Problem while using External IP

somethinlike

17-03-2007 02:17:40

My latest attempt at using Vibe Streamer (I've used it successfully before) is failing quite miserably.

I can access my Vibe Server through my internal IP address, but when I set it to 'all unassigned' and try using my External IP address I receive a long wait period and then a 'Connection has Timed Out' screen.

Yes, the port is forwarded correctly. I am using the correct IP Address, and my ISP is Comcast.

killerbambam

19-03-2007 03:07:35

Like myself i can use my local ip for example 10.0.0.18081 but not my ip Ie 188.33.3.333 but my friends can. So dont worry if you think outside world cant see it.

somethinlike

19-03-2007 04:29:40

Actually, I have had more than one person test the connection from their end.

They too have received the same 'Connection Timed Out' error that I am also receiving.

killerbambam

19-03-2007 20:13:34

Ok this is what i do for my router so how it is on yours i dont know but it should be straight forward.

Step one is go to my gateway ip http//10.0.0.138 and that brings router settings etc.

Then find "napt"

You should be able to fill in 4 boxes.

"Inside IP"
"Inside port"
"Outside IP"
"Outside port"

Now i have for inside ip my local ip (10.0.0.1) yours may be 10.0.0.2 ,3,4,5...... etc

then for both ports i have 8081
and outside ip is 0.0.0.0

Without all that mine wont work so if its simular to your case maybe.

better_tomorrow

19-03-2007 21:10:40

Firstly, contact your ISP to see if they are blocking any ports.

Some ISPs block common ports such as 80, 8080, 8081 and so forth. This is why you should not use common ports. Understand that there are also a vast amount of scans via port scanners on common ports at any given time. (Script kiddies are impervious for seeking and finding such open ports.)
Therefore, unless you are familiar with packet capturing, snort, and have a few honey pots - you should never use common ports. Your ISP knows this,and that is why these ports are usually blocked.

Regardless, my best guess to resolve your problem outside of using an off port is to check your DHCP settings. It's always a preference to use a static IP on your LAN for your server.

If you used a CD to setup your networking equipment, then chances are your router is set to renew your local IP every few hours.

You can either choose to extend your IP lease time, or you can simply assign your computer an IP.

If you want to do this then it's quite simple.

Your router is acting as a gateway on 10.0.0.1 thus this is your gateway address.

Your subnet is either 255.0.0.0 - which I doubt, or it's 255.255.255.0 - more likely.

Your DHCP is probably something like 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.57. Thus you can easily assign your PC a static IP in this range. To start of with an IP of 10.0.0.2

To assign these values in Windows XP go to Start/Control Panel/Network Connections/ - Right click on your LAN connection/Go into properties/Go into Internet Properties and enter

10.0.0.2 - IP
255.255.255.0 - Subnet Mask
10.0.0.1 - Gateway

DNS - your DSL or Cable DNS
http//portforward.com/networking/dns.htm

Now your network IP is static.

If you cannot access the internet, then double check your subnet, try 255.0.0.0 and 255.255.0.0;

Once you obtain online access, forward all vibe streamer traffic to your static IP/10.0.0.2; if this doesn't resolve your issue, then make sure you are allowing certain traffic to flow through your PC firewall.

Traffic such as the Generic Host Process and Vibe Streamer itself, must be allowed to act as a client and a server, hence allow inbound and outbound traffic for these applications.

If you're still having problems, then try
1.) Rebooting your PC.
2) Try cleaning your cache, I recommend CCleaner.
http//www.ccleaner.com/