A few neubie issues, please help

cheshireccat

22-09-2006 08:52:41

So, I have not been diddling about with it yet, but very well might find the reason for this. I have set up Vibe and when I click start, I get this message in the event log
Webserver could not be started (Could not bind socket to (All unassigned) port (8081))

Now, I am new to this, I was running apache and Zina, but I liked the interface, the login ability and the ability to run from server, and a lot of other frills.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE I have port forwarded 8081 on my router to this machine, I have unblocked the program via windows firewall.

WHAT I HAVE my configuration... Windows XP HE, nothing that would restrict the program on the internet besides windows firewall.

Any Ideas, I would appreciate it.

cheshireccat

22-09-2006 08:59:08

cheshireccat

22-09-2006 10:22:39

I have still been unable to test, so my last question is still valid. I have a new issue though, I am adding my music directories and it has been hung for some time saying it is indexing. It is indexing 9753 files and 765 folders. It's been 3 hours 20 minutes so far, how long should this take? I'm doing it from a network drive, so I know it will take a while, but just how long, I still have other drives with music that need listing.

So I cancelled and am adding each directory individually, 765 /2, I guess I have somewhere in the vacinity of 383 directories to add, see you folks in a couple months, unless someone might know why it freezes on indexing after it has already scanned and found the files? Could use a little help, would save me a lot of time. I could use that time elsewhere, learn a new language, get a bikini wax... something constuctive to better humanity....

g8trtim

22-09-2006 14:34:24

have you tried changing the port vibe is binding to? one such option would be port 80 which if you use apache, should already be forwarded.

about indexing a network drive... trying creating a local directory w/ a few folders and files... index that drive to make sure you get the desired result. should take less than 60 secs... my drive is ~40gig and it takes about 6 secs on average to index.

start eliminating variables to find your problem...

cheshireccat

22-09-2006 16:47:34

I can do index other directories on that drive, it is just when I get to the largest one that it freezes. And it worked binding it to another port, for some reason it was just the default port that didn't work

g8trtim

22-09-2006 17:07:42

seems like you have something already running on that port... or its within a range of ports used by something else...

rchamberlin

22-09-2006 17:20:17

Try changing the port to 8080. That is an alternative port for web traffic and isn't used too often. That's what ultimately fixed my problems.

cheshireccat

22-09-2006 17:47:39

Well, I can use http//localhost30 fine, works great. Actually been listing each directory individually, finally got it done after 4 hours. now I am trying to check and see if it will do external. anyone wanna check for me?

http//cheshireccat.homeip.net30

If you still think I should change the port, just post it

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
forgot to leave the login and password
Login test
Password test

g8trtim

23-09-2006 01:37:47

tried connect... guess the servers down

cheshireccat

23-09-2006 10:31:18

I left it on all night, I can't think of what else could cause this. I am leaving it on all day today (all night tonight for you Americans) in hopes someone will try again. Anyone have any ideas? I have been asked not to create a new thread, so I'll reply here. I have taken care of
port forwarding
dyndns
firewall
what else am I missing? driving me nuts? should I try a different port? could 30 be blocked for some reason? I should say I also reformatted and re installed, no difference, same issue so it wasn't a software issue.

I have switched the port to 80 so no one has to enter a port when going to the site
cheshireccat.homeip.net
L&P test test

g8trtim

23-09-2006 20:33:11

i tried connecting thru you hostname and IP... no dice... never pops up option for login... (US-Eastern time 230pm)

cheshireccat

24-09-2006 02:41:58

it was up. I had dyndns running and updated, I had my router forwarding port 80, whic I switched to, guess that was assumed as I didn't supply a port number, worked for localhost and well damn. I do have a dynamic IP, but that shouldn't matter since I have had the same IP for 4 months now, since I bought and installed my router, plus the DynDNS should update the address cheshireccat.homeip.net all the time. Anyone else have any ideas, this is puzzling, I know I must have done something wrong, I'm going to go over it again, but in the meantime, feel free to attempt to test it folks.

seans888

24-09-2006 06:04:44

I tried connecting to your site but unfortunately I can't. You might be using a dynamic IP instead of a static IP. That is why nobody can connect to your sever from the outside.

cheshireccat

24-09-2006 15:50:11

Well, I think I have found the problem, since my last reformat 2 days ago, I can no longer access any programs externally. No VNC access, no FTP access. I haven't found the issue, but now I know it is no longer only an issue regarding vibe, it is all external access, I have ruled out any issues regarding Vibe directly, so no more need for this thread... thanks for your help folks, sorry I dragged it on so long, I didn't have access to an external machine and wasted your time, sorry folks... Once I get it up and running I will keep the test account active so you guys can try it out.

cheshireccat

25-09-2006 10:47:42

Well, good news, I left it searching for music last night now that I have reformatted, and someone logged on, listened to a song and logged off, it now works and I'm leaving test account open for a few days if anyone wants to use it. As for the issue, I figured it out, I was trying out a new anti-virus/firewall and I selected the type of network I have in the firewall software, 'home' network and it automatically set itself to block all incoming traffic, I found this little tidbit of info after searching other threads and seeing similar issues and they listed their firewall as bitdefender, so if someone has a similar issue see if they have bit defender. Thanks for trying to help folks.

g8trtim

25-09-2006 15:35:31

firewalls are the first thing to check!!

glad you got it up and running... I'm on it now and working pretty well... decent download speeds...

ill shoot you a PM w/ my contact, throw me an email if you want to trade user/pw info...