Help connecting from outside

smakdown61

22-05-2008 15:21:14

I set up my laptop at home to use the vibe server and I confirmed that it works from residential addresses from the outside. I would like to access it from work but it says it can't open the page b/c I'm assuming I have some firewall stuff blocking it here. I even tested by bypassing the firewall stuff and it works. Do I have to open a port here? How do I know what port to open?

noob

04-06-2008 00:39:53

- first I'd say make sure your server works at your friend's house.
- also make sure you don't take the wrong ip to work (you might have dynamic ip at the house) if this is the case you might want to set-up a Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS) it's free through your router
- the firewall at your workplace might not be blocking it, usually they block incoming traffic, not outgoing! but if they are do a port scan or ask your IT department what ports they have open and set it up at home with one of those ports!

hope that helps!

kjparenteau

04-06-2008 03:08:05

[quote3smnkope]I set up my laptop at home to use the vibe server and I confirmed that it works from residential addresses from the outside. I would like to access it from work but it says it can't open the page b/c I'm assuming I have some firewall stuff blocking it here. I even tested by bypassing the firewall stuff and it works. Do I have to open a port here? How do I know what port to open?[/quote3smnkope]

In a previous post I made a while back, I broke down what to do in this department. Read through the post at the link below and hopefully it will help you out a bit. If not, please feel free to ask and I can see what I can do to assist.

[url3smnkope]http://www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488&highlight=[/url3smnkope]