Output Audio to Local Machine

cpashia

27-10-2008 19:22:26

I am creating a jukebox to output to a console record player that I recently acquired. I wanted to use vibe streamer to play music on the local machine (the server) while controlling it from a browser. Elementally normal operation, save I want to output to the local machine instead of streaming it. I couldn't find anything in the documentation, by fiddling around with the application or by searching the forums. Does anybody have any ideas on if/how this can be done. Thanks.

kjparenteau

27-10-2008 20:29:56

So meaning the UI and controlling and manipulating the files is what you want as it is out of the box, only you're at Computer A using the web interface, but you want the audio to output to Computer B where VibeStreamer is actually running, instead of streaming it back to Computer A. Is that what you're meaning?

cpashia

28-10-2008 15:52:29

Exactly. That was a much better way of putting it.

kjparenteau

28-10-2008 17:27:32

I don't know if something like that would be possible to be perfectly honest. What about using a remote desktop utility such as RDP, Dameware, or VNC? That way you can interact with the remote desktop of computer A, while sitting anywhere else at computer B. Computer A will run Vibe Streamer, and you just run the browser interface from that same computer A. That I know that would work, but not sure if that's something that might be of interest to you.

cpashia

28-10-2008 17:56:09

The server (computer B) is headless. Also, what would be the purpose of sitting at the server, then using http and Vibe Streamer to play music on a local machine? Why wouldn't I just use a full featured media player?

kjparenteau

28-10-2008 18:06:08

Exactly. It would work sure. But I really don't think it will work the other way around. Now I know that Siit is planning on supporting 3rd party plugins with version 3, or have the ability to create plugins designed to work with VibeStreamer... That may open the door into something you're trying to do.

cpashia

28-10-2008 19:27:30

The most attractive solution I have found so far is to run MPD (Music Player Daemon) under Linux with Jinzora as a front end. The setup is more involved, but I think the end result will have more features and be more attractive. I've started this already, I just need to find time to troubleshoot some sharing issues between Linux and Windows.

Yukiko

29-10-2008 10:44:14

Cpasha I am sure you know this can be done using Windows Remote Desktop or an equivalent utility but rather than using a browser you'd use a media application like Media Player or Jet Audio and have it running on "Computer B". Then using Remote Desktop on "Computer A" you'd simply log-in to Computer Bs desktop remotely and utilize the media player on the headless Computer B. Was there some reason you wanted to use a web-browser to access the music playlists? To me it seems an extra step that isn't necessary.

kjparenteau

29-10-2008 15:29:40

[quote1hamobse]Cpasha I am sure you know this can be done using Windows Remote Desktop or an equivalent utility but rather than using a browser you'd use a media application like Media Player or Jet Audio and have it running on "Computer B". Then using Remote Desktop on "Computer A" you'd simply log-in to Computer Bs desktop remotely and utilize the media player on the headless Computer B. Was there some reason you wanted to use a web-browser to access the music playlists? To me it seems an extra step that isn't necessary.[/quote1hamobse]
Yeah that's the same thoughts I was having. I use remote desktop for a lot of things, and makes things significantly easier once its set up.

A good example of a similar idea to what Cpasha is wanting to do... I had Winamp running my playlists on the local machine and ran a Ventrilo client on that same machine and told Vent to use the source as the local audio output. So my little group's Vent server had a "music buddy" so to speak that would play all my tunes while logged into vent. I did this 100% through remote.

I have 5 servers and all of them have only 2 cables coming out of them... Power and ethernet. lol ) Remote management is great because it saves time and physical space, while giving the benefits of multiple servers.

Yukiko

29-10-2008 20:20:07

Kjparenteau that's a pretty nifty idea there with the Vent client. I had never thought about that. It's like your own private Netcast.

kjparenteau

29-10-2008 20:30:12

Exactly! When I used to play World of Warcraft that's what we used in our little "grinding" channel for those who wanted to quest or PvP or whatever. Random music they have no control over. lol

But all in all I think the idea that Cpasha is going for would work very will with something as simple as RDP. He can use anything from the Vibe Web interface, to Windows Media Player, Winamp, or whatever other audio player that's preferred.

Cpasha if you need any assistance with setting up RDP or VNC or something like that, let me know.

Kevin

cpashia

29-10-2008 22:53:45

It seems like more of a hassle to me to remote desktop into a machine and have to use the media application on that machine than to have a simple web interface to control it. It seems to me to be more of a hassle to juggle two desktops than to use a simple web interface.

Another alternative is XBMC. It's not always friendly running on a beigebox x86 though.

So I guess I am just the opposite. I think it is more of a hassle to remote in than to use a straight up interface.

kjparenteau

29-10-2008 23:25:31

Well of course the direct interface is easier, but I don't think there's a way to actually make it work in reverse of how its intended, which is why I suggested remote desktop as a possible alternative...

XBMC does have a web interface that does this like you said and I have used it as well. However like you said its not the most friendly sometimes.

There's several ways to do what you want to do, it just simply comes down to user preference. I personally would prefer a dedicated machine that is always on and there for me when I need it and also has the capabilities to run other services as well such as FTP, web servers, and schedule tasks like reboots or whatever to help maintain itself without your intervension. But that's me. )

As far as VibeStreamer itself goes, there's no way (to my knowledge) to accomplish this unless its run on the local PC that will run the audio out. Again version 3 may have the ability via plugin to do such a thing down the road, but as of now I doubt it will work in its current state.

Yukiko

30-10-2008 05:46:05

*laughs*
I'm of the mind that whether you are using a web interface or remote desktop you're still doing it remotely. Besides, and here's where my lack of Linux experience shows, I find it easier to use XP and remote in than setting up Linux. Ofcourse Linux is probably the better choice here for price and other reasons. I just happen to own a spare XP disc from an old dead machine. If I didn't believe me on my current budget I'd be learning how to set-up Linux.

kjparenteau

30-10-2008 06:06:33

I messed around with Linux for a while a few years ago, and found it immensely confusing and difficult. Sure the facts are proven that its a better choice, but I started losing patience when drivers weren't loading properly. )

But yeah I actually have to agree with you as well on the using a web interface vs remote desktop. Only difference really is remote desktop has that one extra step of connecting to the remote machine. Which is only a single click of a shortcut icon once its set up. lol Then either way you're opening a browser and using the same process.

A little side note on the whole RDP discussion... I did actually manage to make Windows XP operate like a true terminal server like Server 2003 as an example. Meaning the local user is not logged off, and I can have 200 users logged in all at the same time using their own desktop via the RDP client. Not an easy task let me tell ya! But I have my own terminal server using the XP operating system now!

Yukiko

03-11-2008 12:23:34

kjparenteau,

I'd like to know how you did that.

kjparenteau

04-11-2008 16:39:31

I love having details on "How it works" so I have those notes listed towards the bottom for those who are interested in how I figured this all out, and for those of you who don't care, but want this to work for you, download the .EXE file and run it from within [u1ad7fiui][b1ad7fiui]SAFE MODE ONLY[/b1ad7fiui][/u1ad7fiui] and the entire list of steps below is pretty much automated for you...

The EXE file will auto extract all the required files to (C\TEMP) and run the appropriate commands to make this all happen, with a single exception. The instructions will pop up in notepad for the final item I couldn't figure out how to automate properly. The other file is simply the terminal services dll file for those of you who want to do this all manually. This file is of course automatically included in the .EXE installer.

[u1ad7fiui][b1ad7fiui]Requirements[/b1ad7fiui] Windows XP Pro SP3[/u1ad7fiui]
RDP Hack .EXE[/url1ad7fiui]
[url=http://files.selfip.com/img/vibestreamer/termsrv.dll1ad7fiui]Terminal Services DLL Only[/url1ad7fiui]

In order to run this, you need to have the latest updates and running [u1ad7fiui][b1ad7fiui]Windows XP Pro SP3[/b1ad7fiui][/u1ad7fiui]. Also the only way that this will run properly is to have the Welcome Screen enabled... Its a pain, but I haven't found a way around it yet. So this also means this "hack" cannot be run as part of a domain either. Of course you're also going to want a decent amount of ram to do this as well especially if you start piling on users at the same time, but anyway down to the nitty gritty...

What you need to do is replace the current terminal services dll file (since it only allows for a single connection at a time), with an older file from a beta build of a service pack a while ago which Microsoft intended to allow for multiple connections, but didn't proceed with that idea.

Now its VERY important that you do all of this in Safe Mode due to services than will run otherwise and interfere with the setup of this. Once you're in safe mode, here's all the wonderous things that have to be done.

------------------------------

This shows where the termsrv.dll file needs to go, and yes it MUST go in all 3 places. I like to rename the originals to something different just in case. This is automatically done for you in the .EXE through a batch script (RDP_Hack.bat).

C\Windows\System32
rename termsrv.dll termsrv.dll.bak

C\Windows\System32\dllcache

C\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

copy "C\TEMP\termsrv.dll" "C\Windows\System32"
copy "C\TEMP\termsrv.dll" "C\Windows\System32\dllcache"
copy "C\TEMP\termsrv.dll" "C\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386"

Next is the Registry... The default settings were part of what prevented multiple connections alongside of the termsrv.dll file. Once the DLL file is replaced, adjusting these settings will do 4 things... 1) It will turn on Concrurrent Sessions. 2) Ensures that the terminal server is set to run automatically. 3) Ensures that multiple connections are allowed. 4) Enables the Welcome Screen.

This process is also included in the .EXE and is added to the registry automatically for you, but here's the actual items that are changed in the .reg file (RDP_Hack.reg).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Terminal Server\Licensing Core]
"EnableConcurrentSessions"=dword00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
"fDenyTSConnections"=dword00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"AllowMultipleTSSessions"=dword00000001
"EnableConcurrentSessions"=dword00000001
"LogonType"=dword00000001

The final step is to edit the number of allowed connections through the Group Policy editor... Again I wasn't able to figure out a way to automate this for the .EXE file, but I made it launch a .txt file that gives you the instructions onscreen to follow. Here's the steps...

Start > Run > Type "gpedit.msc"

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Terminal Services

Enable "Limit Number of Connections" and set the number of connections to 3 (or more).
The setting defines the number of users that can be logged in at the same time.
NOTE Use 999999 for unlimited connections

Hope you enjoy this, and let me know if you have any troubles! )