Wireless connection

kpetti

27-10-2007 00:41:32

I just got a wireless card installed in an old computer. I've moved all my music to it to make a dedicated music server, but when i try and use vibe streamer, it doesn't work. I have a dynamic IP, and i set up a Dynamic DNS. I had previously tried out vibe streamer on my main computer and it worked fine, but now i can't get it to work using the wireless card. I created two Dynamic DNS domains, but they both have the same IP. Sorry if this is kind of confusing, because i can't explain what is going on...

better_tomorrow

07-11-2007 10:13:21

My best guess -your wireless router doesn't know to send the packets.

Let's say your ISP sets your dynamic ip to 71.xxx.xxx.xxx; understand that this ip is external only, and it only cover 1/2 of the equation. You still have an internal ip (probably dynamic) from the router via dhcp. This address is probably something like 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.168.xxx.xxx - it depends on the gateway address you assign the router.

Dynamic dns update applications such as No-IP only report your main/external ip to the their dns servers. Thus the route to your main external ip is probably functioning well, but the internal route of tcp packets for port 80/vibestreamer is probably the malfunctioning area here. The packets are probably being forwarded to the old location/ip of your main computer.

Thus, I recommend this assign a static ip to your wireless computer.
Basically, if you router address is 10.0.0.1 - then that's the address of your gateway. You subnet will probably 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 - check your router to confirm. Now just pick an ip in the 10.0.0.2+ range (the ip may need to be in range of addresses handed out by the router dhcp so if the router dhcp is handing out addressing from 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.25; try an ip within such a range.) You may also need the dns server ip (check your router settings for the dns addresses or ask your isp.) You can also try using your gateway as a dns server.

If you don't know how to set your ip manually on windows xp , go here.[/url6ldwcnzy]

Lastly make sure you port forward (in your router) all vibestreamer tcp traffic to the static ip of the wireless client pc/ vibestreamer server.

If you're using a firewall - make sure you also open a pinhole to allow the vibestreamer traffic.

I hope this helps.