vibe throu ssl?

sajko

09-08-2006 13:44:48

Is there any possibility to use SSL with vibe? Is there a function in the server application (cause i havent found one P) or is it just on the drawing board/not possible?

Amish

09-08-2006 13:47:18

Why would you want it to go through SSL?

sajko

09-08-2006 13:50:00

well i might want to secure my connection?

why do you usually want to use SSL?

Amish

09-08-2006 16:36:30

What is there to secure?

sajko

09-08-2006 16:54:36

well maybe i dont want unencrypted data going over my network, let alone outside my network.

Doesnt matter what kind of things it is... maybe im just paranoid

Amish

09-08-2006 16:57:49

o...k then thanks. And i dont know. There isnt really a demand for that feature

mysticc

10-08-2006 10:08:38

@amish

There are several requests for a ssl-connection in the forum, simply for security reasons.
The reason for "vibers" wishing this is really obvious.

Sending account and password in plaintext via the internet is a thing you normally would try to avoid.

So SSL-support would be a wished feature for some vibers.
However I don`t know how hard to implement this is.
From what I know it is not a great deal to get a certificate, it is possible to create one on your own with no need to use the major certification-companies, so no costs here, and I suppose this self-created certificate might be enough for Vibestreamer,.. but for the rest I have no clue what work Is needed to be done.

Conny

DFWDraco76

11-08-2006 04:13:37

I'd like to see that feature as well!!

Concept211

18-08-2006 22:47:24

You do realize that adding SSL will severely slow down your stream, right? Think about it, you're broadcasting large amounts of encrypted data on-the-fly. I can assure you that the most you'll get out of this are frequent buffering delays. wink

Concept211

18-08-2006 22:48:19

You do realize that adding SSL will severely slow down your stream, right? Think about it, you're broadcasting large amounts of encrypted data on-the-fly. I can assure you that the most you'll get out of this are frequent buffering delays. wink

Concept211

18-08-2006 22:48:37

better_tomorrow

26-08-2006 07:53:00

Do not attempt this before checking your country laws for encryption standards, if applicable.

You can achieve ssl connections for the vibe streamer via stunnel. (I have successfully done this.)

With a decent broadband connection and modern pc there shouldn't be any issues of "slowdown."

The only problem you'll probably run into is setting up stunnel. Stunnel setup information is sparse, but here is a modified tutorial (I originally wrote this for email connections)

Please note that this will probably only work in windows xp or server 2003.

First you need to download and install the following windows binary files (.exe). I recommend downloading and installing in the following order.

1) Active Perl
http//www.activestate.com/Products/Dow ... ActivePerl

2)Open SSL - names the directory Open SSL
http//www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

3) Stunnel - name the directory Stunnel
http//www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html

Fo this tutorial I am going to use C\Program Filess\SSL as the install directory for OpenSSL and Stunnel. C\Perl should be used as the default directory for Perl.

After all installations are completed create a .bat to avoid having to cd into the directories.

To do this create a standard text file anywhere. Now name the file "open from here" without the "".

Open the text file and type "cmd" without the "".

Now close the file and go to top of the directory window and click on the Tools menu. In the Tools Menu, click view, and uncheck the option "hide extensions for known file ypes." Click okay and close the Tools Menu. Now your "open from here" text file will read "open from here.txt", rename this file to .bat which will give you "open from here.bat"

Once you have done this simply drop and/or copy/paste the "open from here.bat" into your C\Program Files\SSL\Stunnel and C\Program Files\SSL\OpenSSL\bin directories.

Trust me this will save you alot of time and frustation if you do not know how to cd to directores.

Now we need to do two things to get stunnel working
Create a configuration file.
Create some certificates.

The configuration file is easy.

First go into the stunnel directory and right click on the stunnel.conf file, open it's property menu, assign the file to open with notepad. Now open the file and replace the text with this

cert = stunnel.pem
key = stunnel.pem

socket = lTCP_NODELAY=1
socket = rTCP_NODELAY=1

options = TLS_ROLLBACK_BUG
options = ALL

;verify = 1

CApath = C\Program Files\OpenSSL\bin\demoCA\certs
CRLpath = C\Program Files\OpenSSL\bin\demoCA\crls

debug = 7
output = stunnel.log

client = no

[https]
accept = 443
connect = 127.0.0.180
TIMEOUTclose = 0

;End of Configuration file

Now note that you can choose to use a different ssl port other than 443. Upon using port 443 and port 80 you can expect various intrusion attempts.

I recommend using off port like port 30553, in such a case you need to change the stunnel configuration file to read

[https]
accept = 30553
connect = 127.0.0.180
TIMEOUTclose = 0

127.0.0.180 - 127.0.0.1 being the local host ip and port 80 being the port vibe streamer is listening to.

Your link would then become https//yourserverdomain30553

This should cut down on port scans and intrusion attempts; after who uses port 30553, thus who would think to scan for it.

Now close and save the file.
Your configuration file is done.

Now all we need to do is create some certificates. Granted a few Linux and stunnel users will disagree with my methods, never the less there isn't a valid working windows tutorial that I've seen online; even the tutorial on the stunnel site doesn't work on windows. Thus my method was resolved through a lot of trial and error it should work on most windows systems.

1) Go into C\Program Files\OpenSSL\Bin and click on the "open from here.bat" you created earlier.

Follow the steps.
Type "ca.pl -newca" without the ""
Once prompted simply press enter
Now fill out the information requested

Question and Example Answers
Country name US
State or Province name WA
Locality Washington
Organization Name Company Name
Organizational Unit Name Company Division
Common Name (FQDN) Domain name or no ip address - you will need to enter a valid domain name here. If you don't have one then get one free from No Ip.

When prompted for a pass phase simply make one up; but don't lose the pass phase you made up. You may need this in the future with other
methods of certificate creation. I suggest you write it down some where. If ever lose the pass phase and need to create a new one, simply delete the demoCA and .rnd file, then start over.

Once you have answered all the questions about your certificate close the opened window.

This method creates the file needed for a certificate and it can be used to create the .pem stunnel requires; but I only use this method to create a directory for the ca and crls paths in the configuration file.

Now we need to create the actual stunnel certificate; to do this we need to go back into C\Program Files\SSL\Stunnel.

Here's where things get a little tricky You need need to create a folder called OpenSSL in the Stunnel directory. In this new OpenSSL folder we need to copy the openssl.exe file from CProgram Files\SSL\OpenSSL\bin to C\Program Files\SSL\Stunnel\OpenSSL via right click, copy, and paste. Plus we need the libeay32.dll, libssl32.dll, ssleay32.dll files from the C\Windows\system32 copied into the C\Program Files\SSL\Stunnel\Open SSL directory. (DO NOT PLACE ANY OF THESE FILES DIRECTLY INTO THE STUNNEL FOLDER. ) If you do then stunnel will not work. Stunnel will not work with Open SSL 9.8a. The version of openssl we are using to create certificates must remain seperate from the version stunnel uses for connections.) We also need to place a copy of our "open from here.bat into the new OpenSSL folder.

*******Modified*******

Last I checked Stunnel 4.20 will work fine with OpenSSL v0.9.8e, thus the libeay32.dll, libssl32.dll, ssleay32.dll files can be copied from the C\Windows\system32 into the C\Program Files\SSL\Stunnel\Open SSL directory. This will actually update Stunnel, however I do recommend that you save a backup to the original files as a precaution.

*******Modified*******

Once this is done we are ready to create a certificate.

Open your "open from here.bat file" and paste this command into it

openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes -out stunnel.pem -keyout stunnel.pem

Now fill out the information as you did before and copy the .rnd file and the stunnel.pem into your stunnel directory. If prompted to replace the existing files then click okay.

Stunnel should start up without any problems and begin accepting SSL connections whenever requested.

If you want create longer valid certifcates then simply edit openssl file that looks like a pc with a globe in the background located in C\Program Files\SSL\Open SSL\bin This file needs to be opened from notepad, you will need to tell notepad to look for all file (extensions) in the directory - not just text files. Once open, look for and change the line - default_days from 365 to whatever, I use 1825 for 5 years. Close and save the file.

Now recreate your certificate with this command
openssl req -new -x509 -days 1825 -nodes -out stunnel.pem -keyout stunnel.pem

You will now have a five year long certificate.

Lastly don't forget to go back into the Tools menu of any windows directory and under view restore the default settings; this is to avoid changing any other file extension by accident.

I hope this tutorial helps.

siit

27-08-2006 16:38:04

Anyone interested in trying this out and telling me how it went, since if it work's ill make this a sticky..

sajko

27-08-2006 17:12:22

okey, this seems like a good workaround for what i wanted )... ill try it out when i have time for it... sadly it wont be for a atleast a week or so.

better_tomorrow

01-09-2006 03:05:53

It seems like a lot of people want an ssl methond for various reasons and applications including vibe streamer.

My method is a little long, but I just want to let everyone know that I'm working on basic user interface which will copy and insert the various configuration and commands after the various application are installed.

Hopefully this will allow most users to point and click their way into ssl.

I don't know when I'll be complete with the interface, but whenever I do I'll post it here.

ronin2040

15-12-2006 04:12:34

would it be possible to implement a solution that only uses SSL for the login? That would avoid any slowdown, and personally, I dont see a reason that I would need my audio encrypted....just more traffic for my poor 512k connection @ work to have to deal with...

better_tomorrow

20-12-2006 01:27:43

Since the vibe streamer application is not a native ssl application you will still need to setup stunnel and probably make some minor updates to the certain code aspects.

As of current, I have modified certain aspects of my personal vibe streamer to suite my needs. Modifications such as running the "player" as a version 9 swf instead of a version 7/with actionscript 2. Currently, I am attempting to rewrite the actionscript 2 to actionscript 3.

During this process I will review the "other" coding to see if login only ssl is possible.

If it is, then I will add the feature option to the software I am (slowly) creating which will add ssl via stunnel to non native applications within a few simple clicks.

better_tomorrow

18-03-2007 18:22:12

I just want to let everyone know that I have abandoned building an SSL installer.

The project was simple enough thus completed, but apparently there are laws in various countries regarding this sort of encryption so in an effort to avoid legal difficulties I abandoned the project.

However, the originally information I posted should work; also note that I slightly modified the original post to update information. Never the less, all of you should check your country laws before attempting any form of encryption.

fsg

31-05-2007 10:42:01

1 - Install Hamachi (by LogmeIn - there is a free version) on your PC that has VibeStreamer server installed on it, create your group in Hamachi, configure VibeStreamer to use the Hamachi interface.

2 - Install Hamachi on your client PC, join the new group from your client and go to
"http//hamachi_ip_of_yor_StreamServerport"
and you have 256bit encription.
Authentication is done using RSA key-pair.

PS. I'm not affiliated with LogmeIn, and hope this doesn't count as advertising. D

better_tomorrow

12-06-2007 15:18:19

In a way it does seem as if Hamachi will work. I think it's a great idea, but I do see one flaw the fact that the servers are controlled by LogMeIn. Therefore, any data from potential copyright violations can be easily subpoenaed through LogMeIn.

Where as with Stunnel or Zebedee, the software server is hosted on your pc as such with regular data erase sweeps, you're pretty much in the clear.

Granted I'm not saying vibestreamer is illegal, and I am not condoning copyright infringement; I'm just saying that US laws change easily as such it never hurts to be careful.

Freakz_

22-09-2007 21:15:03

Hey everyone!
I tride the Stunnel guide that better_tomorrow wrote and it workes.
Thanks dude! D
If anybody is intreseted I can try to script the installation process.

(My reason for wanting an SSL tunnel is so that the guys monitoring our firewall at work wount se what i’m up to.) lol

Chears!
Freakz_

better_tomorrow

16-10-2007 15:22:18

After a lot of trial and error I've decided that this is the best way to create certificates and set up ssl with stunnel.

First you need three programs.

(Note encryption is certain countries is illegal, hence this information is for educational purposes only. Checking the laws regarding encryption in your country is YOUR responsibility. Hence I will not be held liable for any action of any user in usage of this educational material.)

1.) Active Perl[/url212ch15g] - Install in the default location || Reboot after install.

2.) [url=http://www.slproweb.com/download/Win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8e.exe212ch15g]Open SSL[/url212ch15g] - Install in C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl

3.) [url=http://www.stunnel.org/download/stunnel/win32/stunnel-4.20-installer.exe212ch15g]Stunnel[/url212ch15g] - Install to folder C\Program Files\Ssl\Stunnel.

Now go into C\Program Files\Ssl\Stunnel and create a basic batch file. Right click anywhere on the screen in C\Program Files\Ssl\Stunnel, go to New, click on Text Document. Open the new text document, enter the word cmd, save, and exit. Go to the context menu || Tools ||View || Un-check hide extensions for known file types|| Click Of || Rename your New Text Document to Open from here.bat || Press Enter. Go back to the context menu || Tools ||View || Recheck hide extensions for known file types|| Rename your New Text Document to Open from here.bat || Click Ok. Alsp place a copy this batch file in C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin.

From Start (on the lower left hand corner of Windows XP/Server 2003) || All Programs || go to accessories || Notepad || - in the notepad context menu go to File || Open (make sure open change Files of type from .txt to any or all files || Proceed to open C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin\openssl(the file will look like an icon of a computer.) Scroll through the gibberish and when you come to default_days = 365, add a zero to make it 3650. || Also scroll for default_bits = 1024 change to 3072. || Save, then Save as openssl.conf and exit Notepad.

Go to C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin, and create this directory tree if it doesn't exist already || Right click || New || Folder || Create a folder and name it CADir || create three folder inside of CADir and name them certs, crls, and private. Now go back to C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin open the "Open from here" batch file you create/copied earlier.

Now type this command in the command prompt.

ca.pl -newca

Question and Example Answers
Country name US
State or Province name WA
Locality Washington
Organization Name Company Name
Organizational Unit Name Company Division
Common Name (FQDN) Domain name or no ip address - you will need to enter a valid domain name here. If you don't have one then get one free from No Ip.
(If prompted for a pass phrase - make one up, but don't forget it because you'll need it if occasionally.)

After you finish creating this process enter this

openssl req -new -x509 -days 3650 -keyout C\Progra~1\SSL\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\private\CAkey.pem -out C\Progra~1\SSL\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\CAcert.pem -config C\Progra~1\SSL\OpenSSL\bin\openssl.conf

Enter the same answers to the question you stated above; if prompted for a pass phrase - enter the one you created.

Lastly enter

openssl rsa -in C\Progra~1\SSL\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\private\CAkey.pem -out C\Progra~1\SSL\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\NECAkey.pem

If prompted for a pass phrase - enter the one you created.

Now change the name of the new CAcert.pem to Stunnel.pem and change NECAkey.pem to key.pem (these files will either be in C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin or C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin\CADir. *Note* Don't use the files in C\Program Files\Ssl\OpenSsl\bin\CADir\private as these files won't work correctly.)

Copy key.pem, stunnel.pem and .rnd to C\Program Files\Ssl\Stunnel. If prompted to replace the existing file(s) click yes.

Now go into C\Windows || System 32 || and search for libeay32.dll, libssl32.dll, and ssleay32.dll || Copy all three files to C\Program Files\Ssl\Stunnel if they're not there already.

Lastly, open stunnel.conf with notepad and delete all the old text, copy in this new text

cert = stunnel.pem
key = key.pem

CAfile = C\Program Files\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\CAcert.pem
CApath = C\Program Files\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\certs
CRLpath = C\Program Files\OpenSSL\bin\CADir\crls

;verify = 1

socket = lTCP_NODELAY=1
socket = rTCP_NODELAY=1

options = TLS_ROLLBACK_BUG
options = ALL

debug = 7
output = stunnel.log

client = no

[https]
accept = 443
connect = 127.0.0.180
TIMEOUTclose = 0

;[pop3s]
;accept = 995
;connect = 110

;[imaps]
;accept = 993
;delay = yes
;connect = 143

;[ssmtp]
;accept = 465
;connect = 25

*Note~ I recommend using off ports like port 30553, in such a case you need to change the stunnel configuration file to read

[https]
accept = 30553
connect = 127.0.0.180
TIMEOUTclose = 0

127.0.0.180 - 127.0.0.1 being the local host ip and port 80 being the web port , 30553 being the secure port.

Your link would then becomes
https//yourserverdomain30553

This should cut down on port scans and intrusion attempts; consider this - who uses port 30553, thus who would think to scan for it.

Also to activate a feature like the email just remove the semicolon to turn off a feature add a semicolon to the front of the text line.

Now go into Start || All Programs || Stunnel || install the service || start the service.

There you go - full/free encryption for non native applications.