No offense, but I really hate Net Admins...

Donavyn

13-03-2007 12:28:44

.. I just found out this really great software called Vibe Streamer, especially since my wife really gets into MP3's and such.

So I was excited to add it to my own server at home, the installation was flawless, and the setup was quite easy to figure out without referring to documentation or help files.

I tested the connection using the external IP8081, the client GUI was impressive.

I got a bit confused in setting up a Playlist, of which I referred to the forums and BAM, got that taken care of too.

Did I say I was quite impressed with the software?!

Anyhow, the server was going to be used so that we could use it at work, my wife and I. So that we could listen to the music that we like to listen to, and stay motivated through the sheer pleasure of the simplicity of delivering it to us.

That is ... until we got to work and found out that our Net Admin has nearly all ports blocked, including 8081.

With all that said, I'm not a 'n00b' when it comes to net admin on my private network at home, I run several servers for our gaming group including a VoIP, a Telnet BBS, etc.

So what I'm asking ... ok what I'm begging is some kind of hint or suggestion, maybe a little 'trick' or two that could theoretically 'get around' the firewall issue at work.

Any help is appreciated, so please don't be shy. =)

killerbambam

13-03-2007 20:32:11

Could getting a domain help? so like get a free .co.nr and link your ip etc to that domain and use that togo to it.

May prevent it from catching on. cry

Donavyn

14-03-2007 23:12:07

Well, I do have a domain name. Connecting isn't a problem as I had my brother in law test it from his house in Utah. Connects fine.

The problem I have is that the ports at my work are blocked. So I was sort-of hoping that someone would have knowledge of maybe, a program called puTTy or some other port forward software that gets around 'firewalls' and such.

siit

14-03-2007 23:46:40

Can you browse the web from your office? if so, set your vibe server to port 80. that might work.

edit saw your comment on not bein a beginner.. so you most likely have tried that aswell p

Doc

15-03-2007 11:39:38

did you try to use a port masker such as webhop by dyndns? Like this you get webhop to do the port forwarding for you. setting it on port 80 may be tricky especially if you are already running a web server on your home network. alternatively, if you are not running some of the standrad services at home, you mey want to hijack those ports instead as yuor network admin probably has those open (the ftp port or the mail port for example 24/25).
Good luck!

better_tomorrow

18-03-2007 18:54:44

If you use Windows XP at your home and office, then setup your machine at home to act like a Virtual Private Network Server

http//www.onecomputerguy.com/networkin ... server.htm

Then setup your work PC as a client and connect to your VPN server at home

http//www.windowsecurity.com/articles/ ... ws-XP.html

If you have a firewall make sure you open up port 1723, allow IPSec and PPTP Pass Through on your router - if you have one, along with GRE 47. You probably don't need to worry about GRE 47, never the less it would be improper of me to not mention the protocol.

Lastly, business networks usually run VPNs so you can probably tunnel through their VPN pinhole to your home computer, and access your vibe streamer.

Best of luck.