Streaming via network share (Windows network share)

jhop

26-03-2009 02:36:03

I have successfully used a Windows 2K box, running Vibe Streamer in conjunction with a Synology ds108j as the storage server. I setup the ds108j to share folders with windows systems -- cake. worked up until I uploaded the newest firmware (march 2009) to the ds108j.

The only difference I can see in the system is that my 2K box says the folder share is on the LOCAL INTRANET . It use to say INTERNET.

I turned on and off local browse master, had no effect. Mapped the network share as D\ (worked previously) and just issued Vibe the \\server-share\music (worked previously) to no avail.

The Vibe Streamer finds the folders and contents. Problem is, once qued up in the player, it says ERROR FILE CANNOT BE FOUND.

I uninstalled, deleted the program folder, rebooted, re installed the Vibe and no results.

I was able to stream from a local hard drive on the 2K box to Vibe.

Maybe I should cross post this to the Synology forums as well.

Thanks to anyone who has similar configurations!

My server is located at www.jeremyhop.com

jhop

26-03-2009 15:25:11

I allowed the system to sit all night in a configured condition.

Some of the titled will load up and play properly. Most won'.t

The odd thing is, album cover photos appear on the BBE skin with no issue.

I'm really at a loss as to why only some music titles and all the album art seems to load and play but most of my library won't. Mind you, this system worked perfectly for me prior to that firmware update on the Synology box.

I wonder of the speed of fetching the id3 tags or data in general is slowing down the system. I have the 2K box on a gigabit line, on the same prosafe switch the Synology (file server) box is on.

Really at a loss here. This is an odd problem.

Perhaps a setting within Vibe will allow more time for the (data server) to stream data to Vibe.

Thanks.

jhop

26-03-2009 15:53:55

Problem resolved.

File permissions in the 'music' share must be reset.

In File Station 2, highlight a smallish block of folders. Do not select a ton at once or the system will hang.

Designate the owner and user group as admin. Since my 2K box logs into the folder using admin, I suppose it was getting confused by various permissions in subfolders, since the upgrade of the ds108j.

I beleive this new firmware added more complex Linux style permissions, which is awesome for security but cumbersome to users such as me with little Linux knowledge.

I hope this thread can help someone in a similar situation.

jhop

31-03-2009 00:07:13

This issue is caused by my ds1085j NAS box, *not* with the VibeStreamer itself.

The method in which Vibe accesses files and directories would be helpful in figuring out what causes this problem.

ShoutCast seems to ignore file permissions or aren't sensitive to read-only attributes.