Completely lost here -- tried everything

bcfour

02-01-2007 16:58:03

I'm not a technological idiot, but I feel like one right now. I've tried just about everything I can think of but I simply cannot get the Streamer to work internally or externally.

I'll describe my setup and the steps I've taken so far

Setup
Verizon DSL (Netopia) --> Netgear WPN824 Wireless Router --> My wired computer (192.168.1.2)

I've tried every port imaginable but have now just decided to stick with Port 80.

I've opened port 80 on the Netgear router to 192.168.1.2
I've opened port 80 on McAfee Personal Firewall
I've reconfigured the Vibe Streamer to port 80

I've set the "server" PC as a static IP (192.168.1.2) in Windows XP as suggested by the Portforward.com

I can log in to the Netgear router using the appropriate IP address8080 from an external computer so I know I can get that far. However, when I type in the appropriate IP address80 I get nothing.

If I go to any of my other PC's (wireless) on the network, I type in http//192.168.1.280 and get nothing.

I'm really at a loss as to why I can't get this to work. I've tried it with McAfee completely disabled. Doesn't work. Also, I have verified that Windows Firewall is turned off.

Any idea what I've overlooked or what could be wrong here?

I should say that the only services I have running under my Lan adapter are TCP/IP and QOS. Do I need to have any other client or service running there (for example, Client for Microsoft Windows)??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I should add that I can type my IP address in my own browser on the server machine and use the Streamer.

mbenita

02-01-2007 22:56:40

you may want to switch the port and pick one in the dynamic range.
The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those in the range 49152–65535.
Port 80 is a standard port for web request and I would not suggest you opening it the way you did. Check that your machines can communicate within your home network by opening a command line window (unedr start menu, select "Run..." and type "cmd" (without the quotes). then type ping [iybjroeo2]machine name[/iybjroeo2]. If you do not get an answer it means that your computers are on different ip range which you can check by doing ipconfig commands on each computer. regarding getting access through the outside, you will need your external address (your WAN address) which is available through your router. In my setup I used dyndns.org to create a dns name so I don't have to remember the ip address and just use a name. they also have a service called webhop to hide the port forwarding.
I hope this helps and I am sorry if you already knew all that.
Mickael

bcfour

02-01-2007 23:03:14

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give that a try tonight and get back to you on what I find.

I'm good with the WAN address -- I also use DynDns.org and have set up an easy to access url. I'm also using their IP autoupdate, so I know I can at least remove that from the equation.

bcfour

08-01-2007 16:05:26

I just wanted to post back for those that might stumble upon this thread in the future.

I had just above given up when I stumbled upon this thread after a Google search http//www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Buried in that massive page is a mention of a CISCO VPN Client (which I use to access a remote worksite from time to time).

The site had the following
[i3f1vk55g]Cisco VPN client

Mike Williams wrote on 2004-12-06

More searching turned up some similar problems, with systems that have Cisco VPN Client installed—which I have—and its "Deterministic Network Enhancer"—which my system has. Your guide mentioned this, with no further details. I don't know anything about network determinism, but none of the threads [in another discussion forum] had clear solutions, though, and I have now identified one.

There's an extra security feature in the Cisco application called "Stateful Firewall (Always On)" mainly for the benefit of wireless situations (it was turned on by default in the version I got from my company's tech support). The way this feature is set up is somewhat counter-intuitive, as it says "Always On" in its name, whether or not the feature is turned on. The on/off indicator is actually a checkmark next to the item.

Control of the feature can be accessed either through the client's Options menu or by right-clicking on the yellow padlock icon in the taskbar when the client's active. Simply clicking on the item toggles it on/off; a checkmark appears. There's virtually nothing on this in the Cisco literature. Disabling (unchecking) the feature cleared up the problem.

Chris in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA wrote on 2005-09-08

More searching turned up some similar problems, with systems that have Cisco VPN Client installed—which I have—and its "Deterministic Network Enhancer"—which my system has. Your guide mentioned this, with no further details. I don't know anything about network determinism, but none of the threads [in another discussion forum] had clear solutions, though, and I have now identified one.

There's an extra security feature in the Cisco application called "Stateful Firewall (Always On)" mainly for the benefit of wireless situations (it was turned on by default in the version I got from my company's tech support). The way this feature is set up is somewhat counter-intuitive, as it says "Always On" in its name, whether or not the feature is turned on. The on/off indicator is actually a checkmark next to the item.

Control of the feature can be accessed either through the client's Options menu or by right-clicking on the yellow padlock icon in the taskbar when the client's active. Simply clicking on the item toggles it on/off; a checkmark appears. There's virtually nothing on this in the Cisco literature. Disabling (unchecking) the feature cleared up the problem.[/i3f1vk55g]

---------------------
One week, a lot of four letter words, and it all had to do with that hidden file that I didn't even know was loading. A click of the checkbox to disable the "Stateful Firewall" and I can now see everything from this computer and vice versa.