How to run Vibe Streamer on Linux/Ubuntu using Wine

siit

02-01-2007 10:36:44

I got a mail from a friend that have successfully been running Vibe Streamer on Ubuntu using Wine (http//www.winehq.com/). Here's a quick guide for those of you that want to run the current Windows version of Vibe Streamer on Linux. This guide is for Ubuntu only but he stated it might work on other systems aswell.

* apt-get update && apt-get install mozilla-firefox wget wine
* wget <adress to vibestreamer-installation.exe>
* wine vibestreamer-installation.exe
* click "run vibe streamer" in the end of the installation,or start it using the "start" menu, or write "wine" and the path to vibestreamer.exe.. depending on how you want to start it.
* run firefox
* browse to the adress and the port for vibe streamer (http//localhost8081)
* if you haven't got it, install macromedia flash plugin (by following firefox own 'install missing plugin'-guide)
* if you don't get any sound from flash, edit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc and change FIREFOX_DSP="none" to FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" and run apt-get install alsa-oss.. then restart firefox.

For documentation on Vibe Streamer itself, check out the website and the forum.

That's it...

Thanks to Emil Lind for this quick guide. Try it out if you're interested and please give feedback if you think this guide need any updates.

inf3c73d

08-01-2007 09:35:39

this is step in the right direction )))

i have one question
what version of Ubuntu is used in the example?

the reason i'm asking is ... i have one small Ubuntu (6.06 Dapper Drake) server, and i tried with wine long ago. unfortunately when the GUI (Vibestreamer.exe) starts it is absolutely empty. i cannot add users or shares ... nothing.

flux

08-01-2007 19:13:07

I did it on Ubuntu Edgy/Eft i think.
But i have also encountered the problems you (inf3c73d) describe. But that was on an old Debian Unstable of some sort... No text was visible in any listboxes. But it was still useable. As long as you know where to click. =) After some practice i successfully got it up and running. And except from that little bug, and also a wine-related bug not releasing the socket when stopping the server in the gui, needing a restart - it works great!

I could investigate closer on the versions if it's of interest.

edit versions checked and corrected
/the friend

zds

24-02-2007 19:14:35

Installs on Ubuntu 6.06 with Wine 0.9.26. Connects internally. Problem connecting externally as below

Using Firefox 2 and IE7, able to make connection to the server, prompted for username/password, and then presented with this

[img3o8gvl6x]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5648/untitledyz4.jpg[/img3o8gvl6x]

All routing is properly configured.

Herman

27-02-2007 15:14:16

Same problem exist under Edgy and Feisty

baseballnut

09-03-2007 17:43:33

I followed the instructions, and everything works except for one key thing. I can't check the box for a user to access a share. Anyone know how to fix this?

I run Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy on a Dell Dimension 4700.

And Vibe works in Windows XP (on the same machine), btw.

Herman

18-03-2007 16:04:04

Yep - same here. It started after a Wine upgrade (I think to 0.9.30 - not sure about it) , so maybe downgrading to an older Wine version could be the solution - not tried yet

Herman

18-03-2007 16:21:20

In addition to my previous reply I downgraded to Wine 0.9.28 version and the problem with checking the username is gone.
See http//doc.gwos.org/index.php/HowToWine#Downgrade_wine

snollic

09-04-2007 15:02:37

Can you do it in textmode allso?

Herman

24-04-2007 22:27:32

Better! I upgraded to the final release of Ubuntu Feisty and it ALL WORKS!
Wine version is 9.35 now... D

nathanpalmer

12-07-2007 20:35:43

I'm getting this same problem. I was already on Ubuntu Feisty but my wine version was 0.9.33. I upgraded to the most recent which is 0.9.40 and I still get this trying to connect to it remotely.

It comes up just fine on the local machine. I'm trying to connect to it through the internet (hamachi.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nathan

Installs on Ubuntu 6.06 with Wine 0.9.26. Connects internally. Problem connecting externally as below

Using Firefox 2 and IE7, able to make connection to the server, prompted for username/password, and then presented with this

[img17giz0av]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5648/untitledyz4.jpg[/img17giz0av]

All routing is properly configured.[/quote17giz0av]

nathanpalmer

12-07-2007 20:40:43

I just downgraded to 0.9.35 and it worked this time. Must have a problem with the most recent versions.

Nathan

I'm getting this same problem. I was already on Ubuntu Feisty but my wine version was 0.9.33. I upgraded to the most recent which is 0.9.40 and I still get this trying to connect to it remotely.

It comes up just fine on the local machine. I'm trying to connect to it through the internet (hamachi.)

Any ideas?
[/quote2slvjt6e]

ids

18-10-2007 23:02:01

i am on fiesty with the latest wine. the app launches and seems to be working correctly expect that i get "webserver could not be started (check your settings)" my settings look right. i will try downgrading wine later. any other advice?

flux

04-11-2007 16:00:25

Many of you have probably already got this working. But since my first reported success in running vibestreamer on Linux using Wine I've also had theese issues with only getting the frameset and a bunch of code slamming me in the face. Today I got the need for listening to My own music, remotely, again, and this time I threw in the latest compiled binary from winehq. Now it works beautifully! Here's a proof of success for those of you that are still wondering... D

Using
Ubuntu 7.04 / Feisty
Package repos from
http//www.winehq.org/site/download-deb
Package wine
Version 0.9.47~winehq0~ubuntu~7.04-1

Also because I'm currently in the sofa in the livingroom I ofcourse use putty with an X11-Forward pointing at a local Xming X-window-server. Wich makes this even more cool. With the server-gui forwarded to my livingroom... and the webgui at my fingertips, playing the music, in my livingroom. But still not having to index music over cifs/samba, getting weird timeoutproblems and what not...

I don't see any reason for this not working with any other Linux distribution. Redhat, Suse, Slackware, Gentoo or whatever...

Thank you Wine ppl, and thank your Erik! Keep it up! wink

flux

04-11-2007 16:03:48

i am on fiesty with the latest wine. the app launches and seems to be working correctly expect that i get "webserver could not be started (check your settings)" my settings look right. i will try downgrading wine later. any other advice?[/quotec8hipipm]

This is probably a hanging wine process not getting properly closed when exiting vibestreamer-server. I sort this with a pkill -f wine (having checked i don't run any other wine-application ofcourse).

Otherwise safer way
ps -aux | grep wine
kill -9 <pid-of-wine>

rkillcrazy

27-11-2007 01:06:58

I have my audio files on a FreeNAS[/url15n7uc9m] box. I used to have them on my Win Vista box and Vibe Streamer worked fine when it was local. However, I hate Vista and have built an Ubuntu 7.10 x64 box. I have WINE installed and it seems to run Vibe Streamer just fine. Naturally, I wish to point it to the directory on my FreeNAS box that contains all my MP3s. However, I've tried doing this but it won't index. Well, it tries but it takes 0 seconds since the size of the share is showing as 0.00. I've tried using UNC paths like [b15n7uc9m]\\192.168.1.2\data\music[/b15n7uc9m] and even tried the Samba path like [b15n7uc9m]smb//192.168.1.2/data/music[/b15n7uc9m] but neither seem to work. I've tested it on the Vista PC by adding the UNC path to the share and it works fine so I'm guessing it's a WINE or Ubuntu issue and not the app itself. Any ideas?

11-26-07
1906 EST

flux

27-11-2007 07:13:25

Have you tried to mount it manually?
As with smbmount? And then enter the mountpoint as the "source" of your vibe-share.

flux

27-11-2007 07:15:49

Offtopic x86_64 sucks on linux. Ex if you like to use java-applets in firefox there are few options. And I found no good ones.
Edit x86_64 works ok now

rkillcrazy

27-11-2007 21:49:17

Have you tried to mount it manually?
As with smbmount? And then enter the mountpoint as the "source" of your vibe-share.[/quote2nuumsco]

I've only been using (playing with) Ubuntu for about a year or maybe slightly longer. What do you mean by that? I did try to go into the config setting for wine and map a drive and I mapped drive "D" to the share. This had no effect either. I did look up [b2nuumsco]smbmount[/b2nuumsco] and read the Wikipedia page however, since I'm still not a Linux guru, some of it sounded Greek to me.

11-27-07
1549 EST

flux

28-11-2007 07:42:59

This should help you translate the greek! =)
http//ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280473

burnbrown

30-11-2009 22:24:55

spent the last couple days building a new web server and followed the instructions posted here. I chose to download the .deb package and manually install wine http//www.lamaresh.net/binary.php (wine_1.1.33~winehq1-1_i386.deb)

Vibestreamer installed correctly and dropped a shortcut on the desktop that opened the app without issue, all functions seemed to have made it intact.

thx for the instructions.

usqur

21-12-2009 22:03:40

När är version 3.0.3 planerad att komma ut siit? Är sugen på den )

MockY

22-12-2009 19:15:29

När är version 3.0.3 planerad att komma ut siit? Är sugen på den )[/quote26ul19wb]
Menat som privat meddelande? Nog för att världen hade varit skojig ifall alla kunde prata svenska )

flux

21-07-2010 15:19:10

szenovera your question is off topic, but rightclick the .exe and in properties look for the checkbox named something like "executable". It needs to be checked. This is essentially the same as in terminal/console doing 'chmod +x file.exe' (unquoted). Good luck! Next download and run the vibestreamer installer. ;-)

pcpostar

03-01-2012 11:23:47

Hi guys!

I had same problem on windows - I was successfully running vibe streamer, but once after system restart i couldn't add sites access for users.
I reinstalled the vibe streamer and now it works again.

Raman11

18-07-2012 11:24:51

Not working for me..I am trying this one but not working...