Vibe Streamer as a service in Windows XP.

better_tomorrow

31-08-2006 03:49:36

[b1t5dsurg]Vibe Streamer as a service for Windows XP or Server 2003[/b1t5dsurg]

(Credit to Mp3Maniac and Phil)

[b1t5dsurg]Newer way[/b1t5dsurg]

Download the Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools here
http//www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=17657

Install rktools to default path (C\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools)

Method One

In the command prompt type/ paste

"C\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\INSTSRV.EXE" VibeStreamer "C\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe "

Another Method

Copy INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE (from C\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools) to Windows\System 32

Go into start | run | type/paste cmd or cmd.exe

In the command prompt type/ paste

C\windows\system32\INSTSRV.EXE VibeStreamer C\windows\system32\srvany.exe

Next open regedit.exe = Start | run | regedit.exe

Navigate to this registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VibeStreamer

From the Edit menu, click Add Key and name it Parameters thus giving you a new 'folder'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VibeStreamer\Parameters

Next from the Edit menu, click Add String Value - add this information to the newly created String Value key.

Value Name Application
Data Type REG_SZ
Edit the string value and enter "C\location of Vibe folder\vibestreamer.exe" -service

Once Again click Add String Value - add this information to the newly created String Value key.

Value Name AppDirectory
Data Type REG_SZ
Edit the string value and enter C\location of Vibe folder

Start service.

Go into start | run | type cmd or cmd.exe

next type/ paste net start vibestreamer

[b1t5dsurg]Older Way (May work with older Windows systems)[/b1t5dsurg]

Download the Windows NT/ 2000 Resource kit from here
http//www.tacktech.com/pub/microsoft/service/srvany.zip

Unzip the files to C\reskit

Go into start | run | type cmd or cmd.exe

In the command prompt type

C\reskit\INSTSRV.EXE VibeStreamer C\reskit\SRVANY.EXE

Next open regedit.exe Start | run | regedit.exe

From the Edit menu, click Add Key and name it Parameters thus giving you

Next from the Edit menu, click Add String Value - add this information to the newly created String Value key.

Value Name Application
Data Type REG_SZ
Edit the string value and enter C\location of Vibe folder\vibestreamer.exe -service

Go to C\location of Vibe folder

Copy all files except vibestreamer.exe to C\Windows\System32

Now go to Start | Control Panel | Admistrative Tools | Services | VibeStreamer

Set your start up choice.

Click on the Log On tab, check the box - Allow service to interact with desktop.

Start service.

Service /vibe server should start and run more efficently.

Close the service menu.

Run the following from command prompt to remove the service
c\reskit\INSTSRV.EXE VibeStreamer REMOVE

siit

31-08-2006 12:37:32

Hey there, nice that someone has finally test this.
I know there are quite a few out there that want to get this working.
Although I haven't yet been able to try it out myself, but when i read it I reacted a bit on this line

"Copy all files except vibestreamer.exe to C\Windows\System32"

Do you mean copying all files in the vibe root folder together with the skins folder? Maybe I misunderstood, but if I didn't, then wouldn't it be much better to simply try mapping the vibe streamer server to the PATH map in your windows os? ie "SET PATH" etcetc..

please corrent me if I'm wrong ]

better_tomorrow

31-08-2006 16:04:34

You're probably right.

With work and everything I'm usually a little too busy to fully test or explore things.

better_tomorrow

01-09-2006 03:01:14

I just received some free time so I took a better look at this "problem" and the set path option didn't work for me, nor did adjusting the environmental variables manually.

I attempted various environmental variable configuations but I could not achieve the desired result.

Hopefully, adjusting the environmental variables will for whoever chooses such an option, if not then the above method will work.

Phil

01-09-2006 21:20:13

I just gave this a try and it did not work. I'm checking for errors on my part, but I thought I was pretty thourogh in following the instructions.

EDIT I double-checked for errors and found none. I was hoping this would work!

better_tomorrow

02-09-2006 00:03:41

This does work.

I edited the the text to correct any confusion.

You can also try this

http//www.tudy.ro/2006/07/13/run-an-ap ... a-service/

Phil

02-09-2006 22:51:11

I used the files you provided as opposed to the ones I had downloaded directly from Microsoft's FTP server, went through the setup again and it worked. Weird, but it's a go now. Thanks for posting this! )

DDS

10-10-2006 13:09:50

I have not got this to work on a 2003 Server. I setup the service like posted and the service starts and a proccess of vibestreamer.exe is running but the program doesn't load in the Taskbar and thus doesn't run. Can't connect with web browser. If I manualy click the Icon to load it works fine.

Thanks for any input.... )

better_tomorrow

16-10-2006 15:29:02

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been busy with alot of work projects.

Regarding this service not working properly on Server 2003, make sure that select the option to allow the service to interact with the desktop whenever you use the local system account.

Also make sure that you enable the vibe streamer to start on startup.

Lastly, if you are running Windows 2003 for terminal services or various adminstrative rdp connections, the vibe streamer service tends to shutdown after various logons.

To resolve this I recommend that you create a new general user account for this service. If you run IIS, then you should have hardened the service by creating a new basic account with a strong password. I prefer to use this basic account created for IIS - to run the vibe server.

This will hopefully allow the vibe service to run intact, regardless of who is logged on.

DDS

16-10-2006 16:09:04

Thanks for your reply,
I have already tried those to no avail. The service is running a process but the app doesn't load by the service. The service doesn't use any resources. I have tried to use it as two different users, also tried with the use local service and interact with desktop. That didn't work either. When I launch the shortcut Icon to Vibe it loads another instance of the Vibserver process and does load the app and works fine.

Still looking for a soulution and thanks again for your support/input. )

better_tomorrow

16-10-2006 19:08:05

I'm just taking a guess, but is the icon you click to start Vibe Streamer mapped to a location other than C\Windows\System32?

For instance is the icon you click to start the service mapped to C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\; or is this icon on the system tray.

If the icon is on the system tray, then the service is working, it's just not starting automatically .

If the icon is on your desktop or start up menu then, it is mapped to your installation directory.

When using the vibe streamer as a service, the service will map to the C\Windows\System32 location; that's why you must copy all the installation files to the System32 directory.

If you did copy all the files to C\Windows\System32 or if you attempted and succeeded in changing your environmental variables to openly map your default installation, then the problem maybe third party software.

If you use McAfee Anti Virus Enterprise Edition or any other anvirus software, then you may be blocked from making certain changes. You will need to modify these settings.

You may also have insufficient adminstrative privileges. Did you install the service as an administrator, if not then attempt to do so.

What version of Server 2003 you are using?

I tested this service on the the Server 2003 Enterprise Edition w/ SP1.

If you're using R2, then there maybe certain modification on that particular OS which don't support this application to service software.

better_tomorrow

20-10-2006 17:02:26

I think I understand the issuance of problem here.

After some futher thought on this problem I realized that I failed to mention (within my original post) that you need to install and setup the vibe streamer application completely before attempting to run it as a service.

This isn't too much of a qualm on Windows XP because there will usually be a sytem tray icon. Thus, the service can be setup from the system tray icon.

Never the less, I recommend that you still setup the vibe streamer application to specifications; then copy all the files from your installation directory to the system 32 folder. Afterwards setup the application as a service.

Not doing the service setup within this order will create a major issue on Server 2003. Due to the nature and potential usage of Server 2003, you will probably not have a system tray icon when using the vibe application application as a service.

Thus you will need to setup the vibe streamer application first, make sure you set the application to start automatically. Then copy the files as previously stated. Make sure you also use a seperate basic account for the service- try not to use the local system account - this will keep the service from freezing up between Server 2003 user logins.

Only after doing this will the service work properly.

Note - Sorry for the double post, I didn't want edit any of the above text(s). I felt a new post would warrant much more attention to this requirement.

dsgreen30

29-08-2007 21:06:37

I'm still having trouble getting the service to run unless I log in as a user. I would prefer the service to start (Just as my Apache service does) whenever the system is started.

Currently I still have to actually log a user in to get Vibe to run, and then I have to leave that account logged in basically forever.

Is there anything else I might be missing?

mp3maniac

30-08-2007 18:51:43

What I have found to work the best on my Windows 2003 server (would be the same for XP) so that I do not have to have a user logged in.

First as local administrator or equivalent user, do as the first message in this set of posts states and create a Vibe Streamer service. The instructions are easy to follow.

To get to services you can right click on My Computer and choose Manage if you want. Under Services and Applications, click on Services. You can also go to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Scroll the list to find the Vibestreamer service that you created.

After the service has been created and you have done as instructed, setting the Allow service to interact with desktop. Start the service. You should see the Vibe Streamer icon appear in the task bar. If the main window does not open double click on the icon. Set up Vibe Streamer with the users and shares and security and whatever else you like, then start the server. Make sure you set the Activate server on proram startup under the Settings tab. Test Vibe Streamer from your browser to make sure all is good.

Next edit the service, right click on the service and select Properties. In the Properties box select the Log On tab. Here you can select which account the service will run as. This is important because Vibe Streamer needs access to local resources, such as the hard drive, etc. Using the local system account works fine when you allow the service to interact with the desktop but I found this to be a bit of an issue when the user logged out.

So in the Log On properties section click on the radio button in front of This account. Type the name of a local account that the service can use to logon and access local resources. You can even create an account that has basic rights to the necessary resources. If you do this, make sure the account has been granted access to things like the folders that contain your files. I used the administrator account or you can use your own user account. It depends on the level of security you need.

Once you have entered the username and password click OK. The service if running needs to be restarted. If it is not running start it. If the service starts then all is good. If it doesn't start you will need to check the username and password to make sure it is correct. And yes, the user object must have a password.

Check your work by firing up your browser and hitting the vibestreamer server. It should work like a charm, my does. Now no user needs to be logged in and Vibe Streamer will start when your Computer Starts with no user interaction needed.

Only one drawback, if you ever need to change the Vibe Streamer settings you will have to change the service back to log on as local system account with interact with desktop set so you can make the changes then change the service back again.

Hope this is helpful.

aikeru

23-04-2008 22:09:46

Excellent!!! Thank you so much for this information! I haven't tried it yet but I have experience as a sys admin and appdev and I know your instructions are solid. )

Again, thanks, don't know why I couldn't think of this kind of thing b4.

kalobar

06-08-2008 10:30:44

I have a problem with VS running as services when it restarts (e.g. at server reboot) all users lose all their playlists. Playlists seem only to remain when VS is run as normal application and not as a service. Any solutions? Anything I am missing? thanks for your ideas...!

PS also posted a thread on this (http//www.vibestreamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592) but no solution there yet

Pieter

14-10-2009 12:10:25

Running as a service doesn't shutdown the application gracefully, it just terminates it. VS only saves the playlists on a gracefull exit.

The way to solve this would be to change the playlist handling in VS.
Perhaps save the playlists on every change?
I suppose the programmer has a good reason to save the playlist in VS on exit only.

I have a problem with VS running as services when it restarts (e.g. at server reboot) all users lose all their playlists. Playlists seem only to remain when VS is run as normal application and not as a service. Any solutions? Anything I am missing? thanks for your ideas...!

siit

14-10-2009 12:24:47

Vibe Streamer 3 saves playlists whenever they are added, deleted or modified. Although other server settings and user data is saved at a regular time interval, so Vibe Streamer 3 should be able to be shutdown non-gracefully.. although as with any application I can't give any guarantees or recommendations to just terminate the application every time and expect it to handle it at 100% P

Pieter

14-10-2009 12:37:22

When running VS 3 as a service, there is no need to move all the VS files to "C\Windows\System32".

When using srvany.exe, the version in the Windows 2003 resourcekit, you can specify an AppDirectory in the srvany service. I just put srvany.exe in the VS directory "C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer".

Used the following parameters
Application="C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\vibestreamer.exe"
AppDirectory="C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer"

To avoid problems, I also use a dedicated account to run the srvany service.

The account for srvany just needs limited user rights to run VS.
Execute rights on "C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer" and below (any normal user account has this)
Write rights on settings, database and logging directories.
Read rights on your shared directories.

Phil

14-10-2009 20:23:33

When using srvany.exe, the version in the Windows 2003 resourcekit, you can specify an AppDirectory in the srvany service. I just put srvany.exe in the VS directory "C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer".

Used the following parameters
Application="C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\vibestreamer.exe"
AppDirectory="C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer"[/quote3newdssq]

Can you please elaborate on this? Are you adding the AppDirectory string to the Parameters folder in the registry? Why does the srvany.exe need to placed in the VS installation directory?

I'm attempting to get this to work under Windows 7 Professional x64 RTM.

Phil

15-10-2009 23:38:04

OK, I give up. I'm able to get the service installed and start it, see it running in Process Explorer, but I'm unable to connect to it nor does it interact with the desktop although it is set to do so.

The VS logs show that it is running as well. I'm wondering if this has something to do with Windows permissions? I've already tried disabling the firewall and anti-virus without luck.

[codeyn8p9pil]INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.0

INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates

INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] UpdateDialog - You are running the latest available version of Vibe Streamer

INFO [2009-10-15 14:38:20] Core - Cleaning up server

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:22] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:23] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.0

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:23] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:24] UpdateDialog - You are running the latest available version of Vibe Streamer

INFO [2009-10-15 15:03:21] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2009-10-15 15:03:22] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.0

INFO [2009-10-15 15:03:22] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates[/codeyn8p9pil]

Pieter

16-10-2009 18:45:40

It doesn't make any difference where you put srvany.exe.
I just put it in the VS folder, because I only use it to run VS.

Yes, you add the AppDirectory string to the Parameters folder in the registry.
http//baza-winner.ru/dist/srvany.txt

I have VS as a service working under Windows 2008 standard X86.

I don't see the HTTP server starting in your log.
Have you enabled "Auto-start server at startup" in VS?

The best way is, to get it up and runnig as a normal program first.
You need to open a port for VS in the firewall.

If it is working, try running it as a service.

OK, I give up. I'm able to get the service installed and start it, see it running in Process Explorer, but I'm unable to connect to it nor does it interact with the desktop although it is set to do so.

The VS logs show that it is running as well. I'm wondering if this has something to do with Windows permissions? I've already tried disabling the firewall and anti-virus without luck.

[codex99uw9ks]INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.0

INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates

INFO [2009-10-15 14:31:02] UpdateDialog - You are running the latest available version of Vibe Streamer

INFO [2009-10-15 14:38:20] Core - Cleaning up server

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:22] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:23] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.0

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:23] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates

INFO [2009-10-15 14:39:24] UpdateDialog - You are running the latest available version of Vibe Streamer

INFO [2009-10-15 15:03:21] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2009-10-15 15:03:22] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.0

INFO [2009-10-15 15:03:22] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates[/codex99uw9ks][/quotex99uw9ks]

Phil

16-10-2009 19:05:36

Thanks for taking the time to reply Pieter. I have Vibe Streamer working fine both internally and externally when launched from the desktop. Auto-start is enabled as well (although I do not have a 'settings.xml' file mentioned in another thread). The log files look the same whether I launch VS from the desktop or restart the VS service. There is no mention of a HTTP server starting...

My guess at this point is that it has something to do with UAC and how the different windows accounts are communicating (or not communicating in this case). I could be wrong, but I don't know what else it could be.

Phil

16-10-2009 21:56:07

The planets have aligned!

I was finally able to get Vibe Streamer to run as a service. I'm not quite sure what the problem was, but this time when I started Vibe Streamer it had not been configured at all which means that it was associated with the service Vibe Streamer vs. the local install. Once configured it now starts up as a service at system boot. Thanks Peiter for the AppDirectory tip, worked well and thanks to the others who documented how to do this.

anne

18-11-2009 10:20:27

I don't know why, but the services i added did not start at all. When i am simply logged in as a administrator and tried to start it from services.msc i get the error message 1053, the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
I can simply start the program and stop it without problems, but is it so that this problem occurs only on my w2003 server?
Wha, never mind, if it is the cause of Windows...... i resign.

I still have not a good procedure for trying this well, can anyone set this procedure neatly in order? because i find it hard to add a service srvany instead of vibestreamer.exe and the last one is accepted, the first one i can't find.
I did this
C\Tools>instsrv "Vibestreamer" c\tools\srvany.exe
and removed it because i cannot change the path to executable, it is greyd out.
C\Tools>instsrv "Vibestreamer" c\tools\srvany.exe C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\vibestreamer.exe
Gives the same result...
A service was created named Vibesteamer but it pointed to srvany.exe and not to vibestreamer.exe. When i delete an make another like this
C\Tools>instsrv "Vibestreamer" C\Program Files\Vibe Stream
er\vibestreamer.exe
It points to the program alright, but gives me the error.
So, does anyone has a how to...?

mp3maniac

18-11-2009 19:11:17

I have put together instructions on the way I have set up my server and it works great. Follow these instuctions carefully and you should be good to go.
One point to remember, if you are in the habit of administering your server using Remote Desktop, make sure you start Remote Desktop with the /admin switch. i.e. %SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /admin. This will get you the console window and you will be able to manage the server more effectively.

Make sure you have admin rights to do this.

1 - Download the Windows 2003 Resource kit from here http//www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
Install the resource kit. The location will end up C\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools. Copy srvany.exe and instsrv.exe to C\windows\system32

2 - Go into start | run | type cmd or cmd.exe
In the command prompt type
C\windows\system32\INSTSRV.EXE VibeStreamer C\windows\system32\srvany.exe

3 - Next open regedit.exe Start | run | regedit.exe

From the Edit menu, click Add Key and name it Parameters thus giving you

4 - Next from the Edit menu, click Add String Value - add this information to the newly created String Value key.
Value Name Application
Data Type REG_SZ
Edit the string value and enter "C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\vibestreamer.exe -service

5 - Now run VibeStreamer from the default location and configure it the way you want it. Make sure you do the following. In the Server Settings, first set the port under Server entry to what you want it to be, now under General you check all the boxes and save changes. The other settings are up to you, but make sure you save changes. Create your users, groups and set up your shares and index them and finally start the server. Now close VibeStreamer.

6 - Go to "C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer" folder and copy all files to C\Windows\System32 - Remember copy not move!

7 - Now go to Start | Control Panel | Admistrative Tools | Services |
Find VibeStreamer and Set your start up choice. Automatic is preferred.

8 - Click on the Log On tab, check the box - Allow service to interact with desktop. Apply and Start service. Close the service menu.

Note Run the following from command prompt if you need to remove the service C\windows\system32\INSTSRV.EXE VibeStreamer REMOVE

To make the service truly independant, do the following

1 - First as local administrator or equivalent user, after the service has been created and you have done as instructed, setting the Allow service to interact with desktop. Start the service. You should see the Vibe Streamer admin console should appear and VibeStreamer server should be running. Double check all your settings and make sure you save changes. Test Vibe Streamer from your browser to make sure all is good.

2 - Next edit the service, right click on the service and select Properties. In the Properties box select the Log On tab. Here you can select which account the service will run as. This is important because Vibe Streamer needs access to local resources, such as the hard drive, etc. Using the local system account works fine when you allow the service to interact with the desktop but I found this to be a bit of an issue when the user logged out.

3 - In the Log On properties section click on the radio button in front of This account. Type the name of a local account that the service can use to logon and access local resources. You can even create an account that has basic rights to the necessary resources. If you do this, make sure the account has been granted access to things like the folders that contain your files. I use the administrator account but you can use your own user account. It depends on the level of security you need.

4 - Once you have entered the username and password click OK. The service if running needs to be restarted. If it is not running start it. If the service starts then all is good. If it doesn't start you will need to check the username and password to make sure it is correct. And yes, the user object must have a password. Using this method you will not see the admin console on the desktop.

5 - Check your work by firing up your browser and hitting the vibestreamer server. It should work like a charm, mine does. Now no user needs to be logged in and Vibe Streamer will start when your Computer Starts with no user interaction needed.

Note Only one drawback, if you ever need to change the Vibe Streamer settings you will have to change the service back to log on as local system account with interact with desktop set so you can make the changes then change the service back again.

Hope this helps.

Phil

18-11-2009 19:17:20

Thanks for putting everything into a single detailed write-up mp3maniac. Very nice!

I would like to suggest that in step 6 instead of copying the files to System32 directory that another registry key be added AppDirectory="C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer" where the app directory string is the location of the Vibe Streamer installation. I'm currently using this with my setup and it works great and eliminates the need to add additional files to the System32 directory.

I guess it would also be worth mentioning that this works on Windows XP, Server 2003 (most likely on 2008), Vista and 7 (I haven't tried on home editions however).

mp3maniac

18-11-2009 19:28:14

Great idea Phil. Thanks

At step 6 instead of copy all files use regedit. Navigate to this registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VibeStreamer\Parameters
From the Edit menu, click Add String Value - add this information to the newly created String Value key.
Value Name AppDirectory
Data Type REG_SZ
Edit the string value and enter C\Program Files\Vibe Streamer

Phil

18-11-2009 19:30:49

Credit goes to Pieter for suggesting the AppDirectory trick. )

anne

24-11-2009 08:22:30

Thanks guys, i'm sure going to try this step-by-step.
I hope it helps, and i hope future versions of VS have this option through installation, makes things so much easier....

I'll let you know if it worked for me...

Thanks.

usqur

27-11-2009 16:14:57

Hello im new at this. Can i make my own plugin on the left side of my vibestream page, and just fill it with text or html cause i want to make a addon for ex. news or something like that. So if anyone knows how to do it, Please let me know the code for a simple addon with nothing in it.

Thnx / Oscar

Phil

28-11-2009 00:08:25

Yes, you can make your own plug-ins. Siit is going to release a how-to on how to do this.

anne

31-01-2010 18:22:22

So much explaining and still it did not work. Today i installed a new server, no active dir, no IIS started, no Apache, SQL, PHP or what. Even in the services service i copied the start line c\Program Files\Vibe Streamer\vibestreamer.exe in start - run and it started. But when i try to start it from services it gives me the error {could not start the vibestreamer service on local computer. Error 1053 - and more bla}
Microsoft start blabbering about running interact with desktop, wich i did, several times already before when this whole operation didn't work either....
So, is it to hard to make vibestreamer standard as a installed service? it would make things like these much better.

Thank you very very very very much.

Stuartbe

17-02-2010 23:58:22

I have found another way to get vibestreamer going as a system service with no users logged on.

Its not ideal as there is no access to the gui aside from the http side.

Steps are simple.

Create a user account on the machine you are running the streamer on, You dont have to but this will help keep the machine secure should a security breach be found.

Create a new sheduled task to start when windows starts / powers on.

Give it the vibestreamer.exe file to run, Go into advanced and disable the 72h stop options.

Then edit the security permitions on all sensitive folders in the system for additional security. Run the task and you should get a message informing the new user account has been granted service log on rights. This will prevent any access rights from the vibeserver.exe thread. Deny security for sensitive folders gives an extra layer of protection.

Reboot machine and though not visible the streamer should be running on your configured port.

Hope this is of help though has most likely been done before. If it is usefull I will create a step by step to help less technical users.

All the best )

Stuart

Frank2808

18-02-2010 19:03:20

Just a note, there are different versions of these utilities for XP and Windows Server 2003. I tried the files in the original post and the service would not start. I found a link somewhere to a different resource kit specific to Server 2003, followed the directions with the new utilities, and it worked perfect.

anne

24-02-2010 11:43:17

The right course would be then Show us the info where you got that.... )

anne

02-03-2010 16:09:59

Hi here, D

As i promised i reïnstalled a new and fresh server without any pooha! and did step-by-step what mp3maniac summoned idea
And it worked this time as a charm, just like all the other happy people.

I'm thinking of a script that you can run after VS is installed, letting it install as a service.... Anyone that handy with writing a simple scriptfile, daring to try that?
I'm willing to try but i have also gained through my move, a license problem on my mailserver, and that is top priority now so, can't do the trying right away.

Gentlemen, Thank you!

Anne

anne

02-03-2010 18:52:21

That said i came upon a few minor problems when i turned this to the production environment with Active Directory.
The network path to the Netware server was gone. In Windows 2003 server My computer, i saw all the available networkdrives, when i started remote VS i could log in but not hearing any song. Turning back to the server i saw that the maps i shared were empty. Resulting in adding or edit the shares. I saw only the A, C and D drives, no networkdrive. When i browsed to my network neighbourhood, i could add the folder after logging again in my edirectory.
Do you still follow me?
So, i did and now i am trying to hear a song or two...
Unfortunately when Windows restarts, it needs the authentication issue with the Netware server, and that my friends is not possible without intervention from a user.
So this service for Vibestreamer.... DOES NOT WORK FOR ME! x YET!

So if i have a very large disk in my Windows Server, and put all my music there, and let VS point in that direction, it can work.

It was certainly worth trying.

mp3maniac

03-03-2010 14:23:15

Hello Anne,

Using VS as a service is the way to go but as you can see, mapped drives are only available when a user is logged on. You need a local file store for VS to access when no one is logged in.

Sorry but that is the nature of the beast.

mp3maniac

03-03-2010 19:28:03

In response to many posts about setting up VS to run as a service. I wrote a little app that should help. Download and install VAAS (VibeStreamer As A Service) and follow the directions.

Here is the link http//www.mediafire.com/file/g5mimgumxmo/VAASsetup.exe

Using this I can get VS setup as a service in less than 5 minutes. This obviously does not include any file indexing. It should simplify the setup for all of the Vibe Streamer lovers out there.

I am releasing it as freeware with the approriate licensing. Hope it helps everyone.

rkillcrazy

05-03-2010 20:48:35

In response to many posts about setting up VS to run as a service. I wrote a little app that should help. Download and install VAAS (VibeStreamer As A Service) and follow the directions.

Here is the link http//www.mediafire.com/file/g5mimgumxmo/VAASsetup.exe

Using this I can get VS setup as a service in less than 5 minutes. This obviously does not include any file indexing. It should simplify the setup for all of the Vibe Streamer lovers out there.

I am releasing it as freeware with the approriate licensing. Hope it helps everyone.[/quotejexooc0a]

Does it work on other operating systems? Meaning, will it work on Vista-32/64, Win7-32/64, 2008-32/64/R2, et cetera?

mp3maniac

07-03-2010 05:26:47

Hi rkillcrazy

I have tested VAAS on 32 bit Windows XP/2003 and was written primarily for that. I have also tested it on 32 bit Windows Vista and 7 and if you disable UAC it should work. I don't have 64 bit versions of Windows or Windows 2008 available to me so I cannot say for sure what will happen.

xantes

29-05-2010 13:15:57

Should you need to run Vibe Streamer in Windows 7(already tested and currently running) as a service here is the necessary application that will surely make Vibe Streamer to run as a service
[url=http//www.pirmasoft.com/runassvc.php[/color3617azu9]]http//www.pirmasoft.com/runassvc.php[/color3617azu9]

Since that application was made to work in Win XP and myself tested in Win 7, only I am very sure will certainly work in Xp with no glitch. I personally didn't tested it in XP but like I said I'm pretty sure that works flawlessly.

wolf_says

27-10-2010 19:55:20

Thanks for putting everything into a single detailed write-up mp3maniac. Very nice! D

mp3maniac

30-10-2010 23:23:49

You're welcome.

youtube_video

29-11-2010 10:21:53

You are proparly right, Thanks for your information.

youtube

03-12-2010 10:47:20

I just like it thank you.

hnn

22-05-2011 12:16:34

Sharing my experience on configuring Vibestreamer as a service on Windows Server 2008 and 2008R2

Everything works, I follow the usual procedure using INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE, set the service under SYSTEM and allow service to interact with desktop.

Make sure you have the service "Interactive Services Detection" running and set to start automatically.

The 'AppParameters' value set to registry does not work on 2008 or at least for me, so I have to copy files from Vibestreamer install dir to SYSWOW64 directory (not system32) on 64 bit server system.

So there you go, with this configuration, it's working fine.

satrapad

27-05-2011 15:29:37

I am using NSSM (http//iain.cx/src/nssm/) on Windows Server 2008 R2 to run VS as a service. In my opinion, SRVANY is kind of unreliable and out of date.

Mastakilla

22-09-2011 13:55:51

Should you need to run Vibe Streamer in Windows 7(already tested and currently running) as a service here is the necessary application that will surely make Vibe Streamer to run as a service
http//www.pirmasoft.com/runassvc.php

Since that application was made to work in Win XP and myself tested in Win 7, only I am very sure will certainly work in Xp with no glitch. I personally didn't tested it in XP but like I said I'm pretty sure that works flawlessly.[/quote2jv2g95f]
I just tried this and it is not working for me (

The service installs and starts fine when running the above program as administrator, but VibeStreamer is not listening.

I'm running win7x64 and I've tried
* running the service as SYSTEM (default when you follow the instructions above)
* running the service as SYSTEM and "Allow service to interact with desktop"
* running the service as my own user
* I tried all the above with
- no parameters
- specifying the parameter "-service" in the RunAsSvc program
- specifying the parameter "-service" in the Windows service properties

Nothing works...
In all cases the Vibestreamer process runs fine, but it ain't listening

In the log file I find the following, whenever I start the service
[quote2jv2g95f]INFO [2011-09-22 175928] Core - Initializing server

INFO [2011-09-22 175928] MainWindow - Vibe Streamer 3.0.2

INFO [2011-09-22 175928] UpdateDialog - Checking for new updates

INFO [2011-09-22 175928] UpdateDialog - You are running the latest available version of Vibe Streamer[/quote2jv2g95f]
But when I run VibeStreamer manually, nothing gets added to the log.
I do see the GUI mentioning the following
[quote2jv2g95f]2011-09-22 180913 Vibe Streamer 3.0.2
2011-09-22 180913 Server started. IP address 0.0.0.0, Port 8081[/quote2jv2g95f]
This makes me think that the settings of Vibestreamer (eg "Auto-start server at startup") are not loaded when starting VibeStreamer as service.
The VibeStreamer process is started, but the server not...

I suspect that this is related to the "working path" for the service not working correctly (although I did set it in RunAsSvc)

I also just tried to place runassvc.exe in VibeStreamer folder, but also that does not help...

can anyone help me out please?

Thanks!

Mastakilla

22-09-2011 18:44:35

I also just tried what mp3maniac suggested on page 2 (how on earth are we supposed to know that we need to look on page 2?).
I did not copy any files to sys32 though, cause that is not "nice"... I tried phil's suggestion to create an AppDirectory parameter in the registry.

Unfortunately that also does not work for me (
Once more the vibestreamer process starts, but the server is not listening

I tried both with and without quotes around paths containing spaces, but again nothing helps...
This time it doesn't even log anything in the log file (

Mastakilla

22-09-2011 19:47:10

and finally I've also tried with NSSM and once more.... it doesnt work (
it does again log in the log file, but it doesnt start the server

Doylee

24-09-2011 06:43:04

Yes dude , must try it hope you feel better. It's awesome.

Mastakilla

18-10-2011 22:11:16

anyone please?

mp3maniac

19-10-2011 20:13:55

Hi, on page 3 is a link to an app I wrote called VibeStreamer as a Service. If you haven't tried it do so, it may help. I don't have time to support it or update it but I still use it to set VS up myself.

Its_me

12-11-2011 05:55:15

Can somebody tell me... since this topic here got the most replies...
Which mp3 player do you guys use? How do you play the music?
Winamp? Windows media? Real time? Quick Time? VLC? and how do you set it up?
I dont think anybody has answer this question yet...I've been looking around for hours, for an answer...but nothing.
By the way...its 2011 now, November.... D

mp3maniac

14-11-2011 17:26:14

You obviously are not familiar with Vibe Streamer or the purpose of this particular forum topic.

VS is a MP3 music streaming server that uses a web browser and Flash app to play the music (that will be within the browser). VS is installed on a machine and it becomes the backend HTTP server. From another computer on your home network or Internet, if you configure your router properly, you can then access your music collection and stream said music to the local machine.

better_tomorrow

27-01-2012 22:32:44

Front post has been updated; hopefully it works for everyone.

nuttyriv3r

15-05-2012 22:15:46

As an update. Wanted to let everyone know - thanks to this post - I got Vibe Streamer working as a service. I had to do a couple additional things, though, and thought I'd post in case others might find it helpful.

First of all, this bit of info was most helpful Make sure you have the service "Interactive Services Detection" running and set to start automatically, and the part about moving all files to SysWow which needs to be done if you are on a 64 bit OS.

The other bit that wasn't mentioned anywhere, is that I had to move the files within the Virtual Store for Vibe Streamer created in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to the SysWow directory as well.
C\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Vibe Streamer is the path where I found those files.

Once all of that was in place and made sure Interactive Services Detection was running, and the Vibe Streamer service was running, I was able to access Vibe Streamer fine without needing to log in to Windows taboot.

Thanks to the original poster for getting this figured out and sharing. What a headache portion of setting up what is a really sweet freebie. Nice work on this app.

Raman11

18-07-2012 11:23:40

Great thanks for sharing..