Problems Accessing Internally

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 03:57:01

I just discovered Vibe Streamer today and am THRILLED! It's exactly the solution I was looking for - I'm at my desk at work most of the day, and have yet to find any streaming radio station I can listen to all day. I've got a ton of MP3s at home, but had no way to listen to them.

Until now!

I have remote desktop set up, so from work today I downloaded and installed Vibe Streamer on my home PC and configured the router to forward on the appropriate non-standard port. It worked great! I even set up another user account and had a friend test it. We had some streaming issues, but I think it's just my sucky DSL connection.

The problem I am posting about, however, is here at home. On an XP desktop, and an XP laptop (via wireless connection), I am unable to access the server. It simply says, "The page cannot be displayed." I get this when trying the internal IPport, NetBIOS_nameport, or DynDNS_domanIP. All of those work just fine on the PC running the server. And it happens in IE and in Maxthon. I can ping the "server" PC from both of the others in question without a problem. I just tried "telnet 192.168.x.x xxxx" from the laptop and got the HTTP response, so it looks like it's connecting. The firewall on the desktop is disabled (we're behind a hardware firewall/router), and on the laptop I've set up rules/exceptions.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.... I love that it works for me at work, but it would be great if I could use it here at home as well, when I'm in the other room or whatever.

EDIT I just realized I didn't include any network hardware info.
DSL line -> Speedstream modem -> Netgear FR114P -> Linksys WRT54G. The "server" and other desktop are wired to the Netgear, and the laptop is connected wirelessly to the Linksys.

EDIT 2 I just discovered it's doing the same thing on MY computer (the one the "server" is running on) when I try to access it through IE. Firefox works great. And I was using Firefox at work. Not sure what my friend was using.... HELP!

Bulo

11-08-2006 09:10:50

I had the same kind of problem while accessing a server (in HTTP) from XP with IE. I found a note concerning this on the IBM web site.
The problem comes from IE when the server name contains the char '_'!

The solution for me was to create an alias in my DNS ...

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 15:43:33

but the name of the machine running the server software does not contain an underscore character. the name is "dabomb".

EDIT Actually none of the PC's on my home network have anything but letters in the name dabomb, trigger, keithlt, brevitas.

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 16:00:16

this morning I hauled out my old POS laptop which is on the verge of blowing up... (seriously) It's running XP Pro with all the latest patches. Here are the results of my tests

Firefox 1.5.0.6 Works great!

Opera 9.0.1 Works great

IE6 As soon as I enter the address and hit enter I get "page cannot be dsiplayed"

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 16:31:16

Strange. My friend that was accessing it yesterday says he was using IE.

I'm at work now, and can access it just fine w/ Firefox, but cannot with IE.

Bulo

11-08-2006 17:29:34

Take a look at your proxy settings ...

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 17:43:11

4 separate computers - 3 at home, 1 at work....

no proxy set on any of them.

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 18:11:35

another update.... one of the laptops that could not access it locally last night is now accessing it just fine remotely on IE.

So that's two separate instances of IE6 accessing it remotely w/o a problem.

And I forgot - I have IE7 beta installed here at work, so that could account for why it's not working in IE for me.

siit

12-08-2006 20:06:59

that might be the reason. can someone else try and confirm this? although I recall someone earlier mailing me and telling me that he used IE7 and it worked, but you never know..

DFWDraco76

13-08-2006 06:50:32

well even if that explains why I can't access it from work through IE7... (which isn't an issue since I use Firefox 99% of the time), it still doesn't explain why none of my PC's can access it locally using IE6....