Tried everything in the book, external not working

akmalmarikar

04-06-2008 03:04:46

Hi, I just tried out vibe stream for the first time today and it worked fine while i was at work on our student wireless network. I already set up the dynamic dns updater with dyndns and everything works fine while on that network.

But back at my apartment is where the fun starts.
I try connwcting to it, but it just says waiting in the status bar forever
My network mylaptop-->wireless router--->cable modem
tried port forwarding, upnp, and no upnp. my ports forward properly
checked port using azureus nat checker thingy.. it says ok

anyway i try connecting using my dynamic name using dyndns and forwarded port.. no luck
tried using directly with my public IP, no luck there either
When I check vibestream settings, only the local LAN IP is visible.
It connects locally so no problem there..

Im using XP, no firewall, tried it with turning off my antivirus just for kicks.. no luck.. windows firewall off too..

I just want to stream my music... ( ?

help please...

kjparenteau

04-06-2008 03:28:14

I'm sure I can help figure this out with you. One thing you may want to do is read through the post at the following link since it involves this issue fairly closely and may help...

http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

The server seeing only the local lan is totally fine. I just leave it "All unassigned" since most people run DHCP addressing on internal lans. What you need to do is make sure that the server is started on that local IP first, and running on a port that is open (default is 8081). Test it out locally/internally using direct IPs or LOCALHOST8081 and then we'll worry about external access. The router will route any traffic from your external IP / DNS and forward to the appropriate internal IP based on what port assignment you give it.

akmalmarikar

04-06-2008 04:53:30

Thanks..
I left it unnassigned, and it works through localhost, and when i use the local ip. Im using port 10041 since it's in a range im already forwarding on my router.. It should be working..but it isnt..

noob

04-06-2008 05:07:51

edit where exactly is this server at work or at your house!?

akmalmarikar

04-06-2008 08:53:32

Its at home..in my apartment.. running off my laptop.. i use the dnydns so I take my laptop to work and still run the server off of it.. i can connect externally to the server when i run it at work but not when i run at home under my own network..

kjparenteau

04-06-2008 17:48:53

Remember your IP will be different between work / home so the DynDNS forward won't work to both at the same time if you're moving the vibe server between networks.

One thing you might want to investigate... You can easily get a lower end PC for dirt cheap and put a fresh install of windows on it and run only VibeStreamer with a large enough hard drive to hold your music. That you can leave on at all times in your apartment, use your DDNS forward to that PC, and then you can access that via your laptop from work or from your appartment.

I can help you figure out a super cheap server solution that you can run in your apartment and use a remote control software like Dameware to eliminate the need for a monitor and keyboard and such. I have a couple servers running like that actually.

akmalmarikar

05-06-2008 01:33:51

Well I know it will be different between networks, but I know thats not the problem since I have the dns-updater installed on my laptop and also I have dns-updating capabilities on my router, so that definitely isn't the problem.. I think that its something to do with the port being blocked or something...

kjparenteau

05-06-2008 16:49:58

I had a Linksys router for a while that wouldn't update DDNS for some reason even though the IP did change. I would just log in manually from each location to DDNS to double check to make sure that your updater is functioning properly. At least that will eliminate that as a possibility.

Now you did state you already had that port being forwarded on your router... Are you using that same port for another function such as a web server or whatever?

akmalmarikar

05-06-2008 17:58:09

No the IP gets updated I know that because the i logged in and checked..
And i'm not using the port for anything else..
But i think i know what the problem is...
When i try to connect using xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx10041, it's trying to access an open port on the router and the request is not being sent to my computer on my network, so it cant find the listening program.. so I think i have to set the port range triggering for my computer.. Ill try that when i get home today.. that should fix it.. or my name is mud...

kjparenteau

05-06-2008 18:10:21

Ok so one thing that might help is more details of your network at home... Because I'm a little confused on your configuration... You said you have a laptop... Which you carry back and forth between your home and your work... Is this where the vibe streamer is installed to? Or do you have a second PC at home with vibe streamer installed that stays connected to your router at all times...?

akmalmarikar

06-06-2008 10:34:38

its installed on my laptop, which I carry back and forth.. which is really why I got the dynamic dns thing...

kjparenteau

06-06-2008 17:09:46

If you carry it with you, wouldn't it just be easier to use a program like Winamp? It sounds like you're doing everything 100% local to your laptop, which is what a media player like Winamp is great for. Vibe Streamer was more intended to have it run at your home or whatever location at all times, so that when you go to work or your friends house or whatever, you can access your tunes remotely through a standard web interface.

Here's what I have and it might help... I have a DDNS forward of xxxxxx.selfip.com right? That only forwards to my current IP. I also have a DDNS webhop of zzzzzz.selfip.com set up as well (unmasked) that forwards to xxxxxx.selfip.com8081. In my DDNS updater I am ONLY updating the regular forward, NOT the webhop. The reason for that is because if you update the webhop, it will wipe out the port info whenever it updates. So my actual address I type in is the zzzzzz.selfip.com which I don't have to specify the port on. That will redirect to the xxxxxx.selfip.com8081 which knows my ip address using that port number because it was specified through the webhop.

From here my router knows that any request on the external IP on port 8081 is forwarded to the internal IP of 192.168.1.2 which is the IP of where vibe is installed on my server at home. Vibe is set to listen at all times on any IP using port 8081. That's really all there is to it...

Now in your case since you're running it on a machine that travels all over the place, just use the address LOCALHOST and you should be fine no matter where you go. You don't need the DDNS forward since you're 100% local to your laptop, but also like I said, Winamp is a great media player also and might suit your needs better. Just a thought.

akmalmarikar

06-06-2008 18:35:37

Well that's obvious isn't it?

Why would I want to use a streaming service to listen to music from my laptop while using it?

The reason I mentioned I take it to work is because I just thought I'd test it to see if it worked at on the student network, because IT DID NOT work initially at home, though it should by all means do because I forwarded the port and so on.. Right now I'm only testing vibe streamer to see if it works so that later on, when I leave my laptop at home, I can, for example, listen to my music at the library or something..

So... my questions so far, which remain un-answered are why, when I am forwarding the proper ports, not being used by any other service, and updating my IP on the dynamic DNS service, am I not able to connect to to my vibe stream server on my home network? are there any other router settings I should fiddle with? eg. DMZ, port triggering etc..

I think my problem is similar to this guys's
http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewt ... 8a671e87fb

kjparenteau

06-06-2008 19:15:19

[quote2naug1ub]Why would I want to use a streaming service to listen to music from my laptop while using it? Could you not infer that I was merely testing it? Did it not occur to you that, "hey, maybe this guy wants to leave leave his laptop at home and listen to his music remotely" ? And most of all didn't you think my main reason for posting my question was to find out why vibestreamer wasn't working on my network, and not how I can listen to my music...? sheesh... [/quote2naug1ub]
Damn... Didn't mean to piss you off by any means, and surely didn't ever "tell you what to do", but rather offer a suggestion based on the info being given, but whatever... Good luck with making it work...

Amish

06-06-2008 20:29:00

Well that's obvious isn't it?

Why would I want to use a streaming service to listen to music from my laptop while using it?

The reason I mentioned I take it to work is because I just thought I'd test it to see if it worked at on the student network, because IT DID NOT work initially at home, though it should by all means do because I forwarded the port and so on.. Right now I'm only testing vibe streamer to see if it works so that later on, when I leave my laptop at home, I can, for example, listen to my music at the library or something..

So... my questions so far, which remain un-answered are why, when I am forwarding the proper ports, not being used by any other service, and updating my IP on the dynamic DNS service, am I not able to connect to to my vibe stream server on my home network? are there any other router settings I should fiddle with? eg. DMZ, port triggering etc..

I think my problem is similar to this guys's
http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewt ... 8a671e87fb[/quote2zcla7bg]

Dont get in a fucking hissy fit and then expect kind hearted people like kjparenteau or anyone for that matter to help you.

akmalmarikar

08-06-2008 07:44:35

I'm sorry I didn't mean to get angry. I shouldn't have done said that.

Well i guess it's not going to work.. either my router or my isp hates me..
Well thanks for the advice anyway and taking your time to answer my questions..

akmalmarikar

08-06-2008 19:45:56

sorry for being a dick.. i guess it was just my frustration.. and i had changed the my message thinking i was overreacting but you guys saw the message before i changed it.. so im sorry..

anyway i figured out what was wrong.. It WAS working, its just that when i try connecting using a browser on my own LAN, to my external IP, it doesnt work..

Someone outside my network has to connect using the external IP, I can only connect using the internal ip.

So anyone who thinks the server isn't working and has tried all that I have, try testing it on a computer which is on a different network altogether and a different internet connection. It probably works..