I can login to VibeStreamer, but see only a blank webpage ?

LisaRCT

09-03-2008 18:38:02

suddenly, for no apparent reason, when I open VibeStreamer I get a blank page instead of seing the interface in my browser.
The browser says it is done loading and a refresh does nothing to help.
Looking at the VibeStreamer interface on my server, it shows that I am
logged on.

I made no changes that should have cause this.
I have tried different skins.
I tried a different browser.
I tried a different PC.
I even uninstalled VS and reinstaled it again with the same results.

Any suggestions as to what might be blocking the page from showing correctly?

kjparenteau

10-03-2008 06:08:00

First thing to double check is in the admin panel, make sure your user ID that you're logging in with is assigned a skin. If no skin is assigned, then you may run into an issue. Also if you've been trying different skins, you may need to completely exit VS and restart it.

Are you going straight to your IP address of your PC, or are you using a domain forwarding service? If you're using a forward, that's fine but make sure you don't use masking to hide the IP. That can sometimes cause issues as it did for me. It probably depends on the forwarding service that you use.

LisaRCT

11-03-2008 04:15:15

Hi KJ, and thanks for the assist

It is now functioning properly again ?
problem gone just as mysteriously as it arrived.

I had no connection issues, a skin was assigned (even tried changing to others with no resolve).

Hopefully it does not occurr again, and if it does perhaps this time I can pin it down.

LisaRCT

11-03-2008 15:06:51

OK, today I open my browser to once again find a BLANK VibeStreamer page cry

No clue as to why.

I have tried
two different user accounts - each set to a different skin
two different browsers (IE6 + Maxthon) both of which usually work
closing & restarting VibeStreamer
closing & restarting the browsers

I have checked
VibeStreamer shows the user as Logged In
Each user IS assigned a skin

confused

btw - when the browser is displaying a BLANK page for VibeStreamer, the top title bar does show the usual heading for the VIbeStreamer page, just nothing in the browser window.

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 13:59:47

anybody got an idea?

siit

12-03-2008 14:25:44

question are you running vibe streamer without a local network? if you, are you using your netbios name for the adress or the ip address to your server?

that is, http//mycomputername8081, or the ip address?

also, if using it within a local network.. try using your internal ip adress of the server...

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 14:31:42

Hi Siit,

OK, that makes a difference.
on 192.168.x.xxx I get a proper connection and the page loads properly,
on http//xxxx.selfip.org I get the blank page.

I have my port forwarded and such, and do get a connection as indicated by the browser's title bar and the VibeStreamer software on the server showing my conection as a client.

One thing I do notice is a brief "script error" message on the bottom bar of my browser when the page loads blank.

siit

12-03-2008 14:47:24

I've experienced this problem myself when using an external address while being on my internval network.. so my advice for now is to use the internal ip when connection from within your network.. and use your external address when connecting from outside of your network..

Hopefully this issue won't appear in the upcoming version..

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 15:09:24

Thanks Siit,

I will try that for now, and hopeflly I will have no issues when I am away from the home and connect over the internet.

kjparenteau

12-03-2008 16:42:09

I'm not sure what could be creating the blank page if your ports are forwarded to the server hosting Vibe, and you have a DynDNS forward (unmasked) to that IP. I use this very same setup and I can access vibe both internally and externally using the DynDNS forward.

Actually... Here's a good question... What ISP do you have? For example, I know that Charter blocks many ports and also runs a certain level of filtering, which makes it very difficult to host any type of server application. I know because I used to have them. They tend to block the most commonly used ports (80, 25, 21, 8080,...). Some other providers may do this as well.

If you do have that, or maybe just to see if this might work for you, try setting Vibe to run on port 13830 (or something similar to that) and make sure you change your port forwards in the router, and try again using your DNS forward. Let me know how it goes or if you need any help.

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 16:59:47

I tried a different port but that did not help.

I have Verizon, and have had no propblem using VIbeStreamer until this past week.

Also, there is some type of 'script error' notice on the bottom bar of my browser . . . .. what 'script' can this be referring to?

kjparenteau

12-03-2008 17:10:18

You should be able to double click it, or right click on it to see if there's any other options to view more details on the error. Ususally it will tell you a certain line of code that it doesn't like. Let me know if you can get that open and we can go from there.

One other thing to try also is you may be running into a cache issue... I know when I was playing around with the skins I needed to frequently clear my cache in order for it to display correctly. Even a page refresh doesn't always work. I would recommend trying also to 100% empty your cache and see what happens.

Just for kicks, here's a copy of the 100% original Skin. I renamed it to OrgStandard. Just extract this and put it into your Skins folder for Vibe. Clear the cache and see if you still get the same error.

[b1pc4d7z1]Download Default Skin[/url1pc4d7z1][/b1pc4d7z1]

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 17:26:38

Changing to the Original Skin did nothing to alleviate the problem.

I cannot see the "Script Error" in IE, and in Maxthon it i only visible for a split-second and I cannot click on it. cry

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 17:34:44

Oddly, if I install VS on my laptop it opens fine on any machine, it is only the install on my music server that is having isues.

SO it seems localized to the server and it's VS install.

kjparenteau

12-03-2008 17:56:55

that is quite strange... What about re-installing to your server using an entirely different install path than the default? Also what OS are you using on your server? Do you have any kind of firewall software running that may be creating the issue?

Hmmm... Are you running this software via any type of service manager such as FireDaemon or putting a shortcut into the startup folder? I know I was having issues with trying that, and I ended up just leaving it alone and manually starting the VS app after a reboot.

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 18:49:45

Found the problem . . . NetLimiter!
Even though it had been installed and causing no problems, for some reason it is interfering with VibeStreamer now.
Even though it was not set to control VibrStreamer's speed, or even when it was not running, it was the culprit.
Since it was uninstalled there appear to be no more problems. Reinstalled it and problem returned, removed it again and VibeStreamer is back to it's old trusty, reliable self.

kjparenteau

12-03-2008 19:40:29

Excellent! Process of elimination! )

I'm sure you can still use NetLimiter, but what you may need to do is add VS or the port into some kind of exclusion list. Now that we know what it is, I would try to re-install it if you want to use it, and play with NetLimiter's settings and go from there.

LisaRCT

12-03-2008 21:40:25

I will be definately be doing that, but not right at this moment as NetLimiter requires a reboot at install and/or uninstall and I have processes running that I care not to disrupt.
I will post back if I have sucess so that others may find the solution too.

LisaRCT

02-04-2008 00:53:11

Still unable to use VibeStreamer and cannot find any settings in NetLimiter that will help.

Anyone have an idea as to what part of the VS is being blocked?
scripts?
flash?
java?
or am I just showing my ignorance . . . .
trying to narrow down the suspects

kjparenteau

03-04-2008 18:09:23

I will install and try NetLimiter over the weekend and see if I can't duplicate the same issue. You said when you either remove / disable NetLimiter it works just fine right?

LisaRCT

03-04-2008 19:10:40

I actually had to completely uninstall NetLimiter for VibeStreamer to regain functionality.

kjparenteau

03-04-2008 23:22:04

Hmmm... Yeah I will try to get that installed this weekend and give it a shot to see if I can duplicate / fix the problem for ya.

LisaRCT

09-04-2008 04:48:34

Computer Management -->> Services -->> NetLimiter --> STOP Service.

This will allow VibeStreamer to run without problems.
If you need NetLimiter again simply restart the service. 8)

kjparenteau

09-04-2008 21:50:08

I didn't actually have a chance to try NetLimiter yet. I ran into a few issues I needed to take care of over the weekend, however if you would like to make a couple batch files to start and stop the service, this might make your life easier and should help automate your process.

Just change where it says INPUT SERVICE NAME to whatever the actual service name is in the Services list exactly. Also remember you MUST leave in the "" or it won't work.

[ugkilfj4h][bgkilfj4h]STOP SERVICE BATCH FILE[/bgkilfj4h][/ugkilfj4h]

net stop "INPUT SERVICE NAME"

[ugkilfj4h][bgkilfj4h]START SERVICE BATCH FILE[/bgkilfj4h][/ugkilfj4h]

net start "INPUT SERVICE NAME"

toast2250

04-07-2011 21:00:11

Hey,

I also had the problem with the blank page after log-ing in.

I tried to reinstall VB and found out that it worked,
but only because VB was unchecked in NetLimiter because of the reinstall.

I tried to re-check/limit the outgoing connection for VB in NetLimiter and VB reproduced the blank page problem, good thing is that the VB has its own connection limit feature so no problem. D

If you don't have NetLimiter and are still having this sort of a problem then something else might be breaking the connection.