurred. However, since this has only happened once, I would not worry about it. I just found it very odd.

[quote3lctvpfr]
I take it you have a few cover.jpg within your album folders? [/quote3lctvpfr]
Since VS does not read the cover from the ID-tag, as far as I am aware of, this is the only way for VS to show the cover in the player. So it sounds great that this will be fixed. And it also explains why it displays last track so randomly.

As a side note, now when I use VS3 on my main server, I noticed a performance decrease from when I test ran it on my test server. Now its serves more, so this is obviously expected to some degree, but it takes about 10 seconds for it to expand my main directory where I house the music, which only contains 2846 subdirectories. But I guess there is more going on in the background than just displaying the directories.

Also, when using the search for the first time after logging in, it takes about 10 seconds before displaying anything. Every try after that is pretty much instant, regardless of what I search for. Why is that? In my mind, it would take somewhat equal amount of time each query and not just slow the first time.
Furthermore, it would be nice to have a "Please Wait" tool tip (the same you use when displaying items in the right pane) while VS is performing your query. That way the user knows that is it actively looking for what you search for. It is confusing for some, especially when they search for the first time after logging in since this takes the longest.

siit

02-10-2009 01:08:25

[quote2k86vjww]I did such. I even tried different browsers which I have never used before to log in to Vibe Streamer, but the same issue occurred. However, since this has only happened once, I would not worry about it. I just found it very odd. [/quote2k86vjww]

Yea it sure sounds very odd. The last.fm integration isn't anything complicated as far as the implementation goes, so hopefully it was just a ghost and might not bother you anymore, I hope )

[quote2k86vjww]
Since VS does not read the cover from the ID-tag, as far as I am aware of, this is the only way for VS to show the cover in the player. So it sounds great that this will be fixed. And it also explains why it displays last track so randomly.[/quote2k86vjww]

Yea, well possibly later vibe streamer will support showing cover data from the id3 tags, it's not a tough one but there are other priorities (such as utf-8 and theming) that has to be done before that )

[quote2k86vjww]As a side note, now when I use VS3 on my main server, I noticed a performance decrease from when I test ran it on a 100GB test server. Now its serves 10 times as much, so this is obviously expected, but it takes about 10 seconds for it to expand my main directory where I house the music, which only contains 2846 subdirectories. But I guess there is more going on in the background than just displaying the directories. [/quote2k86vjww]

when I develop I usually just run 5 directories (since I constantly add/remove the indexes), but I have a test directory running 10.000 directories without any problems.. the performance problems I usually see is not really the server doing any hard work (cause searching through the index is a piece of cake nowdays), but it's actually the data sent from the server to the client containig all the metadata (just check out the data sent through firebug and you will see that it's quite a lot of content being sent and parsed through json).. so it's usually the bandwidth that makes it slower,... but 10 seconds for so little as 2500 directories sounds very slow.. can anyone else confirm this problem?

if you can, try it out on multiple clients and see if you can notice any difference in performance.. i already know some ways to make it send less data, but as always, that will have to wait for the more important features, for now.. )

[quote2k86vjww]Also, when using the search for the first time after logging in, it takes about 10 seconds before displaying anything. Every try after that is pretty much instant, regardless of what I search for. Why is that?[/quote2k86vjww]

Weird.. I'll PM you and have you send me your index file.. that might help me to solve that one..

dr3w2k

02-10-2009 18:11:45

The obvious questions first Are you running the last stable version (3.0.0) and did you uninstall any existing versions or betas before you installed the new one?

Further questions If you just start the application and dont start the server (by clicking the "start" button), does the CPU still run high? If not, does it run high as soon as you click the start button or does it run high as soon as someone logs on, or starts streaming? Try to find out exactly when the CPU starts to rise and it will be of much help.
[/quoteeqyh0zft]

Yes, running latest version and did uninstall previous version first.

CPU only runs high when server is started. Doesn't matter if users are connected or not. Even with server stopped but VS indexing, CPU is only at around 10-15. But start thje server and it hits 90+.

MockY

05-10-2009 17:34:19

It sounds like your Windows install is a bit iffy. Though I have only tried VS on 2003 Server installs, none of the betas or the final release have caused any odd CPU peaks. I suggest that you install VS in a virtual machine on the computer you are currently running it, just to confirm that something is off with your current install.

dr3w2k

05-10-2009 18:10:37

It sounds like your Windows install is a bit iffy. Though I have only tried VS on 2003 Server installs, none of the betas or the final release have caused any odd CPU peaks. I suggest that you install VS in a virtual machine on the computer you are currently running it, just to confirm that something is off with your current install.[/quote1i9lwlyy]

I'm pretty confident that it is not the Windows install...

I found the issue. If the session timeout is set too high, it causes the CPU to spike. Since setting it to 0 (in an attempt to disable it) causes you to be logged out right away, I set it to a very high number. I did some testing and found that the problem occurs with a 5 or more digit number, in some cases. For example, you can use 10000 or even 100000 with no problems. But change it to 20000 or 99999 and the CPU spikes.

Mastakilla

12-10-2009 23:03:55

not sure if i can consider this as a bug, feature request or just a call for help p

but is there a way for the search engine to consider underscores as a space

most of my albums contain underscores instead of spaces and if you want to search for some like (fictional) "the big it" and some albums use underscores and some use spaces, the only way to search them all is to search for either "the", "big" or "it" and that would return an unlimited amount of unwanted results...