Streaming MP3s is insanely slow

propsout

08-08-2007 01:08:45

Hi everyone,

Anyone have any ideas as to how to speed up MP3 streaming when running VibeStreamer on a typical home computer?

I just found this software and loved the easy of install and the simple interface. I was thrilled to see the Web connection work, until I realized it's taking in the order of many minutes to start streaming a single song. It's to the point where it's not really usable at all?

Any ideas to speed this up? Details
- I'm running the server on a WindowsXP PC that connects to a wired router distributing our Comcast cable modem service. Theoretically this should be running at 100Mbps.
- I'm sharing one folder with about 30 directories and 4GB of MP3s
- I tried accessing the site from another computer on my network, and it's painfully slow.

-Jason

siit

08-08-2007 12:01:18

simple question, are you accessing your computer using the netbios name?
that is,for example http//<computername>8081

if so, try using the ip address instead and please post the result here.

propsout

08-08-2007 22:07:50

Thank you for your time! I was indeed using the full IP address, not the Netbios name.

But today for the first time I tried accessing the share from a computer outside my home network (at my office), and the speed is great!

So apparently the slowness is confined to other computers within my home network (that share the overall IP from our ISP). Would this in-network slowness be explained by something?

On another note, the sound quality of the stream sounds rather "hollow" in comparison to the quality of the actual MP3s on my originating PC (most are encoded at 192 or above). Any ideas why that might be the case or how to improve the quality?

Thanks again, and have a great day.

-Jason

siit

11-08-2007 18:29:48

I'm not sure why the problem with using the netbios name appears for some people, but it's something I will have people try carefully out for the beta of the next version.

Regarding the mp3 quality,.. hmm sounds a bit strange.. macromeda/adobe flash is responsible for the playing part and it could well not be as good as winamp/mediaplayer for mp3s, but it sounds weird with a noticable difference.. do you have an older version of flash maybe?