Running Vibe Without Any Port Forwarding

caboosification

15-11-2008 07:42:32

Hi guys

The problem i am facing is that my desktop is behind a university network connection, therefore i cannot configure any of the router / firewall settings to allow vibe to listen on a port xxxx. So is there a way to get vibe to work without port forwarding ? I am not exactly sure how my university connection is configured, but i cannot my IP address from anywhere but my own laptop.

I have been using LogMeIn to connect remotely to this same computer, and somehow it is able to do so without any forwarding. Is there a way to do something similar with Vibe streamer ?

One thing i tried was using Hamachi VPN( another LogMeIn product), but installing that requires admin rights, which limits the use of Vibe Streamer, making the solution pointless. I am looking for a preferably portable application that will let me connect to vibe without any port forwarding.

Also want to thank the developers for this awesome app.

Yukiko

18-11-2008 23:43:47

I don't know if this would work but you might try having Vibe use port 80 as its port. Port 80 is naturally open for TCP connections. Not sure if this would cause any problems with you accessing webpages from your computer though.

ssartell

19-11-2008 17:57:32

Putting Vibe on 80 won't get any packets routed back to your machine.

You could setup a remote forwarding (reverse port forwarding) connection to the machine you want to give access to. This means you would need control over the network of the computer you're going to be listening from though.

If you won't have control over the machine you want to listen from and you happen to have a third machine with control over its network, you might be able to VPN both machines to the third machine and get it working like that.

If you're extremely dedicated you could look at how they do it with p2p traffic, but I think any solution like this would be a custom job.
http//alumnus.caltech.edu/~dank/peer-nat.html

Basically I'm saying that I don't think you'll find an easy solution to this... Sorry.