External Connection

tab

23-12-2007 06:06:52

I have read all the forums and am still having trouble connecting to my VibeStreamer. I am trying to access my VibeStreamer from work. I of course have no problem at home because my computers are on the same network. Just having touble connecting from an outside server. What am I doing wrong?

Amish

23-12-2007 18:20:16

Have you port forwarded correcty...or at all?

CoDEmanX

11-03-2008 15:02:16

add your VS port to DMZ / forward the port to your machine

check firewall settings

disable ip-blockers like PeerGuradian

Simon

11-03-2008 18:09:25

I really need some help...in plain english.....I can get on the Vibe Streamer on my cpu (in local network).....but nobody outside of the network can,, I went into my firewall settings and allowed vibestreamer to accept connections or whatever, how can I make it so that others outside my network can access this?

CoDEmanX

12-03-2008 15:27:24

http//portforward.com/

kjparenteau

12-03-2008 16:56:29

I use DynDNS to forward a domain name such as http//xxxxxx.selfip.com to go to my home IP. Here's what you want to do...

set up a forard at either portforward.com like CoDEmanX suggested or go to dyndns.com also. Either way should work to make a name point to your ip at home.

Next you will want to make sure your router will accept the request and forward it to the correct internal pc which is hosting vibe. Linksys routers as an example (and many others) use the address of 192.168.1.1 as the admin address. Go to Port Forwarding and assign port 8080 to forward to whatever internal IP address your vibe server is hosted on. Such as 192.168.1.102 or whatever.

If this still does not work and can't get a response from either going to your IP directly or by using a hostname, then its possible your port is being blocked by your ISP. In that case you will want to set up vibe to run on a different port (such as 13830 or something), forward the port in your router config, and try again.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Amish

12-03-2008 20:38:40

add your VS port to DMZ / forward the port to your machine

check firewall settings

disable ip-blockers like PeerGuradian[/quote2o9yqpt9]

You can't add a port to a DMZ, Im sure you ment make your computer the DMZ....but thats just stupid. Just forward the port =)

kjparenteau

12-03-2008 20:45:03

Another alternative to working inside your router's config and forwarding ports all the time is to use a software firewall that will allow or disallow the traffic coming in and out of your PC. Here's how you can do that...

Use a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm. It can be annoying at first, but once you teach it your browsing and internet habbits, its not too bad. It will block whatever is trying to get into your computer such as a hack attempt. What you would do is set ZoneAlarm to allow for Vibe Streamer to have full access to the internet in and out.

Then you will need to go into your router config and set your PC that hosts VS in the DMZ. If your internal IP for the PC is 192.168.1.102 or whatever, then you would put that IP into the DMZ. That means zero protection at the router level. That means it will open it to the entire world, but now you also are protected by the software firewall so you should be fine.

I personally would rather forward each desired port at the router level instead of the software, but many people are much more comfortable with the software solution instead so I thought I would put that out there as a possible solution for you. Good luck!