BtHomeHub and VibeStreamer (the key points)

mosey

07-11-2007 12:30:28

I had some difficulty trying to get Vibestreamer working with the BT Homehub (also known as a Thomson 7G or something) as a newbie to portforwarding and such, so hopefully this might help others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. [b1kzipp3v]After installation - change the port number used by Vibestreamer[/b1kzipp3v] BT Homehub doesn't seem to support the default ports used by Vibestreamer, so it's best to change it to something else. I made the mistake of assuming that port numbers were available up to 65535, but any [b1kzipp3v]4-digit number[/b1kzipp3v] should suffice such as 5210 (it could be between 0-9999).

2.[b1kzipp3v]Open your own Firewall (e.g. WindowsXP/Norton etc.) for Vibestreamer[/b1kzipp3v] - this is done quite easily as I had a popup asking me if I wanted Vibestreamer to access the internet.

3.[b1kzipp3v]Setup portforwarding on the BTHomehub and assign to your device[/b1kzipp3v]
There is an excellent guide that can be found here ([url1kzipp3v]http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/[/url1kzipp3v]) which I think is up-to-date for the latest firmware. When it comes to the port range, ensure that you choose [b1kzipp3v]Any[/b1kzipp3v] and put in the port number from step 1 (e.g. 5210) in all 3 boxes.
Assigning the port to your computer is a simple step of selecting your device from the dropdown box.

4.[b1kzipp3v]Static IP[/b1kzipp3v]
I'm not really sure if this is a key step, but the idea is to set up your connection as a static IP address. I don't think the Homehub actually changes the individual IPs much anyway, but again there is an excellent guide here [url1kzipp3v]http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm[/url1kzipp3v]

I haven't yet experimented with the services provided by No-ip.org or Dyndns.org, but that will be the next step. As far as I can tell, the Homehub doesn't really change its dynamic IP address unless the router is restarted.