Download/Upload Speeds

O'dell

08-04-2008 03:36:44

This might be in the wrong section, so if it is I apologize and could a mod/admin move it to the right section for me? I also did a search, but couldn't really find anything that addresses this. If there is already a thread on this, please point me in that direction.

Anyways, I have installed the Vibe Streamer and installed a couple skins and everything works great. I'm currently using the BBE skin (can be found here[/url2zlhk9a6]). The only "issue" I'm really having is my download/upload speeds (however you want to look at it) never reach over 120kbps when I'm accessing the server from somewhere outside of my network; even when I'm on our T3 at work. Now, I have checked basically everything I can think of, and I'm starting to think it might be just Vibe or the way the skin has been setup to allow downloads, but am looking for opinions.

I should mention, my average upload speed on any of the various speed test sites is 800ish kbps and I do run a web console for SageTV and can get up to 500 kbps through that.

1.) ISP. This was my first guess, as I used to work at the NOC of my ISP and know what program(s) they use to limit upload bandwidth. I called an old coworker of mine, who still works there, and he confirmed that the program(s) they use to monitor and control bandwidth do not monitor port 8081. I also had him put my IP on a white-list temporarily and changing the port to see if that fixed it, but it didn't change a thing.

2.) Router. I, like everyone, do a lot of torrenting and have numerous computers running plus an Xbox running at any given time. I have quite a few QoS rules setup, to make all my torrents least priority but the load on my router when streaming through Vibe or Sage would max out (even with no torrents running), so I upgraded to a new one, and lowered the maximum number of connections allowed, which has completely resolved the load issue. (I also tried bypassing the router, but that did nothing.)

3.) Computer. I do have quite a few services running on my media server/dvr, I've tried disabling everything to see if that helps but it doesn't. As far as the setup, it's just a Dell 5150 but I've put 4 gb's of ram in it, good video card, etc., so I doubt that's it.

There are a couple other things I've checked, but this post is already long enough as it is, and most of the pertinent info I've already included. If you have anymore specific questions for me, by all means let me know. I'm willing to try whatever. It's not that 120kbps is [i2zlhk9a6]that [/i2zlhk9a6]bad, but when I'm used 1mbps + download speeds, it's annoying.

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kjparenteau

09-04-2008 21:32:07

There's many different translations for speeds. Your ISP announced speeds may be different than what your program will view. Or Windows will show you a certain download speed that may be viewed differently depending on the testing program and such.

Generally most apps are viewed at (KB/Sec) like a Windows download as an example. So 120KB/Sec will translate to 1.2 megs per second or (1.2Mbps). That's general speed examples not actual. (120 KB/Sec actually translates to 0.96 Mbps)

So if your ISP upload rating is at 1 meg or 1.2 meg or whatever, the figure of 120KB is actually accurate. Some may say 120K, but again this is all depending on who translates and how they view that speed. lol

Use a comparison chart or conversion table to check some of the different numbers. If your music streams just fine I'm guessing you're using your full upload capabilities.

[u24ubeerh][b24ubeerh]Comparison Table Example[/b24ubeerh][/u24ubeerh]
[url24ubeerh]http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp[/url24ubeerh]